serial communications - CP/M

This is a discussion on serial communications - CP/M ; I'm hoping somebody may know a command I can type to check the serial on my osborne is working Lately I'v been online with a c64 serial cable and server software accessing the internet with a term program is ok ...

  1. serial communications

    I'm hoping somebody may know a command I can type to check the serial on my
    osborne is working
    Lately I'v been online with a c64 serial cable and server software accessing
    the internet with a term program is ok would post with it but for it not
    working with https pages
    for some reason the o! isnt sending signals through the port as i am able to
    monitor the connection with the pc
    Is it possible i have to change the port with a command line as its able to
    be serial or parallel according to the help files within cpm
    For some reason its not sending cts or dsr signals unless the serial port
    isnt true 232 compatible where could i get a pinou for this port and clues
    on switching the acia chip which i believe is the serial controller
    now i have a shell account I'd like to go online with an osborne
    Thanks
    Garth

  2. Re: serial communications

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:41:46 GMT, Garth wrote:
    > I'm hoping somebody may know a command I can type to check the serial on my
    > osborne is working
    > Lately I'v been online with a c64 serial cable and server software accessing
    > the internet with a term program is ok would post with it but for it not
    > working with https pages
    > for some reason the o! isnt sending signals through the port as i am able to
    > monitor the connection with the pc
    > Is it possible i have to change the port with a command line as its able to
    > be serial or parallel according to the help files within cpm
    > For some reason its not sending cts or dsr signals unless the serial port
    > isnt true 232 compatible where could i get a pinou for this port and clues
    > on switching the acia chip which i believe is the serial controller
    > now i have a shell account I'd like to go online with an osborne
    > Thanks
    > Garth

    Long story short: Once (many years ago) I ran into a bad serial
    cable. It was a 'factory supplied' cable so I didn't think it could be bad,
    but it was. I've been out of this game for long enough to've forgotten the
    intricacies of command line IOBYTE setting, but you might want to confirm
    that your problem is not poor connectors/cable by temporarily using a
    known-good cable in its place.

    --
    jimbo@sonic.net
    Linux: gawk, date, finger, wait, unzip, touch, nice, suck, strip, mount,

  3. Re: serial communications

    "Garth" wrote in message
    > I'm hoping somebody may know a command I can type to check the serial on
    > my
    > osborne is working
    > Lately I'v been online with a c64 serial cable and server software
    > accessing
    > the internet with a term program is ok would post with it but for it not
    > working with https pages
    > for some reason the o! isnt sending signals through the port as i am able
    > monitor the connection with the pc
    > Is it possible i have to change the port with a command line as its able
    > be serial or parallel according to the help files within cpm
    > For some reason its not sending cts or dsr signals unless the serial
    > port
    > isnt true 232 compatible where could i get a pinou for this port and
    > clues
    > on switching the acia chip which i believe is the serial controller
    > now i have a shell account I'd like to go online with an osborne
    > Thanks
    > Garth

    Garth, here is an old serial terminal/modem program I wrote 20 years ago.
    Looking at it, I was changing the iobyte between 148 and 149. Hope it
    helps.

    -J

    program modembb;
    { Bare Bones Modem Program - modify to your heart's content }
    { Originally written for Osborne 1 with Hayes 1200. But, as }
    { it uses standard cpm bios calls through Turbo, source code}
    { should be transportable (CRT: on Osborne is serial port). }
    { John Garza Nov 23, 1985 }
    {---------------------------------------------------------}
    var
    iobyte : byte absolute $0003;
    echo : boolean;
    autolf : boolean;
    quitflag : boolean;
    t : byte;
    r : byte;
    {---------------------------------------------------------}
    begin {main}

    echo:=false;
    autolf:=false;
    quitflag:=false;
    iobyte:= 148; { 10 01 01 00 }

    while quitflag=false do
    begin
    t:=0;
    while t <> 27 do {while t <> escape}
    begin
    if bios(1) <> 0 then {console status}
    begin
    t:=bios(2); {console input}
    bios(5,t); {punch output}
    if echo then bios(3,t);
    if t = 13 then {make cr --> cr lf}
    begin
    bios(5,10);
    if echo then bios(3,10);
    end;
    end;

    iobyte:= 149; { 10 01 01 01 }
    r:=bios(1); {console status with con:=crt:}
    iobyte:= 148;

    if r <> 0 then
    begin
    r:=bios(6); {reader input}
    if r > 127 then r:=r-128;
    bios(3,r); {console output}
    if echo then bios(5,r);
    if autolf then if r=13 then bios(3,10) {show crlf if autolf}
    end;
    end;
    quitflag:=true; {Quit if ESC character keyed}
    end; {stop program if quitflag true}
    end.

  4. Re: serial communications

    The Osborne does not have standard RS232. It goes from 0 to +5V
    Years ago I used an external negative supply with a PNP transistor
    to furnish the negative voltage.

+ Reply to Thread