Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70sor early 80's) - CP/M

This is a discussion on Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70sor early 80's) - CP/M ; Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70s or early 80's) Would anyone have this databook ? This would contain the programmers reference for the AMD9511 fpu chip. I have the datasheet already but not any programming info yet. I'm ...

  1. Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70sor early 80's)

    Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70s
    or early 80's)
    Would anyone have this databook ?
    This would contain the programmers reference for the AMD9511 fpu chip.
    I have the datasheet already but not any programming info yet.
    I'm working with this chip and like to get a copy for this.

    thanks,
    Dan

  2. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals databook(late'70s or early 80's)

    On Jun 21, 3:39*am, Dan Roganti wrote:
    > Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70s
    > or early 80's)
    > Would anyone have this databook ?
    > This would contain the programmers reference for the AMD9511 fpu chip.
    > I have the datasheet already but not any programming info yet.
    > I'm working with this chip and like to get a copy for this.
    >
    > thanks,
    > Dan

    Hi Dan,
    Is that the same chip used in the NorthStar FPU board?

    If so, there may be programming documentation in the NorthStar
    documentation archives.

    You might want to check Howard's archive or maybe Marcus's archive.

    I have one of the NS FPU boards and seem to recall it used an AMD chip
    for FP calculation but I do not recall the exact model.

    Thanks and good luck with your project! Have a nice day!

    Andrew Lynch

    PS, do you mind me asking why you are looking? Curious minds would
    like to know... :-)

  3. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70sor early 80's)

    Dan Roganti wrote:
    > Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70s
    > or early 80's)
    > Would anyone have this databook ?
    > This would contain the programmers reference for the AMD9511 fpu chip.
    > I have the datasheet already but not any programming info yet.
    > I'm working with this chip and like to get a copy for this.

    Hi Dan,
    Did you get any response on your search for the AMD9511 info?

    If not, I have the AM9500 Peripheral Products Interface Guide from 1980.
    It has about 26 pages of stuff on the AM9511A including stack stuff and
    instructions. I don't want to get rid of the book, but I can either
    photocopy and mail it or scan it and email it. My preference would be to
    photocopy it and snail mail it.

    Regards,
    BobH

  4. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals databook(late'70s or early 80's)

    Hi Andrew,

    On Jun 21, 10:37*am, lynchaj wrote:
    > > Hi Dan,

    > Is that the same chip used in the NorthStar FPU board?

    Nope, that board design is actually using discrete parts instead.

    > If so, there may be programming documentation in the NorthStar
    > documentation archives.
    >
    > You might want to check Howard's archive or maybe Marcus's archive.

    There is a manual on there, with the prom code included but no
    schematics. I've been wanting to review the schematic for this for
    such a long time but haven't found it. The manual shows there's an
    appendix C with schematics but apparently nobody scanned this.

    > I have one of the NS FPU boards and seem to recall it used an AMD chip
    > for FP calculation but I do not recall the exact model.

    I only know of the one by NS, which is a microprogammed controller,
    the FPB-A card. I was told about another one by Compupro, System
    Support 1, which used this chip. Acutally supports both 8231 and 9511,
    since they're pin compatible.

    > Thanks and good luck with your project! *Have a nice day!
    >
    > Andrew Lynch
    >
    > PS, do you mind me asking why you are looking? *Curious minds would
    > like to know... * :-)

    I'm using this for my VCF East exhibit next fall. I wanted to revive
    some old projects with the first home computers. I'm building a math
    card to demonstrate what was possible back then. The exhibit will be
    about the history of floating point hardware across mainframes to
    micros. I'm still planning on how to prepare a display of the
    hardware. I think I'll have my Imsai running with the math card while
    another Altair machine will run without it to show a comparison. I
    still have to think of a good demo program to run on the Imsai.

    Hey that reminds me, I wanted to ask more about CP/M in Rom. But I'll
    post it on your N8VEM group. At the moment, I was working on putting
    Basic in Rom for the Imsai and Altair

    =Dan

  5. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals databook(late'70s or early 80's)

    Hi Bob,

    On Jun 22, 7:56*pm, BobH
    wrote:

    > Hi Dan,
    > Did you get any response on your search for the AMD9511 info?
    >
    > If not, I have the AM9500 Peripheral Products Interface Guide from 1980.
    > It has about 26 pages of stuff on the AM9511A including stack stuff and
    > instructions. I don't want to get rid of the book, but I can either
    > photocopy and mail it or scan it and email it. My preference would be to
    > photocopy it and snail mail it.

    yes, I received replies already with help.
    I appreciate the support.

    thanks again,
    =Dan

  6. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals databook(late'70s or early 80's)

    Hello! Are you a newcomer? Could not find another message from
    "ragoo".

    > (...) I was told about another one by Compupro, System
    > Support 1, which used this chip. Acutally supports both 8231 and 9511,
    > since they're pin compatible.

