SIMH Altair simulator question - CP/M

This is a discussion on SIMH Altair simulator question - CP/M ; I posted this as a follow-up to a prior thread, but probably it is less likely to be noticed than if I start a new thread. I have the Altair simulator running on Linux, and it appears to work really ...

  1. SIMH Altair simulator question

    I posted this as a follow-up to a prior thread, but probably it is
    less likely to be noticed than if I start a new thread.

    I have the Altair simulator running on Linux, and it appears to work
    really well. What I can't figure out is how to get binary files, such
    as .COM or .LBR or .ARC into the system from the outside. I realize if
    I have a complete disk image I can just attach it to a disk unit
    within the simulator, but what if I have only individual files that
    were dowloaded via FTP?

    It seems that these must be loaded into a CP/M compatible disk image
    in some way before they can be used, but I can't find anything in the
    FAQ or documentation describing this process or another means of
    achieving the same end.

    I found some utility programs that seem capable of creating CP/M disk
    images, but they are all designed for Windows systems rather than
    Linux or FreeBSD.

    Any suggestions or pointers to suitable instructions would be most
    welcome.

    --Gary

  2. Re: SIMH Altair simulator question

    >I have the Altair simulator running on Linux, and it appears to work
    >really well. What I can't figure out is how to get binary files, such
    >as .COM or .LBR or .ARC into the system from the outside. I realize if
    >I have a complete disk image I can just attach it to a disk unit
    >within the simulator, but what if I have only individual files that
    >were dowloaded via FTP?

    There is a package called "cpmtools" which provides access to
    files in CP/M disk images - and iirc it works under linux.

    If your simulator supports serial ports, you can use a comms program
    to transfer files into it.

    If you can mount text files on the virtual reader, you could get text files
    in with PIP, and binaries that fit in memory by encoding in Intel format
    on the PC, then PIPing to file, LOAD to create a binary in memory,
    and SAVE to save the binary.

    Dave

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield

  3. Re: SIMH Altair simulator question

    Gary Phillips wrote:
    > I have the Altair simulator running on Linux, and it appears to work
    > really well. What I can't figure out is how to get binary files, such
    > as .COM or .LBR or .ARC into the system from the outside. I realize if
    > I have a complete disk image I can just attach it to a disk unit
    > within the simulator, but what if I have only individual files that
    > were dowloaded via FTP?

    I think what you're looking for are the R and W commands- you should
    find them in cpm2.dsk.

    David

  4. Re: SIMH Altair simulator question

    On Jun 4, 3:36*pm, David Graham Knoll wrote:
    > Gary Phillips wrote:
    > > I have the Altair simulator running on Linux, and it appears to work
    > > really well. What I can't figure out is how to get binary files, such
    > > as .COM or .LBR or .ARC into the system from the outside. I realize if
    > > I have a complete disk image I can just attach it to a disk unit
    > > within the simulator, but what if I have only individual files that
    > > were dowloaded via FTP?

    > I think what you're looking for are the R and W commands- you should
    > find them in cpm2.dsk.
    >
    > David

    The R and W programs are the easiest method, but you can also do the
    following:

    Boot CP/M
    press ctrl-e to get to the sim> prompt
    load filename.com 100
    go
    then back at the A>
    save nn filename.com

    Where nn is the number of "pages" loaded

  5. Re: SIMH Altair simulator question

    > I have the Altair simulator running on Linux, and it appears to work
    > really well. What I can't figure out is how to get binary files, such
    > as .COM or .LBR or .ARC into the system from the outside. I realize if
    > I have a complete disk image I can just attach it to a disk unit
    > within the simulator, but what if I have only individual files that
    > were dowloaded via FTP?

    Your other note mentioned conversion to Intel hex. You might want to
    look at Peter Miller's SRecord (srecord.sourceforge.net).

    De

  6. Re: SIMH Altair simulator question

    On Jun 4, 9:28 pm, Howard Harte wrote:

    > The R and W programs are the easiest method, but you can also do the
    > following:
    >
    > Boot CP/M
    > press ctrl-e to get to the sim> prompt
    > load filename.com 100
    > go
    > then back at the A>
    > save nn filename.com
    >
    > Where nn is the number of "pages" loaded

    I will look for R and W, which I hadn't noticed in the documentation,
    but now that they've been pointed out I see they really are there.
    Those should do the job for me. I have lots of CP/M software, but they
    are individual file images.

    I did try the load and save method you describe, but without any
    success.

    "load filename.com 100" gets an error message "Invalid argument"
    "load filename.com" runs but crashes the simulator so that it locks up
    when you try to return to it.

    I suppose I should explain for the benefit of the curious what I'm up
    to. I have a NEC Starlet (PC-1401A-LS) notebook computer from back in
    the 80s. I used to use it a lot for writing away from home. That's a
    machine with a CMOS Z80 clone, CP/M 2.2 in ROM, and no disk drives,
    just RAMand ROM banks and cartridges. You can get files in and out
    through the serial port or built-in modem port. It's not very
    practical for development due to limited file storage and screen size.
    I want to put some custom applications on it, but I thought I could
    more easily develop them by using the SIMH Altair as a development
    environment.

    Thinking "I already know CP/M" which is pretty much true, I skipped
    sections in the documentation that seemed to be merely the lists of
    files and utilities. Consequently, I missed the presence of some of
    the utilities like R and W that are what I need to get set up.

    Thanks to everyone who responded. You've been most helpful.

    --Gary

  7. Re: SIMH Altair simulator question

    David Graham Knoll wrote:
    > Gary Phillips wrote:
    >> I have the Altair simulator running on Linux, and it appears to work
    >> really well. What I can't figure out is how to get binary files, such
    >> as .COM or .LBR or .ARC into the system from the outside. I realize
    >> if I have a complete disk image I can just attach it to a disk unit
    >> within the simulator, but what if I have only individual files that
    >> were dowloaded via FTP?

    > I think what you're looking for are the R and W commands- you should
    > find them in cpm2.dsk.
    >
    > David

    Talking about READ and WRITE commands, I noticed a problem *may be a bug*.
    The latest version support wildcards and path in filenames.
    In order to import some files (retrieved from internet, I put them in a
    directory called "vde" in the working directory) on a disk image (mounted as
    C, I used that command in my emulated CP/M 2.2 system :

    -------------------------
    64K CP/M Version 2.2 (SIMH ALTAIR 8800, BIOS V1.25, 2 HD, 15-Jan-07)

    A>r vde\c:*.COM

    READ V-2.23 (01-Mar-08) SIMH Interface V003
    Read from "vde.com" and write to "C:VDE.COM".
    File does not exist.
    Read from "vdez.com" and write to "C:VDEZ.COM".
    File does not exist.
    Read from "vinst.com" and write to "C:VINST.COM".
    File does not exist.
    -------------------------

    I seems that the program can list files, but when it tries to open them for
    copying, it can't find them.
    I tried the L option, so it's not a problem with lower or uppercase
    filenames. I tried to rename the files, but it didn't work.
    I can always copy files individualy, one at the time, but wildcards are very
    usefull to copy lot of files, all at the same time.

    Wrote some days ago an e-mail to Peter Schorn at the address found on his
    website, but I think it's spammed...

    Any Idea why READ.COM doesn't work with wildcards?

    --
    Emmanuel Da Piedade
    http://retrocomputing.free.fr

  8. Re: SIMH Altair simulator question

    On Jun 9, 2:34 pm, "Emmanuel Da Piedade" DOT com> wrote:
    > David Graham Knoll wrote:
    > > Gary Phillips wrote:
    > >> I have the Altair simulator running on Linux, and it appears to work
    > >> really well. What I can't figure out is how to get binary files, such
    > >> as .COM or .LBR or .ARC into the system from the outside. I realize
    > >> if I have a complete disk image I can just attach it to a disk unit
    > >> within the simulator, but what if I have only individual files that
    > >> were dowloaded via FTP?

    > > I think what you're looking for are the R and W commands- you should
    > > find them in cpm2.dsk.

    > > David

    > Talking about READ and WRITE commands, I noticed a problem *may be a bug*.
    > The latest version support wildcards and path in filenames.
    > In order to import some files (retrieved from internet, I put them in a
    > directory called "vde" in the working directory) on a disk image (mounted as
    > C, I used that command in my emulated CP/M 2.2 system :
    >
    > -------------------------
    > 64K CP/M Version 2.2 (SIMH ALTAIR 8800, BIOS V1.25, 2 HD, 15-Jan-07)
    >
    > A>r vde\c:*.COM
    >
    > READ V-2.23 (01-Mar-08) SIMH Interface V003
    > Read from "vde.com" and write to "C:VDE.COM".
    > File does not exist.
    > Read from "vdez.com" and write to "C:VDEZ.COM".
    > File does not exist.
    > Read from "vinst.com" and write to "C:VINST.COM".
    > File does not exist.
    > -------------------------
    >
    > I seems that the program can list files, but when it tries to open them for
    > copying, it can't find them.
    > I tried the L option, so it's not a problem with lower or uppercase
    > filenames. I tried to rename the files, but it didn't work.
    > I can always copy files individualy, one at the time, but wildcards are very
    > usefull to copy lot of files, all at the same time.
    >
    > Wrote some days ago an e-mail to Peter Schorn at the address found on his
    > website, but I think it's spammed...
    >
    > Any Idea why READ.COM doesn't work with wildcards?
    >
    > --
    > Emmanuel Da Piedadehttp://retrocomputing.free.frhttp://apple2c.free.fr

