Anyone using an ASR-33 teletype with a Telebyte 65A converter? - CP/M

This is a discussion on Anyone using an ASR-33 teletype with a Telebyte 65A converter? - CP/M ; On Nov 3, 5:53*pm, "Tom Lake" wrote: > >> There's a guy who still sells those on eBay. *They're BIN @ $175.00 > >> but I need a punch as well and I only have serial ports and his unit ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 45 of 45

  1. Re: Anyone using an ASR-33 teletype with a Telebyte 65A converter?

    On Nov 3, 5:53*pm, "Tom Lake" wrote:
    > >> There's a guy who still sells those on eBay. *They're BIN @ $175.00
    > >> but I need a punch as well and I only have serial ports and his unit
    > >> uses a parallel port.

    > > That seems pretty expensive to me. *The one I remember was mostly
    > > just the phototransistors and buffers, and latches the data on
    > > the index hole.

    > Yes but for those of us who couldn't build our own if our life depended
    > on it, $175 is reasonable for a device that provides a needed capability.
    >
    > Tom Lake

    ----
    Have you got a link or URL for that eBay seller by any chance? I
    couldn't find it.

    I'm kind of interested in what these go for because I've got a few PPT
    readers and perfs, and if it's worth while I might spend some time
    this winter on cleaning them up a bit and interfacing them, and
    retiring on the enormous profits ;-).

    I guess even the punch would have to be RS-232, since many old systems
    don't have a parallel OUT port either?

    mike

  2. Re: Anyone using an ASR-33 teletype with a Telebyte 65A converter?

    On Oct 30, 6:55*pm, ArarghMail810NOS...@NOT.AT.Arargh.com wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:56:37 -0500, CBFalconer
    > wrote:
    >

    > >John Crane wrote:

    > >> That's my memory from high school too!

    > >> We beat the hell out of those machines and they still kept working.

    > >> Nothing like the flicker of LEDs, the smell of hot oil, and earplugs.

    > >> For those unfamiliar with working on those old beasts - it's more
    > >> like working on your car than a computer... there's belts, camshafts,
    > >> oil, relays, a distributor, a motor... and not a chip in sight.
    > >> Although there a a few power transistors in mine.

    > >My major memory is that they had to be turned off, otherwise the
    > >engaging clutches would seize up within a year. *Our applications
    > >needed them running, so they could receive medical messages. *

    > I am pretty sure that TTYs required routine preventive maintenance. *
    > I once knew a firm that did just that.
    >
    > >We were saved when Epsom printers appeared, i.e. the MX80.

    > When those kinds of printers started appearing, the owner of that same
    > firm did some tests. *He would connect the printer to a character
    > generater, give it all the paper it wanted, and wait until it died.
    > The only printer that he gave up on waiting to die was an OkiData
    > ML82. *I bought one of them in about 1976. *Still have it. *Still
    > works as of the last time I used it some 5 or 10 years ago. *I would
    > probably have trouble finding ribbons for it now - Okidata ribbons,
    > that is.
    > --
    > ArarghMail810 at [drop the 'http://www.'from ->]http://www.arargh.com
    > BCET Basic Compiler Page:http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html
    >
    > To reply by email, remove the extra stuff from the reply address.- Hide quoted text -

    -----
    Just in case anybody has a use for one, I've got some high-speed
    (19.2) serial interface boards for the OKI ML82/83 printers, as well
    as one of the Epson models.

  3. Re: Anyone using an ASR-33 teletype with a Telebyte 65A converter?

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 12:19:01 -0800 (PST), MikeS
    wrote:

    >Just in case anybody has a use for one, I've got some high-speed
    >(19.2) serial interface boards for the OKI ML82/83 printers, as well
    >as one of the Epson models.

    So do I. :-) For the ML82/83.

    --
    ArarghMail811 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
    BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

    To reply by email, remove the extra stuff from the reply address.

  4. Re: Anyone using an ASR-33 teletype with a Telebyte 65A converter?

    >> > That seems pretty expensive to me. The one I remember was mostly
    >> > just the phototransistors and buffers, and latches the data on
    >> > the index hole.

    >> Yes but for those of us who couldn't build our own if our life depended
    >> on it, $175 is reasonable for a device that provides a needed capability.
    >>
    >> Tom Lake

    > ----
    > Have you got a link or URL for that eBay seller by any chance? I
    > couldn't find it.

    Wouldn't you know it! Between the time I saw the posting and
    the time you looked for it he must have sold the unit he had.
    Not to worry, though. He puts them on eBay regularly. Keep checking.

    Tom Lake

  5. Re: Anyone using an ASR-33 teletype with a Telebyte 65A converter?

    "Tom Lake" wrote in message

    >>> Yes but for those of us who couldn't build our own if our life depended
    >>> on it, $175 is reasonable for a device that provides a needed capability.
    >>>
    >>> Tom Lake

    >> ----
    >> Have you got a link or URL for that eBay seller by any chance? I
    >> couldn't find it.

    > Wouldn't you know it! Between the time I saw the posting and
    > the time you looked for it he must have sold the unit he had.
    > Not to worry, though. He puts them on eBay regularly. Keep checking.

    OK, I just looked again and he's selling it for $159.95!
    Search for this: Paper Tape Reader for SOL-20 or S-100 Computer
    It's item # 150308215322

    Tom Lake

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3