Altos ACS 8000-10 Diags - CP/M

This is a discussion on Altos ACS 8000-10 Diags - CP/M ; Anybody have either the disk with the diagnostics for this machine, or the files I can get a copy of ? Or point to where they may be found? I have the main CPU board working now and need to ...

  1. Altos ACS 8000-10 Diags

    Anybody have either the disk with the diagnostics for this machine, or
    the files I can get a copy of ? Or point to where they may be found? I
    have the main CPU board working now and need to debug the controller,
    and format the hard drive.

    Thanks!
    Rich

  2. Re: Altos ACS 8000-10 Diags

    "Rich Camarda" wrote:

    > Anybody have either the disk with the diagnostics for this machine, or
    > the files I can get a copy of ? Or point to where they may be found? I
    > have the main CPU board working now and need to debug the controller,
    > and format the hard drive.

    No? you have one "Altos ACS 8000-10" ? I have been searching for such a
    rarity for years... Because, in the "CP/NET Reference Manual", you can find
    the following sentence: "The NETWRKIF, designed for an Altos ACS 8000-10..."
    in the examples of NIOSes...

    Ok. I have never seen a mention of a 8000-10 before, but I have seen, over
    the years, several mentions of various Altos ACS 8000 in the:

    http://www.vintage-computer.com/

    I am sure that they have some members who have one, else they would not talk
    about it so frequently.

    Good Luck!

    (And don't forget to come back and tell us more about it when it will be
    running, and don't forget to run CP/NET Version 1.2 from it, since it is
    available (By the way, Hector Peraza wrote a CP/NET server for Linux
    computers. It is available at:

    http://p112.sourceforge.net/index.php?home

    This way, you will have transparent access to all the files of the Linux box
    from your CP/M computer... I cannot tell you more: I have never used it. If
    you could write a Web page about it, you would be the only one in the
    world...))

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  3. Re: Altos ACS 8000-10 Diags

    Hello,

    Rich Camarda wrote in message
    <921ac3aa-d947-44c7-8839-964806f3aa8e@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>...
    >Anybody have either the disk with the diagnostics for this machine, or
    >the files I can get a copy of ? Or point to where they may be found? I
    >have the main CPU board working now and need to debug the controller,
    >and format the hard drive.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Rich

    On the dunfield site:

    http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

    or its mirror:

    http://www.nostalgia8.nl/mirrors/dunfield/img/index.htm

    there is a acs 8000 image disc (system/install). Will this do?

    Greetz, Katzy.

  4. Re: Altos ACS 8000-10 Diags

    On Aug 5, 3:56*am, "Katzy" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Rich Camarda wrote in message
    >
    > <921ac3aa-d947-44c7-8839-964806f3a...@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>...
    >
    > >Anybody have either the disk with the diagnostics for this machine, or
    > >the files I can get a copy of ? Or point to where they may be found? I
    > >have the main CPU board working now and need to debug the controller,
    > >and format the hard drive.

    > >Thanks!
    > >Rich

    > On the dunfield site:
    >
    > http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm
    >
    > or its mirror:
    >
    > http://www.nostalgia8.nl/mirrors/dunfield/img/index.htm
    >
    > there is a acs 8000 image disc (system/install). Will this do?
    >
    > Greetz, Katzy.

    Thanks for your reply. Yes I am familar with Dave's site and has
    helped me many times. However the Diag disk is s separate disk form
    the system disks and I did not find it on Dave's site.

    Rich

  5. Re: Altos ACS 8000-10 Diags

    "Rich Camarda" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Anybody have either the disk with the diagnostics for this machine, or
    > the files I can get a copy of ? Or point to where they may be found? I
    > have the main CPU board working now and need to debug the controller,
    > and format the hard drive.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Rich

    Hi, Rich !

    (i have a diagnostic floppy for my 8000-12 but can't copy it because the
    8000 is dead.)
    Try this link: http://www.computer-refuge.org/classiccmp/altos/8000/
    There are disks in ".dmk" format. You will need the software to write this
    disks which is here (http://www.tim-mann.org/catweasel.html) or here
    (http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/software/).

    Let us know if this helped.
    Good luck
    Roman

  6. Re: Altos ACS 8000-10 Diags

    On Aug 5, 3:52*pm, "Roman Sigmund" wrote:
    > "Rich Camarda" schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:921ac3aa-d947-44c7-8839-964806f3aa8e@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...
    >
    > > Anybody have either the disk with the diagnostics for this machine, or
    > > the files I can get a copy of ? Or point to where they may be found? I
    > > have the main CPU board working now and need to debug the controller,
    > > and format the hard drive.

