CP/M Newsreader? - CP/M

This is a discussion on CP/M Newsreader? - CP/M ; Anybody seen one? Something like a trn clone perhaps? -J...

  1. CP/M Newsreader?

    Anybody seen one? Something like a trn clone perhaps?

    -J

  2. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    "John Crane" wrote:

    > Anybody seen one CP/M Newsreader? Something like a trn clone perhaps?

    Why don't you write one?

    (Me, I am working on making a TCP/IP stack for CP/M.)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  3. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 02:53:28 -0500, "John Crane" wrote:

    >Anybody seen one? Something like a trn clone perhaps?
    >
    >-J

    None I know of. the issue is more one of connectivity. Very few CP/M
    systems have PPP, SLIP or IP implmented for the needed connectivity.
    One place to look if for TIN, NN or other that was rewritten for MSDOS
    as a possible source (hopefully in C).

    After some research I think it's very doable though at least for the
    text based groups.

    Allison

  4. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    In article ,
    John Crane wrote:
    > Anybody seen one? Something like a trn clone perhaps?

    There was a very basic one with David Goodenough's uucp package. I
    haven't used it for over 17 years now, though.

    --
    Paul Martin

  5. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    --{ no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net a plopé ceci: }--

    >>Anybody seen one? Something like a trn clone perhaps?
    >>
    >>-J
    >>

    > None I know of. the issue is more one of connectivity. Very few CP/M
    > systems have PPP, SLIP or IP implmented for the needed connectivity.

    May be you can use UUCP, or just transfert a newsspool with
    kermit or xmodem or a 8" floppy... Usenet is not bound to IP.

    --
    Pourtant, sur Google, 80 000 occurrences de var/lib/dpkg/info contre
    18 000 occurrences de var/log/packages.

  6. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    In article ,
    "Thierry B." writes:
    > --{ no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net a plopé ceci: }--
    >
    >>>Anybody seen one? Something like a trn clone perhaps?
    >>>
    >>>-J
    >>>

    >> None I know of. the issue is more one of connectivity. Very few CP/M
    >> systems have PPP, SLIP or IP implmented for the needed connectivity.

    > May be you can use UUCP, or just transfert a newsspool with
    > kermit or xmodem or a 8" floppy... Usenet is not bound to IP.

    Which makes sense as Usenet pre-dates the INTERNET and most likelu IP
    as well. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  7. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    *no.spam* wrote on Thu, 08-08-28 13:52:
    >After some research I think it's very doable though at least for the
    >text based groups.

    Possibly, using the current permanently online abominations. The
    sensible use of the Usenet involves down- and uploading packets of
    messages in one go and hanging up. I still call up my BBS with a modem
    and exchange news through something similar to UUCP, the only way to
    get useable and fast threading.
    One file to download, if calling up once a day, is several megabytes
    and the messagebase goes to about 20 megabytes when retaining only
    about the last fornight. Doing this was beyond the capabilities of a
    1990 Atari without harddisk, suggesting CP/M seems hardly creditable.
    Why not add video editing while you're at it?

    CP/M and old machines are good for what still makes up over 90% of
    actual current computer use (besides games and such), but some things
    have only become feasable when higher powered maches were around.

  8. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    Hello, Paul!

    > > Anybody seen one CP/M Newsreader? Something like a trn clone perhaps?

    > There was a very basic one with David Goodenough's uucp package.
    > I haven't used it for over 17 years now, though.

    ??? We are talking about how to access the Internet with our CP/M computers,
    and you tell us that you could read the Usenet with UUCP on a CP/M computer?

    Tell us more!!!

    Write a Web page about this historic feat! Do you still have the disks? Are
    you able to use it, today, under an emulator? Etc, etc...

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  9. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France schrieb:
    > Hello, Paul!
    >
    >>> Anybody seen one CP/M Newsreader? Something like a trn clone perhaps?

    >> There was a very basic one with David Goodenough's uucp package.
    >> I haven't used it for over 17 years now, though.

    > ??? We are talking about how to access the Internet with our CP/M computers,
    > and you tell us that you could read the Usenet with UUCP on a CP/M computer?
    >
    > Tell us more!!!
    >
    > Write a Web page about this historic feat! Do you still have the disks? Are
    > you able to use it, today, under an emulator? Etc, etc...
    >
    > Yours Sincerely,
    > Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

    In the 80s it was common practice to use Usenet newsgroups and Usenet
    mail via uucp, because TCP/IP connectivity was not affordable for
    private users. There is no need to write anything about that, because
    protocols like UUCP are documented (read Taylor UUCP documentation e.g.)
    very well and even CP/M implementations exist since 2 decades. On the
    Walnut Creek CP/M CD-ROM you will find everything you need for that, so
    just setup the stuff your self, if you really want to use it. And yes,
    it still works nowadays, on emulations and on real 8080/Z80 systems.
    Probably you will need a TCP/IP connected server with UUCP and serial
    line as a gateway, because no ISP would be willing to give you a dialup
    modem account with UUCP. If you use an emulation you will have that
    anyway, just use it.

