low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM - CP/M

This is a discussion on low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM - CP/M ; Hi, I still have some circuit boards available for anyone who wants to build their own copy of the Z80 CP/M home brew computer I designed. So far several PCBs have been shipped to people. I have a working system ...

  1. low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM

    Hi,

    I still have some circuit boards available for anyone who wants to
    build their own copy of the Z80 CP/M home brew computer I designed.
    So far several PCBs have been shipped to people. I have a working
    system and I know one other person has built theirs and it worked on
    the first try.

    The SBC is designed to be low cost and easy to build. It uses only
    commonly available parts and can be built with basic tools. If you'd
    like one of the boards so you can build your own, please see:

    http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem

    All I am offering is the PCB and a pre-programmed EPROM (only if you
    need it and it costs extra). You supply your own parts you either buy
    or salvage. Once you build it, here is a current description of the
    SBC:
    Z80 CPU 4MHz
    512K SRAM
    1M EPROM
    16C550 UART with connector
    82C55 PPI with connector
    DS1302 RTC with battery backup with small amount of NVRAM
    ECB buffers, logic, and connector
    Standard PC drive connector power supply interface, +5V only
    Reset key with external connector
    Power LED
    Boots to RAM based debug monitor
    CP/M 2.2 available at monitor prompt
    A: drive is 32K ROM (10K is system tracks)
    B: drive is 448K RAM (64K of 512K SRAM is dedicated system memory)
    F: drive is 992K ROM (32K is system track)

    Please see the N8VEM site for more details or contact me by email
    (please put N8VEM in subject).

    Thank you and have a nice day!

    Andrew Lynch

  2. Re: low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM

    Hello Andrew,

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:31:18 -0700 (PDT), lynchaj wrote:

    >The SBC is designed to be low cost and easy to build. It uses only
    >commonly available parts and can be built with basic tools. If you'd
    >like one of the boards so you can build your own, please see:
    >
    >http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem

    >Please see the N8VEM site for more details or contact me by email
    >(please put N8VEM in subject).

    Thanks for your Info.

    I sent and hope an Email to you that her arrive.

    Greeting
    Rolf

  3. Re: low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM

    On Jun 20, 1:36*pm, Rolf Harrmann
    wrote:
    > Hello Andrew,
    >
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:31:18 -0700 (PDT), lynchaj *wrote:
    > >The SBC is designed to be low cost and easy to build. *It uses only
    > >commonly available parts and can be built with basic tools. *If you'd
    > >like one of the boards so you can build your own, please see:

    > >http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem
    > >Please see the N8VEM site for more details or contact me by email
    > >(please put N8VEM in subject).

    > Thanks for your Info.
    >
    > I sent and hope an Email to you that her arrive.
    >
    > Greeting
    > Rolf

    Hi Rolf,

    I received your email and responded. You should be receiving it
    soon. Please let me know if not.

    By the way, the N8VEM SBC project is completely amateur. This is non-
    profit and non-commercial in any way.

    All hardware and software information is available online at the N8VEM
    Google Group website.

    The source code and binary image for the EPROM are available free (not
    the actual EPROM though, hardware costs). Software includes boot
    loader, RAM monitor, CP/M boot image, RTC application, XMODEM, various
    utilities, CP/M transient programs, a full screen editor, and BBC
    basic. The software is for demonstration purposes only.

    Owners are encouraged, even requested, to write their own software,
    operating system, utilities, documentation, etc. If someone likes
    FORTH or whatever, please add it. Part of the fun is to get your
    hands dirty and make things!

    I have tried to model the project after "open source/free" principles
    to the extent they apply. Owners are encouraged to customize your
    hardware, software, and even design their own peripherals. I request
    owners contribute back to the project but that is at their discretion.

    Thank you! Have a nice day!

    Andrew Lynch

  4. Re: low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM

    Hello Andrew,

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:44:11 -0700 (PDT), lynchaj wrote:

    >All hardware and software information is available online at the N8VEM
    >Google Group website.

    One Site of my private Homepage.

    http://www.hd64180-ecb.de/html/n8vem.html

    Photos when I have build the N8VEM single board
    computer.

