Imsai 8 inch floppy disk drive sub system - CP/M

This is a discussion on Imsai 8 inch floppy disk drive sub system - CP/M ; I have a working Imsai and have been trying to get the 8 inch floppy sub system working. I have a number of floppy disk controller but no Imsai FD controller. I have Cromemco 4fdc, Cromemco 64fdcCromemco 16fdc, dual systems ...

  1. Imsai 8 inch floppy disk drive sub system

    I have a working Imsai and have been trying to get the 8 inch floppy sub system
    working. I have a number of floppy disk controller but no Imsai FD controller.
    I have Cromemco 4fdc, Cromemco 64fdcCromemco 16fdc, dual systems FDC and some
    CCS fdc. I'm not sure of the cable connection from the Imsai disk to the
    controllers. I have heard the Caldisk is not the same as the shugart which I do
    have working on another Imsai. Thanks.

  2. Re: Imsai 8 inch floppy disk drive sub system

    WHICH Imsai disk system do you have?

    I can help you with this, I'm very familiar with these, but you may not
    be pleased when I explain the situation to you (which I won't do until I
    know what you have got). Please describe it in detail.

    Keith wrote:
    > I have a working Imsai and have been trying to get the 8 inch floppy sub system
    > working. I have a number of floppy disk controller but no Imsai FD controller.
    > I have Cromemco 4fdc, Cromemco 64fdcCromemco 16fdc, dual systems FDC and some
    > CCS fdc. I'm not sure of the cable connection from the Imsai disk to the
    > controllers. I have heard the Caldisk is not the same as the shugart which I do
    > have working on another Imsai. Thanks.

  3. Re: Imsai 8 inch floppy disk drive sub system

    "Keith" wrote in message
    >I have a working Imsai and have been trying to get the 8 inch floppy sub
    >system
    > working. I have a number of floppy disk controller but no Imsai FD
    > controller.
    > I have Cromemco 4fdc, Cromemco 64fdcCromemco 16fdc, dual systems FDC and
    > some
    > CCS fdc. I'm not sure of the cable connection from the Imsai disk to the
    > controllers. I have heard the Caldisk is not the same as the shugart which
    > I do
    > have working on another Imsai. Thanks.

    What drives are you using? The first disk controller configuration was the
    two-board IFM/FIB single density only controller that ran IMSAI's CP/M 1.3.
    The next generation (c. early 1977) was the DIO/PDS board set which ran the
    enhanced proprietary version of CP/M called IMDOS. First, there was version
    2.02, then 2.05, then 2.07, and finally IMDOS II (Dianne Hijcek's last-ditch
    effort at propping up the value of the third generation IMSAI hardware. I
    can help if you let me know what you have.

    Regards,

    -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

  4. Re: Imsai 8 inch floppy disk drive sub system

    He contacted me offline. He has a late disk box (dual 142's) with NO
    controller at all, apparently.

    Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:
    > "Keith" wrote in message
    >> I have a working Imsai and have been trying to get the 8 inch floppy sub
    >> system
    >> working. I have a number of floppy disk controller but no Imsai FD
    >> controller.
    >> I have Cromemco 4fdc, Cromemco 64fdcCromemco 16fdc, dual systems FDC and
    >> some
    >> CCS fdc. I'm not sure of the cable connection from the Imsai disk to the
    >> controllers. I have heard the Caldisk is not the same as the shugart which
    >> I do
    >> have working on another Imsai. Thanks.

    > What drives are you using? The first disk controller configuration was the
    > two-board IFM/FIB single density only controller that ran IMSAI's CP/M 1.3.
    > The next generation (c. early 1977) was the DIO/PDS board set which ran the
    > enhanced proprietary version of CP/M called IMDOS. First, there was version
    > 2.02, then 2.05, then 2.07, and finally IMDOS II (Dianne Hijcek's last-ditch
    > effort at propping up the value of the third generation IMSAI hardware. I
    > can help if you let me know what you have.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

  5. Re: Imsai 8 inch floppy disk drive sub system

    That's correct. I don't have a Imsai controller but do have Cromemco 4fd.16fdc
    and 64fdc. I also have two dual disk subsytems that have Calcomp 142 rev c 8"
    drives. I would like to use them but now understand it would take allot of time
    to do so. I guess if I had a Imsai FDC it would be easier.
    Thanks

    New System I'm trying to get working
    Imsai with Front Panel
    Imsai 8" dual drive system with Calcomp model 142M rev-c drives. I do have two
    Imsai drive subsystems with Calcomp 142 drive in both. One back has two rs232
    type connectors which feeds into one 50 pin cable connector.

    I also have a Northstar advantage which boots to the monitor prompt but I don't
    have a boot disk for it.

    CCS Z80 cpu rev-b model 2810
    IMS 32k static ram card addressed to 0-7ffff
    CCS 2422 disk controller
    The system tests out ok using the monitor on the CCS cpu card.

    Other cards I have
    MS MPU-a
    CCS 2810 z80 cpu
    Cromemco ZPU
    SD sales Z80 cpu

    IMS MIO-rev-2
    Cromemco 64FDC
    Cromemco 16FDC
    Cromemco 4FDC
    Dual systems wdc-smp
    compupro disk1a controller
    ims 4 line comm card
    bitstreamer II
    Cromemco SCC
    ICOM micro floppy controller
    Cromemco IOP
    Cromemco 32k byte saver
    Cromemco 8K byte saver
    compukit/godbout 2708 with 16 2708 eproms
    northstar microdisk controller MDC-A4
    Cromemco dpu
    Turbosaver I not sure what it is
    dual systems wdc-smdb
    6 memory cards which I can use to bring system up to 56k I'm sure

    2 shugart 400L 5 1/4 disk drives

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    >He contacted me offline. He has a late disk box (dual 142's) with NO
    >controller at all, apparently.
    >

    >Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:
    >> "Keith" wrote in message
    >>> I have a working Imsai and have been trying to get the 8 inch floppy sub
    >>> system
    >>> working. I have a number of floppy disk controller but no Imsai FD
    >>> controller.
    >>> I have Cromemco 4fdc, Cromemco 64fdcCromemco 16fdc, dual systems FDC and
    >>> some
    >>> CCS fdc. I'm not sure of the cable connection from the Imsai disk to the
    >>> controllers. I have heard the Caldisk is not the same as the shugart which
    >>> I do
    >>> have working on another Imsai. Thanks.

    >> What drives are you using? The first disk controller configuration was the
    >> two-board IFM/FIB single density only controller that ran IMSAI's CP/M 1.3.
    >> The next generation (c. early 1977) was the DIO/PDS board set which ran the
    >> enhanced proprietary version of CP/M called IMDOS. First, there was version
    >> 2.02, then 2.05, then 2.07, and finally IMDOS II (Dianne Hijcek's last-ditch
    >> effort at propping up the value of the third generation IMSAI hardware. I
    >> can help if you let me know what you have.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

  6. Re: Imsai 8 inch floppy disk drive sub system

    There is a small board(Read decoder w/P.L.O.) that sits in the rear of the unit
    that slides into card slides behind the power supply for the drive on the right.
    The power supply(?) is labeled (Imsai FPS rev3) seats behind each drive.

    controller thatBarry Watzman wrote:

    >He contacted me offline. He has a late disk box (dual 142's) with NO
    >controller at all, apparently.
    >

    >Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:
    >> "Keith" wrote in message
    >>> I have a working Imsai and have been trying to get the 8 inch floppy sub
    >>> system
    >>> working. I have a number of floppy disk controller but no Imsai FD
    >>> controller.
    >>> I have Cromemco 4fdc, Cromemco 64fdcCromemco 16fdc, dual systems FDC and
    >>> some
    >>> CCS fdc. I'm not sure of the cable connection from the Imsai disk to the
    >>> controllers. I have heard the Caldisk is not the same as the shugart which
    >>> I do
    >>> have working on another Imsai. Thanks.

    >> What drives are you using? The first disk controller configuration was the
    >> two-board IFM/FIB single density only controller that ran IMSAI's CP/M 1.3.
    >> The next generation (c. early 1977) was the DIO/PDS board set which ran the
    >> enhanced proprietary version of CP/M called IMDOS. First, there was version
    >> 2.02, then 2.05, then 2.07, and finally IMDOS II (Dianne Hijcek's last-ditch
    >> effort at propping up the value of the third generation IMSAI hardware. I
    >> can help if you let me know what you have.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

  7. Re: Imsai 8 inch floppy disk drive sub system

    It's phased locked loop data separator, which the IFM/FIB controller
    required. You will probably have to bypass it for most other
    controllers that you might try to use.

    Keith wrote:
    > There is a small board(Read decoder w/P.L.O.) that sits in the rear of the unit
    > that slides into card slides behind the power supply for the drive on the right.
    > The power supply(?) is labeled (Imsai FPS rev3) seats behind each drive.
    >
    > controller thatBarry Watzman wrote:
    >
    >> He contacted me offline. He has a late disk box (dual 142's) with NO
    >> controller at all, apparently.
    >>

    >> Thomas "Todd" Fischer wrote:
    >>> "Keith" wrote in message
    >>> What drives are you using? The first disk controller configuration was the
    >>> two-board IFM/FIB single density only controller that ran IMSAI's CP/M 1.3.
    >>> The next generation (c. early 1977) was the DIO/PDS board set which ran the
    >>> enhanced proprietary version of CP/M called IMDOS. First, there was version
    >>> 2.02, then 2.05, then 2.07, and finally IMDOS II (Dianne Hijcek's last-ditch
    >>> effort at propping up the value of the third generation IMSAI hardware. I
    >>> can help if you let me know what you have.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> -Thomas "Todd" Fischer

+ Reply to Thread