|| Need help with cpm86.exe - CP/M

This is a discussion on || Need help with cpm86.exe - CP/M ; Does cpm86.exe work? I've tried this time and again under XP, and continually get the usage directions, then the error the the *.cmd file cannot be located. I've adjusted paths, also placed both the *.cmd files in the system path ...

  1. || Need help with cpm86.exe

    Does cpm86.exe work?

    I've tried this time and again under XP,
    and continually get the usage directions,
    then the error the the *.cmd file cannot be
    located.

    I've adjusted paths, also placed both the
    *.cmd files in the system path folders along
    with the cpm86 executable, and the program will
    still not find the .cmd applications.

    I even ran cpm86 under DosBox, thinking that
    cmd.exe was just too lousy a DOS emulator to
    work.

    Can't do it. I start like this:

    "cpm86.exe .cmd".

    No can do. The prog suggest "usage", as:

    CPM .cmd

    Needless to say, that doesn't work, as cpm86.exe
    opens, displays the "cannot locate the .cmd" file
    msg, and closes.

    What am I missing here?

    Thanks,

    lr

    Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final
    ------------------- ----- ---- -- -

  2. Re: || Need help with cpm86.exe

    On Feb 12, 3:26 pm, Lowram (.@.) wrote:
    > Does cpm86.exe work?

    Yes, although it works better under Win95 or Win98 than XP.
    I don't have all the answers, it's complicated, but let's see if I can
    help.

    > I've tried this time and again under XP,
    > and continually get the usage directions,
    > then the error the the *.cmd file cannot be
    > located.

    Presuming you've placed all relevant files in one folder, from within
    that folder do the following:

    Create a shortcut to CPM86.EXE : Highlight CPM86.EXE then right
    click. On the menu which displays, select: create shortcut.

    Then highlight the 'shortcut to CPM86.EXE' shortcut, and right click
    it, on the menu which displays, select properties. In the properties
    box, General tab, see that the attributes 'Hidden' and 'Read-Only' are
    unchecked, if you needed to change anything then make sure you click
    the 'Apply' button now.

    Now select the Program tab. Uncheck the 'Close on exit' box and click
    the 'Apply' button. Inspect the paths in the 'Cmd line:' & 'Working:'
    to see that thay match and that they point to this current location.
    The 'Cmd Line:' will additionally have CPM86.EXE at the end of the
    path. Note that if a shortcut was transferred or copied from another
    location, these paths will either be incorrect or may point to another
    unexpected location.

    Now click inside the 'Cmd line:' box. Press the [end] button on your
    keyboard to go to the end on the cmdline, just past CPM86.EXE. Add a
    space and add the '?' question mark, and click on the 'Apply' button.
    What this does is it displays a dialog box when you run the shortcut
    so that you can enter in a long command line. For example, say you
    originally wanted to do this:

    CPM86.EXE ASM86 mybios $sz hz -which will work under pure dos, but
    windows generally mangles it & there is a character limit to the
    length of the Cmdline, which includes the length of the location path.

    Now when you run the shortcut you will get a dialog box to enter it
    into-

    ASM86 mybios $sz hz

    This should work for you, see if it does.

    Now the caveats, there are issues depending are what specifically you
    are going to do. XP seems to only allow one output file from the
    target application. For ASM86.CMD above, normally it outputs 3 files,
    but XP gives 'FCBS unavailable' error unless you restrict ASM86.CMD to
    generating one output file, as I have done, above, with the $sz hz
    suppression parameters to ASM86.CMD. Win95 is more liberal in this
    regard. So what is normally a one step operation with ASM86 becomes
    at least three steps now.

    I'll stop here.