    Rolf

  5. Re: low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM

    lynchaj wrote:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem

    I've just spent 40 minutes trying to get into this.
    I can't find any schematics, I can't find any software,
    I've tried to comment on discussions which leaves
    me stuck in an infinite loop of "you must sign in",
    "you must join this group", "you must sign in",
    "you must join this group"....

    This is exactly the sort of behavoir that causes people
    to chuck their PCs out of the window, or at the very
    least just not bother with the site. The absolute last
    thing you must do if you are actually wanting people
    to read your site is **NOT** punch them in the face
    and shout **** OFF!!@!!@!!!! to them.

    This is something I want to read, I'll give you one
    chance to fix it, but I'm afraid if you don't I'm just
    not going to bother.

    --
    JGH

  6. Re: low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM

    On Jun 25, 5:10 pm, jgharston wrote:
    > lynchaj wrote:
    > >http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem

    > I've just spent 40 minutes trying to get into this.
    > I can't find any schematics, I can't find any software,
    > I've tried to comment on discussions which leaves
    > me stuck in an infinite loop of "you must sign in",
    > "you must join this group", "you must sign in",
    > "you must join this group"....

    The group settings say anyone can view group content and anyone can
    join ... the sign in would be the general sign in to google groups,
    which is one of those normal "give an email address, click on the link
    when the email arrives" procedures that the spam artists make
    necessary.

    The files page is:

    http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem/files

  7. Re: low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM

    On Jun 25, 5:10*pm, jgharston wrote:
    > lynchaj wrote:
    > >http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem

    > I've just spent 40 minutes trying to get into this.
    > I can't find any schematics, I can't find any software,
    > I've tried to comment on discussions which leaves
    > me stuck in an infinite loop of "you must sign in",
    > "you must join this group", "you must sign in",
    > "you must join this group"....
    >
    > This is exactly the sort of behavoir that causes people
    > to chuck their PCs out of the window, or at the very
    > least just not bother with the site. The absolute last
    > thing you must do if you are actually wanting people
    > to read your site is **NOT** punch them in the face
    > and shout **** OFF!!@!!@!!!! to them.
    >
    > This is something I want to read, I'll give you one
    > chance to fix it, but I'm afraid if you don't I'm just
    > not going to bother.
    >
    > --
    > JGH

    Hi, Sorry you are having such difficulties. I was unaware Google
    Groups caused anyone such problems.

    You may need to set your browsers "cookies" setting so that Google
    Groups can recognize you.

    Do you have a Google account? https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageAccount

    Is anyone else having problems joining Google Groups?

    Thanks!

    Andrew Lynch

  8. Re: low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM

    On Jun 25, 8:11*pm, lynchaj wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 5:10*pm, jgharston wrote:
    >

    > > lynchaj wrote:
    > > >http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem

    > > I've just spent 40 minutes trying to get into this.
    > > I can't find any schematics, I can't find any software,
    > > I've tried to comment on discussions which leaves
    > > me stuck in an infinite loop of "you must sign in",
    > > "you must join this group", "you must sign in",
    > > "you must join this group"....

    > > This is exactly the sort of behavoir that causes people
    > > to chuck their PCs out of the window, or at the very
    > > least just not bother with the site. The absolute last
    > > thing you must do if you are actually wanting people
    > > to read your site is **NOT** punch them in the face
    > > and shout **** OFF!!@!!@!!!! to them.

    > > This is something I want to read, I'll give you one
    > > chance to fix it, but I'm afraid if you don't I'm just
    > > not going to bother.

    > > --
    > > JGH

    > Hi, Sorry you are having such difficulties. *I was unaware Google
    > Groups caused anyone such problems.
    >
    > You may need to set your browsers "cookies" setting so that Google
    > Groups can recognize you.
    >
    > Do you have a Google account? *https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageAccount
    >
    > Is anyone else having problems joining Google Groups?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Andrew Lynch- Hide quoted text -

    If your Google account is working, try to see if your Google Groups
    settings are correct.

    http://groups.google.com/groups/mysubs?hl=en

    Thanks and good luck!

