P112 and other Disk Format support added to SIMH/AltairZ80 Simulator - CP/M

This is a discussion on P112 and other Disk Format support added to SIMH/AltairZ80 Simulator - CP/M ; Hello, I added configurable disk geometry and format support into SIMH/AltairZ80. My main reason for doing this was so that I could create the 128K FLASH Disk Images that I use in my eZ80 Single Board Computer. These images are ...

  1. P112 and other Disk Format support added to SIMH/AltairZ80 Simulator

    Hello,

    I added configurable disk geometry and format support into
    SIMH/AltairZ80. My main reason for doing this was so that I could
    create the 128K FLASH Disk Images that I use in my eZ80 Single Board
    Computer. These images are stored in the eZ80F91's on-chip FLASH, and
    come up as drive A> under CP/M. They are "read-only" to the eZ80's
    CP/M, so I need a way to make them. I used to use the eZ80SBC to write
    them to an SD card, but I figured that I could save a few steps when
    modifying the images by doing it under SIMH.

    While I was at it, I made the disk geometry configurable. Along with
    that, I put a few "common" CP/M disk formats in there, namely:

    P112 1.44M Floppy support
    Super-I/O 720K Floppy Support
    eZ80SBC 128K FLASH Disk Support

    Peter Schorn has offered to include this in his next official release
    of AltairZ80. In the interim, you can get a version for Windows, as
    part of the eZ80SBC Software Distribution:

    http://www.ez80sbc.com

    and click on the Download link.

    The SIMH/AltairZ80 executable as well as CP/M 3.0 disk images are
    included in that distribution. This also includes my modifications to
    the AltairZ80 XFORMAT utility to support sector sizes other than 128
    bytes.

    The source code is also included, as well as a project file for MS
    Visual Studio 2005.
    Here is some output from the P112 Source Code disk image:

    sim> att hdsk3 sc.dsk
    sim> show hdsk
    HDSK, 8 units
    HDSK0, 8388KB, attached to cpm3_c.dsk, HDSK, WRTENB, QUIET,
    T:2048/N:32/S:128
    HDSK1, 8388KB, attached to cpm3_d.dsk, HDSK, WRTENB, QUIET,
    T:2048/N:32/S:128
    HDSK2, 131KB, attached to 128k.dsk, EZ80FL, WRTENB, QUIET,
    T:32/N:8/S:512
    HDSK3, 1474KB, attached to sc.dsk, P112, WRTENB, QUIET,
    T:160/N:18/S:512
    HDSK4, 8388KB, not attached, HDSK, WRTENB, QUIET, T:0/N:0/S:0
    HDSK5, 8388KB, not attached, HDSK, WRTENB, QUIET, T:0/N:0/S:0
    HDSK6, 8388KB, not attached, HDSK, WRTENB, QUIET, T:0/N:0/S:0
    HDSK7, 8388KB, not attached, HDSK, WRTENB, QUIET, T:0/N:0/S:0
    sim> go

    I>dir l:
    L: CLKRAM 180 : DATA INC : DATTIM 180 : DEBUG 180 : DISKOP
    180
    L: EQU INC : GIDE 180 : MACROS INC : MAKEROM COM : MAKEROM
    ZEX
    L: ROM 180 : ROM HEX : ROMV5 DOC : SCSI 180 : VT100
    Z3T

    You can also attach to an actual floppy disk drive. Be very careful
    with this, you don't want to accidentally attach to your hard drive in
    raw mode... Here, I have a 720K Floppy Disk inserted into a Sony USB
    Floppy Drive which is B: on my system:

    sim> set hdsk3 format=su720
    sim> att hdsk3 \\.\B:
    sim> go

    I>XFORMAT L:

    XFORMAT V-1.05 (18-Sep-2006)

    Drive L:
    --------
    512 bytes/sector
    160 tracks
    9 sectors per track

    Type C to format, any other character to abort C

    I>dir L:
    No File
    I>pip l:=b:speed.com

    I>dir L:
    L: SPEED COM

    So, to mount the physical disk, in my case, a USB Floppy Drive that is
    B: on my system, I did:

    set hdsk3 su720 ; set HDSK3 to Super-I/O 720K Format, you could also do
    P112 for a 1.44M Floppy Disk
    att hdsk3 \\.\B:

    \\.\B: means open the raw B: drive. Access to the floppy this way is
    pretty slow, so if you're going to do a lot of manipulation of the
    floppy, it might be best to just make an image of the floppy using
    NtRawrite.exe.