    Steve

    > I've adjusted paths, also placed both the
    > *.cmd files in the system path folders along
    > with the cpm86 executable, and the program will
    > still not find the .cmd applications.
    >
    > I even ran cpm86 under DosBox, thinking that
    > cmd.exe was just too lousy a DOS emulator to
    > work.
    >
    > Can't do it. I start like this:
    >
    > "cpm86.exe .cmd".
    >
    > No can do. The prog suggest "usage", as:
    >
    > CPM .cmd
    >
    > Needless to say, that doesn't work, as cpm86.exe
    > opens, displays the "cannot locate the .cmd" file
    > msg, and closes.
    >
    > What am I missing here?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > lr
    >
    > --
    > --------------------------------- --- -- -
    > Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final
    > Web @http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
    > ------------------- ----- ---- -- -

  3. Re: || Need help with cpm86.exe

    Thanks, Steve -

    That works. I was unaware of the "?" option. Apparently neither the
    program nor the executables need to be in the system path, nor do
    spaces in the path to the executable matter, so it seems.

    Shame about the disassembly file limit. Wonder if there is a cmd.exe
    workaround. Or perhaps Windows Power Shell can permit it (unless
    Powershell passes the cmd interpretation to cmd.exe, I don't really
    know.)

    If you know of any "shell" type CPM-86 emus out there, similar to
    "MyZ80" for 086, please lemme know. I've not been able to find any.
    Nor have I been able to make a working boot image for CPM-86. There
    is a 1.44 boot flop image out there, and written to real FD, it works.
    I can boot my P4 with it. But I can't image it for emulation.

    Again, thanks kindly for your help.

    Gil

    Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final
    ------------------- ----- ---- -- -

  4. Re: || Need help with cpm86.exe

    Lowram (.@.) wrote:

    > Nor have I been able to make a working boot image for CPM-86. There
    > is a 1.44 boot flop image out there, and written to real FD, it works.
    > I can boot my P4 with it. But I can't image it for emulation.

    Some time ago I wrote this message about installing cp/m 86 under dosemu.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....f22a346?hl=es&

    --
    Salu2

  5. Re: || Need help with cpm86.exe

    On Feb 13, 2:46 pm, Lowram (.@.) wrote:
    > Thanks, Steve -
    >
    > That works. I was unaware of the "?" option. Apparently neither the
    > program nor the executables need to be in the system path, nor do
    > spaces in the path to the executable matter, so it seems.

    Glad that works for you.

    In the shortcut property, program tab, if you click the 'advanced'
    button, it gives the windows PIF setting, showing the autoexec and
    config paths and files used for the 'shell' as you called it. The
    autoexec.nt and config.nt files are probably in the windows\system32\
    folder, you can look at those, perhaps for some ideas. It seems the
    dosx executable is what governs this enviornment.

    > Shame about the disassembly file limit. Wonder if there is a cmd.exe
    > workaround. Or perhaps Windows Power Shell can permit it (unless
    > Powershell passes the cmd interpretation to cmd.exe, I don't really
    > know.)

    Actually asm86 is the dri assembler which output 3 files; a listing
    file, a symbols file, and the hexadecimal object file, in the process
    of assembly. It seems the XP cmd shell won't provide the resources to
    manage the three ouput files at the same time, or perhaps I too am
    missing something. Under win95 this is allowed. and win98 too IIRC.

    > If you know of any "shell" type CPM-86 emus out there, similar to
    > "MyZ80" for 086, please lemme know. I've not been able to find any.
    > Nor have I been able to make a working boot image for CPM-86. There
    > is a 1.44 boot flop image out there, and written to real FD, it works.
    > I can boot my P4 with it. But I can't image it for emulation.

    There is probably only a handful or two of people which mess around
    with cpm86, and I think most of us use a spare old computer to devote
    to it. What would otherwise be obsolete by today's standards [or even
    yesterdays standards], finds a new use with cp/m86 experimenting. I
    mostly use an old laptop as a dedicated system for cpm86 and dr-dos.
    It is too low end by todays standard to run win98 even, which makes it
    ideal for cp/m-86. If you ask around, perhaps you can find such a
    thing for nearly free.

    Have fun!

    Steve

    > Again, thanks kindly for your help.
    >
    > Gil
    >
    > --
    > --------------------------------- --- -- -
    > Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final
    > Web @http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
    > ------------------- ----- ---- -- -

  6. Re: || Need help with cpm86.exe

    s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:

    > ASM86 mybios $sz hz
    >
    > This should work for you, see if it does.
    >
    > Now the caveats, there are issues depending are what specifically you
    > are going to do. XP seems to only allow one output file from the
    > target application. For ASM86.CMD above, normally it outputs 3 files,
    > but XP gives 'FCBS unavailable' error unless you restrict ASM86.CMD to
    > generating one output file, as I have done, above, with the $sz hz
    > suppression parameters to ASM86.CMD. Win95 is more liberal in this
    > regard. So what is normally a one step operation with ASM86 becomes
    > at least three steps now.
    >
    > I'll stop here.
    >
    > Steve

    I was able to get CPM86.EXE to work nicely under Windows XP by inserting
    the line "FCBS=8" in c:\windows\system32\config.nt. It is able to
    produce all the output files of A86 in one assembly. I didn't find it
    necessary to modify the shortcut in order to get it to work in a command
    window.

    I think the emulator just passes several CP/M-86 system calls related to
    files straight through to MS-DOS. Thus if Windows doesn't reserved
    enough FCBS then the problem results.

    See below for notes and example output.

    I am wondering if anyone knows how to set the options mentioned in the
    code of the emulator. I haven't been able to devise any command line
    text which is accepted. Perhaps they are changed by patching the program
    code itself? If anyone knows how it is done please inform us.

    Starting at offset 0609H in the program file:

    *****START OF USER OPTIONS BDOS function call frequencies 0=NO,
    1=YES===>0<== Wordstar key translation 0=NO, 1=YES===>1<== CP/M-86
    escape sequences 0=NO, 1=YES===>1<== BDOS version to return (function
    12)===>1<== Compatibility 0=CP/M, 1=CCP/M,CDOS===>0<== END OF
    USER OPTIONS***** CP/M-86 emulator for DOS vers 1.3 - 11/30/97
    Copyright (c) 1985, 1997 Jim Lopushinsky

    Jeffrey W. Shook

    e-mail: jwsusenet@mail*chem*sunysb*edu
    hint: use . in place of *

    Microsoft Windows XP Command Line Reference
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...us/ntcmds.mspx
    FCBS page in above
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

    Examples

    To specify that the MS-DOS subsystem can have up to eight file control
    blocks open at the same time, type the following line in your Config.nt
    file:

    fcbs=8

    Must reboot computer for this to take effect!

    Excerpt from c:\windows\system32\config.nt

    dos=high,umb
    device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    rem device=%SystemRoot%\system32\setver.exe
    files=40
    FCBS=8

    Put all CP/M-86 files and CPM86.EXE in folder .\cpm

    Put .asm files to test in folder .\src

    cd src

    path ..\cpm;%path%

    Example operation:

    E:\Imsai\emu\cpm86jl\src>dir ..\cpm
    Volume in drive E is jwsxp-e
    Volume Serial Number is 8C56-521A