    Try

    r c:\vde\*.COM

  9. Re: SIMH Altair simulator question

    Lee wrote:

    >> I seems that the program can list files, but when it tries to open
    >> them for copying, it can't find them.
    >> I tried the L option, so it's not a problem with lower or uppercase
    >> filenames. I tried to rename the files, but it didn't work.
    >> I can always copy files individualy, one at the time, but wildcards
    >> are very usefull to copy lot of files, all at the same time.
    >>
    >> Wrote some days ago an e-mail to Peter Schorn at the address found
    >> on his website, but I think it's spammed...
    >>
    >> Any Idea why READ.COM doesn't work with wildcards?

    > Try
    >
    > r c:\vde\*.COM

    I moved my files to C:\VDE, and tried that command line, but didn't work :

    -------------------
    A>R C:\VDE\*.COM

    READ V-2.23 (01-Mar-08) SIMH Interface V003
    Read from "VDE.COM" and write to "VDE.COM".
    File does not exist.
    Read from "VINST.COM" and write to "VINST.COM".
    File does not exist.
    -------------------

    .... because R doesn't know the destination drive.
    Here is the correct syntax for command R :

    -------------------

    READ V-2.23 (01-Mar-08) SIMH Interface V003
    Usage: READ [L]
    Binary copy from host environment. L = use lower case for name.

    Examples
    READ bdos.mac copy BDOS.MAC to BDOS.MAC
    READ bdos.mac L copy bdos.mac to BDOS.MAC
    READ *.mac copy all files ending with .MAC
    READ a:bdos.mac copy BDOS.MAC to A:
    READ a:*.com copy all .COM files to A:
    READ src\bdos.mac copy SRC\BDOS.MAC to BDOS.MAC
    READ src\a:bdos.mac copy SRC\BDOS.MAC to BDOS.MAC on A:
    READ src\*.mac copy all .MAC files from directory SRC
    READ src\*.MAC L copy all .mac files from directory src
    READ src\a:test.* copy all TEST.* files from directory SRC to A:
    -------------------

    For the R and W commands, the source root directory is the working directory
    of the SimH Altairz80 emulator.
    You can only access files with relative pathnames.
    Example :
    Altairz80 Working directory : D:\simh\altairz80
    Files to copy : D:\FILES\*.COM
    CP/M Destination Drive (virtual disk) : B:

    The correct command syntax must be :
    (I admit this syntax is quite confusing)
    -------------------
    A>R ..\..\FILES\B:*.COM

    READ V-2.23 (01-Mar-08) SIMH Interface V003
    Read from "VDE.COM" and write to "B:VDE.COM".
    File does not exist.
    Read from "VINST.COM" and write to "B:VINST.COM".
    File does not exist.
    -------------------

    R can list files ( because it prints filenames) but can't open them.

    I made a lot of testing, I can copy files using pathnames NOR wildcards.
    But using pathnames AND wildcards doesn't work.
    Maybe is this a windows only problem. I did not try the Linux version.

    --
    Emmanuel Da Piedade
    http://retrocomputing.free.fr
    http://apple2c.free.fr

  10. Re: SIMH Altair simulator question

    Emmanuel Da Piedade wrote:

    > Talking about READ and WRITE commands, I noticed a problem *may be a
    > bug*. The latest version support wildcards and path in filenames.
    > In order to import some files (retrieved from internet, I put them in
    > a directory called "vde" in the working directory) on a disk image
    > (mounted as C, I used that command in my emulated CP/M 2.2 system :

    [Snip]
    > I seems that the program can list files, but when it tries to open
    > them for copying, it can't find them.
    > I tried the L option, so it's not a problem with lower or uppercase
    > filenames. I tried to rename the files, but it didn't work.
    > I can always copy files individualy, one at the time, but wildcards
    > are very usefull to copy lot of files, all at the same time.
    >
    > Wrote some days ago an e-mail to Peter Schorn at the address found on
    > his website, but I think it's spammed...
    >
    > Any Idea why READ.COM doesn't work with wildcards?

    I just received an email from Peter Schorn.
    He says that this is a bug related to the wildcard pseudo function under
    Windows.
    It will be fixed in the next release of the Altairz80 emulator.

    --
    Emmanuel Da Piedade
    http://retrocomputing.free.fr
    http://apple2c.free.fr