    Haha! Interesting! Many years ago, the 26 June 2001, I published a
    message ("The 9511 math chip") where I explained that I had found a
    library of ADM-9511 routines in a Digital Research program, but did
    not know for which computer it had been done... (And I have a strong
    interest in this program.)

    > I'm using this for my VCF East exhibit next fall. I wanted to revive
    > some old projects with the first home computers. I'm building a math
    > card to demonstrate what was possible back then. The exhibit will be
    > about the history of floating point hardware across mainframes to
    > micros. I'm still planning on how to prepare a display of the
    > hardware. I think I'll have my Imsai running with the math card while
    > another Altair machine will run without it to show a comparison. I
    > still have to think of a good demo program to run on the Imsai.

    Ouch! Personally, I have written rermarks about Floating-Point
    software for years in the comp.os.cpm Newsgroup, and nobody ever
    replyed. So, I am afraid that not much person will be interested in
    such a technical subject.

    This said, it reminds me that there was a S-100 Bus card running the
    tokens of CBASIC 10 times faster than its INT files... And the first
    version of CBASIC was Floating-Point... So, do you have this
    historical S-100 Bus card? I don't have it in my collection.

    > Hey that reminds me, I wanted to ask more about CP/M in Rom. But I'll
    > post it on your N8VEM group. At the moment, I was working on putting
    > Basic in Rom for the Imsai and Altair

    I happen to have re-created the source code of "IMSAI 4K BASIC",
    "IMSAI 8K BASIC", "MITS 4K Altair BASIC", "MITS 8K Altair BASIC",
    "MITS BASIC Extended Version" and a few others that I don't want to
    talk about right now. Since I am a programmer, not an electronician, I
    did not disassemble the ROM version of MITS Altair BASIC, but I know
    that it existed (never heard about a ROM version of IMSAI BASIC, but
    IMSAI is very, very badly detailed on the Internet. Everybody is
    creating Web sites dealing with MITS, and almost never with IMSAI). If
    you can find a copy of the binary of the ROM version of MITS Altair
    BASIC, I could disassemble it for you. (Its name was "MITS Altair
    BASIC ROM Extended Version 4.1".)

    (The only version of CP/M in ROM ever released by Digital Research (to
    counter-act the Japanese invasion of MSX clones) was "Personal CP/M",
    whose "BDOS Version Number" was 2.8. The only microcomputer sold in
    Europe running "Personal CP/M" (at the time) was the Sharp MZ-2500.
    But it is such a rarity than even me I don't have one.) (It also had a
    "Visual CCP"!...)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  7. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70s or early 80's)

    > I happen to have re-created the source code of "IMSAI 4K BASIC",
    > "IMSAI 8K BASIC", "MITS 4K Altair BASIC", "MITS 8K Altair BASIC",
    > "MITS BASIC Extended Version" and a few others that I don't want to
    > talk about right now.

    Are these disassemblies available anywhere? I'd be interested in the
    Extended (non-disk) version.

    Tom Lake

  8. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70s or early 80's)

    "Tom Lake" wrote:

    > Are these disassemblies available anywhere? I'd be interested in the
    > Extended (non-disk) version.

    Where were you in vacation, Tom?

    My message of the 6th May (one month ago!) contained the URL of a 80%
    disassembly of "MITS Altair BASIC Rel. 3.2". It is about 25% of "Extended
    Version". This way, since you are back from vacation, you will have a nice
    programming project to fill the coming nights... You, lucky guy!

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  9. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70s or early 80's)

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 00:51:00 -0700 (PDT), Mr Emmanuel Roche, France wrote:

    > (The only version of CP/M in ROM ever released by Digital Research (to
    > counter-act the Japanese invasion of MSX clones) was "Personal CP/M",
    > whose "BDOS Version Number" was 2.8. The only microcomputer sold in
    > Europe running "Personal CP/M" (at the time) was the Sharp MZ-2500.
    > But it is such a rarity than even me I don't have one.) (It also had a
    > "Visual CCP"!...)

    PX-8 has cp/m in ROM.

  10. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70sor early 80's)

    ragooman@gmail.com wrote:
    > I only know of the one by NS, which is a microprogammed controller,
    > the FPB-A card. I was told about another one by Compupro, System
    > Support 1, which used this chip. Acutally supports both 8231 and 9511,
    > since they're pin compatible.

    Yes, the Compupro System Support 1 board had a socket for the 9511 and
    the Memtech APU board supported the 9511.

    Regards,
    BobH

  11. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70s or early 80's)

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:08:25 GMT, _
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 00:51:00 -0700 (PDT), Mr Emmanuel Roche, France wrote:
    >

    >> (The only version of CP/M in ROM ever released by Digital Research (to
    >> counter-act the Japanese invasion of MSX clones) was "Personal CP/M",
    >> whose "BDOS Version Number" was 2.8. The only microcomputer sold in
    >> Europe running "Personal CP/M" (at the time) was the Sharp MZ-2500.
    >> But it is such a rarity than even me I don't have one.) (It also had a
    >> "Visual CCP"!...)

