DOS/65 for Ohio Scientific - CP/M

This is a discussion on DOS/65 for Ohio Scientific - CP/M ; Since it's so quiet right now... I'm thinking of trying this port but before I spend a lot of time on it, is there anyone out there already ahead of me on this? Bill Sudbrink...

  1. DOS/65 for Ohio Scientific

    Since it's so quiet right now...

    I'm thinking of trying this port but before I spend a lot of time on
    it, is there anyone out there already ahead of me on this?

    Bill Sudbrink

  2. Re: DOS/65 for Ohio Scientific

    In article bill@umsa7.ums.edu (Bill Sudbrink) writes:
    >Since it's so quiet right now...
    >
    >I'm thinking of trying this port but before I spend a lot of time on
    >it, is there anyone out there already ahead of me on this?
    >
    >Bill Sudbrink

    Sorry to follow up on my own message...

    I now see that there is not enough source code on the web site
    to do a build from. I also read some of the documents and they
    seem to indicate that an OSI implementation already exists.
    The web site is not maintained by the author. Does he read here?

    Bill Sudbrink

  3. Re: DOS/65 for Ohio Scientific

    Bill Sudbrink wrote:
    > In article bill@umsa7.ums.edu (Bill Sudbrink) writes:
    >> Since it's so quiet right now...
    >>
    >> I'm thinking of trying this port but before I spend a lot of time on
    >> it, is there anyone out there already ahead of me on this?
    >>
    >> Bill Sudbrink
    >>

    > Sorry to follow up on my own message...
    >
    > I now see that there is not enough source code on the web site
    > to do a build from. I also read some of the documents and they
    > seem to indicate that an OSI implementation already exists.
    > The web site is not maintained by the author. Does he read here?
    >
    > Bill Sudbrink

    Bill, I'm not sure what you mentioned here ... DOS/65 from Richard A.
    Leary or an other software ?
    If you are talking about the first one, where is the problem ?
    There is a lot of documentation there and also all needed source code
    files. And, finally, you can ask Richard for sure also.

    Regards
    Peter
    --
    * DOS/65 - a CP/M alike 6502 based OS, more infos at
    http://www.z80.eu/dos65.html

  4. Re: DOS/65 for Ohio Scientific

    In article <48354316$0$6776$9b4e6d93@newsspool2.arcor-online.net> Peter Dassow writes:
    >Bill Sudbrink wrote:
    >> In article bill@umsa7.ums.edu (Bill Sudbrink) writes:
    >>> Since it's so quiet right now...
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking of trying this port but before I spend a lot of time on
    >>> it, is there anyone out there already ahead of me on this?
    >>>
    >>> Bill Sudbrink
    >>>

    >> Sorry to follow up on my own message...
    >>
    >> I now see that there is not enough source code on the web site
    >> to do a build from. I also read some of the documents and they
    >> seem to indicate that an OSI implementation already exists.
    >> The web site is not maintained by the author. Does he read here?
    >>
    >> Bill Sudbrink
    >>

    >Bill, I'm not sure what you mentioned here ... DOS/65 from Richard A.
    >Leary or an other software ?

    Yes, DOS/65 From Richard Leary.

    >If you are talking about the first one, where is the problem ?
    >There is a lot of documentation there and also all needed source code
    >files.

    I don't see any source for the PEM. I don't see a binary either.

    > And, finally, you can ask Richard for sure also.

    That's what I was doing here.

    Bill

  5. Re: DOS/65 for Ohio Scientific

    "Bill Sudbrink" wrote in message
    > In article <48354316$0$6776$9b4e6d93@newsspool2.arcor-online.net> Peter
    > Dassow writes:
    >>Bill Sudbrink wrote:

    >>> Sorry to follow up on my own message...
    >>>
    >>> I now see that there is not enough source code on the web site
    >>> to do a build from. I also read some of the documents and they
    >>> seem to indicate that an OSI implementation already exists.
    >>> The web site is not maintained by the author. Does he read here?
    >>>
    >>> Bill Sudbrink
    >>>

    >>Bill, I'm not sure what you mentioned here ... DOS/65 from Richard A.
    >>Leary or an other software ?

    > Yes, DOS/65 From Richard Leary.
    >
    >>If you are talking about the first one, where is the problem ?
    >>There is a lot of documentation there and also all needed source code
    >>files.

    > I don't see any source for the PEM. I don't see a binary either.
    >
    >> And, finally, you can ask Richard for sure also.

    > That's what I was doing here.
    >
    > Bill

    Hi!

    PEM source code is part of SYSGEN along with CCM source code.

    OSI was a supported version and I still have OSI systems with either 8 inch
    or 5.25 inch floppies. I have not tried to get them up and running in many
    years.

    I can send the OSI specific source code (SIM etc.) to Peter for posting on
    his web site if that would be of use.

    Richard Leary

  6. Re: DOS/65 for Ohio Scientific

    In article "Rich Leary" writes:
    >Hi!
    >
    >PEM source code is part of SYSGEN along with CCM source code.

    Ah! Didn't think to look there. I just assumed sysgen had a table of locations
    to relocate.

    >OSI was a supported version and I still have OSI systems with either 8 inch
    >or 5.25 inch floppies. I have not tried to get them up and running in many
    >years.

    Yes, I got that impression from the documentation.

    >I can send the OSI specific source code (SIM etc.) to Peter for posting on
    >his web site if that would be of use.