    Directory of E:\Imsai\emu\cpm86jl\cpm

    02/15/2007 10:15 PM .
    02/15/2007 10:15 PM ..
    03/05/2005 11:28 PM 26,240 ASM86.CMD
    03/05/2005 11:28 PM 3,712 ASSIGN.CMD
    03/05/2005 11:28 PM 2,688 CONFIG.CMD
    09/18/1997 01:23 AM 18,432 CPM.SYS
    03/04/2005 08:57 PM 11,264 CPM86.EXE
    03/05/2005 11:28 PM 384 DATA.PFK
    03/05/2005 11:28 PM 14,336 DDT86.CMD
    03/05/2005 11:28 PM 4,352 DSKMAINT.CMD
    11/30/1979 12:00 AM 9,472 ED.CMD
    03/05/2005 11:28 PM 2,048 FUNCTION.CMD
    03/05/2005 11:28 PM 5,760 GENCMD.CMD
    03/05/2005 11:28 PM 25,088 HDMAINT.CMD
    03/05/2005 11:28 PM 6,656 HELP.CMD
    03/05/2005 11:28 PM 16,384 HELP.HLP
    03/05/2005 11:29 PM 7,552 PIP.CMD
    03/05/2005 11:29 PM 5,120 PRINT.CMD
    03/05/2005 11:29 PM 8,064 SETUP.CMD
    03/05/2005 11:29 PM 9,344 STAT.CMD
    03/05/2005 11:29 PM 3,968 SUBMIT.CMD
    03/05/2005 11:29 PM 2,688 TOD.CMD
    20 File(s) 183,552 bytes
    2 Dir(s) 44,106,473,472 bytes free

    E:\Imsai\emu\cpm86jl\src>dir
    Volume in drive E is jwsxp-e
    Volume Serial Number is 8C56-521A

    Directory of E:\Imsai\emu\cpm86jl\src

    02/15/2007 10:20 PM .
    02/15/2007 10:20 PM ..
    11/07/1997 06:26 PM 19,072 INITDISK.A86
    03/03/2005 11:17 PM 183,936 MDM840.A86
    2 File(s) 203,008 bytes
    2 Dir(s) 44,106,473,472 bytes free

    E:\Imsai\emu\cpm86jl\src>

    E:\Imsai\emu\cpm86jl\src>cpm86 asm86 initdisk
    CP/M-86 emulator for DOS vers 1.3 - 11/30/97
    Copyright (c) 1985, 1997 Jim Lopushinsky

    CP/M 8086 ASSEMBLER VER 1.1
    END OF PASS 1
    END OF PASS 2
    END OF ASSEMBLY. NUMBER OF ERRORS: 0. USE FACTOR: 6%

    E:\Imsai\emu\cpm86jl\src>cpm86 asm86 mdm840
    CP/M-86 emulator for DOS vers 1.3 - 11/30/97
    Copyright (c) 1985, 1997 Jim Lopushinsky

    CP/M 8086 ASSEMBLER VER 1.1
    END OF PASS 1
    END OF PASS 2
    END OF ASSEMBLY. NUMBER OF ERRORS: 0. USE FACTOR: 40%

    E:\Imsai\emu\cpm86jl\src>dir
    Volume in drive E is jwsxp-e
    Volume Serial Number is 8C56-521A

    Directory of E:\Imsai\emu\cpm86jl\src

    02/15/2007 10:16 PM .
    02/15/2007 10:16 PM ..
    11/07/1997 06:26 PM 19,072 INITDISK.A86
    02/15/2007 10:16 PM 9,088 INITDISK.H86
    02/15/2007 10:16 PM 55,936 INITDISK.LST
    02/15/2007 10:16 PM 2,304 INITDISK.SYM
    03/03/2005 11:17 PM 183,936 MDM840.A86
    02/15/2007 10:16 PM 49,792 MDM840.H86
    02/15/2007 10:16 PM 513,920 MDM840.LST
    02/15/2007 10:16 PM 14,208 MDM840.SYM
    8 File(s) 848,256 bytes
    2 Dir(s) 44,105,814,016 bytes free

    Note that CPM86.EXE seems to put the console into overstrike mode rather
    than insert mode when it is run.

  7. Re: || Need help with cpm86.exe

    > I was able to get CPM86.EXE to work nicely under Windows XP by inserting
    > the line "FCBS=8" in c:\windows\system32\config.nt. It is able to
    > produce all the output files of A86 in one assembly. I didn't find it
    > necessary to modify the shortcut in order to get it to work in a command
    > window.

    Thanks for pointing that out..

