Kaypro II Won't Boot - CP/M

This is a discussion on Kaypro II Won't Boot - CP/M ; I recently picked up an old Kaypro II, but can't seem to get it to boot. I have a number of original Kaypro II CP/M boot disks from when we had a Kaypro II in the 80s, but when I ...

  1. Kaypro II Won't Boot

    I recently picked up an old Kaypro II, but can't seem to get it to boot. I
    have a number of original Kaypro II CP/M boot disks from when we had a
    Kaypro II in the 80s, but when I put one in the A drive, the computer
    doesn't seem to "see" it.

    When I turn it on, the power and A drive lights come on, and the screen says
    to put disk in drive A, but it just doesn't appear to see the disk. I've
    tried a number of bootable disks, but I get the same results with all of
    them.

    Before I rip it apart and start randomly trying things, does anyone have an
    idea what problem most likely would be the cause of these symptoms, and any
    recommended solutions to try?

    Thanks.

    -Jason

  2. Re: Kaypro II Won't Boot

    Jason Harmon wrote:
    > I recently picked up an old Kaypro II, but can't seem to get it to boot. I
    > have a number of original Kaypro II CP/M boot disks from when we had a
    > Kaypro II in the 80s, but when I put one in the A drive, the computer
    > doesn't seem to "see" it.
    >
    > When I turn it on, the power and A drive lights come on, and the screen says
    > to put disk in drive A, but it just doesn't appear to see the disk. I've
    > tried a number of bootable disks, but I get the same results with all of
    > them.

    Does the drive spin? (iirc) Closing the door should cause
    it to spin up.
    Are the heads dirty? If it's been sitting for a long time,
    oxide may have built up on the heads.

    > Before I rip it apart and start randomly trying things, does anyone have an
    > idea what problem most likely would be the cause of these symptoms, and any
    > recommended solutions to try?

  3. Re: Kaypro II Won't Boot

    Thanks for the info.

    The drives are spinning, but when I put the boot disk in it doesn't seem to
    recognize the disk is there. I don't hear the head moving on the drive. I
    am thinking of trying to clean the heads, and possibly swap the A and B
    drives to see if the other one works.

    -Jason

    "Kevin Handy" wrote in message
    > Jason Harmon wrote:
    >> I recently picked up an old Kaypro II, but can't seem to get it to boot.
    >> I have a number of original Kaypro II CP/M boot disks from when we had a
    >> Kaypro II in the 80s, but when I put one in the A drive, the computer
    >> doesn't seem to "see" it.
    >>
    >> When I turn it on, the power and A drive lights come on, and the screen
    >> says to put disk in drive A, but it just doesn't appear to see the disk.
    >> I've tried a number of bootable disks, but I get the same results with
    >> all of them.

    > Does the drive spin? (iirc) Closing the door should cause
    > it to spin up.
    > Are the heads dirty? If it's been sitting for a long time,
    > oxide may have built up on the heads.
    >
    >> Before I rip it apart and start randomly trying things, does anyone have
    >> an idea what problem most likely would be the cause of these symptoms,
    >> and any recommended solutions to try?

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----

  4. Re: Kaypro II Won't Boot

    >"Kevin Handy" wrote in message
    >> Jason Harmon wrote:
    >>> I recently picked up an old Kaypro II, but can't seem to get it to boot.
    >>> I have a number of original Kaypro II CP/M boot disks from when we had a
    >>> Kaypro II in the 80s, but when I put one in the A drive, the computer
    >>> doesn't seem to "see" it.
    >>>
    >>> When I turn it on, the power and A drive lights come on, and the screen
    >>> says to put disk in drive A, but it just doesn't appear to see the disk.
    >>> I've tried a number of bootable disks, but I get the same results with
    >>> all of them.

    >> Does the drive spin? (iirc) Closing the door should cause
    >> it to spin up.
    >> Are the heads dirty? If it's been sitting for a long time,
    >> oxide may have built up on the heads.
    >>
    >>> Before I rip it apart and start randomly trying things, does anyone have
    >>> an idea what problem most likely would be the cause of these symptoms,
    >>> and any recommended solutions to try?

    On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 13:31:44 -0500, "Jason Harmon"
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the info.
    >
    >The drives are spinning, but when I put the boot disk in it doesn't seem to
    >recognize the disk is there. I don't hear the head moving on the drive. I
    >am thinking of trying to clean the heads, and possibly swap the A and B
    >drives to see if the other one works.
    >
    >-Jason

    If you swap the drives make sure you also swap the drive
    address header (or set the dip switch if used) as Kaypros do
    not do the twisted cable PC thing.

    Allison

  5. Re: Kaypro II Won't Boot

    Thanks for the advice. I tried cleaning the heads, which had no effect.
    Next I tried swapping the address header, and the light came on on the B
    drive at boot, but only the A drive spun.

    My guess is I've got some bad drives. I had one other idea to verify this.
    I have some 1/2 height Tandon SSDD drives used by Atari 1050 drive units
    that I know are good. Does anyone know if I can simply replace the full
    height mechanisms with these and have it work correctly?

    Thanks.

    -Jason

    > If you swap the drives make sure you also swap the drive
    > address header (or set the dip switch if used) as Kaypros do
    > not do the twisted cable PC thing.
    >
    > Allison

  6. Re: Kaypro II Won't Boot

    > My guess is I've got some bad drives. I had one other idea to verify
    > this. I have some 1/2 height Tandon SSDD drives used by Atari 1050 drive
    > units that I know are good. Does anyone know if I can simply replace the
    > full height mechanisms with these and have it work correctly?

    The timing is slightly different but it might not matter in a Kaypro. Don't
    forget
    to move the terminating resistor pack to the new drive B, though!

    Tom Lake

+ Reply to Thread