    In the example above I also formatted the disk using SIMH/AltairZ80's
    XFORMAT utility. This is included in the distribution as well.

    I would be interested to know if anyone is able to use the raw disk I/O
    under Linux as well. Maybe someone can take the sources and try to
    compile under Linux and test that out. I believe you can use
    /dev/fd0h1440 or something like that as the raw floppy drive under
    Linux.

    Take care,
    Howard

  2. Re: P112 and other Disk Format support added to SIMH/AltairZ80 Simulator

    hharte@hartetec.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I added configurable disk geometry and format support into
    > SIMH/AltairZ80. My main reason for doing this was so that I could
    > create the 128K FLASH Disk Images that I use in my eZ80 Single Board
    > Computer. These images are stored in the eZ80F91's on-chip FLASH, and
    > come up as drive A> under CP/M. They are "read-only" to the eZ80's
    > CP/M, so I need a way to make them. I used to use the eZ80SBC to write
    > them to an SD card, but I figured that I could save a few steps when
    > modifying the images by doing it under SIMH.
    >
    > While I was at it, I made the disk geometry configurable. Along with
    > that, I put a few "common" CP/M disk formats in there, namely:
    >
    > P112 1.44M Floppy support
    > Super-I/O 720K Floppy Support
    > eZ80SBC 128K FLASH Disk Support

    You might want to add some more, common formats,
    like Kaypro, Osborne, and NorthStar. Just to make
    it easy for those users.

    > Peter Schorn has offered to include this in his next official release
    > of AltairZ80. In the interim, you can get a version for Windows, as
    > part of the eZ80SBC Software Distribution:
    >
    > http://www.ez80sbc.com
    >
    > and click on the Download link.

    [snip]

    > In the example above I also formatted the disk using SIMH/AltairZ80's
    > XFORMAT utility. This is included in the distribution as well.
    >
    > I would be interested to know if anyone is able to use the raw disk I/O
    > under Linux as well. Maybe someone can take the sources and try to
    > compile under Linux and test that out. I believe you can use
    > /dev/fd0h1440 or something like that as the raw floppy drive under
    > Linux.

    I don't know about formatting a floppy drive under Linux,
    but I have used CD's as raw devices. Works very will for
    installing VMS in simh, for example. I'd expect pre-formatted
    floppies to be no problem, not sure what a bad sector will
    do to the emulation, though.

  3. Re: P112 and other Disk Format support added to SIMH/AltairZ80 Simulator

    Kevin Handy wrote:
    > hharte@hartetec.com wrote:
    >
    > You might want to add some more, common formats,
    > like Kaypro, Osborne, and NorthStar. Just to make
    > it easy for those users.

    There are more formats that can certainly be supported. If you want to
    be able to read/write real floppy media though, the formats have to be
    pretty much like a DOS floppy disk. Ie, the gap length, etc.
    NorthStar images could be supported, but not real floppies, because
    they're hard-sectored and for other reasons.

    But if you really want to support NorthStar images even, then it would
    be best to write a simulation of the North Star disk controller as
    well, so that N* DOS and Lifeboat CP/M would work.

    > > Peter Schorn has offered to include this in his next official release
    > > of AltairZ80. In the interim, you can get a version for Windows, as
    > > part of the eZ80SBC Software Distribution:
    > >
    > > http://www.ez80sbc.com
    > >
    > > and click on the Download link.
    > >

    > I don't know about formatting a floppy drive under Linux,
    > but I have used CD's as raw devices. Works very will for
    > installing VMS in simh, for example. I'd expect pre-formatted
    > floppies to be no problem, not sure what a bad sector will
    > do to the emulation, though.

    I've done that too. I was able to get OpenVMS/VAX running on SIMH.
    Another thing that I tried was Net booting NetBSD on a VAX, and then
    using that to write a PDP-11 2.11 BSD disk image that I made on SIMH to
    an RA92 drive, and then use that to boot a real PDP-11.

    One thing that I really like about the SIMH simulator is that it can be
    used not only to simulate older systems, but it can also be used to
    revive them.

+ Reply to Thread