WANTED: BYTE Article - CP/M

This is a discussion on WANTED: BYTE Article - CP/M ; Is anybody out there who has the following BYTE article: - "The NEC APC-III: A Business Computer with MS-DOS and Color Graphics" Greg Corson BYTE, Vol.10, No.3, March 1985, p.256 (in the same issue, there is an article on the ...

  1. WANTED: BYTE Article

    Is anybody out there
    who has the following BYTE article:

    - "The NEC APC-III: A Business Computer with MS-DOS and Color Graphics"
    Greg Corson
    BYTE, Vol.10, No.3, March 1985, p.256

    (in the same issue, there is an article on the Altos 585 running XENIX)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  2. Re: WANTED: BYTE Article

    On 31 Aug, 07:35, "Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France"
    wrote:
    > Is anybody out there
    > who has the following BYTE article:
    >
    > - "The NEC APC-III: A Business Computer with MS-DOS and Color Graphics"
    > * * Greg Corson
    > * * BYTE, Vol.10, No.3, March 1985, p.256

    Sorry, not this issue. Have you tried emailing the Classiccmp cctalk
    list, or asked on the VC Forum http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/

    I'm sure someone will help with a scan,

    Regards,
    John

  3. Re: WANTED: BYTE Article

    Hello, John!

    >> - "The NEC APC-III: A Business Computer with MS-DOS and Color Graphics"
    >> Greg Corson
    >> BYTE, Vol.10, No.3, March 1985, p.256

    > Sorry, not this issue. Have you tried emailing the Classiccmp cctalk
    > list, or asked on the VC Forum http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/
    >
    > I'm sure someone will help with a scan,

    Many thanks for your suggestion. I need this article to understand better
    why Dr. Logo runs under CP/M-86 and DR-DOS (with CPM86.EXE), but not the
    MS-DOS version, found only for the NEC APC-III. (I think that I know why,
    but I would prefer to see in print what they were saying about this
    computer.)

    Ha! By the way, Janny Looyenga, a Dutchwoman known as "Katzy", is pleased to
    announce to people who would like to try a Logo interpreter under CP/M-86,
    that she has set up a Web page dealing with Dr. Logo.

    http://www.nostalgia8.nl/drlogo.htm

    With its VGA graphics, Dr. Logo is now the most powerful Programming
    Language available under CP/M-86 (but you can sample it under MS-DOS, with
    CPM86.EXE).

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  4. Re: WANTED: BYTE Article

    "Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France" wrote in

    > Hello, John!
    >
    >>> - "The NEC APC-III: A Business Computer with MS-DOS and Color
    >>> Graphics" Greg Corson
    >>> BYTE, Vol.10, No.3, March 1985, p.256

    > Many thanks for your suggestion. I need this article to understand
    > better why Dr. Logo runs under CP/M-86 and DR-DOS (with CPM86.EXE),
    > but not the MS-DOS version, found only for the NEC APC-III. (I think
    > that I know why, but I would prefer to see in print what they were
    > saying about this computer.)

    I've spent a lot of time with the NEC APC (rather unfortunately ). I'll
    look tonight and see if I have this issue of the BYTE magazine.
    Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the old NEC manuals. [We used to
    run both CP/M and MS-DOS on them.]

    jmk

    James M. Knox
    TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
    1300 Koenig Lane West fax 512-371-5716
    Suite 200
    Austin, Tx 78756 jknox@trisoft.com

  5. Re: WANTED: BYTE Article

    Hello, James!

    > I've spent a lot of time with the NEC APC (rather unfortunately ).

    I'll
    > look tonight and see if I have this issue of the BYTE magazine.
    > Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the old NEC manuals. [We used

    > run both CP/M and MS-DOS on them.]

    Many thanks, but I am afraid that you are talking about the NEC APC, while I
    am talking about the NEC APC-III, an IBM Clown with a NEC uPD7220 GDC
    instead of the rotten GDC chosen by IBM (IBM = MBI in reverse = Made By
    Idiots).

