any dazzling terminal demos? - CP/M

This is a discussion on any dazzling terminal demos? - CP/M ; I've been roped into making a display for the NJ Vintage Computer Fest, so I'll fire up all my z80s for "the z80 ain't dead yet" (and show how the z80 was embedded into modems, disk controllers, terminal controllers, etc). ...

  1. any dazzling terminal demos?

    I've been roped into making a display for the
    NJ Vintage Computer Fest, so I'll fire up
    all my z80s for "the z80 ain't dead yet"
    (and show how the z80 was embedded into
    modems, disk controllers, terminal controllers, etc).

    I have mostly single board systems with only serial ports,
    so they'll have plain terminals such as vt330 or Wyse 60.
    Other than showing the joys of pip and stat,
    are they any flashy screen-oriented programs or demos
    with "wow" appeal?

    -- Jeffrey Jonas
    jeffj@panix(dot)com
    The original Dr. JCL and Mr .hide

  2. Re: any dazzling terminal demos?

    On Aug 6, 9:43*am, je...@panix.com (Jeff Jonas) wrote:
    > I've been roped into making a display for the
    > NJ Vintage Computer Fest, so I'll fire up
    > all my z80s for "the z80 ain't dead yet"
    > (and show how the z80 was embedded into
    > modems, disk controllers, terminal controllers, etc).
    >
    > I have mostly single board systems with only serial ports,
    > so they'll have plain terminals such as vt330 or Wyse 60.
    > Other than showing the joys of pip and stat,
    > are they any flashy screen-oriented programs or demos
    > with "wow" appeal?
    >
    > -- Jeffrey Jonas
    > jeffj@panix(dot)com
    > The original Dr. JCL and Mr .hide

    If you're looking just to show Z80s and their applications, not
    necessarily applications related to CP/M, you might want to look at
    arcade video game boards. The Z80 was a mainstay in the video game
    industry through the early-to-mid-80s, until the 68000 became the
    processor of choice.

  3. Re: any dazzling terminal demos?

    "Jeff Jonas" wrote:

    > I've been roped into making a display for the
    > NJ Vintage Computer Fest

    > I have mostly single board systems with only serial ports,
    > so they'll have plain terminals such as vt330 or Wyse 60.
    > Other than showing the joys of pip and stat,
    > are they any flashy screen-oriented programs or demos
    > with "wow" appeal?

    Unfortunately, since I am French, I have no idea what would be addictive to
    an American.

    However, let me tell you a story: When the Amstrad CPC computers appeared,
    computer shops were full of such "dazzling terminal demos". One day, I
    complained to one computer salesman that all those games were only using the
    eyes of the players, not their brains. I told him that I had a very simple
    game, using ASCII characters only, and offered to make a version for the
    Amstrad CPC (mine was running on my Epson QX-10). He agreed, I borrowed one
    of his CPC, went back home, then retyped the BASIC program, and debugged it.
    The following day, I brought back the CPC, showed the computer owner how to
    run the program (run"3DTTT), and left. The evening, on my way back, I went
    to the computer shop, and the owner told me that he could not believe it:
    there had been kids who played several hours, all the day, on this ASCII
    character-only game, when they were surrounded by "dazzling terminal demos!"
    He had never seen such an addiction in his computer shop...

    (Have you checked the http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic/index.html Web
    page?)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  4. Re: any dazzling terminal demos?

    On 6 Aug 2008 09:43:40 -0400, jeffj@panix.com (Jeff Jonas) wrote:

    >I've been roped into making a display for the
    >NJ Vintage Computer Fest, so I'll fire up
    >all my z80s for "the z80 ain't dead yet"
    >(and show how the z80 was embedded into
    >modems, disk controllers, terminal controllers, etc).
    >
    >I have mostly single board systems with only serial ports,
    >so they'll have plain terminals such as vt330 or Wyse 60.
    >Other than showing the joys of pip and stat,
    >are they any flashy screen-oriented programs or demos
    >with "wow" appeal?
    >
    >-- Jeffrey Jonas
    >jeffj@panix(dot)com
    >The original Dr. JCL and Mr .hide

    Jeff

    I'd suggest ascii screen art. As a second choice a screen based menu
    rather than command line. There were a few out there. If all else
    fails games.