    Andrew Lynch

  9. Re: low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM

    lynchaj writes:

    >Hi, Sorry you are having such difficulties. I was unaware Google
    >Groups caused anyone such problems.

    It is a question of 'principles'.

    >You may need to set your browsers "cookies" setting so that Google
    >Groups can recognize you.

    >Do you have a Google account?
    > https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageAccount

    WHY should I have any "google-account" if I can read this newsgroup
    without any 'accounting' besides the local logon to my machine?

    But I have another question:

    You state that you use a " ECB Backplane ". Your PDF at
    http://n8vem.googlegroups.com/web/Printing BackPlane-brd.pdf
    shows a rather complicated board which does not look like the
    ECB-plane that I was used to use. I do not see the daisy-chain
    of IEI to IEO from Cxx of one to Cyy of the next connector?

    But I know that there was more than one layout; as the text in
    http://www.hartmann-elektronik.de/en...ard/ecbbus_3u/
    mentions that too.

    >Is anyone else having problems joining Google Groups?

    I do not find any search-possibility into your pages; especially
    on a listing of all signals on the DIN-Connector. You seem to use
    user row B which is odd for a real ECB-plane. I suspect that it
    is noct possible to use my old other ECB-Cards? I do mostly think
    on a controller-card for my (8-inch) Floppy-drives...

    >Andrew Lynch

    greetings, Holger (dg3lp)

  10. Re: low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM

    Hello Andrew,

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:44:11 -0700 (PDT), lynchaj wrote:

    >All hardware and software information is available online at the N8VEM
    >Google Group website.

    the first Picture of my N8VEM Single Board.

    http://www.hd64180-ecb.de/html/n8vem.html

    Rolf

  11. Re: low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM

    On Jul 9, 7:19*am, Rolf Harrmann
    wrote:
    > Hello Andrew,
    >
    > On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:44:11 -0700 (PDT), lynchaj *wrote:
    > >All hardware and software information is available online at the N8VEM
    > >Google Group website.

    > the first Picture of my N8VEM Single Board.
    >
    > http://www.hd64180-ecb.de/html/n8vem.html
    >
    > Rolf

    Congratulations Rolf on your N8VEM SBC build! Excellent job!

    I hope it gives you lots of enjoyment and is a source of pride!

    It looks great! Well done!

    Thanks and have a nice day!

    Andrew Lynch

  12. Re: low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM

    On Jun 26, 10:05*am, Holger Petersen wrote:
    > lynchaj writes:
    > >Hi, Sorry you are having such difficulties. *I was unaware Google
    > >Groups caused anyone such problems.

    > It is a question of 'principles'.
    >
    > >You may need to set your browsers "cookies" setting so that Google
    > >Groups can recognize you.
    > >Do you have a Google account?
    > > *https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageAccount

    > WHY should I have any "google-account" if I can read this newsgroup
    > without any 'accounting' besides the local logon to my machine?
    >
    > But I have another question:
    >
    > You state that you use a " ECB Backplane ". Your PDF at
    > *http://n8vem.googlegroups.com/web/Pr...kPlane-brd.pdf
    > shows a rather complicated board which does not look like the
    > ECB-plane that I was used to use. I do not see the daisy-chain
    > of IEI to IEO from Cxx of one to Cyy of the next connector?
    >
    > But I know that there was more than one layout; as the text in
    > *http://www.hartmann-elektronik.de/en...ard/ecbbus_3u/
    > mentions that too.
    >
    > >Is anyone else having problems joining Google Groups?

    > I do not find any search-possibility into your pages; especially
    > on a listing of all signals on the DIN-Connector. You seem to use
    > user row B which is odd for a real ECB-plane. I suspect that it
    > is noct possible to use my old other ECB-Cards? I do mostly think
    > on a controller-card for my (8-inch) Floppy-drives...
    >
    > >Andrew Lynch

    > greetings, Holger (dg3lp)

    Hi,

    I am still working on an ECB backplane for the N8VEM Z80 CP/M SBC home
    brew computer.