    I had heard about the NEC APC and its two 8" floppy disk drives, running
    CP/M-86. In this particular case, it is Rich Beaudry (if I remember well)
    that got a lot of GSX-86 stuff, and among them was Dr. logo for MS-DOS, but
    running only under the NEC APC-III. So, I tried to find one NEC APC-III
    emulator, but never managed to find one.

    By the way, this raises the question: Is there another MS-DOS computer which
    was using the NEC uPD7220 GDC for its graphics? If one emulator was existing
    for it, then we could patch Dr. Logo...

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  6. Re: WANTED: BYTE Article

    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France skrev:

    > By the way, this raises the question: Is there another MS-DOS computer which
    > was using the NEC uPD7220 GDC for its graphics? If one emulator was existing
    > for it, then we could patch Dr. Logo...

    For the Digital Rainbow there was an GS-2 board with uPD7220
    i think it run with CP/M-86, (still digging disks w/o luck),

    Also there was RC Partner 750 running Concurrent DOS.

    And for CP/M-80 i do have an Jet-80G.

    all with uPD7220...

    > Yours Sincerely,
    > Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  7. Re: WANTED: BYTE Article

    On 2008-09-13, Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France wrote:
    > By the way, this raises the question: Is there another MS-DOS computer which
    > was using the NEC uPD7220 GDC for its graphics? If one emulator was existing
    > for it, then we could patch Dr. Logo...

    DEC Rainbow.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  8. Re: WANTED: BYTE Article

    Hello, Ole and Roger!

    I investigated the DEC Rainbow.

    --------------
    The Rainbow 100 was a microcomputer introduced by Digital Equipment
    Corporation (DEC) in 1982 to compete in the IBM PC market. This desktop unit
    had the video-terminal display circuitry from the VT102, a video monitor
    similar to the VT220 in a box with both Z80 and 8088 CPUs. The Rainbow 100
    was a triple-boot machine: VT102 mode, CP/M mode (using the Z80), and
    CP/M-86 or MS-DOS mode using the 8088.

    A benefit of the Rainbow was that it could continue to run 8-bit CP/M
    software as users moved into the 16-bit world of MS-DOS. The disadvantage
    was that little DOS software was released on Rainbow media and there were
    subtle differences between MS-DOS, as run on a Rainbow, and MS-DOS (or
    PC-DOS) running on true IBM PC compatibles. Towards the end of its life,
    Rainbow users were able to run IBM PC compatible MS-DOS software using an
    emulation application called Code Blue.
    ------------

    So, this sounds interesting, but I have not been able to find a DEC Rainbow
    emulator...

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  9. Re: WANTED: BYTE Article

    > Hello, James!
    >
    > Many thanks, but I am afraid that you are talking about the NEC APC,
    > while I am talking about the NEC APC-III, an IBM Clown with a NEC
    > uPD7220 GDC instead of the rotten GDC chosen by IBM (IBM = MBI in
    > reverse = Made By Idiots).

    Regardless, I just sent you an e:mail with a link to the zipped article you
    wanted.

    http://s90746988.onlinehome.us/test/nec_apc.zip

    If you have any problem reading it, just let me know.

    James M. Knox
    TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
    1300 Koenig Lane West fax 512-371-5716
    Suite 200
    Austin, Tx 78756 jknox@trisoft.com

  10. Re: WANTED: BYTE Article

    Hello, James!

    > Regardless, I just sent you an e:mail with a link to the zipped article

    you
    > wanted.
    >
    > If you have any problem reading it, just let me know.

    Ok. I printed it this morning. Unfortunately, except saying that the text
    display was much better than the one of the IBM PC (I notice that everybody
    who try a computer using a NEC uPD7220 GDC for its display remarks the same
    thing...), I did not find many information. In short, he used WordStar 3.30
    and Multiplan under MS-DOS 2.11, on a computer with much better
    text/graphics display than the IBM Clown.

    Anyway, thank you very much for having done something.

    You can now erase the ZIP file.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

+ Reply to Thread