    > I am wondering if anyone knows how to set the options mentioned in the
    > code of the emulator. I haven't been able to devise any command line
    > text which is accepted. Perhaps they are changed by patching the program
    > code itself? If anyone knows how it is done please inform us.
    >
    > Starting at offset 0609H in the program file:
    >
    > *****START OF USER OPTIONS BDOS function call frequencies 0=NO,
    > 1=YES===>0<== Wordstar key translation 0=NO, 1=YES===>1<== CP/M-86
    > escape sequences 0=NO, 1=YES===>1<== BDOS version to return (function
    > 12)===>1<== Compatibility 0=CP/M, 1=CCP/M,CDOS===>0<== END OF
    > USER OPTIONS***** " CP/M-86 emulator for DOS vers 1.3 - 11/30/97
    > Copyright (c) 1985, 1997 Jim Lopushinsky

    ....From CPM.DOC...

    Copyright (c) 1985-1997 Jim Lopushinsky

    email: jimlop@ix.netcom.com

    This is my original documentation:

    Dec 10, 1985
    Jim Lopushinsky

    CPM.EXE allows execution of CP/M-86 .CMD files under MS-DOS and PC-
    DOS.

    A>CPM

    To run CP/M-80 .COM files, run the Z80 emulator under the CPM
    emulator:

    A>CPM Z80

    Don't try running any funny CP/M stuff that calls the BIOS disk I/O
    functions directly. It won't work. Other than that, virtually any
    CP/M-86 .CMD program will be successfully executed. Note that
    programs
    which make use of MP/M or Concurrent extended functions will not work.

    All functions except one are totally machine independent, and should
    run on any hardware configuration of MS-DOS version 3.0 or greater.
    The only exception: There is no DOS function call for printer status,
    and the CP/M printer status request is translated to INT 17H. This
    should work fine on any PC or PC Clone.

    Nov 30/97:

    ANSI.SYS is required if you plan to run .CMD files that use IBM CP/
    M-86
    version 1.1 or newer (or CCPM, CDOS etc) escape sequences. The
    following
    CP/M escape sequences are converted to ANSI escape sequences:

    ESC A cursor up
    ESC B cursor down
    ESC C cursor forward
    ESC D cursor back
    ESC E clear screen and cursor home
    ESC H cursor home
    ESC K clear to end of line from cursor position
    ESC Y set cursor position
    ESC : program function key
    ESC a set video mode
    ESC b set forground color
    ESC c set background color
    ESC j save cursor position
    ESC k restore cursor position
    ESC m cursor on
    ESC n cursor off
    ESC p reverse video on
    ESC q reverse video off
    ESC r intensity on
    ESC s blink on
    ESC t blink off
    ESC u intensity off

    WordStar key translations are preformed based on an IBM compatible
    keyboard
    as follows:

    ALT-X ^KX Save and exit
    Up Arrow ^E Cursor up
    Down Arrow ^X Cursor down
    Left Arrow ^S Cursor left
    Right Arrow ^D Cursor right
    Page Up ^R Scroll screen up
    Page Down ^C Scroll screen down
    Insert ^V Toggle insert mode
    Delete ^G Delete character at cursor
    Home ^QS Beginning of line
    End ^QD End of line
    Ctrl-Page Down ^QC End of document
    Ctrl-Page Up ^QR Beginning of document

    ------------------------------

    Configuration options:

    You will need a hex editor to change configuration. Search for the
    string "USER OPTIONS" in CPM.EXE. Currently, the following options
    can be changed:

    BDOS call frequencies.

    Offset 655 hex. 0 = no frequencies, 1 = tabulate CP/M BDOS call
    frequencies. Default = off. If this option is set, after any CP/M-86
    CMD file terminates, run CPMFREQ.EXE and examine CPMFREQ.TXT.
    CPMFREQ.EXE requires CPM.TXT and CPMFREQ.DAT. CPMFREQ.DAT is produced
    by the CP/M emulator.

    WordStar key translation.

    Offset 685 hex. 0 = no translation, 1 = translate to WS key
    sequences.
    Default = on.

