HELP: CCP/M-86 v3.1 - CP/M

This is a discussion on HELP: CCP/M-86 v3.1 - CP/M ; Hi all, I tried to install (again!) the above mentioned version of CCP/M on an old IBM clone with an old HD (130MB / 17 sec per track) and an 5.25 floppy drive. It once worked! But now I wanted ...

  1. HELP: CCP/M-86 v3.1

    Hi all,

    I tried to install (again!) the above mentioned
    version of CCP/M on an old IBM clone with an old
    HD (130MB / 17 sec per track) and an 5.25 floppy
    drive. It once worked! But now I wanted to rearange
    everything (bad idea) and used my old disks to
    install CCP/M. The boot disk seems to be corrupt.
    I got the following message:

    Disk Error Drive A: Track 1 Bad Address Mark

    I use the patched version by Jeffrey W. Shook.

    Is anybody out there (may be Jeffrey) who can
    send me disk images of this OS?

    Thanks a lot,

    Uwe.

  2. Re: HELP: CCP/M-86 v3.1

    It's as likely that the drive is bad ... or just slightly misaligned ...
    as it is that the disk is bad. Try another drive.

    Uwe Nass wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I tried to install (again!) the above mentioned
    > version of CCP/M on an old IBM clone with an old
    > HD (130MB / 17 sec per track) and an 5.25 floppy
    > drive. It once worked! But now I wanted to rearange
    > everything (bad idea) and used my old disks to
    > install CCP/M. The boot disk seems to be corrupt.
    > I got the following message:
    >
    > Disk Error Drive A: Track 1 Bad Address Mark
    >
    > I use the patched version by Jeffrey W. Shook.
    >
    > Is anybody out there (may be Jeffrey) who can
    > send me disk images of this OS?
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > Uwe.

  3. Re: HELP: CCP/M-86 v3.1

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > It's as likely that the drive is bad ... or just slightly misaligned ...
    > as it is that the disk is bad. Try another drive.
    >
    > Uwe Nass wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I tried to install (again!) the above mentioned
    >> version of CCP/M on an old IBM clone with an old
    >> HD (130MB / 17 sec per track) and an 5.25 floppy
    >> drive. It once worked! But now I wanted to rearange
    >> everything (bad idea) and used my old disks to
    >> install CCP/M. The boot disk seems to be corrupt.
    >> I got the following message:
    >>
    >> Disk Error Drive A: Track 1 Bad Address Mark
    >>
    >> I use the patched version by Jeffrey W. Shook.
    >>
    >> Is anybody out there (may be Jeffrey) who can
    >> send me disk images of this OS?
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot,
    >>
    >> Uwe.

    Hi Barry,

    last week I tried it again and I found
    out the following: Use real 360K drives
    and everything works just fine!

    Thanks,

    Uwe.

  4. Re: HELP: CCP/M-86 v3.1

    Hello, Uwe!

    > last week I tried it again and I found
    > out the following: Use real 360K drives
    > and everything works just fine!

    Hahaha! Yes, this is the biggest problem of CP/M-86 Plus and Concurrent CP/M
    Release 3.1: The BIOSes of both were written for the PC XT, and current IBM
    Clowns are still PC AT-compatible. For example, CP/M-86 Plus boots without
    any problem from a floppy but not from a Hard Disk, even if you manage to
    find a 512MB HD. There was a small change from PC XT to PC AT which prevents
    the LOADER from working correctly. Since I am not an electronician, I have
    not been able to find where is the problem, despite managing to recreate the
    source code of some versions of LOADER. (When will I finally find a
    competent electronician near where I live?)

    Those times, I am back to programming languages: I must have disassembled 5
    or 6 BASIC interpreters, lastly.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  5. Re: HELP: CCP/M-86 v3.1

    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France wrote:
    > Hello, Uwe!
    >
    >> last week I tried it again and I found
    >> out the following: Use real 360K drives
    >> and everything works just fine!

