OT: TTL and/or CMOS tester - CP/M

This is a discussion on OT: TTL and/or CMOS tester - CP/M ; Is there anyboby who knows if exists and where to buy a black box that could test this type of chips? It has to be a box on which to insert the TTL chip and its has to testi it ...

  1. OT: TTL and/or CMOS tester

    Is there anyboby who knows if exists and where to buy a black box that could
    test this type of chips?
    It has to be a box on which to insert the TTL chip and its has to testi it
    discovering its name and testing all its finction.
    Thank
    Enrico

  2. Re: OT: TTL and/or CMOS tester

    Enrico Lazzerini schrieb:

    > Is there anyboby who knows if exists and where to buy a black box that could
    > test this type of chips?
    > It has to be a box on which to insert the TTL chip and its has to testi it
    > discovering its name and testing all its finction.

    The universal programmers of HiLo Systems (http://www.hilo-systems.com)
    have this feature. Don't know if it's really reliable, but at a few
    tests we made the correct chips were detected.

    Tilmann

  3. Re: OT: TTL and/or CMOS tester

    Well, such a device does (or at least did) exist, I have one. It was
    about $150 and I bought it about 6 to 8 years ago. It has a ZIF socket
    (20 pin) and you put the device into it ... TTL, CMOS and a surprisingly
    large number of memory chips ... press a "test" button and it tells you
    the device type and test results (e.g. "7475" and "OK!" or "Bad!") on an
    LCD display. In a few cases, it can't figure out the device type and
    you have to scroll through a list to manually select it then press test;
    the control panel has a wide single line LCD display and 6 buttons. The
    device is about 4" wide and 8" tall and powered by a 9-volt battery (or
    an external "wall wart").

    The device is called a "Handy Tester TPT-100" and it's made by "Tribal
    Microsystems" [the voo-doo doll accessory is optional :-) ]

    Unfortunately I do not remember where I bought it.

    I can find no reference to this device anywhere on the internet, and it
    is a wonderful device. However, Tribal Microsystems does still exist,
    they are at http://www.tribalmicro.com (the logo on the web site is the
    same as the logo on the device, and the products that they do list are
    of a similar genre (e.g. PROM programmers, etc.).

    I also recall a built it yourself article for a similar device a LONG
    time ago in Popular Electronics or Radio Electronics or some other now
    defunct electronics magazine.

    Enrico Lazzerini wrote:
    > Is there anyboby who knows if exists and where to buy a black box that could
    > test this type of chips?
    > It has to be a box on which to insert the TTL chip and its has to testi it
    > discovering its name and testing all its finction.
    > Thank
    > Enrico

  4. Re: OT: TTL and/or CMOS tester

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:43:53 +0200, "Enrico Lazzerini"
    wrote:

    >Is there anyboby who knows if exists and where to buy a black box that could
    >test this type of chips?
    >It has to be a box on which to insert the TTL chip and its has to testi it
    >discovering its name and testing all its finction.

    Believe it or not, MITS, the Altair people, made such a thing before
    they started selling Altairs. Those guys were hobbiests all the way!

    As for the Tribal testers, seems to me Jade, the guys in Thief River,
    and JDR all sold them.

    As it happens, I've got two. One's just a spare. And I think I've got
    two of another, memory-only tester. And, the MITS one. It's crude!

    Oh, yeah ... it's Digikey, in Thief River.

    Try those three and see if something turns up.

    Bill

+ Reply to Thread