old BYTE title-pages - CP/M

This is a discussion on old BYTE title-pages - CP/M ; [Yes, it is not CP/M-related] I have got yesterday the new issue of the german computer journal C'T. It has as usual some nice graphic on its first page: http://www.heise.de/ct/icons/titel/ct1908.gif BUT: This reminds me much of an old BYTE cover ...

  1. old BYTE title-pages

    [Yes, it is not CP/M-related]

    I have got yesterday the new issue of the german computer
    journal C'T. It has as usual some nice graphic on its first
    page:

    http://www.heise.de/ct/icons/titel/ct1908.gif

    BUT: This reminds me much of an old BYTE cover page, there
    one human hand painted a robot-lke hand which in turn plot-
    ted the human hand. Some sort/mix of Escher & Dürer...

    Does anybody know which issue of BYTE?
    Is there anywhere an URL of this cover?

    I do not find it with 'google' as "BYTE" "COVER" are very
    general search-words...

    Yours, Holger

  2. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 17:32:02 +0000 (UTC), Holger Petersen
    wrote:

    >[Yes, it is not CP/M-related]
    >
    >I have got yesterday the new issue of the german computer
    >journal C'T. It has as usual some nice graphic on its first
    >page:
    >
    > http://www.heise.de/ct/icons/titel/ct1908.gif
    >
    >BUT: This reminds me much of an old BYTE cover page, there
    >one human hand painted a robot-lke hand which in turn plot-
    >ted the human hand. Some sort/mix of Escher & Dürer...
    >
    >Does anybody know which issue of BYTE?
    >Is there anywhere an URL of this cover?
    >
    >I do not find it with 'google' as "BYTE" "COVER" are very
    >general search-words...
    >

    >Yours, Holger

    The artist is Robert Tinney if memory has the spelling right and I can
    easily visualize that cover. I've sen a cover of that on the net
    too.

    Allison

  3. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    wrote:

    >[Yes, it is not CP/M-related]
    >
    >I have got yesterday the new issue of the german computer
    >journal C'T. It has as usual some nice graphic on its first
    >page:
    >
    > http://www.heise.de/ct/icons/titel/ct1908.gif
    >
    >BUT: This reminds me much of an old BYTE cover page, there
    >one human hand painted a robot-lke hand which in turn plot-
    >ted the human hand. Some sort/mix of Escher & Dürer...
    >
    >Does anybody know which issue of BYTE?
    >Is there anywhere an URL of this cover?
    >
    >I do not find it with 'google' as "BYTE" "COVER" are very
    >general search-words...
    >

    >Yours, Holger

    more exacting.... http://www.tinney.net/Prints/16x20/index.htm

    Allison

  4. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    Hello, Holger!

    > BUT: This reminds me much of an old BYTE cover page, there
    > one human hand painted a robot-lke hand which in turn plot-
    > ted the human hand. Some sort/mix of Escher & Dürer...

    Yes, I remember it, too. He copied a famous drawing by Esher (famous for his
    recursive drawings, which were a novelty for people without computers),
    which can be found on the Internet.

    > I do not find it with 'google' as "BYTE" "COVER" are very
    > general search-words...

    Me, I used Google -- Image -- "byte cover" tinney, but the hand is missing,
    unfortunately.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  5. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    "Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France" writes:

    >Me, I used Google -- Image -- "byte cover" tinney, but the hand is missing,
    >unfortunately.

    Many thanks to all; I found:

    http://www.tinney.net/Prints/16x20/a.jpg

    Greetings, Holger

  6. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    No, that is not it. The Robert Tiney Byte cover in question is almost
    EXACTLY like the German magazine cover that the OP referred to. I
    remember it, and I probably have it (I have every issue of Byte from the
    first issue to about 1985) but they are boxed up in the basement.

    Holger Petersen wrote:
    > "Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France" writes:
    >

    >> Me, I used Google -- Image -- "byte cover" tinney, but the hand is missing,
    >> unfortunately.

    > Many thanks to all; I found:
    >
    > http://www.tinney.net/Prints/16x20/a.jpg
    >
    > Greetings, Holger

  7. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    On 2008-09-02, Barry Watzman wrote:
    > No, that is not it. The Robert Tiney Byte cover in question is almost
    > EXACTLY like the German magazine cover that the OP referred to. I
    > remember it, and I probably have it (I have every issue of Byte from the
    > first issue to about 1985) but they are boxed up in the basement.

