Article on different Versions of the (german) ECB-Bus - CP/M

This is a discussion on Article on different Versions of the (german) ECB-Bus - CP/M ; Holger Petersen schrieb: > The designer of the ECB-Bus must have been drunk by too much > 'Oktoberfest beer', because of the layout of those 2 pairs: > ... The designer must have been very drunk indeed - just look ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Article on different Versions of the (german) ECB-Bus

    Holger Petersen schrieb:

    > The designer of the ECB-Bus must have been drunk by too much
    > 'Oktoberfest beer', because of the layout of those 2 pairs:

    The designer must have been very drunk indeed - just look at the
    arrangement of the data and address buses and the set of control
    lines... They all are spread very widely over the whole connector.

    Obviously, they designed the pinout by random generator.

    Tilmann

  2. Re: Article on different Versions of the (german) ECB-Bus

    > The designer must have been very drunk indeed - just look at the
    > arrangement of the data and address buses and the set of control
    > lines... They all are spread very widely over the whole connector.
    >
    > Obviously, they designed the pinout by random generator.

    A Zilog employee once said that was deliberate to reduce crosstalk.
    and induction. I don't know if he was drunk at the time. 8^)

    Tom Lake

  3. Re: Article on different Versions of the (german) ECB-Bus

    On Aug 27, 9:30*am, Holger Petersen wrote:
    > Yes; I know that the "B" in ECB stands for "Bus" already *:-)
    >
    > I found today an old (1982 :-) article in a small german
    > computer-club-newsletter about the differences in those
    > incarnations of the ECB as they existed at that time.
    >
    > The mentiones manufactures were:
    >
    > *Kontron Munic (still in existance); 'inventor' of the Bus
    > *Hofman electronic lab Bad Rappenau
    > *Janich & Klass
    > *eltez-80 "Elektroniklande" Münster
    >
    > I have to see how to resurrect the 2.5 pages which have become
    > some sort of yellow already...
    >
    > Yours, Holger

    Hi!

    Here are some sources I used in the creation of the ECB bus expansion
    connector for the N8VEM SBC.

    http://pinouts.ru/Slots/ecbbus_pinout.shtml (I think this is
    the most common subset of ECB signals)

    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECB-Bus

    There are definitely a plethora of versions of the ECB bus. It makes
    designing an ECB computer a bit of a challenge.

    When designing the N8VEM ECB bus backplane, I noticed that some
    signals are conflicting especially on the B row. I tried to make the
    ECB backplane as common as possible such as connecting all the
    conductors and supporting the IEI/IEO and BAI/BAO jumpers.

    I am glad to see this subject discussed on comp.os.cpm. ECB is a
    wonderful bus and a great idea. It is a natural extension of the Z80
    and excellent for low cost experimenting and hobbyist computing.

    Thanks and have a nice day!

    Andrew Lynch

    PS, what is the deal with D1? That signal is way out in the middle of
    the connector all by itself. I have never understood the layout and
    it seems bizarre.

  4. Re: Article on different Versions of the (german) ECB-Bus

    Tom Lake schrieb:

    > A Zilog employee once said that was deliberate to reduce crosstalk.
    > and induction. I don't know if he was drunk at the time. 8^)

    Obviously D1 was most vulnerable to crosstalk those days... :-)

    Tilmann

  5. Re: Article on different Versions of the (german) ECB-Bus

    On Aug 30, 4:25 am, Tilmann Reh wrote:

    > I have retyped the available information, here it is:
    >
    > If anyone has corrections or additions, please let me know.
    >
    > > Have you Documentation of the Backplane.

    > The backplane is simply a completely parallel bus, except for the two
    > daisy chains. Normally, the power supply tracks are much wider than the
    > signal tracks, and also connect 1a+c resp. 32a+c.
    >
    > Tilmann

    Fine work as always, Tilmann. Thank you. If you have no objections,
    I'l see about adding a page on my S-100 Web site about "busses of the
    S-100 era" and reference your page accordingly, and some other content
    in this thread as well.

    I'll see about something on STDbus as well, it's more common in the
    era and older. This will not happen immediately.

    Herb Johnson
    retrotechnology.com

  6. Re: Article on different Versions of the (german) ECB-Bus

    Tilmann Reh writes:

    >I have retyped the available information, here it is:

    Thank you for the nice PDF.

    My (old) club-letter has the same pin-out, so no need
    for me to re-type...

    Yours, Holger

    PS: @Tilmann: Ich sende Dir mal das Fax.
    @Emmanuel: Vous auriez du courrier.

  7. Re: Article on different Versions of the (german) ECB-Bus

    Herb Johnson schrieb:

    > If you have no objections,
    > I'l see about adding a page on my S-100 Web site about "busses of the
    > S-100 era" and reference your page accordingly, and some other content
    > in this thread as well.

    I put the file in the "files" directory, which normally is for temporary
    usage only. Besides the GIDE page and the hosting for Gaby, I don't have
    CP/M related stuff. So feel free to pick the file and put it on your
    local server, to avoid having a dead link sometimes in the future.

    > I'll see about something on STDbus as well, it's more common in the
    > era and older. This will not happen immediately.

    I've also heard of STDbus - but here in Germany, ECB-Bus was more
    common. In that time, there also was the Eurobus standard for 68xx based
    computers. Maybe preferences were also regionally different...

    Tilmann

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2