    IBM-PC CP/M-86 screen escape sequences.

    Offset 6B5 hex. 0 = no translation, 1 = translate CP/M-86 screen
    codes
    to ANSI. Default = on. ANSI.SYS required if enabled.

    BDOS version.

    Offset 6E5 hex. This is a BCD value for the BDOS version that CP/M
    function 12 returns. Default value = 31 hex. Change to 22 hex for
    CP/M-86.

    CP/M compatibility.

    Offset 715 hex. 0 = CP/M compatible, 1 = CCP/M, CDOS compatible.
    Default = 0 (CP/M compatible). This changes how BDOS functions 31
    (get_DBP) and 53 (mc_max) operate:

    CP/M compatible: Function 31 (get DBP) returns SPT (sectors per
    track) as the number of logical 128 byte
    sectors.
    Function 53 (get max memory) does not allocate
    the memory.

    CCP/M compatible: Function 31 (get DBP) returns SPT as the
    number
    of physical sectors.
    Function 53 (get max memory) allocates the
    memory.

    -------------------------------

    Revision history:

    12/10/85 Initial version

    10/06/96 1.1 Added option to record frequency of CP/M BDOS calls.

    11/03/97 1.2 Implemented segment relocation fixups. Now DRC.CMD
    works.

    11/30/97 1.3 Implemented Wordstar key translation for IBM keyboard.
    Implemented CP/M-86 for IBM-PC screen escape sequences.
    Translates to ANSI. ANSI.SYS required.
    ....EOT...

  8. Re: || Need help with cpm86.exe

    from ".@.":

    On Feb 17, 1:06 am, s_dubrov...@yahoo.com wrote:

    > ...From CPM.DOC...
    >
    > Copyright (c) 1985-1997 Jim Lopushinsky
    > email: jim...@ix.netcom.com
    > This is my original documentation:
    > Dec 10, 1985
    > Jim Lopushinsky

    For anyone interested, who like me did not know what programs this
    thread referred to or where to find them:

    CPM86.EXE is a CP/M 86 emulator which runs under MS-DOS (and now a
    Windows DOS "box"). The package of the emulator, docs, and other files
    I eventually found on:

    http://www.cpm.z80.de/binary.html

    on Gaby's CP/M site, under the section: "applications" (!??) as the
    ZIP file

    http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/cpmemu.zip

    with the description:

    EMULATORS for CP/M-80 and CP/M-86 : 39K This package contains a CP/
    M-86 emulator which will run on MS-DOS/PC-DOS or CP/M-86. It also
    contains a Z80 emulator that will run on CP/M-86.

    It was not obvious to find, until I did a few searches AND this
    discussion thread gave more clues about the software and (finally) the
    document file. Maybe the participants can confirm this ZIP file
    contains the code in question and the docs desired. And, maybe they
    can send their findings for Win XP, etc. to Gaby to update that
    archive.

    Herb Johnson

    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    web site
    domain mirror a>

  9. Re: || Need help with cpm86.exe

    On Feb 17, 2:31 pm, "Herb Johnson" wrote:
    > from ".@.":
    >
    > > > I am wondering if anyone knows how to set the options mentioned in the
    > > > code of the emulator. I haven't been able to devise any command line
    > > > text which is accepted. Perhaps they are changed by patching the program
    > > > code itself? If anyone knows how it is done please inform us.

    > On Feb 17, 1:06 am, s_dubrov...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > ...From CPM.DOC...