    >PX-8 has cp/m in ROM.

    Runs from rom or loads from rom... there is a difference. Also the
    NEC8500. The PX8 runs V2.2b loaded from rom and executed in ram.

    I have three of them and the docs, took but a second to verify the
    version.

    Allison

  12. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70s or early 80's)

    "_" wrote:

    > PX-8 has cp/m in ROM.

    And how many floppy disk drives, " " ?

    Coward!

    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  13. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals databook(late'70s or early 80's)

    On Jun 23, 3:51 am, "Mr Emmanuel Roche, France"
    wrote:

    > > (...) I was told about another one by Compupro, System
    > > Support 1, which used this chip. Acutally supports both 8231 and 9511,
    > > since they're pin compatible.

    > Haha! Interesting! Many years ago, the 26 June 2001, I published a
    > message ("The 9511 math chip") where I explained that I had found a
    > library of ADM-9511 routines in a Digital Research program, but did
    > not know for which computer it had been done... (And I have a strong
    > interest in this program.)

    Mr. Roche "publishes" by mailing his texts into comp.os.cpm, where
    they are "available" in Usenet archives. He did this some years ago
    for some floating point files he recovered from Dr. Dobb's Journal and
    elsewhere. The author of one of those program sets, Charles
    Falconer, replied to those posts.

    I had archived those posts, responses, and related material some time
    ago, in a former archive of Mr. Roche's "publications" on my Web site.
    Currently, in part due to Dan's interest, I've combined that material
    with some AMD 9511 chip information i've had on my Web site, and
    created this Web page:

    http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/float.html

    It refers to some S-100 world uses of floating point, and that chip
    set from AMD and from Intel. If there are other S-100 floating point
    boards or use of those chips, contact me and I'll add notes to that
    Web page. I have copies or originals of data sheets for those chips,
    from which I offer copies at a modest price.

    > Ouch! Personally, I have written rermarks about Floating-Point
    > software for years in the comp.os.cpm Newsgroup, and nobody ever
    > replyed. So, I am afraid that not much person will be interested in
    > such a technical subject.

    The replies he got are on my Web page, and are in comp.os.cpm archives
    of the discussion. I've removed my general archive of Mr. Roche's
    materials, when I tired of the insults and discouragements contained
    in some of his posts. Dan, good luck on your project, and don't be
    discouraged by negative comments.

    Herb Johnson

    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

  14. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70s or early 80's)

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:40:46 +0200, "Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France"
    wrote:

    >"_" wrote:
    >
    >> PX-8 has cp/m in ROM.

    >And how many floppy disk drives, " " ?

    Ramdisk and ROMdisk!

    >Coward!

    There you go again.

    Allison

    >Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  15. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70s or early 80's)

    On 2008-06-25, no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:40:46 +0200, "Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"_" wrote:
    >>
    >>> PX-8 has cp/m in ROM.

    >>And how many floppy disk drives, " " ?

    > Ramdisk and ROMdisk!

    As well as microcassette and 3.5" floppy via serial port.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  16. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70s or early 80's)

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 01:35:26 GMT, Roger Ivie
    wrote:

    >On 2008-06-25, no.spam@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:40:46 +0200, "Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France"
    >> wrote:

    >>>And how many floppy disk drives, " " ?

    >> Ramdisk and ROMdisk!

    >As well as microcassette and 3.5" floppy via serial port.

    The serial and battery powered 3.5" floppy works pretty
    well too. When you add the 12oK ramdisk wedge and
    the wo romdisk (rom carts) it's a useful machine.

    Now If I can add a CF to it that would be a hack! I've been
    working on doing that for a while between those paying projects
    called work. There is nothing to prevent it but trying to figure a
    way to do it nicely (and internally) would work for me.

    The alternate would be SD flash. Simpler inerface more software.
    Anyone out there tried CP/M on SD flash?

    Allison

  17. Re: Looking for -->AMD Microprocessors and Peripherals data book(late'70s or early 80's)

    wrote:

    > >> Ramdisk and ROMdisk!

    > >As well as microcassette and 3.5" floppy via serial port.

    > The serial and battery powered 3.5" floppy works pretty
    > well too. When you add the 12oK ramdisk wedge and
    > the wo romdisk (rom carts) it's a useful machine.
    >
    > Now If I can add a CF to it that would be a hack! I've been
    > working on doing that for a while between those paying projects
    > called work. There is nothing to prevent it but trying to figure a
    > way to do it nicely (and internally) would work for me.
    >
    > The alternate would be SD flash. Simpler inerface more software.
    > Anyone out there tried CP/M on SD flash?
    >
    > Allison

    There was a guy here in .AU that managed to get an MMC card working on an
    eZ80F91.

    have a look at: http://www.vegeneering.com/eZ80_CPM/index.html

    Max

+ Reply to Thread