Odd problem in AltairZ80... - CP/M

This is a discussion on Odd problem in AltairZ80... - CP/M ; I was working with the Citadel BBS program yesterday in altairz80 under CP/M 2.2 and it acted really odd. When you first run Citadel, it prompts you for the year, month and day. It actually stops the output after every ...

  1. Odd problem in AltairZ80...

    I was working with the Citadel BBS program yesterday in altairz80 under
    CP/M 2.2 and it acted really odd.

    When you first run Citadel, it prompts you for the year, month and day.

    It actually stops the output after every word. For instance, the year
    prompt is:

    ENTER YEAR
    :

    Now for that whole prompt to be shown, I have to hit a key (ENTER in this
    case) three times to get everything displayed.

    I ran this same software on my H-89 last night and it doesn't exhibit this
    odd little behavior.

    Any idea what is going on with the emulator that would cause this?

    tnx!

    g.

  2. Re: Odd problem in AltairZ80...

    Gene schrieb:
    > Now for that whole prompt to be shown, I have to hit a key (ENTER in this
    > case) three times to get everything displayed.
    >
    > I ran this same software on my H-89 last night and it doesn't exhibit this
    > odd little behavior.
    >
    > Any idea what is going on with the emulator that would cause this?
    >
    > tnx!
    >
    > g.

    Output not flushed properly, the UNIX I/O is buffered and needs to be
    flushed if necessary. Try the other emulators and see if it's happening too.

    Udo Munk

  3. Re: Odd problem in AltairZ80...

    Udo Munk wrote:
    > Gene schrieb:
    >> Now for that whole prompt to be shown, I have to hit a key (ENTER in this
    >> case) three times to get everything displayed.
    >>
    >> I ran this same software on my H-89 last night and it doesn't exhibit
    >> this
    >> odd little behavior.
    >>
    >> Any idea what is going on with the emulator that would cause this?
    >>
    >> tnx!
    >>
    >> g.
    >>

    > Output not flushed properly, the UNIX I/O is buffered and needs to be
    > flushed if necessary. Try the other emulators and see if it's happening
    > too.
    >
    > Udo Munk

    This is not the case - I checked what CITADEL.COM is doing in the
    AltairZ80 debugger and it is clearly in a busy loop waiting for a
    character to be entered before it would continue displaying.

    I have no idea why CITADEL is doing this but it is definitely not an
    emulator problem. Maybe some configuration issue with CITADEL itself.

    Best regards, Peter

  4. Re: Odd problem in AltairZ80...

    Udo Munk wrote:
    >> tnx!
    >>
    >> g.
    >>

    > Output not flushed properly, the UNIX I/O is buffered and needs to be
    > flushed if necessary. Try the other emulators and see if it's happening too.
    >
    > Udo Munk

    I should have mentioned I'm using the Win32 binary. Sorry.

    g.

  5. Re: Odd problem in AltairZ80...

    Peter Schorn wrote:

    >> Udo Munk

    > This is not the case - I checked what CITADEL.COM is doing in the
    > AltairZ80 debugger and it is clearly in a busy loop waiting for a
    > character to be entered before it would continue displaying.
    >
    > I have no idea why CITADEL is doing this but it is definitely not an
    > emulator problem. Maybe some configuration issue with CITADEL itself.

    Thanks for digging Peter. The problem doesn't show up on real hardware,
    but it may also be a symptom of having no modem connected to the emulated
    machine.

    I did get Citadel all configured and ready to go, but while the modem
    will answer the phone (Smartmodem 300 set to auto-answer), but it won't
    recognize that carrier is present.

    g.

  6. Re: Odd problem in AltairZ80...

    Peter Schorn schrieb:

    > Udo Munk wrote:
    >> Output not flushed properly, the UNIX I/O is buffered and needs to be
    >> flushed if necessary. Try the other emulators and see if it's happening
    >> too.
    >>
    >> Udo Munk

    > This is not the case - I checked what CITADEL.COM is doing in the
    > AltairZ80 debugger and it is clearly in a busy loop waiting for a
    > character to be entered before it would continue displaying.

    Was stdout flushed completely while the program ran in the busy loop?

    > I have no idea why CITADEL is doing this but it is definitely not an
    > emulator problem. Maybe some configuration issue with CITADEL itself.
    >
    > Best regards, Peter

    Maybe, but I would assume that the configuration was identical on both
    systems.

    Udo Munk

  7. Re: Odd problem in AltairZ80...

    Gene schrieb:
    > Udo Munk wrote:
    >>> tnx!
    >>>
    >>> g.
    >>>

    >> Output not flushed properly, the UNIX I/O is buffered and needs to be
    >> flushed if necessary. Try the other emulators and see if it's happening too.
    >>
    >> Udo Munk

    > I should have mentioned I'm using the Win32 binary. Sorry.
    >
    > g.

    Doesn't matter, it's written in C and uses the stdio library, which also
    under Windows is buffered, to minimize I/O overhead.

    Udo Munk

  8. Re: Odd problem in AltairZ80...

    On Aug 13, 10:04*am, ge...@deltasoft.com (Gene) wrote:
    > I was working with the Citadel BBS program yesterday in altairz80 under
    > CP/M 2.2 and it acted really odd.
    >
    > When you first run Citadel, it prompts you for the year, month and day.
    >
    > It actually stops the output after every word. *For instance, the year
    > prompt is:
    >
    > ENTER YEAR
    > *:
    >
    > Now for that whole prompt to be shown, I have to hit a key (ENTER in this
    > case) three times to get everything displayed.
    >
    > I ran this same software on my H-89 last night and it doesn't exhibit this
    > odd little behavior.
    >
    > Any idea what is going on with the emulator that would cause this?
    >
    > tnx!
    >
    > g.

    If this was 20 years ago and you were using Bye510 I would say it
    would be a configuration setting in it. Is Citadel using something of
    similar nature that is wating for a clear to send signal which your
    enter key is giving?

    Bill H

  9. Re: Odd problem in AltairZ80...

    Bill H wrote:
    >> I ran this same software on my H-89 last night and it doesn't exhibit this
    >> odd little behavior.
    >>
    >> Any idea what is going on with the emulator that would cause this?
    >>
    >> tnx!
    >>
    >> g.

    > If this was 20 years ago and you were using Bye510 I would say it
    > would be a configuration setting in it. Is Citadel using something of
    > similar nature that is wating for a clear to send signal which your
    > enter key is giving?

    Citadel is written in BDS C and has its own serial communications routines
    that are defined in the CTDLCNFG.SYS file. I suspect it uses the "standard"
    CP/M I/O for the console.

    The problem I have now is that it's not recognizing a caller.

    It may be a hardware issue because I had to rewire the molex connector that
    connects to the DB25 on the back of the '89. The serial board that was
    originally in the machine got wiped out by static electricity and the new
    serial board I got had a bit of a different pinout on the card end.
    I may have made a wiring mistake and the board may not be seeing the CD
    line from the modem. I'll have to sit down and write a little utility
    to show me the status of the various registers while the modem is
    connected to make sure that I haven't caused the problem myself.

    The version of Citadel I have is v2.10. I've seen both 2.15 and 2.20 in the
    past and I'd like to get either one if someone could point me to where
    they're at. Google hasn't been much help.

    Thanks!

    g.

+ Reply to Thread