Handyman for Kaypro - CP/M

This is a discussion on Handyman for Kaypro - CP/M ; Recently acquired a machine with this board in it. I THINK I know what it is, but does anyone have any instructions on it's use? Or can explain things in a posting? I acquired a K10/'83 with the Handyman, AND ...

  1. Handyman for Kaypro

    Recently acquired a machine with this board in it.
    I THINK I know what it is, but does anyone have any instructions on it's
    use? Or can explain things in a posting?

    I acquired a K10/'83 with the Handyman, AND an Advent 1MB RAMDisk. Thing
    also had some little teeny board sitting in the clock chip socket, with the
    clock chip on it, with a pigtail off of it soldered to a leg of a nearby IC
    - any ideas what THIS is? It is also an Advent board, about 1" square, says
    "0648A1 Assy Rev A" about 5 resistors, a transistor, a diode, a cap, and
    the socket for the RTC IC (MM58167A)

    Acquired another K10, which was actually an '84 Kaypro 10 MTC - yup - RTC
    and Modem onboard, and it is *NOT* a K4/84 hack, as that is a little
    different. Never even SEEN one of these before! Popped in a TurboROM, will
    be sourcing a replacement battery tomorrow (old one removed, no damage),
    and replaced the drive with an ST251 with CP/M 2.2H+TurboBIOS loaded, plus
    Kaypro factory software.

    Bugger should hum along REEEEALLY nice!

    Tony

    sharkonwheels -@t- g|\/|ail.com

  2. Re: Handyman for Kaypro

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 05:07:46 GMT, Tony
    wrote:

    >I THINK I know what it is, but does anyone have any instructions on it's
    >use? Or can explain things in a posting?

    Handyman was a daughterboard that implemented a number of popup
    utilities, just like the MS-DOS machines didwithTSR programs. It's
    been a loong time, but IIRC there was a calculator, a notepad, maybe a
    calendar. There is probably an obscure set of keystrokes to trigger
    it.

    I wish I could remember more about it.

    Dav Vandenbroucke
    davanden at cox dot net