8" disks - CP/M

This is a discussion on 8" disks - CP/M ; Two quick questions. Can 22DISK do 8" disks on a PC disk controller? Does anyone still make the necessary adapter to connect an 8" drive to a PC controller? bill -- Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. ...

  1. 8" disks

    Two quick questions.

    Can 22DISK do 8" disks on a PC disk controller?

    Does anyone still make the necessary adapter to connect an 8" drive
    to a PC controller?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  2. Re: 8" disks

    >Two quick questions.

    >Can 22DISK do 8" disks on a PC disk controller?

    >Does anyone still make the necessary adapter to connect an 8" drive
    >to a PC controller?

    >bill

    Hi Bill,

    Electrically, an 8" drive is nearly identical to a 5.25" HD drive (same
    rotational speed, same transfer rate). 22disk should work fine with an
    8" drive.

    I have on my "museum" site:

    complete details of an easy to make adapter to allow you to connect
    an 8" drive to the 5.25" connector on a standard PC floppy cable.

    (Go to the disks/software-images link near the bottom of the main
    page, and then look for the link to the 8" drive adapter).

    Regards,
    Dave

    --
    dave04a@ Collector of classic pre-PC computer systems.
    dunfield. If you have an old 8/16 bit non-PC system in need of a good

  3. Re: 8" disks

    In article ,
    Dave.Dunfield@use.techsupport.link.on.my.website (Dave Dunfield) writes:
    >>Two quick questions.

    >>Can 22DISK do 8" disks on a PC disk controller?

    >>Does anyone still make the necessary adapter to connect an 8" drive
    >>to a PC controller?

    >>bill

    > Hi Bill,
    >
    > Electrically, an 8" drive is nearly identical to a 5.25" HD drive (same
    > rotational speed, same transfer rate). 22disk should work fine with an
    > 8" drive.
    >
    > I have on my "museum" site:
    >
    > http://www.parse.com/~ddunfield/museum/index.html
    >
    > complete details of an easy to make adapter to allow you to connect
    > an 8" drive to the 5.25" connector on a standard PC floppy cable.
    >
    > (Go to the disks/software-images link near the bottom of the main
    > page, and then look for the link to the 8" drive adapter).

    Thanks, I'll have a look. I was really looking for something already
    pu together, but I guess I can always warm up the soldering iron again.
    It's just that the eyes ain't what they were and hands aren't as steady
    as they were in the days when CPM was king. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  4. Re: 8" disks

    On 29 Jan 2006 23:56:40 GMT, bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:

    >Two quick questions.
    >
    >Can 22DISK do 8" disks on a PC disk controller?
    >
    >Does anyone still make the necessary adapter to connect an 8" drive
    >to a PC controller?
    >
    >bill

    It's doable if you pay attention. The biggest peice of information is
    the 5.25 floppy pinout is a subset of the 8" and the few remaining
    8" ones are not required. The rest of the problem is making cables
    and a bit of programming.

    Allison

  5. Re: 8" disks

    On 2006-01-30, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > Thanks, I'll have a look. I was really looking for something already
    > pu together, but I guess I can always warm up the soldering iron again.
    > It's just that the eyes ain't what they were and hands aren't as steady
    > as they were in the days when CPM was king. :-)

    D Bit makes an adapter for $40 that's just the ticket. It even DTRT with the
    signal to reduce write current.
    --
    Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.cx
    http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)

  6. Re: 8" disks

    In article ,
    Jay Maynard writes:
    > On 2006-01-30, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >> Thanks, I'll have a look. I was really looking for something already
    >> pu together, but I guess I can always warm up the soldering iron again.
    >> It's just that the eyes ain't what they were and hands aren't as steady
    >> as they were in the days when CPM was king. :-)

    > D Bit makes an adapter for $40 that's just the ticket. It even DTRT with the
    > signal to reduce write current.

