CP/M Emulator with COM1: console? - CP/M

This is a discussion on CP/M Emulator with COM1: console? - CP/M ; Is there any Windows or MS-DOS-based CP/M emulator out there that can use a physical COM port on the PC as its console? I looked but didn't see any. TIA Tom Lake...

  1. CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    Is there any Windows or MS-DOS-based CP/M emulator out there
    that can use a physical COM port on the PC as its console?

    I looked but didn't see any.

    TIA

    Tom Lake

  2. Re: CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    >Is there any Windows or MS-DOS-based CP/M emulator out there
    >that can use a physical COM port on the PC as its console?

    My NorthStar Horizon simulator (DOS) allows you to map I/O ports to
    various types of PC devices, and it works fine with the console on a
    serial port. The default console is the PC keyboard/video, however I
    include an example SERIAL.CMD option file that sets up the devices
    with the console on COM1.

    It can boot CP/M

    Dave

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield

  3. Re: CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 17:49:42 GMT,
    Dave.Dunfield@use.techsupport.link.on.my.website (Dave Dunfield)
    wrote:

    >>Is there any Windows or MS-DOS-based CP/M emulator out there
    >>that can use a physical COM port on the PC as its console?

    >My NorthStar Horizon simulator (DOS) allows you to map I/O ports to
    >various types of PC devices, and it works fine with the console on a
    >serial port. The default console is the PC keyboard/video, however I
    >include an example SERIAL.CMD option file that sets up the devices
    >with the console on COM1.
    >
    >It can boot CP/M
    >
    >Dave

    I use it frequently and it work very well.

    Allison

  4. Re: CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    "Dave Dunfield" wrote in
    message news:g2407v$193$1@aioe.org...
    >>Is there any Windows or MS-DOS-based CP/M emulator out there
    >>that can use a physical COM port on the PC as its console?

    > My NorthStar Horizon simulator (DOS) allows you to map I/O ports to
    > various types of PC devices, and it works fine with the console on a
    > serial port. The default console is the PC keyboard/video, however I
    > include an example SERIAL.CMD option file that sets up the devices
    > with the console on COM1.
    >
    > It can boot CP/M

    Thanks! Right now I'm trying 22nice with a converted MBASIC.COM
    file that seems to work well but I'll be looking at your program shortly.

    Do the disk images include a BASIC?

    Tom Lake

  5. Re: CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:44:07 -0400, "Tom Lake"
    wrote:

    >"Dave Dunfield" wrote in
    >message news:g2407v$193$1@aioe.org...
    >>>Is there any Windows or MS-DOS-based CP/M emulator out there
    >>>that can use a physical COM port on the PC as its console?

    >> My NorthStar Horizon simulator (DOS) allows you to map I/O ports to
    >> various types of PC devices, and it works fine with the console on a
    >> serial port. The default console is the PC keyboard/video, however I
    >> include an example SERIAL.CMD option file that sets up the devices
    >> with the console on COM1.
    >>
    >> It can boot CP/M

    >Thanks! Right now I'm trying 22nice with a converted MBASIC.COM
    >file that seems to work well but I'll be looking at your program shortly.

    22nice is better from running those programs you depended on or like
    in a dos envronment. Dave's NorthStar Horizon simulator is far
    closer to a vrtual machine and gives a comple z80/NS* environment that
    hooks to the surrounding machine for services.

    There are other programs out there that can do similar things, MyZ80
    and SIMH are two that come to mind I have and use.

    Allison

    >Do the disk images include a BASIC?
    >
    >Tom Lake

  6. Re: CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    Hello Tom,

    Tom Lake wrote:
    > Is there any Windows or MS-DOS-based CP/M emulator out there
    > that can use a physical COM port on the PC as its console?

    I'am develop at this time on my Z80 Emulator called "Yet Another
    Z80 Emulator by AG (YAZE-AG)".
    I have it not yet tried to connect the CRT's of CP/M 3 to a
    serial port. I will do that in the next days.

    Regards
    Andreas Gerlich
    --
    Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Gerlich
    (University of Ulm, Germany)

  7. Re: CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    Andreas Gerlich wrote:
    > Hello Tom,

    > Tom Lake wrote:
    > > Is there any Windows or MS-DOS-based CP/M emulator out there
    > > that can use a physical COM port on the PC as its console?

    > I'am develop at this time on my Z80 Emulator called "Yet Another
    > Z80 Emulator by AG (YAZE-AG)".
    > I have it not yet tried to connect the CRT's of CP/M 3 to a
    > serial port. I will do that in the next days.

    My new version of my Emulator can now connect the AUX Port of CP/M 3
    to a serial line of Linux or Windows.

    Regards
    Andreas Gerlich
    --
    Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Gerlich
    (University of Ulm, Germany)
    project (Z80 emulator) --> http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/users/ag/yaze-ag/
    Mitspielen strengstens erlaubt!

  8. Re: CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    "Andreas Gerlich" wrote in message news:48486f23@news.uni-ulm.de...
    > Andreas Gerlich wrote:
    >> Hello Tom,

    >> Tom Lake wrote:
    >> > Is there any Windows or MS-DOS-based CP/M emulator out there
    >> > that can use a physical COM port on the PC as its console?

    >> I'am develop at this time on my Z80 Emulator called "Yet Another
    >> Z80 Emulator by AG (YAZE-AG)".
    >> I have it not yet tried to connect the CRT's of CP/M 3 to a
    >> serial port. I will do that in the next days.

    > My new version of my Emulator can now connect the AUX Port of CP/M 3
    > to a serial line of Linux or Windows.

    Can AUX be used as the main console port? My aim is to run the emulator
    totally from the ASR-33.

    Tom Lake

  9. Re: CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    Tom Lake schrieb:

    > "Andreas Gerlich" wrote in message
    >> Andreas Gerlich wrote:

    >>> can use a physical COM port on the PC as its console?

    >>> I'am develop at this time on my Z80 Emulator called "Yet Another
    >>> Z80 Emulator by AG (YAZE-AG)".
    >>> I have it not yet tried to connect the CRT's of CP/M 3 to a serial
    >>> port. I will do that in the next days.

    >> My new version of my Emulator can now connect the AUX Port of CP/M 3
    >> to a serial line of Linux or Windows.

    > Can AUX be used as the main console port? My aim is to run the emulator
    > totally from the ASR-33.
    >
    > Tom Lake

    To run any CP/M from a teletype when using an emulator running under
    UNIX you have 2 options:

    1. Enable the serial port for login, connect the ASR-33 and login to the
    UNIX shell. Then just run the emulator and boot any CP/M.

    2. Disable login for this serial port and run the emulator with stdio,
    stdout and stderr redirected to the serial port.

    The later also might work under Windows with an emulator build with Cygwin.

    Udo Munk

  10. Re: CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    Tom Lake wrote:

    > "Andreas Gerlich" wrote in message news:48486f23@news.uni-ulm.de...
    > > Andreas Gerlich wrote:

    > >> I'am develop at this time on my Z80 Emulator called "Yet Another
    > >> Z80 Emulator by AG (YAZE-AG)".
    > >> I have it not yet tried to connect the CRT's of CP/M 3 to a
    > >> serial port. I will do that in the next days.

    > > My new version of my Emulator can now connect the AUX Port of CP/M 3
    > > to a serial line of Linux or Windows.

    > Can AUX be used as the main console port? My aim is to run the emulator
    > totally from the ASR-33.

    NO, I see I have to do somthing more to realize that my emulator connects
    the console to serial line. I have tried with the attach command of
    the monitor of YAZE-AG, but I'm not successful. I have to do the same
    thinks like for the aux port.

    I'am working at the final release 2.20 (serial lines (AUX and a
    bug fix of a severe error when you mount Unix-Directories to a CP/M drive).

    Regards
    Andreas Gerlich
    --
    Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Gerlich
    University of Ulm, Germany

    project (Z80 emulator) --> http://yaze-ag.de/
    redirect to --> http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/users/ag/yaze-ag/

    Mitspielen strengstens erlaubt!

  11. Re: CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    On 7 Jun 2008 14:55:37 +0100, Andreas Gerlich wrote:

    >Tom Lake wrote:

    >> > My new version of my Emulator can now connect the AUX Port of CP/M 3
    >> > to a serial line of Linux or Windows.

    >> Can AUX be used as the main console port? My aim is to run the emulator
    >> totally from the ASR-33.

    >NO, I see I have to do somthing more to realize that my emulator connects
    >the console to serial line. I have tried with the attach command of
    >the monitor of YAZE-AG, but I'm not successful. I have to do the same
    >thinks like for the aux port.
    >
    >I'am working at the final release 2.20 (serial lines (AUX and a
    >bug fix of a severe error when you mount Unix-Directories to a CP/M drive).
    >
    >Regards
    >Andreas Gerlich

    It's a two level problem.

    First from inside the BIOS the AUX device has to be the default at
    boot or the IO goes to the default (CPM bios defined) console.
    That means the IObyte and AUX: device have to be functional
    and that is bios dependent.

    The second level is the sim/emulator has to have the ability
    to go from the cpm deficned ports to the system (PC side) ports.
    Since programming PCs is not my favored sport I defer to others
    in the realm.

    Using Dave Dunfield's horizon I can map known (under NS* CP/N bios)
    IO such as printer to parallel port, and the two serial ports to the
    PC serial ports. Same for MyZ80.

    Also to actually use a TTY (as in ASR33 or 35) witha PC you will
    need a rs232 to current loop converter.

    Allison

  12. Re: CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    > Using Dave Dunfield's horizon I can map known (under NS* CP/N bios)
    > IO such as printer to parallel port, and the two serial ports to the
    > PC serial ports. Same for MyZ80.
    >
    > Also to actually use a TTY (as in ASR33 or 35) witha PC you will
    > need a rs232 to current loop converter.

    Thanks for the response. I do have the converter and it works fine
    with DOS' CTTY command. I'm using 22Nice to run MBASIC
    (BASIC-80) on it now. I didn't know MyZ80 allowed using
    the PC's serial ports. Do you know if it can use one as the console?

    Tom Lake

  13. Re: CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 13:23:50 -0400, "Tom Lake"
    wrote:

    >> Using Dave Dunfield's horizon I can map known (under NS* CP/N bios)
    >> IO such as printer to parallel port, and the two serial ports to the
    >> PC serial ports. Same for MyZ80.
    >>
    >> Also to actually use a TTY (as in ASR33 or 35) witha PC you will
    >> need a rs232 to current loop converter.

    >Thanks for the response. I do have the converter and it works fine
    >with DOS' CTTY command. I'm using 22Nice to run MBASIC
    >(BASIC-80) on it now. I didn't know MyZ80 allowed using
    >the PC's serial ports. Do you know if it can use one as the console?
    >
    >Tom Lake

    Never tried. Seemed counterintutive to me to run MyZ80 on a PC and
    need to hook up a terminal to use it. I see no reason that it cannot
    but never uesed it what way.

    One note: from the PC emulated console terminal you have access to a
    debugger and other resources that CP/M on a serial port terminal
    would not provide.

    I'd suggesting finding a copy of MyZ80 and installing it for yourself.

    Dave Dunfield's Horizon (NS*) emulator can connect the ports
    to the PC parts as I have done that to test things that needed
    external interfaces and would later run on real NS* hardware.

    Allison

  14. Re: CP/M Emulator with COM1: console?

    Tom Lake wrote:
    > Is there any Windows or MS-DOS-based CP/M emulator out there
    > that can use a physical COM port on the PC as its console?
    >
    > I looked but didn't see any.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Tom Lake

    Hi,

    I use SimH Altairz80 (great piece of software, best cp/m emulator imho) for
    windows wich allow you to connect a telnet session as console.
    As I wanted to use an old good VT100 serial terminal, I redirected the
    telnet session to serial port COM1 with software like this one:
    http://www.taltech.com/products/tcpcom.html

    Works fine !

    --
    Emmanuel Da Piedade