    Allison

  5. Re: any dazzling terminal demos?

    On 6 Aug 2008 09:43:40 -0400
    jeffj@panix.com (Jeff Jonas) wrote:

    > I've been roped into making a display for the
    > NJ Vintage Computer Fest, so I'll fire up
    > all my z80s for "the z80 ain't dead yet"

    [snip]
    > are they any flashy screen-oriented programs or demos
    > with "wow" appeal?

    If you have any with the ZCPR3.x TCAP installed, you can run the
    "box" test program that shipped with Z3LIB. It drew a few boxes
    inside each other, then erased them.

    You can also run the PDMSHELL (Pull-Down-Menu Shell) demo that I
    wrote years ago. Both of these are available from my web page
    (Libraries section) at:

    http://mysite.verizon.net/hal.bower/

    Hal

  6. Re: any dazzling terminal demos?

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 23:18:21 GMT, no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On 6 Aug 2008 09:43:40 -0400, jeffj@panix.com (Jeff Jonas) wrote:
    >>I've been roped into making a display for the
    >>NJ Vintage Computer Fest, so I'll fire up
    >>all my z80s for "the z80 ain't dead yet"
    >>(and show how the z80 was embedded into
    >>modems, disk controllers, terminal controllers, etc).
    >>
    >>I have mostly single board systems with only serial ports,
    >>so they'll have plain terminals such as vt330 or Wyse 60.
    >>Other than showing the joys of pip and stat,
    >>are they any flashy screen-oriented programs or demos
    >>with "wow" appeal?
    >>
    >>-- Jeffrey Jonas
    >>jeffj@panix(dot)com
    >>The original Dr. JCL and Mr .hide

    > Jeff
    >
    > I'd suggest ascii screen art. As a second choice a screen based menu
    > rather than command line. There were a few out there. If all else fails
    > games.

    Many years ago, TeleVideo shipped with its (z80) TS-803 a really
    neat demo pgm that 'drew' graphic images (text) on the screen. I recall
    getting into this pgm and modifying the text for a 'show' to our local modem
    users group. I forget what the pgm was called (big help, huh?) but it was a
    valid CP/M 2.2 program. Any TS-803 users out there who can help? It was on
    the standard CP/M 2.2 factory discs bundled with a new system.

    Also, I had a pgm that'd display a .RLE graphic file -- again on a
    TeleVideo 802, 803, or TPC-1. But again given that it was a z80 pgm, I don't
    see why it wouldn't work on most any other z80 system that used a similar
    monitor type. I think it was copied from the TPC-1 manual that accompanied
    the thing.

    As I recall, there was a Z-system utility that'd put up the names of
    all the .COM files in a given user area on screen at once. The cursor would
    highlight each name and could be moved using the arrow keys. Hitting
    would invoke the highlighted .COM file.

    And another that'd do the same thing, only for .LBR files. When
    was hit, it'd 'undo' the .LBR file and show you the contents.

    --
    jimbo@sonic.net
    Linux: gawk, date, finger, wait, unzip, touch, nice, suck, strip, mount,

  7. Re: any dazzling terminal demos?

    > I have mostly single board systems with only serial ports,
    > so they'll have plain terminals such as vt330 or Wyse 60.

    There are (or were, anyhow) a number of ASCII animations out there
    that used only the terminal controls. One was a Christmas tree scene
    with a model train running around. Another was a complete ASCII
    version of the original Star Wars movie.

    I suppose you might have to study /etc/termcap and do some
    s/this/that/g if they don't run on your terminal(s). The Starwars one
    runs on a VT100, although for modern machines you have to run it via a
    script that slows it all down. Should be fine on a Z80.

    You might look at http://www.asciimation.co.nz/ although they appear
    to have gone for some kind of Java incarnation of their AASCII anims.

    --
    Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

+ Reply to Thread