    Several people have successfully built the SBC from the PCBs
    already.

    However, I think soon people will want to expand their SBCs with the
    ECB backplane.

    I have gotten some help from some generous and friendly persons. As a
    result, I have redesigned the backplane to make it much better.

    If anyone would like to take a look please see the N8VEM FILES
    section:

    http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem/files?&sort=rdate

    The backplane schematic and PCB layout are the two most recently
    uploaded PDF files.

    I have more ideas for peripherals but making the ECB backplane has to
    be first since it is the foundation.

    My goal is to make the ECB backplane as general and common as possible
    to accomodate other ECB hobbyists not just N8VEM SBC builders.

    If you have any comments or suggestions on how I can improve the
    backplane or make it more general, please let me know. I look forward
    to hearing from you.

    Thanks and have a nice day!

    Andrew Lynch

    http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem/files?&sort=rdate

  13. Re: low cost Z80 CP/M home brew PCB available N8VEM

    On Jul 24, 7:54*pm, lynchaj wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 10:05*am, Holger Petersen wrote:
    >

    > > lynchaj writes:
    > > >Hi, Sorry you are having such difficulties. *I was unaware Google
    > > >Groups caused anyone such problems.

    > > It is a question of 'principles'.

    > > >You may need to set your browsers "cookies" setting so that Google
    > > >Groups can recognize you.
    > > >Do you have a Google account?
    > > > *https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageAccount

    > > WHY should I have any "google-account" if I can read this newsgroup
    > > without any 'accounting' besides the local logon to my machine?

    > > But I have another question:

    > > You state that you use a " ECB Backplane ". Your PDF at
    > > *http://n8vem.googlegroups.com/web/Pr...kPlane-brd.pdf
    > > shows a rather complicated board which does not look like the
    > > ECB-plane that I was used to use. I do not see the daisy-chain
    > > of IEI to IEO from Cxx of one to Cyy of the next connector?

    > > But I know that there was more than one layout; as the text in
    > > *http://www.hartmann-elektronik.de/en...ard/ecbbus_3u/
    > > mentions that too.

    > > >Is anyone else having problems joining Google Groups?

    > > I do not find any search-possibility into your pages; especially
    > > on a listing of all signals on the DIN-Connector. You seem to use
    > > user row B which is odd for a real ECB-plane. I suspect that it
    > > is noct possible to use my old other ECB-Cards? I do mostly think
    > > on a controller-card for my (8-inch) Floppy-drives...

    > > >Andrew Lynch

    > > greetings, Holger (dg3lp)

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am still working on an ECB backplane for the N8VEM Z80 CP/M SBC home
    > brew computer.
    >
    > Several people have successfully built the SBC from the PCBs
    > already.
    >
    > However, I think soon people will want to expand their SBCs with the
    > ECB backplane.
    >
    > I have gotten some help from some generous and friendly persons. *As a
    > result, I have redesigned the backplane to make it much better.
    >
    > If anyone would like to take a look please see the N8VEM FILES
    > section:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem/files?&sort=rdate
    >
    > The backplane schematic and PCB layout are the two most recently
    > uploaded PDF files.
    >
    > I have more ideas for peripherals but making the ECB backplane has to
    > be first since it is the foundation.
    >
    > My goal is to make the ECB backplane as general and common as possible
    > to accomodate other ECB hobbyists not just N8VEM SBC builders.
    >
    > If you have any comments or suggestions on how I can improve the
    > backplane or make it more general, please let me know. I look forward
    > to hearing from you.
    >
    > Thanks and have a nice day!
    >
    > Andrew Lynch
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem/files?&sort=rdate- Hide quoted text -

    Hi!

    I just received the second batch of the N8VEM SBC PCBs.

    They are available to anyone who wants to build their own Z80 CP/M
    home brew computer.

    The PCBs for the N8VEM ECB backplane will be available soon as well.

    As before the PCBs are $20 plus shipping. Please contact me offline
    or see the N8VEM for more details.

    Thanks!

    Andrew Lynch

    http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem