Northstar advanage boot disk - CP/M

This is a discussion on Northstar advanage boot disk - CP/M ; I have a working Northstar Advantage system I think. It boots to the load prompt on the screen and then if I hit return key or D1 it causes the A drive heads to load. It then beeps again on ...

  1. Northstar advanage boot disk

    I have a working Northstar Advantage system I think. It boots to the load prompt
    on the screen and then if I hit return key or D1 it causes the A drive heads to
    load. It then beeps again on a disk I thought may boot. I tried the B drive with
    D2 and it loads the heads but also beeps again. I'm in need of a boot disk I
    feel. These are the only two commands I have found to do anything.

    Thanks and I can trade you some blank hard sectored disks or pay you for the
    disk. Thanks again

  2. Re: Northstar advanage boot disk

    >I have a working Northstar Advantage system I think. It boots to the load prompt
    >on the screen and then if I hit return key or D1 it causes the A drive heads to
    >load. It then beeps again on a disk I thought may boot. I tried the B drive with
    >D2 and it loads the heads but also beeps again. I'm in need of a boot disk I
    >feel. These are the only two commands I have found to do anything.

    >Thanks and I can trade you some blank hard sectored disks or pay you for the
    >disk. Thanks again

    I've just recently posted a set of Advantage boot disks to my site. Both
    NorthStar DOS and CP/M (as well as the Advantage demonstration disk
    which does show off the graphics quite nicely).

    Course the tricky part will be how to you turn the image into a physical
    disk. I've got a utility on my site (included with my Horizon simulator)
    called NST which transfers NorthStar disk images to/from a NorthStar
    system over a serial port.

    Unfortunately, you need to have the system booted and running my
    client - I do provide a version of the client with N* DOS integrated that
    you can bootstrap, however there's really no way that I know of to
    easily bootstrap code into the Advantage other than by disk.

    However, from another posting of yours that I was just reading, I see
    that you have an IMSAI ... If you can beg/borrow a NorthStar MDS
    (Double Density) controller, it is quite easy to bootstrap my client
    into a machine with a front panel (just toggle in a small loader to
    bring it in) - You would need to modify the client to work with your
    serial portl, but that should not be difficult.

    I note that you have an MDC-A4, however this is a single-density
    NorthStar controller - it can't make disks for the Advantage which
    has an integrated DoubleDensity controller. Unfortunately I don't
    think the Advantage can boot a single-density disk (if it could, we
    could make a bootstrap disk to get the DD client into it).

    Regards,

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    dunfield. Collector of classic pre-PC computer systems.

  3. Re: Northstar advanage boot disk

    I do have a Northstar MDS-AD controller which I can put in the Imsai so I may
    try out your images and try that path. Thanks

    Dave.Dunfield@use.techsupport.link.on.my.website (Dave Dunfield) wrote:

    >>I have a working Northstar Advantage system I think. It boots to the load prompt
    >>on the screen and then if I hit return key or D1 it causes the A drive heads to
    >>load. It then beeps again on a disk I thought may boot. I tried the B drive with
    >>D2 and it loads the heads but also beeps again. I'm in need of a boot disk I
    >>feel. These are the only two commands I have found to do anything.

    >>Thanks and I can trade you some blank hard sectored disks or pay you for the
    >>disk. Thanks again

    >I've just recently posted a set of Advantage boot disks to my site. Both
    >NorthStar DOS and CP/M (as well as the Advantage demonstration disk
    >which does show off the graphics quite nicely).
    >
    >Course the tricky part will be how to you turn the image into a physical
    >disk. I've got a utility on my site (included with my Horizon simulator)
    >called NST which transfers NorthStar disk images to/from a NorthStar
    >system over a serial port.
    >
    >Unfortunately, you need to have the system booted and running my
    >client - I do provide a version of the client with N* DOS integrated that
    >you can bootstrap, however there's really no way that I know of to
    >easily bootstrap code into the Advantage other than by disk.
    >
    >However, from another posting of yours that I was just reading, I see
    >that you have an IMSAI ... If you can beg/borrow a NorthStar MDS
    >(Double Density) controller, it is quite easy to bootstrap my client
    >into a machine with a front panel (just toggle in a small loader to
    >bring it in) - You would need to modify the client to work with your
    >serial portl, but that should not be difficult.
    >
    >I note that you have an MDC-A4, however this is a single-density
    >NorthStar controller - it can't make disks for the Advantage which
    >has an integrated DoubleDensity controller. Unfortunately I don't
    >think the Advantage can boot a single-density disk (if it could, we
    >could make a bootstrap disk to get the DD client into it).
    >
    >Regards,

  4. Re: Northstar advanage boot disk

    >I do have a Northstar MDS-AD controller which I can put in the Imsai so I may
    >try out your images and try that path. Thanks

    MDS-AD will work fine - that what I used to backup the disks, and I also
    verified that a restored disk through the same system will boot on the
    Advantage.

