This is a discussion on |||| Help needed - CPM-86 boot image ---<inside - CP/M ; Can anyone assist me in finding a valid CPM-86 boot disk image for my sim? I've played with P. Schorn's great wrapper of the superb SimH Altairz80, and am delighted (Thanks profoundly, Mr. Schorn). Now I'm wanting to experiment with ...

  1. |||| Help needed - CPM-86 boot image ---<inside

    Can anyone assist me in finding a valid CPM-86 boot disk image for my sim?
    I've played with P. Schorn's great wrapper of the superb SimH Altairz80, and am
    delighted (Thanks profoundly, Mr. Schorn). Now I'm wanting to experiment
    with an 086 version of CPM.

    I'm using flavors of QEMU ("Q" and "iEmulator" on Mac, also QEMU on Linux).
    This is supposed to be a pure 086 emu. I cannot find a bootable CPM-86 disk.
    There are several purportely floating around on archive/retroarchive sites, but
    there are many, many copies of a German Win95 startup disk out there that are
    billed as a "CPM-86 boot disk".

    Could someone point me to a true CPM-86 boot image? Or perhaps suggest an EMU
    (for Windows, Linux or OS X) that will support one?

    Thanks much for help. I can be reached at

    qui[insert the magic symbol here]gbw.us

    Regards,
    M.Gong

  2. Re: |||| Help needed - CPM-86 boot image ---<inside

    On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 07:17:23 -0600, M.Gong
    wrote:

    > Can anyone assist me in finding a valid CPM-86 boot disk image for my
    > sim? I've played with P. Schorn's great wrapper of the superb SimH
    > Altairz80, and am delighted (Thanks profoundly, Mr. Schorn). Now I'm
    > wanting to experiment with an 086 version of CPM.
    >
    > I'm using flavors of QEMU ("Q" and "iEmulator" on Mac, also QEMU on
    > Linux). This is supposed to be a pure 086 emu. I cannot find a
    > bootable CPM-86 disk. There are several purportely floating around on
    > archive/retroarchive sites, but there are many, many copies of a
    > German Win95 startup disk out there that are billed as a "CPM-86 boot
    > disk".

    I haven't downloaded and tested yet, but you should find a genuine
    CPM-86 boot disk here:

    http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/arch...al/binary.html

    --
    I'm encased in the lining of a pure pork sausage!!

  3. Re: |||| Help needed - CPM-86 boot image ---<inside

    On 2007-02-10 13:21:58 -0600, Bill Marcum said:

    > On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 07:17:23 -0600, M.Gong
    > wrote:
    >>

    >> Can anyone assist me in finding a valid CPM-86 boot disk image for my
    >> sim? I've played with P. Schorn's great wrapper of the superb SimH
    >> Altairz80, and am delighted (Thanks profoundly, Mr. Schorn). Now I'm
    >> wanting to experiment with an 086 version of CPM.
    >>
    >> I'm using flavors of QEMU ("Q" and "iEmulator" on Mac, also QEMU on
    >> Linux). This is supposed to be a pure 086 emu. I cannot find a
    >> bootable CPM-86 disk. There are several purportely floating around on
    >> archive/retroarchive sites, but there are many, many copies of a
    >> German Win95 startup disk out there that are billed as a "CPM-86 boot
    >> disk".
    >>

    > I haven't downloaded and tested yet, but you should find a genuine
    > CPM-86 boot disk here:
    >
    > http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/arch...al/binary.html

    Thanks, Bill.

    Got a good image of CM-86, exttracted to a floppy, and it actually boots my P4.
    Now, have to get this into emulator image somehow.

    Best, and thenks.

  4. Re: |||| Help needed - CPM-86 boot image ---<inside

    >> http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/arch...al/binary.html

    > Thanks, Bill.
    >
    > Got a good image of CM-86, exttracted to a floppy, and it actually boots

    Is anyone maintaining MD5 checksums for images that have been verified
    to work, or match original distribution disks?

  5. Re: |||| Help needed - CPM-86 boot image ---<inside

    On Feb 11, 12:38 pm, Al _Kossow wrote:
    > >>http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/arch...al/binary.html

    > > Thanks, Bill.

    > > Got a good image of CM-86, exttracted to a floppy, and it actually boots

    > Is anyone maintaining MD5 checksums for images that have been verified
    > to work, or match original distribution disks?
    >
    > --

    I don't think such an effort is being made, nor is it much
    worthwhile. If a user [such as even I in the past], pulls a cpm.sys
    file out of a distro to see if it will run, user beware! Those will
    only run on the hardware whose bios's they were written for.

    If someone searches this newsgroup for the subject 's/n' then they
    will find a discussion of a way to determine the traceability of what
    they've gotten, by embedded serial number.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread