WANG 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppies - CP/M

This is a discussion on WANG 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppies - CP/M ; Is there anyone out there using a 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppy system ??? I acquired about 15 of them; some have data on them. Curious as to what is on them They all say "WANG" system diskettes, Software Etc ...

  1. WANG 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppies

    Is there anyone out there using a 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppy system ???
    I acquired about 15 of them; some have data on them. Curious as to what
    is on them
    They all say "WANG" system diskettes, Software Etc
    Bob
    USE
    trebor72@execpc.com

  2. Re: WANG 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppies

    On May 22, 6:56*am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    > Is there anyone out there using a 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppy system ???
    > I acquired about 15 of them; some have data on them. Curious as to what
    > is on them
    > They all say "WANG" system diskettes, Software Etc
    > Bob
    > USE
    > trebo...@execpc.com

    Hi
    The problem with hard sectored is that almost
    everyone does something different with their format.
    I have a machine that does 32 hard sectored that I
    can assure you won't be able to read your disk.
    My machine records 20 bit words.
    Unless you are ready to make something like dsp
    or PIC code, you'll need the same Wang type machine
    to read them.
    Figuring out formats takes time and a lot of experiments.
    I've been doing this for some other disk and only spend
    an hour or two a week on it. It has take me a couple months
    to make progess.
    Dwight

  3. Re: WANG 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppies

    dkelvey@hotmail.com wrote:
    (snip)

    > The problem with hard sectored is that almost
    > everyone does something different with their format.
    > I have a machine that does 32 hard sectored that I
    > can assure you won't be able to read your disk.
    > My machine records 20 bit words.
    > Unless you are ready to make something like dsp
    > or PIC code, you'll need the same Wang type machine
    > to read them.

    The other way is to just digitize the bits (transitions)
    coming out of the drive. Then you can use software instead
    of special hardware that isn't available. It does help to
    know the coding method, though.

    > Figuring out formats takes time and a lot of experiments.
    > I've been doing this for some other disk and only spend
    > an hour or two a week on it. It has take me a couple months
    > to make progess.

    -- glen

  4. Re: WANG 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppies

    On May 22, 8:56*am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    > Is there anyone out there using a 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppy system ???
    > I acquired about 15 of them; some have data on them. Curious as to what
    > is on them
    > They all say "WANG" system diskettes, Software Etc
    > Bob
    > USE
    > trebo...@execpc.com

    If they are actually disks from a Wang 2200 system and have a
    Catweasel card, you can use my program to read the disk contents. It
    is what I used to generate the disk images at:

    http://www.wang2200.org/vmedia.html

    There is also a python utility there for inspecting the directory and
    files on such disks.

    Hmm, looking at the web page, my Catweasel program isn't there. I
    thought it was. Contact me at frustum@pacbell.net and put "wang 2200"
    in the subject line to get my attention. Eventually I'll get around
    to putting the catweasel program online, but emailing it will be
    faster at this point. Or you could mail me the disks and I could
    digitize them for you.

  5. Re: WANG 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppies

    On May 22, 11:41*pm, "dkel...@hotmail.com"
    wrote:
    > *Figuring out formats takes time and a lot of experiments.
    > I've been doing this for some other disk and only spend
    > an hour or two a week on it. It has take me a couple months
    > to make progess.

    Dwight is right, it is a lot of work, and there are two parts to it.
    One part is figuring out how flux transitions are to be decoded into
    sector data. That is embedded in the Catweasel program I wrote to
    capture disk images.

    Then there the issue of how the sectors are organized into files and
    disk metadata. I have some documentation on the disk format used by
    Wang above the sector level. The Python utility I referenced earlier
    encapsulates that knowledge.

    http://www.wang2200.org/disk_org.html

  6. Re: WANG 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppies

    wrote in message
    > On May 22, 11:41 pm, "dkel...@hotmail.com"
    > wrote:

    > Then there the issue of how the sectors are organized into files and
    > disk metadata. I have some documentation on the disk format used by
    > Wang above the sector level. The Python utility I referenced earlier
    > encapsulates that knowledge.
    >
    > http://www.wang2200.org/disk_org.html

    Does this mean you're getting more free time to write emulators, too?
    I finally got a working ASR-33 and am hoping you'll finish the
    Wang 3300 emulator so it can use the serial port for I/O.

    Tom Lake

  7. Re: WANG 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppies

    frustum@pacbell.net wrote:
    > On May 22, 8:56 am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    >
    >> Is there anyone out there using a 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppy system ???
    >> I acquired about 15 of them; some have data on them. Curious as to what
    >> is on them
    >> They all say "WANG" system diskettes, Software Etc
    >>

    > If they are actually disks from a Wang 2200 system and have a
    > Catweasel card, you can use my program to read the disk contents. It
    > is what I used to generate the disk images at:
    >
    > http://www.wang2200.org/vmedia.html
    >
    > There is also a python utility there for inspecting the directory and
    > files on such disks.
    >
    > Hmm, looking at the web page, my Catweasel program isn't there. I
    > thought it was. Contact me at frustum@pacbell.net and put "wang 2200"
    > in the subject line to get my attention. Eventually I'll get around
    > to putting the catweasel program online, but emailing it will be
    > faster at this point. Or you could mail me the disks and I could
    > digitize them for you.

    If anyone is interested in the "WANG" Floppies please contact me. I
    thought they were standard SSSD.
    There are 15 of them, Nine are Data and Six are Blank
    A system Disk
    A software disk
    A Utility disk is marked Sys 5III rev 7.2,
    A Sort disk is marked Sys 5 Rev 2.5 703-0471 if that will help identify.
    A Software disk marked SYS 5 III Rev 3.2
    A System Disk file copy
    A Utility Disk SYS 5 III Rev 3.2
    Two System disks one created 6/10/86 and one Created 10/30/86.
    They come in a WANG box marked "WANG 0063 DISKETTES" Almost Pristine
    TIA Bob
    USE
    trebor72@execpc.com

  8. Re: WANG 32 Hard Sectored SSSD Floppies

    On May 26, 12:03*pm, "Tom Lake" wrote:
    > Does this mean you're getting more free time to write emulators, too?
    > I finally got a working ASR-33 and am hoping you'll finish theWang3300 emulator so it can use the serial port for I/O.
    >
    > Tom Lake

    Heh, no Tom, I'm still pretty booked. My Wang 3300 emulator is hasn't
    advanced much since the version I sent you back in december. It is
    still at the top of my list of "free time" activities, but I am in
    short supply of that.

+ Reply to Thread