Kaypro 10 tpi 96 - CP/M

This is a discussion on Kaypro 10 tpi 96 - CP/M ; Hallo My kaypro runs with AdventTurbo. I try to expand my second Kaypro 10 with an extra floppy's becaus this kaypro has a corrupt WD1002 controller, so I removed the HD I want to use a 3,5 inch fd 96 ...

  1. Kaypro 10 tpi 96

    Hallo
    My kaypro runs with AdventTurbo.
    I try to expand my second Kaypro 10 with an extra floppy's becaus this
    kaypro has a corrupt WD1002 controller, so I removed the HD
    I want to use a 3,5 inch fd 96 tpi. floppy's
    When I run turbocpy to format disk B (3,5 inch), I can't get this disk
    formatted in advent tpi 96.
    When I try to format B according option 5 of turbocpy I get displayed
    "source or destinatio drive are not 96 tpi".
    How can I format disk B in advent 96tpi format and disk A in advent 48tpi
    format.

    thanks

  2. Re: Kaypro 10 tpi 96

    On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:07:27 +0100, "j.e. van der geest"
    wrote:

    >Hallo
    >My kaypro runs with AdventTurbo.
    >I try to expand my second Kaypro 10 with an extra floppy's becaus this
    >kaypro has a corrupt WD1002 controller, so I removed the HD
    >I want to use a 3,5 inch fd 96 tpi. floppy's
    >When I run turbocpy to format disk B (3,5 inch), I can't get this disk
    >formatted in advent tpi 96.
    >When I try to format B according option 5 of turbocpy I get displayed
    >"source or destinatio drive are not 96 tpi".
    >How can I format disk B in advent 96tpi format and disk A in advent 48tpi
    >format.
    >
    >thanks

    Two things.

    To select what format and drive for Turbo rom you need the personality
    card (an adaptor card of sorts). It's putpose is to let the Turbo
    rom bios know if a drive is present and what type of drive.

    Second is that to use two or more drives on any Kaypro the drive must
    use the select lines (jumper, dip header or switch select on the
    drive). Kaypro (most non PC systems) do not use the twist in the
    cable select scheme that PCs use.

    Can you format the b: drive at all? If 48tpi is possible then make
    that drive the 48tpi and use A: as the 96tpi.

    Allison

  3. Re: Kaypro 10 tpi 96

    Thanks again Allison.

    After studying the schematic of the PCB send by Don and intensively reading
    the documentation I understand what to do making the Kaypro fit for an 96tpi
    disk.
    I have some work to do on it I quess.

    Greetings Jos

    schreef in bericht
    > On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:07:27 +0100, "j.e. van der geest"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hallo
    >>My kaypro runs with AdventTurbo.
    >>I try to expand my second Kaypro 10 with an extra floppy's becaus this
    >>kaypro has a corrupt WD1002 controller, so I removed the HD
    >>I want to use a 3,5 inch fd 96 tpi. floppy's
    >>When I run turbocpy to format disk B (3,5 inch), I can't get this disk
    >>formatted in advent tpi 96.
    >>When I try to format B according option 5 of turbocpy I get displayed
    >>"source or destinatio drive are not 96 tpi".
    >>How can I format disk B in advent 96tpi format and disk A in advent 48tpi
    >>format.
    >>
    >>thanks

    > Two things.
    >
    > To select what format and drive for Turbo rom you need the personality
    > card (an adaptor card of sorts). It's putpose is to let the Turbo
    > rom bios know if a drive is present and what type of drive.
    >
    > Second is that to use two or more drives on any Kaypro the drive must
    > use the select lines (jumper, dip header or switch select on the
    > drive). Kaypro (most non PC systems) do not use the twist in the
    > cable select scheme that PCs use.
    >
    > Can you format the b: drive at all? If 48tpi is possible then make
    > that drive the 48tpi and use A: as the 96tpi.
    >

    > Allison

  4. Re: Kaypro 10 tpi 96

    wrote:

    >Hallo
    >My kaypro runs with AdventTurbo.
    >I try to expand my second Kaypro 10 with an extra floppy's becaus this
    >kaypro has a corrupt WD1002 controller, so I removed the HD
    >I want to use a 3,5 inch fd 96 tpi. floppy's
    >When I run turbocpy to format disk B (3,5 inch), I can't get this disk
    >formatted in advent tpi 96.
    >When I try to format B according option 5 of turbocpy I get displayed
    >"source or destinatio drive are not 96 tpi".
    >How can I format disk B in advent 96tpi format and disk A in advent 48tpi
    >format.
    >
    >thanks

    Was the drive a 720K early 3.5 in disk or a current 1.44 meg HD 3.5. I
    have replaced old 5.25 in drives with the 720K drives without any
    hardware changes. You need to lock the 1.44 down to 720K format to
    have it emulate a 5.25 drive.

    Back when I had 6 RS mod4p's running I had a mix of drives running in
    them, some 40 track, one 40-80, one with two 80's, and another with
    two 3.5 in 720K drives. I am down to just one 4p left running, so it
    has 2 40 track drives installed, though I still have all the drives
    available for swapping in if needed.

    If you have a HD diskette in the drive it will try to format HD.

  5. Re: Kaypro 10 tpi 96

    Hallo Primo,
    I understood from Allison that it is a "must" to install the Turborom and
    the Personality Decoder Board to expand the Kaypro with a 96tpi floppydisk.
    He explained it clearly to me.
    At the moment Kaypro is now running with two 3,5 inch floppy ssdd 48 tpi.
    My first project is to implement the PCB so I have a varition of sorts
    drives (48 and 96 tpi).
    (thanks to Don and Alisson for the schematic PCB)
    Thanks for your reaction Primo

    Vr. Groeten
    Jos

    "primo" schreef in bericht
    > On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:07:27 +0100, "j.e. van der geest"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hallo
    >>My kaypro runs with AdventTurbo.
    >>I try to expand my second Kaypro 10 with an extra floppy's becaus this
    >>kaypro has a corrupt WD1002 controller, so I removed the HD
    >>I want to use a 3,5 inch fd 96 tpi. floppy's
    >>When I run turbocpy to format disk B (3,5 inch), I can't get this disk
    >>formatted in advent tpi 96.
    >>When I try to format B according option 5 of turbocpy I get displayed
    >>"source or destinatio drive are not 96 tpi".
    >>How can I format disk B in advent 96tpi format and disk A in advent 48tpi
    >>format.
    >>
    >>thanks

    > Was the drive a 720K early 3.5 in disk or a current 1.44 meg HD 3.5. I
    > have replaced old 5.25 in drives with the 720K drives without any
    > hardware changes. You need to lock the 1.44 down to 720K format to
    > have it emulate a 5.25 drive.
    >
    > Back when I had 6 RS mod4p's running I had a mix of drives running in
    > them, some 40 track, one 40-80, one with two 80's, and another with
    > two 3.5 in 720K drives. I am down to just one 4p left running, so it
    > has 2 40 track drives installed, though I still have all the drives
    > available for swapping in if needed.
    >
    > If you have a HD diskette in the drive it will try to format HD.

  6. Re: Kaypro 10 tpi 96

    j.e. van der geest wrote:

    > Hallo Primo,
    > I understood from Allison that it is a "must" to install the Turborom and
    > the Personality Decoder Board to expand the Kaypro with a 96tpi floppydisk.
    > He explained it clearly to me.
    > At the moment Kaypro is now running with two 3,5 inch floppy ssdd 48 tpi.
    > My first project is to implement the PCB so I have a varition of sorts
    > drives (48 and 96 tpi).

    It would be better to call them 40 track and 80 track drives.
    5.25 in drives are 48tpi and 96tpi. 3.5in, like 96tpi 5.25in drives,
    are 80 track drives, but not 96tpi.

    -- glen

+ Reply to Thread