Q/C-80 C compiler - CP/M

This is a discussion on Q/C-80 C compiler - CP/M ; Hi all, does anybody have the manual for the Q/C-80 C compiler. Copyrighted is it by Quality Computer Systems (1983, v3.1a) or The Code Works' May be there is a scanned version of the manual on the net? Any hints? ...

  1. Q/C-80 C compiler

    Hi all,

    does anybody have the manual for the Q/C-80
    C compiler. Copyrighted is it by

    Quality Computer Systems (1983, v3.1a) or
    The Code Works'

    May be there is a scanned version of the manual
    on the net? Any hints?

    Thanks in advance,

    Uwe.

  2. Re: Q/C-80 C compiler

    Uwe Nass schrieb:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > does anybody have the manual for the Q/C-80
    > C compiler. Copyrighted is it by
    >
    > Quality Computer Systems (1983, v3.1a) or
    > The Code Works'
    >
    > May be there is a scanned version of the manual
    > on the net? Any hints?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Uwe.

    I do have Q/C User's Manual Version 3.2, The Code Works. Unfortunately
    it can't be copied or scanned without destroying it, which I do not
    want. It is a copy of the original manual bound to a book. In the 80s we
    used this compiler as cross compiler on large UNIX systems to generate
    z80 code. This compiler came with all sources, so it was easy to modify
    to run as cross compiler and every developer using it got this self made
    books.

    Most of the manual deals with compiler internals, interesting only for
    those who want to modify it. If there are questions about using it I'm
    able to answer them.

    Udo Munk

  3. Re: Q/C-80 C compiler

    Udo Munk wrote:
    > Uwe Nass schrieb:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> does anybody have the manual for the Q/C-80
    >> C compiler. Copyrighted is it by
    >>
    >> Quality Computer Systems (1983, v3.1a) or
    >> The Code Works'
    >>
    >> May be there is a scanned version of the manual
    >> on the net? Any hints?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Uwe.
    >>

    > I do have Q/C User's Manual Version 3.2, The Code Works. Unfortunately
    > it can't be copied or scanned without destroying it, which I do not
    > want. It is a copy of the original manual bound to a book. In the 80s we
    > used this compiler as cross compiler on large UNIX systems to generate
    > z80 code. This compiler came with all sources, so it was easy to modify
    > to run as cross compiler and every developer using it got this self made
    > books.
    >
    > Most of the manual deals with compiler internals, interesting only for
    > those who want to modify it. If there are questions about using it I'm
    > able to answer them.
    >
    > Udo Munk

    Hi Udo,

    that' a pitty, but I really can understand you! I myself would never
    destroy a book for scanning it. But may be there are others who won't
    need it anymore!?

    Of course, I got the binaries for Q/C-80 from one of your disk images
    (z80pack). The copyright message says: Quality Computer Systems v3.1a.
    On the other hand, I thought of playing with UZI80, but Douglas Brown
    (the author) mentioned that his code has to be compiled with the "Code
    Works' Q/C compiler". You mentioned a version 3.2 of this compiler. Is
    it the successor of "Quality Computer Systems"?

    Just curious,

    Uwe.

    PS: BTW, have you ever thought of porting UZI80 to your simulator?

  4. Re: Q/C-80 C compiler

    Uwe Nass schrieb:

    > that' a pitty, but I really can understand you! I myself would never
    > destroy a book for scanning it. But may be there are others who won't
    > need it anymore!?

    If it was just some book I might have destroyed it to get a PDF for
    everyone. But it was given to me as a member of the development team,
    that build what probably was the largest Z80 mainframe system on the
    planet. So this is a personal item which I won't give away, sorry.

    > Of course, I got the binaries for Q/C-80 from one of your disk images
    > (z80pack). The copyright message says: Quality Computer Systems v3.1a.
    > On the other hand, I thought of playing with UZI80, but Douglas Brown
    > (the author) mentioned that his code has to be compiled with the "Code
    > Works' Q/C compiler". You mentioned a version 3.2 of this compiler. Is
    > it the successor of "Quality Computer Systems"?

