Re: CPMtools help - CP/M

This is a discussion on Re: CPMtools help - CP/M ; Think one of you guys can give this dummy an assist? Using CPMtools 2.7 - trying to open a .ydsk (yaze-ag) Can't work cpmls. I tried: cpmls -f ibm-3740 diskname.ydsk result: cpmls: can not open -f (No such file or ...

  1. Re: CPMtools help

    Think one of you guys can give this dummy an assist?

    Using CPMtools 2.7 - trying to open a .ydsk (yaze-ag)

    Can't work cpmls.

    I tried:

    cpmls -f ibm-3740 diskname.ydsk
    result:
    cpmls: can not open -f (No such file or directory)

    cpmls -ibm-3740 diskname.yds.
    result:
    ../cpmls: illegal option -- b
    ../cpmls: illegal option -- m
    ../cpmls: illegal option -- -
    ../cpmls: illegal option -- 3
    ../cpmls: illegal option -- 7
    ../cpmls: illegal option -- 4
    ../cpmls: illegal option -- 0

    Help?

    Tnx

  2. Re: CPMtools help

    Hello Heyu,

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:06:14 -0500, Heyu wrote:

    >Can't work cpmls.
    >
    >I tried:
    >
    >cpmls -f ibm-3740 diskname.ydsk
    >result:
    >cpmls: can not open -f (No such file or directory)
    >
    >cpmls -ibm-3740 diskname.yds.
    >result:
    >./cpmls: illegal option -- b
    >./cpmls: illegal option -- m
    >./cpmls: illegal option -- -
    >./cpmls: illegal option -- 3
    >./cpmls: illegal option -- 7
    >./cpmls: illegal option -- 4
    >./cpmls: illegal option -- 0
    >
    >Help?

    Have you Linux or Windows?

    Linux is very better.

    example: cpmls -f hd disks/drivei.cpm

    See this Site.

    http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/index.html

    Quickstart to run the Digital Research OS's:

    9. To exchange files between the UNIX host and the CP/M disk images
    download and install cpmtools.

    Rolf

  3. Re: CPMtools help

    On 2008-07-03 12:49:42 -0500, Rolf Harrmann
    said:

    > Hello Heyu,
    >
    > On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:06:14 -0500, Heyu wrote:
    >
    >> Can't work cpmls.
    >>
    >> I tried:
    >>
    >> cpmls -f ibm-3740 diskname.ydsk
    >> result:
    >> cpmls: can not open -f (No such file or directory)
    >>
    >> cpmls -ibm-3740 diskname.yds.
    >> result:
    >> ./cpmls: illegal option -- b
    >> ./cpmls: illegal option -- m
    >> ./cpmls: illegal option -- -
    >> ./cpmls: illegal option -- 3
    >> ./cpmls: illegal option -- 7
    >> ./cpmls: illegal option -- 4
    >> ./cpmls: illegal option -- 0
    >>
    >> Help?

    > Have you Linux or Windows?
    >
    > Linux is very better.
    >
    > example: cpmls -f hd disks/drivei.cpm
    >
    > See this Site.
    >
    > http://www.unix4fun.org/z80pack/index.html
    >
    > Quickstart to run the Digital Research OS's:
    >
    > 9. To exchange files between the UNIX host and the CP/M disk images
    > download and install cpmtools.
    >
    > Rolf

    Thank you, Rolf.

    I think I have a compiler problem. I have a Mac, OSX 10.4 and also
    10.5. This compiles very different on 10.4 and 10.5.

    But, both compilations result in an error with cpml. The 10.4 compiles
    says "0 files", as though it can read the *.ydsk. The 10.5 compilation
    says nothing (no error, just nothing). I used identical commands as
    what you say in your msg, and I'm assuming yaze-ag uses the standard
    IBM 8" format for its images.

    i don't know - Mac compilation is very strange. The binaries APPEAR to
    work, but they do not always behave (at least on 10.5). I had to
    compile yaze-ag in 10.4 to make it work, and it works fine. But not so
    well in 10.4.

    I don't think there is a pre-compiled version of CPMtools for Mac, or a
    makefile just for Mac.

