bondwell 14 system disks and/or code for reading keyboard? - CP/M

This is a discussion on bondwell 14 system disks and/or code for reading keyboard? - CP/M ; Hi, Does anyone have a downloadable copy of the system disks for a bondwell 14? Failing that, does anyone have any code for reading the keyboard on a bondwell 14? I have a bondwell 14 that I got off ebay ...

  1. bondwell 14 system disks and/or code for reading keyboard?

    Hi,

    Does anyone have a downloadable copy of the system disks for a
    bondwell 14?

    Failing that, does anyone have any code for reading the keyboard on a
    bondwell 14?

    I have a bondwell 14 that I got off ebay ages ago and have never done
    anything with (partly due to lack of boot disks) and I'd like to have
    a go at turning it in to a dumb terminal by replacing the boot rom.

    I've done a disassembly of the existing boot rom, and that plus the
    info and schematics at http://www.eld.leidenuniv.nl/~moene/...12/schematics/
    has given me the info I think I need for accessing the RS232 port and
    outputting to video, but not sure how to access the keyboard.

    The boot rom only appears to check a flag to see if a key has been
    pressed, it doesn't look at the value of the keypress. And from the
    look of the schematics, it seems getting the ASCII value of a key
    that's been pressed will be 'non trivial', i.e. the keyboard encoder
    part # is for a device that sends keyboard matrix locations scan codes
    not ASCII values, and the data is coming in via a parallell load shift
    register. So reading the keyboard would mean:
    - manually clocking in and reading the scan code, 1 bit at a time,
    - tracking shift/caps lock/ctrl status
    - converting scan code + shift/ctrl status into ASCII

    Which is probably doable, but a bit painful, so I'd rather take some
    routines from somewhere else (even if I need to disassemble to get
    it).

    Regards

    Jonno

  2. Re: bondwell 14 system disks and/or code for reading keyboard?

    "jonnosan" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone have a downloadable copy of the system disks for a
    > bondwell 14?
    >
    > Failing that, does anyone have any code for reading the keyboard on a
    > bondwell 14?
    >
    > I have a bondwell 14 that I got off ebay ages ago and have never done
    > anything with (partly due to lack of boot disks) and I'd like to have
    > a go at turning it in to a dumb terminal by replacing the boot rom.
    >
    > I've done a disassembly of the existing boot rom, and that plus the
    > info and schematics at

    http://www.eld.leidenuniv.nl/~moene/...12/schematics/
    > has given me the info I think I need for accessing the RS232 port and
    > outputting to video, but not sure how to access the keyboard.
    >
    > The boot rom only appears to check a flag to see if a key has been
    > pressed, it doesn't look at the value of the keypress. And from the
    > look of the schematics, it seems getting the ASCII value of a key
    > that's been pressed will be 'non trivial', i.e. the keyboard encoder
    > part # is for a device that sends keyboard matrix locations scan codes
    > not ASCII values, and the data is coming in via a parallell load shift
    > register. So reading the keyboard would mean:
    > - manually clocking in and reading the scan code, 1 bit at a time,
    > - tracking shift/caps lock/ctrl status
    > - converting scan code + shift/ctrl status into ASCII
    >
    > Which is probably doable, but a bit painful, so I'd rather take some
    > routines from somewhere else (even if I need to disassemble to get
    > it).
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Jonno

    http://retroarchive.org/hardware/bondwell/index.html

  3. Re: bondwell 14 system disks and/or code for reading keyboard?

    > http://retroarchive.org/hardware/bondwell/index.html

    Ed

    Unfortunately the files aren't there - if you click on the filename
    you get a 404 error :-(

+ Reply to Thread