Where can i download cpm - CP/M

This is a discussion on Where can i download cpm - CP/M ; I would like to try CP/M and dont know were to download it, can anyone give me a link to a download....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

  1. Where can i download cpm

    I would like to try CP/M and dont know were to download it, can anyone
    give me a link to a download.

  2. Re: Where can i download cpm

    wrote in message
    > I would like to try CP/M and dont know were to download it, can anyone
    > give me a link to a download.

    CP/M has to be customized for the hardware on which it runs. It's not like
    MS-DOS
    that can run on many different clones. Even the disk formats are different
    between
    machines.
    What are your hardware specs? (CPU, memory size, disk drive controller
    maker, size and type of floppy drives)

    Tom Lake

  3. Re: Where can i download cpm

    Tom Lake wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >> I would like to try CP/M and dont know were to download it, can anyone
    >> give me a link to a download.

    > CP/M has to be customized for the hardware on which it runs. It's not
    > like MS-DOS
    > that can run on many different clones. Even the disk formats are
    > different between
    > machines.
    > What are your hardware specs? (CPU, memory size, disk drive controller
    > maker, size and type of floppy drives)
    >
    > Tom Lake

    You are right, Tom. But I guess he just want to try it - with a PC. And
    with an emulator, this could be done easily...

    22Nice for DOS (and via Windows command line but NOT Vista) can be
    downloaded at ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/m...e/22nce142.zip
    MyZ80 also for DOS (and via Windows command line but NOT Vista) can be
    downloaded at
    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/m...e/myz80111.zip
    Yaze (also for Windows, but originally for Linux) can be downloaded at
    http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/users/ag/yaze-ag/
    and the Altair Emulator also possible running CP/M can be downloaded at
    http://www.schorn.ch/cpm/intro.html
    last but not least Z80PACK (originally for Linux, but a Win32 version
    exist) from Udo Munk can be downloaded at
    http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/index.html

    The last three emulates a Z80, not CP/M, but can run CP/M still. For
    these you need a Telnet program, Hyperterminal should do the job also.

    Regards
    Peter

    --
    * More infos about vintage computers and CP/M - http://www.z80.eu

  4. Re: Where can i download cpm

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:07:06 -0700 (PDT), nolanh@ymail.com wrote:

    >I would like to try CP/M and dont know were to download it, can anyone
    >give me a link to a download.

    http://www.cpm.z80.de/

    Allison

  5. Re: Where can i download cpm

    >> CP/M has to be customized for the hardware on which it runs. It's not like MS-DOS
    >> that can run on many different clones. Even the disk formats are different
    >> between
    >> machines.

    >> Tom Lake

    > You are right, Tom. But I guess he just want to try it - with a PC. And with an
    > emulator, this could be done easily...

    My bad! I never even consider emulators unless the person specifically asks for one.

    Tom Lake

  6. Re: Where can i download cpm

    *Tom Lake* wrote on Wed, 08-07-16 03:06:
    >It's not like MS-DOS that can run on many different clones.

    That's somewhere in between misleading and wrong.

    The real difference is that MS-DOS can't be customized at all and one
    single hardware platform has to be cloned for it to run at all.

    --
    Tschö wa
    Axel

  7. Re: Where can i download cpm

    nolanh@ymail.com schrieb:
    > I would like to try CP/M and dont know were to download it, can anyone
    > give me a link to a download.

    To try MP/M (multiuser CP/M) without any download at all try telnet
    www.unix4fun.org port 4050 or port 4051.

    Enjoy,
    Udo Munk

  8. Re: Where can i download cpm

    Axel Berger wrote:
    : The real difference is that MS-DOS can't be customized at all and one
    : single hardware platform has to be cloned for it to run at all.

    Beg to differ. Apricot F-series. Sanyo MBC-55x.