    I do appreciate your help.
    tnx

  4. Re: CPMtools help

    Hello Heyu,

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:41:06 -0500, Heyu wrote:

    >I don't think there is a pre-compiled version of CPMtools for Mac, or a
    >makefile just for Mac.

    I have not a Mac and the Version of cpmtools-2.7 run on my Linux and
    not on my Windows 2000 or XP.

    The Description of cpmtools is not good also.
    Learn by doing.

    Rolf

  5. Re: CPMtools help

    On 2008-07-03 14:52:52 -0500, Rolf Harrmann
    said:

    > Hello Heyu,
    >
    > On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:41:06 -0500, Heyu wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think there is a pre-compiled version of CPMtools for Mac, or a
    >> makefile just for Mac.

    > I have not a Mac and the Version of cpmtools-2.7 run on my Linux and
    > not on my Windows 2000 or XP.
    >
    > The Description of cpmtools is not good also.
    > Learn by doing.
    >
    > Rolf

    Yes.

    Doing is the only way.

    I'll figure it out. I love linux for programming. The Mac is for my
    music, but I have not set up two computers yet. I just got rid of my
    Windows machine. Yuk!

    Tnx, Rolf

  6. Re: CPMtools help

    On 2008-07-03 14:52:52 -0500, Rolf Harrmann
    said:

    > Hello Heyu,
    >
    > On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:41:06 -0500, Heyu wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think there is a pre-compiled version of CPMtools for Mac, or a
    >> makefile just for Mac.

    > I have not a Mac and the Version of cpmtools-2.7 run on my Linux and
    > not on my Windows 2000 or XP.
    >
    > The Description of cpmtools is not good also.
    > Learn by doing.
    >
    > Rolf

    So weird . . .

    I downloaded z80pack - unpacked the folder.
    I added the hd definition to diskdefs.
    I tried cpmls on the hd-tools.dsk, using just what you said, Rolf:
    cpmls -f hd hd-tools.dsk
    It works perfectly!
    So the compilation is OK.

    But it will not work on *.ydsk, or any *.dsk for altairZ80.

    Maybe my diskdefs is wrong.

    Thanks, Rolf.

    I'm getting there . . .

  7. Re: CPMtools help

    On 2008-07-03 14:52:52 -0500, Rolf Harrmann
    said:

    > Hello Heyu,
    >
    > On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:41:06 -0500, Heyu wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think there is a pre-compiled version of CPMtools for Mac, or a
    >> makefile just for Mac.

    > I have not a Mac and the Version of cpmtools-2.7 run on my Linux and
    > not on my Windows 2000 or XP.
    >
    > The Description of cpmtools is not good also.
    > Learn by doing.
    >
    > Rolf

    Dumb me.

    cpmls -f hd *.ydsk

    That does it. Told ya I wasn't brilliant . . .

    Tnx again, Rolf.

  8. Re: CPMtools help

    Rolf Harrmann schrieb:
    [...]
    > Have you Linux or Windows?
    >
    > Linux is very better.

    I installed cpmtools 2.7 on various UNIX systems and also on a Windows
    XP system build under cygwin. It works the same in this environment as
    with any UNIX environment. Working with command line tools in an Windows
    environment with cygwin is pretty much the same as working in a GNU UNIX
    environment.

    Udo Munk

  9. Re: CPMtools help

    Hello Udo,

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 19:32:04 +0200, Udo Munk wrote:

    >I installed cpmtools 2.7 on various UNIX systems and also on a Windows
    >XP system build under cygwin. It works the same in this environment as
    >with any UNIX environment. Working with command line tools in an Windows
    >environment with cygwin is pretty much the same as working in a GNU UNIX
    >environment.

    I have installed cpmtools 2.7 on my Linux.

    There it on Linux does not run needs I it for Windows 2000 or XP.

    Rolf

  10. Re: CPMtools help

    On 2008-07-04 12:32:04 -0500, Udo Munk said:

    > Rolf Harrmann schrieb:
    > [...]
    >> Have you Linux or Windows?
    >>
    >> Linux is very better.