    Udo Munk

  10. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    "Udo Munk" wrote in message
    > Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France schrieb:
    >> Hello, Paul!

    >>> There was a very basic one with David Goodenough's uucp package.
    >>> I haven't used it for over 17 years now, though.

    >> ??? We are talking about how to access the Internet with our CP/M
    >> computers,
    >> and you tell us that you could read the Usenet with UUCP on a CP/M
    >> computer?
    >>
    >> Tell us more!!!
    >>
    >> Write a Web page about this historic feat! Do you still have the disks?
    >> Are
    >> you able to use it, today, under an emulator? Etc, etc...
    >>
    >> Yours Sincerely,
    >> Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

    > In the 80s it was common practice to use Usenet newsgroups and Usenet mail
    > via uucp, because TCP/IP connectivity was not affordable for private
    > users. There is no need to write anything about that, because protocols
    > like UUCP are documented (read Taylor UUCP documentation e.g.) very well
    > and even CP/M implementations exist since 2 decades. On the Walnut Creek
    > CP/M CD-ROM you will find everything you need for that, so just setup the
    > stuff your self, if you really want to use it. And yes, it still works
    > nowadays, on emulations and on real 8080/Z80 systems. Probably you will
    > need a TCP/IP connected server with UUCP and serial line as a gateway,
    > because no ISP would be willing to give you a dialup modem account with
    > UUCP. If you use an emulation you will have that anyway, just use it.
    >
    > Udo Munk
    > --
    > The real fun is building it and then using it...

    All,

    Its UUCP21.LBR on the Walnut Creek CD. Looks interesting. Too bad the docs
    are so bad. I remember a decade or so ago people were using SLIP and PPP to
    connect, but I don't think anyone does that anymore. If you have your own
    TCP/IP connected server sitting beside your CP/M crate, it kinda defeats the
    purpose. I think sdf.lonestar.org still has dialup unix accounts available
    for a modest price.

    -John

  11. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    In article <48b70601$0$961$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France wrote:
    > Hello, Paul!

    >> > Anybody seen one CP/M Newsreader? Something like a trn clone perhaps?

    >> There was a very basic one with David Goodenough's uucp package.
    >> I haven't used it for over 17 years now, though.

    > ??? We are talking about how to access the Internet with our CP/M computers,
    > and you tell us that you could read the Usenet with UUCP on a CP/M computer?

    > Tell us more!!!

    The post below was made from a CP/M system (Amstrad CPC running CP/M
    Plus)

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....2?dmode=source

    > Write a Web page about this historic feat! Do you still have the disks? Are
    > you able to use it, today, under an emulator? Etc, etc...

    No idea where you could get it now, but...

    http://nelsonit.net/~jon/info-cpm/19...25/140424.html

    --
    Paul Martin

  12. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:46:10 -0500, John Crane wrote:
    > I think sdf.lonestar.org still has dialup unix accounts available
    > for a modest price.

    Sonic.net (a very good ISP in North Calif.) offers dialup linux
    shell accounts also.

    --
    jimbo@sonic.net
    Linux: gawk, date, finger, wait, unzip, touch, nice, suck, strip, mount,

  13. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    Hello, Paul!

    > The post below was made from a CP/M system (Amstrad CPC running CP/M
    > Plus)

    I happen to have been given an Amstrad CPC6128...

    > No idea where you could get it now, but...

    Many thanks for this. However... Could you, please, write a little more than
    one line? For example, I have a CPC6128. I have found the UUCP21B.LBR (on
    the Walnut Creek CD-ROM hosted on the Retroarchive Web site). So, could you
    tell us what you used, to connect the CPC to the Internet? (Me, I have a DSL
    but it is provided with a standard telephone plug (in France) so I could
    connect one old 56K modem I was given.)

    (Were you using a standard CPC? Me, at the time, I was thinking that Amstrad
    micros were useless, with one single 173KB drive. My Epson QX-10 running
    CP/M Plus had 4 drives.)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  14. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    On 29 Aug 2008 00:15:14 GMT, Jim Bianchi wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:46:10 -0500, John Crane wrote:
    >> I think sdf.lonestar.org still has dialup unix accounts available
    >> for a modest price.