    --
    John Elliott

    Thinks: This is what a nice clean life leads to. Hmm, why did I ever lead one?
    -- Bluebottle, in the Goon Show

  9. Re: Where can i download cpm

    On 2008-07-16, John Elliott wrote:
    > Axel Berger wrote:
    >: The real difference is that MS-DOS can't be customized at all and one
    >: single hardware platform has to be cloned for it to run at all.
    >
    > Beg to differ. Apricot F-series. Sanyo MBC-55x.

    DEC Rainbow. DECmate II with XPU. Attache with DOS add-on card. Victor.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  10. Re: Where can i download cpm

    On Jul 16, 7:00 am, no.s...@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:07:06 -0700 (PDT), nol...@ymail.com wrote:
    > >I would like to try CP/M and dont know were to download it, can anyone
    > >give me a link to a download.

    > http://www.cpm.z80.de/
    >
    > Allison

    That's a good link, Allison. Others have posted other links and asked
    questions of the original poster.

    As I've seen this kind of post every few months in comp.os.cpm, and
    with similar responses, I built a Web page to try to provide that
    information and more. My page is:

    http://www.retrotechnology.com/dri/howto_cpm.html

    and it links to the sites mentioned, provides some info, and also
    links to my efforts to document early CP/M development history and the
    earliest products. I'd welcome any comments about my pages. I say
    "mine" but they mostly contain the work of many others, including some
    of the people who posted in this thread.

    Herb Johnson
    retrotechnology.com

    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/ sales web site
    -- old Mac, S-100, 1970's & 80's computers, 8-inch floppy
    http://www.retrotechnology.com/ retro-technology home pages
    -- S-100, CP/M history by "Dr. S-100"
    -- other old tech in iron, glass, rock
    domain mirror: retrotechnology.net
    email: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com

  11. Re: Where can i download cpm

    John!

    Bloody Hell! I sent you a message a few weeks ago, then asked an English
    friend to phone you (he did not manage)...

    So, are you still near the Bluebell Line?

    (You can write me privately.)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  12. Re: Where can i download cpm

    > > Beg to differ. Apricot F-series. Sanyo MBC-55x.
    >
    > DEC Rainbow. DECmate II with XPU. Attache with DOS add-on card. Victor.

    There was a series of articles, in MicroSystems, explaining how to port
    MS-DOS to non IBM Clown hardware. The article I read talked about a S-100
    Bus implementation of MS-DOS.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  13. Re: Where can i download cpm

    Hello, Udo!

    > To try MP/M (multiuser CP/M) without any download at all try telnet
    > www.unix4fun.org port 4050 or port 4051.

    I just did that!

    I had never used telnet on an IBM Clown before...

    (If someone want to know, I could explain, but the messages on my Windows
    98SE computer are in French. Even if I translated them in English, they
    could differ from what you will see on your system. I often wonder why the
    translation in French of Micro**** stuff is so bad... Strange, since
    Micro**** is said to be the most profitable company in the world. Why cannot
    they hire good translators?)

    The problem, for a new comer, is that your MP/M system has precious little
    software. For example, I was surprised that there was not even a HELP
    available...

    When you type DIR, you only see 4 or 5 files. If you don't how how to
    display SYStem files (different under MP/M-II than under CP/M Plus), you are
    in a endless loop.

    On my Hard Disk, somewhere, I have a text file explaining MP/M-II. Do you
    want it, so that people trying your MP/M-II system can read something about
    it?

    (Write me privately for the details.)

    (Also, you could put some "ASCII graphics" (like Snoopy) on the system. By
    the way, the standard line telling which version of MP/M-II, and how much
    TPA, is available (the boot message), were not visible during my trial. I
    suggest to add them.)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  14. Re: Where can i download cpm

    Just when I was closing HyperTerminal (used for telneting under Win 98SE), I
    had a flash and remembered a command.

    I tried it, and the results were more than expected.

    So, I suggest you try: "sdir [dr = al".

    Hope you will like it.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  15. Re: Where can i download cpm

    --{ Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France a plopé ceci: }--

    > I had never used telnet on an IBM Clown before...