    > I installed cpmtools 2.7 on various UNIX systems and also on a Windows
    > XP system build under cygwin. It works the same in this environment as
    > with any UNIX environment. Working with command line tools in an Windows
    > environment with cygwin is pretty much the same as working in a GNU UNIX
    > environment.
    >
    > Udo Munk

    I finally have this under control. CPMTools works on my Windows L-top,
    Mac and linux.
    I know just have to remember the disk formats and definitions.

    btw - is there a simple way to create a new HD under altairZ80? I have
    to copy the i.dsk, rename it to j.dsk. Can't seem to format or xformat
    (altairZ80 hangs), so I just delete everything on the copy. Can't find
    this in the manual. But again, I'm no PhD. . .

  11. Re: CPMtools help

    On 2008-07-04 13:36:21 -0500, Heyu said:

    > On 2008-07-04 12:32:04 -0500, Udo Munk said:
    >
    >> Rolf Harrmann schrieb:
    >> [...]
    >>> Have you Linux or Windows?
    >>>
    >>> Linux is very better.

    >> I installed cpmtools 2.7 on various UNIX systems and also on a Windows
    >> XP system build under cygwin. It works the same in this environment as
    >> with any UNIX environment. Working with command line tools in an Windows
    >> environment with cygwin is pretty much the same as working in a GNU UNIX
    >> environment.
    >>
    >> Udo Munk

    > I finally have this under control. CPMTools works on my Windows L-top,
    > Mac and linux.
    > I know just have to remember the disk formats and definitions.
    >
    > btw - is there a simple way to create a new HD under altairZ80? I have
    > to copy the i.dsk, rename it to j.dsk. Can't seem to format or xformat
    > (altairZ80 hangs), so I just delete everything on the copy. Can't find
    > this in the manual. But again, I'm no PhD. . .

    Never mind, blind 'old man found the answer in manual.

  12. Re: CPMtools help

    Hello Heyu,

    Heyu wrote:

    > On 2008-07-04 13:36:21 -0500, Heyu said:

    >> btw - is there a simple way to create a new HD under altairZ80? I
    >> have
    >> to copy the i.dsk, rename it to j.dsk. Can't seem to format or
    >> xformat
    >> (altairZ80 hangs), so I just delete everything on the copy. Can't
    >> find
    >> this in the manual. But again, I'm no PhD. . .

    > Never mind, blind 'old man found the answer in manual.

    This is my File for altairZ80 z3plus.

    d tracks[0-7] 254
    attach dsk0 z3plus.dsk
    attach dsk1 z3plusb.dsk
    attach dsk2 c.dsk
    attach dsk3 d.dsk
    attach hdsk0 i.dsk
    attach hdsk1 j.dsk
    reset cpu
    d common c000
    set cpu 64k
    set cpu banked
    set cpu itrap
    set cpu z80
    set cpu altairrom
    d clock 0
    set sio nosleep
    boot dsk0

    Rolf

  13. Re: CPMtools help

    On 2008-07-04 14:45:30 -0500, Rolf Harrmann
    said:

    > Hello Heyu,
    >
    > Heyu wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-07-04 13:36:21 -0500, Heyu said:

    >>> btw - is there a simple way to create a new HD under altairZ80? I
    >>> have
    >>> to copy the i.dsk, rename it to j.dsk. Can't seem to format or
    >>> xformat
    >>> (altairZ80 hangs), so I just delete everything on the copy. Can't
    >>> find
    >>> this in the manual. But again, I'm no PhD. . .

    >> Never mind, blind 'old man found the answer in manual.

    > This is my File for altairZ80 z3plus.
    >
    > d tracks[0-7] 254
    > attach dsk0 z3plus.dsk
    > attach dsk1 z3plusb.dsk
    > attach dsk2 c.dsk
    > attach dsk3 d.dsk
    > attach hdsk0 i.dsk
    > attach hdsk1 j.dsk
    > reset cpu
    > d common c000
    > set cpu 64k
    > set cpu banked
    > set cpu itrap
    > set cpu z80
    > set cpu altairrom
    > d clock 0
    > set sio nosleep
    > boot dsk0
    >
    > Rolf

    Oh, 3 large floppies - nice idea.
    I didn't realize it could take more than 2.

    Thanks, Rolf