    > Sonic.net (a very good ISP in North Calif.) offers dialup linux
    >shell accounts also.

    World.STD.com near Boston, they are one of the first ISPs and still
    ahve ppp/slip.

    Allison

  15. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:37:57 +0200, "Thierry B."
    wrote:

    >--{ no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net a plopé ceci: }--
    >
    >>>Anybody seen one? Something like a trn clone perhaps?
    >>>
    >>>-J
    >>>

    >> None I know of. the issue is more one of connectivity. Very few CP/M
    >> systems have PPP, SLIP or IP implmented for the needed connectivity.

    > May be you can use UUCP, or just transfert a newsspool with
    > kermit or xmodem or a 8" floppy... Usenet is not bound to IP.

    UUCP would work and I think it's still inmost moden linux distros.

    You need big disk, there are over 40,000 newsgroups alone and
    even the content for this one with 2 weeks history might fill many of
    the smaller floppies.

    Allison

  16. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    In article <48b79537$0$884$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France wrote:
    > Hello, Paul!

    >> The post below was made from a CP/M system (Amstrad CPC running CP/M
    >> Plus)

    > I happen to have been given an Amstrad CPC6128...

    >> No idea where you could get it now, but...

    > Many thanks for this. However... Could you, please, write a little more than
    > one line? For example, I have a CPC6128. I have found the UUCP21B.LBR (on
    > the Walnut Creek CD-ROM hosted on the Retroarchive Web site). So, could you
    > tell us what you used, to connect the CPC to the Internet? (Me, I have a DSL
    > but it is provided with a standard telephone plug (in France) so I could
    > connect one old 56K modem I was given.)

    PC running Linux and uucp, null modem cable to the CP/M machine.

    > (Were you using a standard CPC? Me, at the time, I was thinking that Amstrad
    > micros were useless, with one single 173KB drive. My Epson QX-10 running
    > CP/M Plus had 4 drives.)

    You could run two 3.5 inch or 5.25 inch 80 track double sided low
    density drives on a CPC, with the appropriate adaptor.

    --
    Paul Martin

  17. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    Hello, Paul!

    Again, you write one-line answers... Forunately, they are interesting!

    > PC running Linux and uucp, null modem cable to the CP/M machine.

    Haaa!!! I have said for years that the Internet was based on the
    Client/Server idea, so I was envisioning to use a Linux box as a kind of
    "black box modem" and my CP/M Plus computer using it as a "Client". So,
    would you mind telling us more about the technical details, if you remember
    them?

    > You could run two 3.5 inch or 5.25 inch 80 track double sided low
    > density drives on a CPC, with the appropriate adaptor.

    Yes, but what I was meaning was: Did you find it usable to read the
    newsgroup, from a flopyy disk drive with just 173KB? Or had you the
    above-mentioned 720KB drives? 720KB happens to be the size of CP/M-86 Plus,
    so we are in familiar ground. With CP/M-86 Plus, I use 100MB hard disks,
    because I found a supply of them. Since CP/M-86 plus uses less than 1% of
    that size, I am left with 99% of the hard disk for data. But I don't intend
    to backup all the messages of the comp.os.cpm Newsgroup. I find Google
    Groups convenient for storing all the messages. When I need one, I make a
    search. According to folklore, 99% of Usenet messages are less than 2KB. So,
    CP/M should be enough to read and write those kinds of small messages.
    (Else, I have WordStar 4 for real work.)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  18. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    In Udo Munk writes:

    > [...]
    > Probably you will need a TCP/IP connected server with UUCP and serial
    > line as a gateway, because no ISP would be willing to give you a dialup
    > modem account with UUCP. If you use an emulation you will have that
    > anyway, just use it.

    Please don't tell this my friendly UUCP feed, the latter of which
    still provides both modem and ISDN dialup in addition to TCP port 540.

    Eddi
    --
    e-mail: dk3uz AT darc DOT de | AMPRNET: dk3uz@db0hht.ampr.org
    If replying to a Usenet article, please use above e-mail address.

  19. Re: CP/M Newsreader?

    On Aug 28, 1:34 pm, billg...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    > Which makes sense as Usenet pre-dates the INTERNET and most likelu IP
    > as well. :-)

    That's kind of fuzzy, since the early development of TCP/IP was almost
    finished by '78, UUCP written in '79, but UUCP had 500+ hosts by '81,
    the same year the main TCP/IP protocols were published.

+ Reply to Thread