    The Q/C compiler was written by Jim Colvin, Quality Computer Systems,
    probably a one man show. It was distributed by The Code Works, besides
    other pretty good development tools for that time. We used version 3.2
    of this compiler as cross compiler. The disk distribution available
    nowadays is release 3.1a, same thing but probably with a few more bugs
    and some features less. I still might have 3.2 original distribution, if
    so it is somewhere in a huge stack of 1/4" tapes from that time, and I
    would have to search through all that tapes.

    > Just curious,
    >
    > Uwe.
    >
    > PS: BTW, have you ever thought of porting UZI80 to your simulator?

    I'll answer that one in a new thread, completely different topic.

    Udo Munk

  5. Re: Q/C-80 C compiler

    >>> does anybody have the manual for the Q/C-80
    >>> C compiler. Copyrighted is it by
    >>>
    >>> Quality Computer Systems (1983, v3.1a) or
    >>> The Code Works'
    >>>
    >>> May be there is a scanned version of the manual
    >>> on the net? Any hints?

    >> I do have Q/C User's Manual Version 3.2, The Code Works. Unfortunately
    >> it can't be copied or scanned without destroying it, which I do not
    >> want. It is a copy of the original manual bound to a book. In the 80s we
    >> used this compiler as cross compiler on large UNIX systems to generate
    >> z80 code. This compiler came with all sources, so it was easy to modify
    >> to run as cross compiler and every developer using it got this self made
    >> books.
    >>
    >> Most of the manual deals with compiler internals, interesting only for
    >> those who want to modify it. If there are questions about using it I'm
    >> able to answer them.

    > that' a pitty, but I really can understand you! I myself would never
    >destroy a book for scanning it. But may be there are others who won't
    >need it anymore!?

    >Of course, I got the binaries for Q/C-80 from one of your disk images
    >(z80pack). The copyright message says: Quality Computer Systems v3.1a.
    >On the other hand, I thought of playing with UZI80, but Douglas Brown
    >(the author) mentioned that his code has to be compiled with the "Code
    >Works' Q/C compiler". You mentioned a version 3.2 of this compiler. Is
    >it the successor of "Quality Computer Systems"?

    I've placed a link at:

    www.dunfield.com/index.htm

    to qc.zip which contains:

    - Scan of Q/C 3.2 manual
    - Q/C 3.2 source code files
    - IMD image of Q/C 3.1a [CP/M 77 track 8" SD]

    Sorry I don't have a version 3.2 disk for CP/M - I received the 3.2
    source files on an MS-DOS format floppy disk which accompanied
    the manual (which was three-ring bound - black ink on blue paper..
    not the easiest to scan, but the result is reasonably legible).

    It's a 12M ZIP flie (mostly because of the manual .PDF)- please
    drop me an email and let me know when you have obtained it, as
    I don't have a lot of spare space on that site.

    Regards,
    Dave

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield

  6. Re: Q/C-80 C compiler

    >> I've placed a link at:
    >>
    >> www.dunfield.com/index.htm
    >>
    >> to qc.zip which contains:

    >Could you be more specific on the link? I don't see it.

    My apologies - I leftf out a bit, the correct location
    should be:

    www.dunfield.com/pub/index.htm

    public file area, but not linked on the main page - sorry.

    Dave

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield
    com Some stuff I have for sale: www.dunfield.com/sale

  7. Re: Q/C-80 C compiler

    >I've placed a link at:

    > www.dunfield.com/index.htm

    Correction:

    www.dunfield.com/pub/index.htm

    Dave

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield
    com Some stuff I have for sale: www.dunfield.com/sale

  8. Re: Q/C-80 C compiler

    Dave Dunfield wrote:
    (snip)

    > I've placed a link at:
    >
    > www.dunfield.com/index.htm
    >
    > to qc.zip which contains:

    Could you be more specific on the link? I don't see it.

    -- glen

  9. Re: Q/C-80 C compiler

    On Jul 31, 8:28*pm, Dave.Dunfi...@use.techsupport.link.on.my.website
    (Dave Dunfield) wrote:
    > >> I've placed a link at:

    > >> * *www.dunfield.com/index.htm

    > >> to qc.zip which contains:

    > >Could you be more specific on the link? *I don't see it.