    Please don't say "clown" when you use Microsoft Outlook.

    --
    http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/029.html

  16. Re: Where can i download cpm

    --{ John Elliott a plopé ceci: }--

    >: The real difference is that MS-DOS can't be customized at all and one
    >: single hardware platform has to be cloned for it to run at all.
    >
    > Beg to differ. Apricot F-series. Sanyo MBC-55x.

    May be Amiga1000 with the sidecar ?

    | si FT déploie du GPON depuis le NRO vers le bas de l'immeuble, l'intérêt |
    | d'utiliser le P2P en câblage vertical est anéanti. Et donc pour moi,... |
    +----------------------------------------[ Really Cruel Modern World ]-----+

  17. Re: Where can i download cpm

    *Roger Ivie* wrote on Wed, 08-07-16 21:26:
    >> Beg to differ. Apricot F-series. Sanyo MBC-55x.

    > DEC Rainbow. DECmate II with XPU. Attache with DOS add-on card. Victor.

    Thanks, I never knew there were different versions of MS-DOS around.
    But then the argument still holds -- you can't customize it yourself,
    as you can CP/M, but need to buy the correct OS for the machine or vice
    versa.

  18. Re: Where can i download cpm

    *Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France* wrote on Wed, 08-07-16 22:32:
    >I often wonder why the translation in French of Micro**** stuff is so
    >bad...

    As your English is better than their French, why do you not do as I do
    and use the original version?

  19. Re: Where can i download cpm

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:29:15 -0700 (PDT), Herb Johnson
    wrote:

    >On Jul 16, 7:00 am, no.s...@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:07:06 -0700 (PDT), nol...@ymail.com wrote:
    >> >I would like to try CP/M and dont know were to download it, can anyone
    >> >give me a link to a download.

    >> http://www.cpm.z80.de/
    >>
    >> Allison

    >That's a good link, Allison. Others have posted other links and asked
    >questions of the original poster.
    >
    >As I've seen this kind of post every few months in comp.os.cpm, and
    >with similar responses, I built a Web page to try to provide that
    >information and more. My page is:
    >
    >http://www.retrotechnology.com/dri/howto_cpm.html
    >
    >and it links to the sites mentioned, provides some info, and also
    >links to my efforts to document early CP/M development history and the
    >earliest products. I'd welcome any comments about my pages. I say
    >"mine" but they mostly contain the work of many others, including some
    >of the people who posted in this thread.
    >
    >Herb Johnson
    >retrotechnology.com
    >
    >Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    >http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/ sales web site
    >-- old Mac, S-100, 1970's & 80's computers, 8-inch floppy
    >http://www.retrotechnology.com/ retro-technology home pages
    >-- S-100, CP/M history by "Dr. S-100"
    >-- other old tech in iron, glass, rock
    >domain mirror: retrotechnology.net
    >email: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
    >if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net

    Rather than fight a cranky server and put up a more complete query
    I figured the URL was a good shot. I always start with Gaby's work.

    Allison

  20. Re: Where can i download cpm

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:03:00 +0200, Axel_Berger@b.maus.de (Axel
    Berger) wrote:

    >*Tom Lake* wrote on Wed, 08-07-16 03:06:
    >>It's not like MS-DOS that can run on many different clones.

    >That's somewhere in between misleading and wrong.
    >
    >The real difference is that MS-DOS can't be customized at all and one
    >single hardware platform has to be cloned for it to run at all.

    I take that as sarcasm and see it as funny. More true now than then.

    However... I have a S100 (Compupro) with 8088 and a meg of ram
    that does indeed run messydos and CCPM. FYI the 8088 runs at 10mhz
    with static ram and that beats the usual clone running 4.77 or 8mhz.
    However it does not have a video card but, it does service up to 8
    terminal lines. Compared to the average clone it has two 31mb Quantum
    D540s and runs text basd apps far faster than the any of the 8mhz
    clones.

    Allison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast