On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:21:41 -0700, amouses@gmail.com wrote:

>A sad tale with a question ....
>
>Question: What do people use for replacement S100 S-100 power
>supplies ...?
>
>Having intergalactically freighted some Cromemco systems at vast
>expense imagine the sinking feeling I felt when I recently connected
>an IBM 40MB MFM drive. ....
>
>A small pop/bang later it became clear that something was dead.
>Cromemco PSU fuses however had not blown, something more fundamental
>has died :-(
>
>So having learnt from this mess I now connect all drives on separate
>IBM PC style power supplies. Here is plan
>
>a) Buy a 500W or greater ATX Power supply
>
>b) Connect pins 14 (green) and 15 (Black) together. See
>http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/...20Supplies.pdf
>
>for more details
>
>Now the Power supply will operate.
>
>c) Connect any dodgy equipment to this indestructible 5V power rail.
>
>d) ATX supplies have circuitry that protects against even direct
>shorts (I've tested it frequently in the last weeks)
>
>------
>
>Presumably the best thing to do would be to find a model Switch Mode
>PSU with equivalent outputs
>
>------
>
>So that just leaves me the question ... Are "plug replacement" S100
>supplies available . I think the Cromemco unregulated outputs
>were. ...
>+8V 30A
>+18V 15A
>-18V 15A

When I bought my s-100 systems (balcones bnv-205) I bought an entire
pallet of them at a university surplus sale. I still have half a dozen
as spare parts for the one single user and one multi user system I
have hooked up. A linear power supply is easy to fix, nothing compared
to fixing a switcher. Even if you have to rewire a transformer it can
be done with a little patience. Just let a long time ham radio
operator take a look at it and they should be able to find the broken
component.