UCSD p-System - CP/M

This is a discussion on UCSD p-System - CP/M ; I finished documentation about how the system is configured for z80pack and how I rebuild the p-code interpreters: http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/doc_ucsd.html With the disk images and documentation provided it is possible, to get the UCSD p-Systems working on any 8080/8085/Z80 system, that ...

  1. UCSD p-System

    I finished documentation about how the system is configured for z80pack
    and how I rebuild the p-code interpreters:
    http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/doc_ucsd.html

    With the disk images and documentation provided it is possible, to get
    the UCSD p-Systems working on any 8080/8085/Z80 system, that was able to
    run CP/M 2.

    I also added a few disks with interesting application software from the
    USUS library, so that you have some stuff to tinker with.

    Enjoy,
    Udo Munk

  2. Re: UCSD p-System

    Slight twist here. I have UCSD p-System that boots an Osborne
    Executive. Additionally, there are disks including CP/M 2.2. I
    received these several years ago from Mr. Don Maslin. Question is:
    What is the best method for preserving these images for others that my
    need them? Several copies have been made using the native machine, but
    once it is gone I will not have a method to reproduce the disks.

    Regards,

    Ernst

    On Aug 31, 4:50*pm, Udo Munk wrote:
    > I finished documentation about how the system is configured for z80pack
    > and how I rebuild the p-code interpreters:http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/doc_ucsd.html
    >
    > With the disk images and documentation provided it is possible, to get
    > the UCSD p-Systems working on any 8080/8085/Z80 system, that was able to
    > run CP/M 2.
    >
    > I also added a few disks with interesting application software from the
    > USUS library, so that you have some stuff to tinker with.
    >
    > Enjoy,
    > Udo Munk
    > --
    > The real fun is building it and then using it...

  3. Re: UCSD p-System

    Ernst wrote:

    > What is the best method for preserving these images for others that my
    > need them?

    Dave Dunfield's 'imagedisk' program works well

    http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

  4. Re: UCSD p-System

    Ernst schrieb:
    > Slight twist here. I have UCSD p-System that boots an Osborne
    > Executive. Additionally, there are disks including CP/M 2.2. I
    > received these several years ago from Mr. Don Maslin. Question is:
    > What is the best method for preserving these images for others that my
    > need them? Several copies have been made using the native machine, but
    > once it is gone I will not have a method to reproduce the disks.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ernst

    The only way is to create an image file from the disks and store this
    files on the Internet. Unfortunately there is no central place anymore
    for this kind of archive. Seems the universities all are running short
    on budged and can't host such stuff anymore. So best is to distribute
    such disk images to multiple places, like bitsavers, Gaby's CP/M
    archive, etc.

    One possible solution for this would be using a Linux system with floppy
    disk drivers for many disk formats, and then using 'dd' to create an
    image file. Also for Windows systems there are such tools available,
    that can read a disk and create an image file, 'imagedisk' was mentioned
    already.

    Udo Munk

  5. Re: UCSD p-System

    Hi Udo,
    Just a quick "thank you" for all the work that you have done.
    Soon I'll get around to checking out your UCSD stuff. In the interim
    I'm very grateful to you for your work which will most likely bring some of
    my old machines alive!

    Cheers,

    Laurie Boshell

  6. Re: UCSD p-System

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 09:07:24 +0000, Laurie Boshell wrote:

    > Hi Udo,
    > Just a quick "thank you" for all the work that you have done.
    > Soon I'll get around to checking out your UCSD stuff. In the interim
    > I'm very grateful to you for your work which will most likely bring some of
    > my old machines alive!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Laurie Boshell

    Hi Laurie,

    you are welcome. I'm glad that I got this ancient software working again,
    I enjoyed using in the 80s. Running it on 21th century equipment is pretty
    cool, and if it helps to bring some old machines alive again, good then
    too.

    Udo Munk