    Damn, that was stupid of me. I should have thought of John right off
    the bat. I'll have to email him when I get into work today. Thanks for
    the reminder.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  7. Re: 8" disks

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 03:22:08 UTC, Jay Maynard
    wrote:

    > On 2006-01-30, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > > Thanks, I'll have a look. I was really looking for something already
    > > pu together, but I guess I can always warm up the soldering iron again.
    > > It's just that the eyes ain't what they were and hands aren't as steady
    > > as they were in the days when CPM was king. :-)

    > D Bit makes an adapter for $40 that's just the ticket. It even DTRT with the
    > signal to reduce write current.

    last year I tried to get in contact with DBit but got no answer.
    I tried several times and whant to get 4 adapters there was no
    responce.

    Sad

    --
    Greetings

    Fritz Chwolka

  8. Re: 8" disks

    In article ,
    fritz_chwolka@web.de (Fritz Chwolka) writes:
    > On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 03:22:08 UTC, Jay Maynard
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 2006-01-30, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >> > Thanks, I'll have a look. I was really looking for something already
    >> > pu together, but I guess I can always warm up the soldering iron again.
    >> > It's just that the eyes ain't what they were and hands aren't as steady
    >> > as they were in the days when CPM was king. :-)

    >> D Bit makes an adapter for $40 that's just the ticket. It even DTRT with the
    >> signal to reduce write current.

    > last year I tried to get in contact with DBit but got no answer.
    > I tried several times and whant to get 4 adapters there was no
    > responce.
    >
    > Sad

    Interesting. I have talked with John Wilson (who is DBit) fairly
    recently. He is usually good about responding. Unless there is
    something about your email that might make SPAM filters stop it!!
    I will try to get with him sometime today and I will tell him there
    may be other intetrested parties here in comp.os.cpm.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  9. Re: 8" disks

    I have been in touch with John Wilson aka DBit and while the adapters
    are out of stock, that does not mean he can't make more available.
    If people want to say something here I can relay backa quick count of
    any interest in the board. Then people can contact him directly at
    their liesure.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  10. Re: 8" disks

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    > I have been in touch with John Wilson aka DBit and while the adapters
    > are out of stock, that does not mean he can't make more available.
    > If people want to say something here I can relay backa quick count of
    > any interest in the board. Then people can contact him directly at
    > their liesure.
    >
    > bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    > bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

    I would be interested it two boards.

    John

  11. Re: 8" disks

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    > Thanks, I'll have a look. I was really looking for something already
    > pu together, but I guess I can always warm up the soldering iron again.
    > It's just that the eyes ain't what they were and hands aren't as steady
    > as they were in the days when CPM was king. :-)

    Tell me about it. I do circuitboards under a bright light and a bench
    magnifier .

    BTW, if you plan to hang a pair of drives with 24VDC direct-drive motors
    (later 1/2 height units) on it you'll need (2) switching diodes. D2 and
    D3 MOTOR ENABLE\ from the Compaticard want to be OR'ed onto one of the
    common lines (EN\?) going to the drives. Otherwise, you'll waste a
    bunch of time spinning motors up on the target when copying between them.

    (May have specifics wrong, as the adapter is buried somewhere ATM)

    Steve

  12. Re: 8" disks

    In article <43E196FB.62D5C4F9@guntersville.net>,
    "John C. Ellingboe" writes:
    > --------------DF7DAB0F4908D6D5919EE17A
    >
    > Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >>
    >> I have been in touch with John Wilson aka DBit and while the adapters
    >> are out of stock, that does not mean he can't make more available.
    >> If people want to say something here I can relay backa quick count of
    >> any interest in the board. Then people can contact him directly at
    >> their liesure.
    >>

    > I would be interested it two boards.

    Ok people. John Wilson (aka DBit) made 10 more boards. 5 are gone
    already. I would suggest getting in touch with him soonest if you
    need one. I understand he has chips for possibly 10 more after these
    last 5 go. Don't know how hard it is for him to find the chips he
    needs to build even more.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include