Re: What value emulators? - CP/M

This is a discussion on Re: What value emulators? - CP/M ; > Message-ID: >I think I'm missing the picture on the emulators... With an emulator I can work at work when I'm not physically sat in front of my main system at home. ....and I don't have any space for a ...

  1. Re: What value emulators?

    >I think I'm missing the picture on the emulators...

    With an emulator I can work at work when I'm not physically sat in
    front of my main system at home.

    ....and I don't have any space for a hardware PDP-11

    --
    J.G.Harston - jgh@arcade.demon.co.uk - mdfs.net/User/JGH
    United Kingdom Tercentenary : 1707-2007 : http://yr300.org.uk

  2. Re: What value emulators?

    On 7/6/08 11:43 AM, in article 080706165509@arcade.demon.co.uk, "Jonathan
    Graham Harston" wrote:

    >> I think I'm missing the picture on the emulators...

    > With an emulator I can work at work when I'm not physically sat in
    > front of my main system at home.
    >
    > ...and I don't have any space for a hardware PDP-11

    For me, the draw is two-fold. First, I'm too lazy sometimes to shuffle off
    to the lab to test something out on my IMSAI or my Altair 8800b.

    Second, I find them useful to get me out of a chicken-and-egg problems. For
    example, I used MyZ80 to build a new CP/M 2.2 system for my IMSAI from
    scratch because the IMSAI has a disk controller and memory combination for
    which I couldn't find a pre-made disk image to work with. Now I have a nice,
    working system that I bootstrapped using emulators.

    Having said that, I find them a lot of fun. I never used an Atari 800 or
    Sinclair Spectrum much as a kid, but I can now, without having to buy them
    on eBay. No, it's not a substitute for having the real thing, but it enables
    me to play around with and learn about different machines I had no previous
    exposure to, all for little or no cost.

    Since I fall in to the emulator-author category, I also like to see the work
    of other emulator authors. It helps me to see how others have attacked
    certain problems, learn from coding styles, and examine other user interface
    layouts.

    Rich
    http://www.altair32.com

  3. Re: What value emulators?

    On 2008-07-06 19:17:36 -0500, "Richard A. Cini" said:

    > On 7/6/08 11:43 AM, in article 080706165509@arcade.demon.co.uk, "Jonathan
    > Graham Harston" wrote:

    >>> I think I'm missing the picture on the emulators...

    >> With an emulator I can work at work when I'm not physically sat in
    >> front of my main system at home.
    >>
    >> ...and I don't have any space for a hardware PDP-11
    >>

    > For me, the draw is two-fold. First, I'm too lazy sometimes to shuffle off
    > to the lab to test something out on my IMSAI or my Altair 8800b.
    >
    > Second, I find them useful to get me out of a chicken-and-egg problems. For
    > example, I used MyZ80 to build a new CP/M 2.2 system for my IMSAI from
    > scratch because the IMSAI has a disk controller and memory combination for
    > which I couldn't find a pre-made disk image to work with. Now I have a nice,
    > working system that I bootstrapped using emulators.
    >
    > Having said that, I find them a lot of fun. I never used an Atari 800 or
    > Sinclair Spectrum much as a kid, but I can now, without having to buy them
    > on eBay. No, it's not a substitute for having the real thing, but it enables
    > me to play around with and learn about different machines I had no previous
    > exposure to, all for little or no cost.
    >
    > Since I fall in to the emulator-author category, I also like to see the work
    > of other emulator authors. It helps me to see how others have attacked
    > certain problems, learn from coding styles, and examine other user interface
    > layouts.
    >
    > Rich
    > http://www.altair32.com

    Speaking of myz80, does anyone know if S. Cran is still around?

    Moreover, has this great little prog ever been disassembled, or
    sourced? It would certainly be fine to have this one on a linux or OS
    X system.

  4. Re: What value emulators?

    I just did some searching, and http://www.linkedin.com/pub/4/568/109 looks like it's the one.
    --
    Herbert Oppmann, Herforder Str. 40, 90425 Nürnberg, Germany

  5. Re: What value emulators?

    Herbert Oppmann wrote:
    > cat@theshack.org wrote:
    >
    >> Speaking of myz80, does anyone know if S. Cran is still around?

    > I just did some searching, and http://www.linkedin.com/pub/4/568/109 looks like it's the one.

    Hi Herbert,

    you seem to be right, but in order to contact him,
    you have to pay a lot of bucks to "linkedin"!

    Greetings,

    Uwe.

+ Reply to Thread