Will the real Altair Basic please stand up? - CP/M

This is a discussion on Will the real Altair Basic please stand up? - CP/M ; no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net schrieb: >> I don't know about that. >> But, using the high bit of a character to signal the end of the >> string, was common enough, back when, byte counting counted. C wastes >> a null character to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Will the real Altair Basic please stand up?

    no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net schrieb:

    >> I don't know about that.
    >> But, using the high bit of a character to signal the end of the
    >> string, was common enough, back when, byte counting counted. C wastes
    >> a null character to signal the end of the string.
    >>

    > Your also right on that. Saved a byte for every string.
    >
    > Allison

    That incredible waste of one byte allows to send 8bit chars to
    terminals, instead of using the 8th bit for that. FIG Forth e.g. used
    the 8th bit to terminate dictionary words, but unfortunately 'forgot' to
    reset it before output. They assumed the BIOS does, my won't because I
    want full terminal capabilities and not stripped ones ;-)

    Udo Munk

  2. Re: Will the real Altair Basic please stand up?

    wrote in message
    > I wonder if you Altair will get the flakies when you extend the bus,
    > mine did. Ended up putting in a wamco terminated bus card.
    > Back then the industry was new and many were still trying to figure
    > out what worked without overkill.
    >
    > Allison

    Exactly my concern. That's why I haven't upgraded it already. I've read
    horror stories about this and I fear it will open up a pandora's box of
    problems. There's nothing worse for the ego than having reached a
    significant milestone (i.e. getting everything working finally!) and then
    having all hell break loose when you take just one more step forward. But,
    I'm sure I can find a terminator card, or even build one from a spare S-100
    proto board.

    I do have one "flakiness" currently in the system: About 1 in 10 or so
    DEPOSIT NEXTs fails. I can easily see this with the LEDs and it's usually
    bit zero that's the culprit. The address does increment, so I just do a
    DEPOSIT, and all is well. I figure the timing on a one shot may be
    marginal; but since it's an easy workaround (never have to take your finger
    off the toggle), I never investigated it.

    -John

  3. Re: Will the real Altair Basic please stand up?

    On Jul 12, 3:30*pm, "John Crane" wrote:

    > I've been thinking of playing around with paper tapes. *I see modern,
    > hobbyist style tape readers on ebay every so often. *But I'd need a punch
    > too, and I haven't seen one of those in a while. *And I have too much on my
    > plate to try to get an old Teletype up and running again.
    >
    > -John-

    ---
    I've got a few readers & perfs somewhere, but they'd need some custom
    interfacing; also, the perforators are pretty heavy (shipping costs
    from Canada).

    But if you want to send me your email address off-list I can get in
    touch with you if & when I get around to digging through that pile in
    case you're (still) interested.

    mike

  4. Re: Will the real Altair Basic please stand up?

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:19:13 -0500, "John Crane" wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >> I wonder if you Altair will get the flakies when you extend the bus,
    >> mine did. Ended up putting in a wamco terminated bus card.
    >> Back then the industry was new and many were still trying to figure
    >> out what worked without overkill.
    >>
    >> Allison

    >Exactly my concern. That's why I haven't upgraded it already. I've read
    >horror stories about this and I fear it will open up a pandora's box of
    >problems. There's nothing worse for the ego than having reached a
    >significant milestone (i.e. getting everything working finally!) and then
    >having all hell break loose when you take just one more step forward. But,
    >I'm sure I can find a terminator card, or even build one from a spare S-100
    >proto board.
    >
    >I do have one "flakiness" currently in the system: About 1 in 10 or so
    >DEPOSIT NEXTs fails. I can easily see this with the LEDs and it's usually
    >bit zero that's the culprit. The address does increment, so I just do a
    >DEPOSIT, and all is well. I figure the timing on a one shot may be
    >marginal; but since it's an easy workaround (never have to take your finger
    >off the toggle), I never investigated it.

    Could also be bus noise on MWR line. I'd go for the extender as you
    know where your going and if it gets wonky you'll know why. Bus
    terminator will certainly help.

    Allison

    >-John

+ Reply to Thread