    > Hahaha! Yes, this is the biggest problem of CP/M-86 Plus and Concurrent CP/M
    > Release 3.1: The BIOSes of both were written for the PC XT, and current IBM
    > Clowns are still PC AT-compatible. For example, CP/M-86 Plus boots without
    > any problem from a floppy but not from a Hard Disk, even if you manage to
    > find a 512MB HD. There was a small change from PC XT to PC AT which prevents
    > the LOADER from working correctly. Since I am not an electronician, I have
    > not been able to find where is the problem, despite managing to recreate the
    > source code of some versions of LOADER. (When will I finally find a
    > competent electronician near where I live?)
    >
    > Those times, I am back to programming languages: I must have disassembled 5
    > or 6 BASIC interpreters, lastly.
    >
    > Yours Sincerely,
    > Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

    Couldn't believe that you don't know all existing possibilities for
    CP/M-86. There is an "AT-Patch" which helps exactly for resolving that
    "no boot" problem at http://www.nostalgia8.nl/mirrors/cpm86/86patch.zip
    , also there are a lot of other patches, e.g. to get 120Meg instead of
    8Meg for the harddisk space (
    http://www.nostalgia8.nl/mirrors/cpm86/cvv.zip ) and so on.
    Unfortunately there is now only a mirror from Kirk Lawrence's site
    available, but better than nothing (
    http://www.nostalgia8.nl/mirrors/cpm86/files.htm ).

    Regards
    Peter

  6. Re: HELP: CCP/M-86 v3.1

    Hello, Peter!

    > Couldn't believe that you don't know all existing possibilities for
    > CP/M-86. There is an "AT-Patch" which helps exactly for resolving that
    > "no boot" problem at http://www.nostalgia8.nl/mirrors/cpm86/86patch.zip
    > , also there are a lot of other patches, e.g. to get 120Meg instead of
    > 8Meg for the harddisk space (
    > http://www.nostalgia8.nl/mirrors/cpm86/cvv.zip ) and so on.
    > Unfortunately there is now only a mirror from Kirk Lawrence's site
    > available, but better than nothing (
    > http://www.nostalgia8.nl/mirrors/cpm86/files.htm ).

    Yes, you are right: this is CP/M-86... That is to say: BDOS Version 2.

    If, one day, you go on Kirk Lawrence's Web site, you will note that: "Much
    of it will NOT function correctly under other permutations of CP/M-86.
    YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!"

    And CP/M-86 Plus uses BDOS Version 3 (that is to say: biggest file: 32MB,
    biggest drive: 512MB, biggest configuration possible (16 drives of 512MB):
    8GB. We are not talking of 8MB.

    And Concurrent CP/M, as its name implies ("Release 3.1") uses BDOS Version 3
    (like MP/M-II).

    We are talking about something better than a simple port of CP/M 2.2 on the
    8086: a 8086 version of CP/M Plus with 4 background tasks, and a 8086
    version of MP/M-II with virtual screens (since the rotten hardware of the
    IBM Clown could not manage several screens).

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  7. Re: HELP: CCP/M-86 v3.1

    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> http://www.nostalgia8.nl/mirrors/cpm86/files.htm ).

    > Yes, you are right: this is CP/M-86... That is to say: BDOS Version 2.
    > [...]
    > We are talking about something better than a simple port of CP/M 2.2 on the
    > 8086: a 8086 version of CP/M Plus with 4 background tasks, and a 8086
    > version of MP/M-II with virtual screens (since the rotten hardware of the
    > IBM Clown could not manage several screens).

    I'm not sure why you are hating IBM PCs, because that's the tide of
    events, and regardless what poor design stands behind the PCs, it is
    still very successful. So I think accepting this is a good way to get in
    harmony with your world ;-)
    I mentioned Kirk Lawrence's pages because it can be a way to compare the
    original CP/M-86 with the patched version to learn something about the
    problem. And then, if you learned it, you can apply this to CP/M-86 plus
    or whatever also. Nothing else.

    Regards
    Peter

  8. Re: HELP: CCP/M-86 v3.1

    Hello,

    Peter Dassow wrote in message
    <487b46cb$0$6620$9b4e6d93@newsspool2.arcor-online.net>...

    >Unfortunately there is now only a mirror from Kirk Lawrence's site
    >available, but better than nothing

    >http://www.nostalgia8.nl/mirrors/cpm86/files.htm ).

    Piergiorgio Betti has mirrors too:

    http://z80cpu.eu/content/view/25/39/

    Greetz, Katzy.

  9. Re: HELP: CCP/M-86 v3.1

    Katzy wrote:

    > Piergiorgio Betti has mirrors too:
    >
    > http://z80cpu.eu/content/view/25/39/
    >
    > Greetz, Katzy.

    Yep, thanks. Have mentioned it now also in my blog at
    http://www.z80.eu/blog ...

    Greetz back, Peter

    --
    * More infos about vintage computers and CP/M - http://www.z80.eu