    > My apologies - I leftf out a bit, the correct location
    > should be:
    >
    > * *www.dunfield.com/pub/index.htm
    >
    > public file area, but not linked on the main page - sorry.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > --
    > dave06a@ * *Low-cost firmware development tools: *www.dunfield.com
    > dunfield. * Classic computer collection: *www.classiccmp.org/dunfield
    > com * * * * Some stuff I have for sale: *www.dunfield.com/sale

    Thanks alot for making the available! This has the fingerprints of
    Cain's Small-C on it, but much advanced. And the manual explains the
    compiler internals in a very helpful way, much better than Cain's
    original DDJ article could have in the space alotted him.

    Steve

  10. Re: Q/C-80 C compiler

    Dave Dunfield wrote:
    >> I've placed a link at:

    >> www.dunfield.com/index.htm

    > Correction:
    >
    > www.dunfield.com/pub/index.htm
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > --
    > dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    > dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield
    > com Some stuff I have for sale: www.dunfield.com/sale

    Hi,

    it seems that the sources you include are newer than the binaries in the
    disk image file (TCWQC.IMD), sources are 3.2, binaries are 3.1a .
    Do you know the differences or are these version numbers just "cosmetic"
    nature ?
    I will try to compile the sources again and if there are big
    differences, I will place the binaries also at my 80'c-compiler pages at
    http://www.z80.eu/c-compiler.html ...

    Regards
    Peter

    --
    * More infos about vintage computers and CP/M - http://www.z80.eu

  11. Re: Q/C-80 C compiler

    Peter Dassow schrieb:
    > I will try to compile the sources again and if there are big
    > differences, I will place the binaries also at my 80'c-compiler pages at
    > http://www.z80.eu/c-compiler.html ...
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter

    There are enough differences that the 3.2 sources can't be compiled
    unmodified with the version 3.1a compiler, as you might have figured out
    already.

    Udo Munk

  12. Re: Q/C-80 C compiler (and changes at my C-Compiler page)

    Udo Munk wrote:
    > Peter Dassow schrieb:
    >> I will try to compile the sources again and if there are big
    >> differences, I will place the binaries also at my 80'c-compiler pages
    >> at http://www.z80.eu/c-compiler.html ...
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Peter

    > There are enough differences that the 3.2 sources can't be compiled
    > unmodified with the version 3.1a compiler, as you might have figured out
    > already.
    >
    > Udo Munk

    Yes, already seen it :-(( Have to take a bit more time to modify it.

    Btw. I changed my C-Compiler page also because during my tries today
    with different CP/M-80 compilers I have seen that the Whitesmith C 2.1
    compiler was not complete (the main compiler binary is missing) :-(

    I placed now the predecessor Whitesmith C 2.0 also on my page because
    this archive seems to be complete and working.
    Also, Miguel I. García López pages at
    http://pag-per.servicam.com/migl/amstradpcw/mescc.html can't be accessed
    (do not know why), so I mirrored his Small-C variant locally too.

    Regards
    Peter

    --
    * C-Compiler for 8080/Z80 for CP/M at http://www.z80.eu/c-compiler.html

  13. Re: Q/C-80 C compiler

    >Hi,

    >it seems that the sources you include are newer than the binaries in the
    >disk image file (TCWQC.IMD), sources are 3.2, binaries are 3.1a .
    >Do you know the differences or are these version numbers just "cosmetic"
    >nature ?
    >I will try to compile the sources again and if there are big
    >differences, I will place the binaries also at my 80'c-compiler pages at
    >http://www.z80.eu/c-compiler.html ...

    Yes, as I tried to explain in my original posting, I received the 3.2 sources on
    on an MSDOS format floppy along with the manual seperately from the CPM
    3.1a disk (which came in with a system in my collection). I never had original
    binaries for the 3.2 version.

    Sorry, but I really don't know much about Q/C - Someone sent me the manual
    and sources at some point because of my involvement with C compilers
    targeting small systems - but I never really looked very deeply into it.

    Regards,
    Dave

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com