    You will need to modify my client for your serial I/O hardware, and
    also write a little bootstrap that you can toggle in through the IMSAI
    front panel to load and launch the client (the stand alone client is
    a few K because it includes NorthStar DOS 5.0 - you wouldn't want
    to toggle the whole thing in). Once the client is running and connected
    to the PC, you should be able to use NST to restore the images.

    Dave

    --
    Dunfield Development Services http://www.dunfield.com
    Low cost software development tools for embedded systems

  5. Re: Northstar advanage boot disk

    Source code for the original hard sectored single density MDS is
    available. It's possible to put a NorthStar controller into a computer
    that is also running CP/M on an 8" soft-sector controller. You can
    assemble the North Star DOS (using ASM), put it in memory with DDT and
    write it out to the NorthStar drive using combinations of the NorthStar
    MDS firmware and DDT and perhaps some extracted and reassembled routines
    from the North Star DOS.

    Dave Dunfield wrote:
    >> I do have a Northstar MDS-AD controller which I can put in the Imsai so I may
    >> try out your images and try that path. Thanks

    > MDS-AD will work fine - that what I used to backup the disks, and I also
    > verified that a restored disk through the same system will boot on the
    > Advantage.
    >
    > You will need to modify my client for your serial I/O hardware, and
    > also write a little bootstrap that you can toggle in through the IMSAI
    > front panel to load and launch the client (the stand alone client is
    > a few K because it includes NorthStar DOS 5.0 - you wouldn't want
    > to toggle the whole thing in). Once the client is running and connected
    > to the PC, you should be able to use NST to restore the images.
    >
    > Dave

  6. Re: Northstar advanage boot disk

    >Source code for the original hard sectored single density MDS is
    >available. It's possible to put a NorthStar controller into a computer
    >that is also running CP/M on an 8" soft-sector controller. You can
    >assemble the North Star DOS (using ASM), put it in memory with DDT and
    >write it out to the NorthStar drive using combinations of the NorthStar
    >MDS firmware and DDT and perhaps some extracted and reassembled routines
    >from the North Star DOS.

    NST can "type" the client into most debuggers including DDT - I've
    successfully installed the client this way on a system booted from
    the NorthStar controller into CP/M - presumably it would work
    equally well if you had booted from another controller - as long as
    the N* controller is available in the address map.

    I include cross assemblers and all other tools you need to revise
    the client on your PC - no need to assemble elsewhere or hack
    up routines to write the N* disk - Just modify the I/O for your serial
    arrangement, load the client by whatever means are best suited to
    your system, and launch it and you should be good to go.

    --
    Dunfield Development Services http://www.dunfield.com
    Low cost software development tools for embedded systems
    Software/firmware development services Fax:613-256-5821

  7. Re: Northstar advanage boot disk

    Dave Dunfield wrote:
    > >Source code for the original hard sectored single density MDS is
    > >available.

    http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/d_nstar.html

    My NorthStar page has disassembled DOS source and boot.

    Herb Johnson

    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    web site
    domain
    mirror

  8. Re: Northstar advanage boot disk

    Indeed; I think I vaguely recognize it.

    :-)

    Herb Johnson wrote:
    > Dave Dunfield wrote:
    >>> Source code for the original hard sectored single density MDS is
    >>> available.

    > http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/d_nstar.html
    >
    > My NorthStar page has disassembled DOS source and boot.
    >
    > Herb Johnson
    >
    > Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    > web site
    > domain
    > mirror

    > my email address: hjohnson AAT retrotechnology DOTT com
    > if no reply, try in a few days: herbjohnson ATT comcast DOTT net
    > "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, SGI, 8-inch floppy drives
    > S-100 IMSAI Altair computers, docs, by "Dr. S-100"

+ Reply to Thread