LSH source code, SB-180 disk data recovery - CP/M

This is a discussion on LSH source code, SB-180 disk data recovery - CP/M ; Kim Sparre and I have been working on a variety of things recently. One of our projects is scanning / OCRing the Turbo Pascal 2.0 Reference Manual. More on this in a week or so when I have something that's ...

  1. LSH source code, SB-180 disk data recovery

    Kim Sparre and I have been working on a variety of things recently.
    One of our projects is scanning / OCRing the Turbo Pascal 2.0
    Reference Manual. More on this in a week or so when I have something
    that's worth posting.

    Kim expressed an interest in getting the source code to Rob Friefeld's
    LSH (Log SHell). This Z-System utility's source was released by the
    author around 1992. I am pretty sure I had it at some point, but even
    if I did, it must have been on floppies which are long gone. I have
    been in touch w/ Rob and he has told me he would be happy to send me
    the code but his SB-180 (on whose hard disk it sits) won't start up.
    He will be trying to revive it. If he is unsuccessful, he will be
    looking into a disk data recovery service.

    Kim is interested in making some changes to LSH. Disassembly is an
    option but my feeling is this would be EXTREMELY difficult to do.

    So, here are my questions:

    Does anyone here have the source code or know where it might be found?

    Does anyone here have any suggestions for Rob how he can get LSH off
    his SB-180's hard disk?

  2. Re: LSH source code, SB-180 disk data recovery

    >the code but his SB-180 (on whose hard disk it sits) won't start up.
    >He will be trying to revive it. If he is unsuccessful, he will be
    >looking into a disk data recovery service.

    If it's a Seagate drive, it's probably suffering "stictation"
    where the heads stick to the platter surface.
    There are various D-I-Y solutions to that.

  3. Re: LSH source code, SB-180 disk data recovery

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 06:25:29 -0700 (PDT), Lee
    wrote:

    >Kim Sparre and I have been working on a variety of things recently.
    >One of our projects is scanning / OCRing the Turbo Pascal 2.0
    >Reference Manual. More on this in a week or so when I have something
    >that's worth posting.
    >
    >Kim expressed an interest in getting the source code to Rob Friefeld's
    >LSH (Log SHell). This Z-System utility's source was released by the
    >author around 1992. I am pretty sure I had it at some point, but even
    >if I did, it must have been on floppies which are long gone. I have
    >been in touch w/ Rob and he has told me he would be happy to send me
    >the code but his SB-180 (on whose hard disk it sits) won't start up.
    >He will be trying to revive it. If he is unsuccessful, he will be
    >looking into a disk data recovery service.
    >
    >Kim is interested in making some changes to LSH. Disassembly is an
    >option but my feeling is this would be EXTREMELY difficult to do.
    >
    >So, here are my questions:
    >
    >Does anyone here have the source code or know where it might be found?
    >
    >Does anyone here have any suggestions for Rob how he can get LSH off
    >his SB-180's hard disk?

    If it isn't stiction (head stuck to media and fixable) the typical
    SB180 is a SCSI adaptor to a SCSI bridge board (jumpered for
    256bytes/sector) and an MFM drive. That combination can be
    unreadable in a PC as the bytes/sector there is commonly 512.

    A disk data recovery service can do it at a cost (may be expensive).
    Repairing the SB180 system is the lowest cost option or someone nearby
    with a SB180 and scsi adaptor can try. The reason for nearby is the
    MFM bridge board and the drive may be needed to do the extraction.

    Allison

  4. Re: LSH source code, SB-180 disk data recovery

    >>I have
    >>been in touch w/Rob and he has told me he would be happy to send me
    >>the code but his SB-180 (on whose hard disk it sits) won't start up.

    Please elaborate on how it "won't start up"
    because I have a similar system (SB180 with hard drive)
    but I can't resusitate a dead drive if that's the problem.

    -- Jeffrey Jonas
    j f j p n x c m
    e f @ a i . o

  5. Re: LSH source code, SB-180 disk data recovery

    On 3 Jun 2008 20:04:55 -0400, jeffj@panix.com (Jeff Jonas) wrote:

    >>>I have
    >>>been in touch w/Rob and he has told me he would be happy to send me
    >>>the code but his SB-180 (on whose hard disk it sits) won't start up.

    >Please elaborate on how it "won't start up"
    >because I have a similar system (SB180 with hard drive)
    >but I can't resusitate a dead drive if that's the problem.

    Many of the older disks had some kind of lubricated surface that the
    head lands on and low torque motors and litterally the head sicks to
    the platter.

    The usual solution varies with drive. if older ST506/ST412 it's
    possible to find and spin the flywheel with a finger or tool as it's
    external. For drives that are fully internal I found removing the
    drive and giving it a sharp twist along the platters rotational axis
    can break it loose. Doing either with the power applied helps
    as once moving it's likely to keep spinning. Use care like no
    metal or magnetic tools (shorts!) and don't drop it.

    Allison
    >-- Jeffrey Jonas
    >j f j p n x c m
    > e f @ a i . o

  6. Re: LSH source code, SB-180 disk data recovery

    > Many of the older disks had some kind of lubricated surface that the
    > head lands on and low torque motors and litterally the head sicks to
    > the platter.

    > The usual solution varies with drive. if older ST506/ST412 it's
    > possible to find and spin the flywheel with a finger or tool as it's
    > external. For drives that are fully internal I found removing the
    > drive and giving it a sharp twist along the platters rotational axis
    > can break it loose. Doing either with the power applied helps
    > as once moving it's likely to keep spinning. Use care like no
    > metal or magnetic tools (shorts!) and don't drop it.

    The fix (well, workaround) for stiction that I always used to hear
    described was to give the end of the drive a sharp rap with the handle
    of a screwdriver. Dunno if this is really kosher or not.

    De

  7. Re: LSH source code, SB-180 disk data recovery

    On Jun 2, 9:25 am, Lee wrote:

    > Kim Sparre and I have been working on a variety of things recently.
    > One of our projects is scanning / OCRing the Turbo Pascal 2.0
    > Reference Manual. More on this in a week or so when I have something
    > that's worth posting.
    >
    > Kim expressed an interest in getting the source code to Rob Friefeld's
    > LSH (Log SHell). This Z-System utility's source was released by the
    > author around 1992. I am pretty sure I had it at some point, but even
    > if I did, it must have been on floppies which are long gone. I have
    > been in touch w/ Rob and he has told me he would be happy to send me
    > the code but his SB-180 (on whose hard disk it sits) won't start up.
    > He will be trying to revive it. If he is unsuccessful, he will be
    > looking into a disk data recovery service.
    >
    > Kim is interested in making some changes to LSH. Disassembly is an
    > option but my feeling is this would be EXTREMELY difficult to do.
    >
    > So, here are my questions:
    >
    > Does anyone here have the source code or know where it might be found?
    >
    > Does anyone here have any suggestions for Rob how he can get LSH off
    > his SB-180's hard disk?

    This is just an update on this matter. Thank you all for replying to
    this issue. I emailed Rob Friefeld telling him all your ideas. I got a
    private email from another person who offered to try and data mine his
    hard disc. Several of you were looking for more detail on the exact
    nature of the problem and Rob got back to me yesterday with the
    following ...

    "FYI, the SB-180 uses a SCSI bus. The hard disk ( 5MB Seagate) is
    partitioned into 4 drives, but it only has data: the machine doesn't
    boot from it. The start up problem isn't because of the hard disk.
    When I turn the machine on, I don't even get monitor mode, so it is
    worse than a bad boot floppy. The power supply might have failed. If
    the EPROM is dead, then restarting the SB-180 is no doubt hopeless.
    I'll have time to work on this next weekend, and I'll keep you
    posted."

    He may take the fellow who offered to data mine his disc up on it or
    he may use another service if he can't figure it out himself. In any
    case, I'll continue to post stuff here when I learn more.

    Thanks again,

    Lee

  8. Re: LSH source code, SB-180 disk data recovery

    On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 09:19:16 -0700 (PDT), Lee
    wrote:

    >On Jun 2, 9:25 am, Lee wrote:
    >
    >> Kim Sparre and I have been working on a variety of things recently.
    >> One of our projects is scanning / OCRing the Turbo Pascal 2.0
    >> Reference Manual. More on this in a week or so when I have something
    >> that's worth posting.
    >>
    >> Kim expressed an interest in getting the source code to Rob Friefeld's
    >> LSH (Log SHell). This Z-System utility's source was released by the
    >> author around 1992. I am pretty sure I had it at some point, but even
    >> if I did, it must have been on floppies which are long gone. I have
    >> been in touch w/ Rob and he has told me he would be happy to send me
    >> the code but his SB-180 (on whose hard disk it sits) won't start up.
    >> He will be trying to revive it. If he is unsuccessful, he will be
    >> looking into a disk data recovery service.
    >>
    >> Kim is interested in making some changes to LSH. Disassembly is an
    >> option but my feeling is this would be EXTREMELY difficult to do.
    >>
    >> So, here are my questions:
    >>
    >> Does anyone here have the source code or know where it might be found?
    >>
    >> Does anyone here have any suggestions for Rob how he can get LSH off
    >> his SB-180's hard disk?

    >This is just an update on this matter. Thank you all for replying to
    >this issue. I emailed Rob Friefeld telling him all your ideas. I got a
    >private email from another person who offered to try and data mine his
    >hard disc. Several of you were looking for more detail on the exact
    >nature of the problem and Rob got back to me yesterday with the
    >following ...
    >
    >"FYI, the SB-180 uses a SCSI bus. The hard disk ( 5MB Seagate) is
    >partitioned into 4 drives, but it only has data: the machine doesn't
    >boot from it. The start up problem isn't because of the hard disk.

    Correct most are configured start from monitor by booting a floppy
    and from there the hard disk is accessable.

    >When I turn the machine on, I don't even get monitor mode, so it is
    >worse than a bad boot floppy. The power supply might have failed. If
    >the EPROM is dead, then restarting the SB-180 is no doubt hopeless.
    >I'll have time to work on this next weekend, and I'll keep you
    >posted."

    I can see a dead PS as it should annouce itself on power up . Since
    the SB180s were available both kit and assembled soldering may also be
    suspect.

    I'd bet the Eprom is ok but the socket(s) can be very suspect so
    reseating all; the socketed parts may be an aid.

    It takes a modest powersupply to run the basic board as the drive is
    the power suck. the board only needs +5V at about .6A or less
    and the + and - 12V are only a few mA for the RS232. the drive
    however has it's own needs and it sounds like a St506 was used.

    Oh, there are two serial ports, are you using the right one? Just a
    check.

    >He may take the fellow who offered to data mine his disc up on it or
    >he may use another service if he can't figure it out himself. In any
    >case, I'll continue to post stuff here when I learn more.

    So happens I have a SB180 with the SCSI adaptor. I haven't powered it
    in a year but I'd be surprized if it doesn't boot.

    The SB180 was a great little board and there are really few parts on
    it considering it had up to 32K rom and 256K of ram to keep
    the HD64180 CPU busy the rest was a SMC9266 (765 with data sep on
    chip) and some random logic for decode, parallel prtinter and
    expansion connector to the scsi board that is ncr5380 based.

    Allison

    >Thanks again,
    >
    >Lee

  9. Re: LSH source code, SB-180 disk data recovery

    Lee wrote:

    >Kim Sparre and I have been working on a variety of things recently.
    >One of our projects is scanning / OCRing the Turbo Pascal 2.0
    >Reference Manual. More on this in a week or so when I have something
    >that's worth posting.

    That would be very welcome!

  10. Re: LSH source code, SB-180 disk data recovery

    On Jun 9, 3:14 am, HansO wrote:

    > Lee wrote:
    > >Kim Sparre and I have been working on a variety of things recently.
    > >One of our projects is scanning / OCRing the Turbo Pascal 2.0
    > >Reference Manual. More on this in a week or so when I have something
    > >that's worth posting.

    > That would be very welcome!

    Ok, Hans. I've checked w/ my friend Kim and, w/ a few provisos, he
    thinks posting the URL to our development page is fine.

    http://primepuzzle.com/tp2/

    His email to me this morning goes like this ... I paraphrase ...

    " ... it's still a work in progress and not yet fully proof-read, [but
    I see] no harm in pointing them in the right direction."

    " ... [be sure to] to explain our "philosophy" (pure ASCII, errata
    remaining in place, etc.) and request for folks to send you 'bug
    reports' instead of editing the files and submitting their results."

    With that said, I hope you and others enjoy what we've got so far. As
    anyone who's done any scanning / OCR work knows, this is a very labor-
    intensive exercise. Kim does not have the Turbo Pascal 2 manual, I do.
    But he has the luxury of being able to look at the .pdf of the Turbo
    Pascal 3 manual (which is on http://retroarchive.org) so he has been
    proof-reading what I provide (in editable text form) by comparing it
    to the TP 3 manual. And he's *real good* at it.

    Another point. It has been EXTREMELY useful to work with someone else
    on this project, for a variety of reasons. One, we keep each other
    honest. Two, we've wandered off to semi-related and sometimes totally
    unrelated topics during the project, which makes it fun. Three, we
    have been developing a laundry list of future projects.

    In other words, it's fun to have a kindred spirit when you are trying
    to get something done.

    - Lee

+ Reply to Thread