    > > Thanks!
    > > Rich

    > Hi, Rich !
    >
    > (i have a diagnostic floppy for my 8000-12 but can't copy it because the
    > 8000 is dead.)
    > Try this link:http://www.computer-refuge.org/classiccmp/altos/8000/
    > There are disks in ".dmk" format. You will need the software to write this
    > disks which is here (http://www.tim-mann.org/catweasel.html) or here
    > (http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/software/).
    >
    > Let us know if this helped.
    > Good luck
    > Roman

    I used to have several ACS8000 systems. A friend *MAY* still have one
    of mine in storage in his warehouse.. I'll have to check. At home
    I've got a motherboard, some documentations, and POSSIBLY some 8"
    floppies. I'll take a look.

  7. Re: Altos ACS 8000-10 Diags

    >(i have a diagnostic floppy for my 8000-12 but can't copy it because the
    >8000 is dead.)
    >Try this link: http://www.computer-refuge.org/classiccmp/altos/8000/
    >There are disks in ".dmk" format. You will need the software to write this
    >disks which is here (http://www.tim-mann.org/catweasel.html) or here
    >(http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/software/).

    ImageDisk has a DMK2IMD utility which will convert this to a .IMD file
    that you can write directly from the PC floppy controller (with an appropriate
    drive connected).

    Note that in confirming this, I just discovered a nasty bug in DMK2IMD which
    gets the data wrong on single-density sectors of a mixed density disk ... I've
    just corrected this and updated the tools on my site - be sure to grab the
    latest update (05AUG08) before you convert them.

    Dave

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield

  8. Re: Altos ACS 8000-10 Diags

    On Aug 5, 4:26*pm, Dave.Dunfi...@use.techsupport.link.on.my.website
    (Dave Dunfield) wrote:
    > >(i have a diagnostic floppy for my 8000-12 but can't copy it because the
    > >8000 is dead.)
    > >Try this link:http://www.computer-refuge.org/classiccmp/altos/8000/
    > >There are disks in ".dmk" format. You will need the software to write this
    > >disks which is here (http://www.tim-mann.org/catweasel.html) or here
    > >(http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/software/).

    > ImageDisk has a DMK2IMD utility which will convert this to a .IMD file
    > that you can write directly from the PC floppy controller (with an appropriate
    > drive connected).
    >
    > Note that in confirming this, I just discovered a nasty bug in DMK2IMD which
    > gets the data wrong on single-density sectors of a mixed density disk ...I've
    > just corrected this and updated the tools on my site - be sure to grab the
    > latest update (05AUG08) before you convert them.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > --
    > dave06a@ * *Low-cost firmware development tools: *www.dunfield.com
    > dunfield. * Classic computer collection: *www.classiccmp.org/dunfield
    > com * * * * Some stuff I have for sale: *www.dunfield.com/sale

    Thanks Roman, and Dave! I will try and get a disk created this weekend
    when back in town.
    I appreciare the help, and will let you know if it works out.

    Rich

  9. Re: Altos ACS 8000-10 Diags

    On Aug 5, 1:50*pm, "micrologix1...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 3:52*pm, "Roman Sigmund" wrote:
    >

    > > "Rich Camarda" schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:921ac3aa-d947-44c7-8839-964806f3aa8e@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

    > > > Anybody have either the disk with the diagnostics for this machine, or
    > > > the files I can get a copy of ? Or point to where they may be found? I
    > > > have the main CPU board working now and need to debug the controller,
    > > > and format the hard drive.

    > > > Thanks!
    > > > Rich

    > > Hi, Rich !

    > > (i have a diagnostic floppy for my 8000-12 but can't copy it because the
    > > 8000 is dead.)
    > > Try this link:http://www.computer-refuge.org/classiccmp/altos/8000/
    > > There are disks in ".dmk" format. You will need the software to write this
    > > disks which is here (http://www.tim-mann.org/catweasel.html) or here
    > > (http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/software/).

    > > Let us know if this helped.
    > > Good luck
    > > Roman

    > I used to have several ACS8000 systems. *A friend *MAY* still have one
    > of mine in storage in his warehouse.. I'll have to check. *At home
    > I've got a motherboard, some documentations, and POSSIBLY some 8"
    > floppies. *I'll take a look.- Hide quoted text -

    Great! Thanks. I will try and create a disk this weekend per Roman and
    Dave's info, but if you find a disk in your collection let me know in
    case I do not have any luck.

    Rich

+ Reply to Thread