life extension of old computers thanks to opensource Contiki - CP/M

This is a discussion on life extension of old computers thanks to opensource Contiki - CP/M ; Peter de Vroomen did eloquently scribble: > > >> Pentium 4 AKA i686 *IS* very VERY similar to RISC. > > Sorry, but the Pentium 4 is not i686. The Pentium 4 is ia32. The i686 is a > RISC ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 67 of 67

  1. Re: life extension of old computers thanks to opensource Contiki

    Peter de Vroomen did eloquently scribble:

    >> Pentium 4 AKA i686 *IS* very VERY similar to RISC.

    > Sorry, but the Pentium 4 is not i686. The Pentium 4 is ia32. The i686 is a
    > RISC processor family of Intel. I believe it was meant specially for media
    > purposes (audio, video), but I'm not sure.

    Um...
    I think you're slightly confused...
    i686 is the general architecture, ia32 is just an even more general name for
    it.
    Pentium4(all 32bit variants), athlon(all 32bit variants) count as i686.
    All pentiums (I,MMX,II,III,IV), 486s and 386, athlon, cyrix etc count as ia32

  2. Re: life extension of old computers thanks to opensource Contiki

    Την Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:57:53 -0500,ο(η) Linards Ticmanis
    *γραψε:

    > Peter de Vroomen wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry, but the Pentium 4 is not i686. The Pentium 4 is ia32. The i686
    >> is a
    >> RISC processor family of Intel. I believe it was meant specially for
    >> media
    >> purposes (audio, video), but I'm not sure.

    > I believe you might be mixing up i686 with i860.

    There has never been an "official" i686. They may have used the name
    internally but since the 486 they haven't used the xxx86 name (has to do
    with IP rights)
    The cpu you are referring to is though an i960 (not an 860).. BTW: All
    intel cpus from 486 onwards are RISC at least at their core. An extra
    compatibility layer CISC interpreting Microcode is what makes them x86
    compatible (I am oversimplyfing here of course)

    Phoebus

    --
    Χρησιμοποιώ το επαναστατικό πρόγραμμα αλληλογραφίας της Opera:
    http://www.opera.com/mail/

  3. Re: life extension of old computers thanks to opensource Contiki

    Da Smog wrote:

    > Την Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:57:53 -0500,ο(η) Linards Ticmanis
    > *γραψε:
    >
    >> Peter de Vroomen wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sorry, but the Pentium 4 is not i686. The Pentium 4 is ia32. The
    >>> i686 is a
    >>> RISC processor family of Intel. I believe it was meant specially for
    >>> media
    >>> purposes (audio, video), but I'm not sure.

    >> I believe you might be mixing up i686 with i860.
    >>

    > There has never been an "official" i686. They may have used the name
    > internally but since the 486 they haven't used the xxx86 name (has to
    > do with IP rights)

    Yes it is so, they have had, at Intel, what they thought would be 686
    and 586 developed in parallel.

    I was in a presentation form the local representative of Intel and they
    were describing their 586 and 686 projects.

    What came out was Pentium and Pentium Pro, and they were much as they
    had described. I think the floating point capability was the biggest
    surprise (not thinking of the bug).

    I think 80686 was a number they had already used for something entirely
    different or maybe it was another company that had used it, which was at
    least part of why they dropped the number.

    Knut

  4. Re: life extension of old computers thanks to opensource Contiki

    Knut Roll-Lund wrote:

    > I think 80686 was a number they had already used for something
    > entirely different or maybe it was another company that had used it,
    > which was at least part of why they dropped the number.
    >
    > Knut

    Hi!

    The most significant difference with the Pentium PRO is, that it have
    speed-problems with "not" 32bit OS (Win9x/ME, DOS etc.). So a 200MHz
    i586 is faster than the 200Mhz i686, in DOS for example, but never in
    NT and so, not to mention the faster (full speed [200MHz at that time],
    CPU integrated) 2nd Level cache.
    They corrected that speed-behaviour with the P2 and P3 (bez MS wanted
    to sell 9x/ME, I would say...), the so called P6-Core CPU´s. And the
    Tualatin (though Pentium III) is again an i686, whatever this means
    :-). I think it is the partly RISC build, why they call it i686.

    The Pentium CORE have not been changed since the 'Microopcode P4',
    which are made for Video and Audio purposes.... they have no thrust
    :-)))
    except the EE, but I would rather use its power for shopping and so :-)
    0.22HP :-)

    I did not know that the P4 is also having RISC parts.

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  5. Re: life extension of old computers thanks to opensource Contiki

    Peter de Vroomen wrote:

    > > Dear Peter, I think you mean the i686. Look at the P4 Power-Ratings!
    > > That Thing cannot be with RISC. Also the i586 Clone AMD XPxxxx... no
    > > RISC.

    > Well, actually I meant that all instructions are executed in hardware.
    > You're quite right about all the rest .
    >
    > PeterV

    Hi Peter!

    I am never being right.

    Kind Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  6. Re: life extension of old computers thanks to opensource Contiki

    Daniel Mandic did eloquently scribble:
    > Hi Peter!
    > I am never being right.

    Finally something we can all agree on.

  7. Re: life extension of old computers thanks to opensource Contiki

    Knut Roll-Lund wrote:

    > I think 80686 was a number they had already used for something entirely
    > different or maybe it was another company that had used it, which was at
    > least part of why they dropped the number.

    AIUI, it's because numbers can't be registered as trademarks in some
    countries.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

+ Reply to Thread