    > > Copyright (c) 1985-1997 Jim Lopushinsky
    > > email: jim...@ix.netcom.com
    > > This is my original documentation:
    > > Dec 10, 1985
    > > Jim Lopushinsky

    > For anyone interested, who like me did not know what programs this
    > thread referred to or where to find them:
    >
    > CPM86.EXE is a CP/M 86 emulator which runs under MS-DOS (and now a
    > Windows DOS "box"). The package of the emulator, docs, and other files
    > I eventually found on:

    http://www.cpm.z80.de/binary.html

    > on Gaby's CP/M site, under the section: "applications" (!??) as the
    > ZIP file
    >
    > http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/cpmemu.zip
    >
    > with the description:
    >
    > EMULATORS for CP/M-80 and CP/M-86 : 39K This package contains a CP/
    > M-86 emulator which will run on MS-DOS/PC-DOS or CP/M-86. It also
    > contains a Z80 emulator that will run on CP/M-86.
    >
    > It was not obvious to find, until I did a few searches AND this
    > discussion thread gave more clues about the software and (finally) the
    > document file. Maybe the participants can confirm this ZIP file
    > contains the code in question and the docs desired. And, maybe they
    > can send their findings for Win XP, etc. to Gaby to update that
    > archive.

    Yes, that is the software in question. I'm glad you found it, now I
    know where I had gotten it from. :-)

    Steve

    > Herb Johnson
    >
    > Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    > web site
    > domain mirror > a>
    > my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
    > if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
    > "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
    > S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

  10. Re: || Need help with cpm86.exe

    s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Feb 17, 2:31 pm, "Herb Johnson" wrote:
    >
    >>from ".@.":

    >>On Feb 17, 1:06 am, s_dubrov...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>...From CPM.DOC...

    >>>Copyright (c) 1985-1997 Jim Lopushinsky
    >>>email: jim...@ix.netcom.com
    >>>This is my original documentation:
    >>>Dec 10, 1985
    >>>Jim Lopushinsky

    >>For anyone interested, who like me did not know what programs this
    >>thread referred to or where to find them:
    >>
    >>CPM86.EXE is a CP/M 86 emulator which runs under MS-DOS (and now a
    >>Windows DOS "box"). The package of the emulator, docs, and other files
    >>I eventually found on:
    >>
    >>http://www.cpm.z80.de/binary.html
    >>
    >>on Gaby's CP/M site, under the section: "applications" (!??) as the
    >>ZIP file
    >>
    >>http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/cpmemu.zip
    >>
    >>with the description:
    >>
    >>EMULATORS for CP/M-80 and CP/M-86 : 39K This package contains a CP/
    >>M-86 emulator which will run on MS-DOS/PC-DOS or CP/M-86. It also
    >>contains a Z80 emulator that will run on CP/M-86.
    >>
    >>It was not obvious to find, until I did a few searches AND this
    >>discussion thread gave more clues about the software and (finally) the
    >>document file. Maybe the participants can confirm this ZIP file
    >>contains the code in question and the docs desired. And, maybe they
    >>can send their findings for Win XP, etc. to Gaby to update that
    >>archive.
    >>

    > Yes, that is the software in question. I'm glad you found it, now I
    > know where I had gotten it from. :-)
    >
    > Steve
    > and
    >
    >>Herb Johnson
    >>
    >>Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    >> web site
    >> domain mirror >>a>
    >>my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
    >>if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
    >>"Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
    >>S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

    Thank you, Steve and Herb, for clarifying where the original archive
    this emulator can be found. I found just the executable renamed
    cpm86.exe at
    http://www.gaby.de/cpm86.exe and never realized it's
    origin.

    I was able to find the original announcement of the posting of
    the cpmemu archive on comp.os.cpm.

    Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm
    From: timol...@cyberramp.net
    Date: 1998/04/15
    Subject: CP/M web site has new stuff

    There also seems to be another program by the name CPMEMU which
    is a Linux CP/M emulator.

    The documentation file mentions that the emulator uses ANSI.SYS
    support for some CP/M-86 programs. This may present a problem
    for those who try to run such program in a Windows XP command
    window since WinXP doesn't seem to have ANSI.SYS support by
    default. I was looking into getting some of the enhanced ANSI
    emulators to run. I will try to find my notes on them and see
    how to get ANSI to work.

    Jeff

    e-mail: jwsusenet@mail$chem$sunysb$edu
    hint: Substitute . for $