    I also remember it vividly. The background is green. I also have it in
    one of my storage sheds, but that doesn't really narrow it down much.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  8. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    1979
    I see one on ebay right now.
    -J
    --
    jgarza@sdf.lonestar.org

  9. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    February, 1979.

    john garza wrote:
    > 1979
    > I see one on ebay right now.
    > -J

  10. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    Barry Watzman writes:

    >February, 1979.

    Yes, You've got it:

    http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/08/3d/982a_1.JPG

    Thanks, Holger

  11. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    Hello, Holger!

    > Yes, You've got it:

    Indeed, this is the one I remembered.

    While searching for it, I noticed that Tinney NEVER shows the images that he
    made, copying other artists... (I am thinking to the cover of the "ProLog"
    issue of BYTE, which had a 3D drawing from "esher".)

    To see the original, from a man called "M.C. Esher", using Google -- Images,
    type:

    M.C. Esher "drawing hands"

    and compare with Tinney.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  12. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    Hello,

    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France wrote in message
    <48bd8191$0$893$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>...

    >To see the original, from a man called "M.C. Esher", using Google -- Images,
    >type:
    >
    >M.C. Esher "drawing hands"
    >
    >and compare with Tinney.
    >
    >Yours Sincerely,
    >Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

    It's Escher.

    Greetz, Katzy.

  13. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    On Sep 2, 3:39*pm, Barry Watzman wrote:
    > February, 1979.

    There's also a scanned version of the magazine at this site:

    http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/MAGAZINE/BYTE/

    /Tomas

  14. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    'This month's cover, "Closing the Loop", by Ken Lodding, is our version of
    the famous original, "Ftawing Hands" by the Dutch artist Maurits Cornell
    Escher (1898-1969). Much os Escher's work deals with mathematical subjects,
    and the idea of a robot hand drawing a human hand (and vice versa) seems
    particularly appropriate to this month's theme of robotics."

    Byte, February 1979, p. 4

  15. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    On 8/31/08 2:52 PM, in article g4qlb49bbu1msherdcqlf3pcdtq0h9nfag@4ax.com,
    "no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net" wrote:

    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 17:32:02 +0000 (UTC), Holger Petersen
    > wrote:
    >

    >> [Yes, it is not CP/M-related]
    >>
    >> I have got yesterday the new issue of the german computer
    >> journal C'T. It has as usual some nice graphic on its first
    >> page:
    >>
    >> http://www.heise.de/ct/icons/titel/ct1908.gif
    >>
    >> BUT: This reminds me much of an old BYTE cover page, there
    >> one human hand painted a robot-lke hand which in turn plot-
    >> ted the human hand. Some sort/mix of Escher & Dürer...
    >>
    >> Does anybody know which issue of BYTE?
    >> Is there anywhere an URL of this cover?
    >>
    >> I do not find it with 'google' as "BYTE" "COVER" are very
    >> general search-words...
    >>

    >> Yours, Holger

    > more exacting.... http://www.tinney.net/Prints/16x20/index.htm
    >
    > Allison

    I have some of his prints on the wall in my office here. I have "Crystal
    Ball" (the Altair), "Software" (a printout coming out of a screen), and
    "Simulation" (two guys at a flight sim screen), all going along with my
    theme of emulation software (the Altair32).

    They come flat-packed and I took them to a local picture framing place and
    had them professionally mounted with gray matting and black frames.

    Rich

  16. Re: old BYTE title-pages

    "Holger Petersen" wrote in message

    > [Yes, it is not CP/M-related]
    >
    > I have got yesterday the new issue of the german computer
    > journal C'T. It has as usual some nice graphic on its first
    > page:
    >
    > http://www.heise.de/ct/icons/titel/ct1908.gif
    >
    > BUT: This reminds me much of an old BYTE cover page, there
    > one human hand painted a robot-lke hand which in turn plot-
    > ted the human hand. Some sort/mix of Escher & Dürer...
    >
    > Does anybody know which issue of BYTE?
    > Is there anywhere an URL of this cover?
    >
    > I do not find it with 'google' as "BYTE" "COVER" are very
    > general search-words...
    >

    > Yours, Holger

    I think the one you have in mind was in 1979. Not sure of the month though.
    You may want to check ebay for back issues. This is not the same as
    Tinney's "Reflections".

    -John

+ Reply to Thread