    I would really appreciate that!

    Bill Sudbrink

  7. Re: DOS/65 for Ohio Scientific

    > In article "Rich Leary"
    > writes:
    >>Hi!
    >>
    >>PEM source code is part of SYSGEN along with CCM source code.

    > Ah! Didn't think to look there. I just assumed sysgen had a table of
    > locations
    > to relocate.
    >
    >>OSI was a supported version and I still have OSI systems with either 8
    >>inch
    >>or 5.25 inch floppies. I have not tried to get them up and running in many
    >>years.

    > Yes, I got that impression from the documentation.
    >
    >>I can send the OSI specific source code (SIM etc.) to Peter for posting on
    >>his web site if that would be of use.

    > I would really appreciate that!
    >
    > Bill Sudbrink

    Bill,

    It would help if you told me what OSI system you have (C1, C4, C8, or ?),
    video vs serial, 8 inch vs 5 inch, etc. I'll try to send the closest match
    to Peter and direct to you.

    I just went back and looked at the OSI specific manual (not posted on
    Peter's web site). It is not in PDF form and I also think that some of it is
    out of date. Also note that the OSI SIM never included the DOS/65 deblocking
    algorithm but that is not that big a deal since the OSI SIM always did full
    track buffering and at least handled individual record read and writes with
    a form of deblocking.

    In my systems I replaced the OSI ROM with my own that included the LOADER
    code. I may not have all the non-ROM LOADER code in my PC files but I'll see
    if I can find it. That is one reason it would be helpful to know your
    configuration in case I need to try to get one of my systems working to copy
    the "distribution" versions.

    Rich

  8. Re: DOS/65 for Ohio Scientific

    In article "Rich Leary" writes:
    >It would help if you told me what OSI system you have (C1, C4, C8, or ?),
    >video vs serial, 8 inch vs 5 inch, etc. I'll try to send the closest match
    >to Peter and direct to you.

    Actually, I have a number of systems, but I suppose my first target will be
    a C1P-MF... so that means 5 1/4" floppy, video. If you can't find that, I'll
    be happy to have anything to start from.

    >I just went back and looked at the OSI specific manual (not posted on
    >Peter's web site). It is not in PDF form and I also think that some of it is
    >out of date. Also note that the OSI SIM never included the DOS/65 deblocking
    >algorithm but that is not that big a deal since the OSI SIM always did full
    >track buffering and at least handled individual record read and writes with
    >a form of deblocking.
    >
    >In my systems I replaced the OSI ROM with my own that included the LOADER
    >code. I may not have all the non-ROM LOADER code in my PC files but I'll see
    >if I can find it. That is one reason it would be helpful to know your
    >configuration in case I need to try to get one of my systems working to copy
    >the "distribution" versions.

    It was my intention to do the following:

    1) Cross-platform assemble SIM, PEM and CCM into a binary image that _should_
    operate on the target.
    2) Convert the binary image into an ASCII stream suitable for the OSI
    "machine" monitor.
    3) Feed it to the target via the 'L' command through the serial port.
    4) Execute it (jump to warm start) and see if I get a command prompt.
    5) Write a program under OS/65D (Ohio Scientific's OS) to format a
    disk for your OS.
    6) Try some simple disk I/O (save, type, etc.).
    7) Write a bootstrap and finish things up.

    Thanks,
    Bill Sudbrink

  9. Re: DOS/65 for Ohio Scientific

    Bill,

    I will send you my C1P files directly. They are not the distribution files
    as they use my own ROM (source for that will also be sent so you can see the
    LOADER source).

    I will look for the distribution disk and will also try to get my C1P
    working but that may take some time.

    Rich

    > In article "Rich Leary"
    > writes:
    >>It would help if you told me what OSI system you have (C1, C4, C8, or ?),
    >>video vs serial, 8 inch vs 5 inch, etc. I'll try to send the closest match
    >>to Peter and direct to you.

    > Actually, I have a number of systems, but I suppose my first target will
    > be
    > a C1P-MF... so that means 5 1/4" floppy, video. If you can't find that,
    > I'll
    > be happy to have anything to start from.
    >
    >>I just went back and looked at the OSI specific manual (not posted on
    >>Peter's web site). It is not in PDF form and I also think that some of it
    >>is
    >>out of date. Also note that the OSI SIM never included the DOS/65
    >>deblocking
    >>algorithm but that is not that big a deal since the OSI SIM always did
    >>full
    >>track buffering and at least handled individual record read and writes
    >>with
    >>a form of deblocking.
    >>
    >>In my systems I replaced the OSI ROM with my own that included the LOADER
    >>code. I may not have all the non-ROM LOADER code in my PC files but I'll
    >>see
    >>if I can find it. That is one reason it would be helpful to know your
    >>configuration in case I need to try to get one of my systems working to
    >>copy
    >>the "distribution" versions.

    > It was my intention to do the following:
    >
    > 1) Cross-platform assemble SIM, PEM and CCM into a binary image that
    > _should_
    > operate on the target.
    > 2) Convert the binary image into an ASCII stream suitable for the OSI
    > "machine" monitor.
    > 3) Feed it to the target via the 'L' command through the serial port.
    > 4) Execute it (jump to warm start) and see if I get a command prompt.
    > 5) Write a program under OS/65D (Ohio Scientific's OS) to format a
    > disk for your OS.
    > 6) Try some simple disk I/O (save, type, etc.).
    > 7) Write a bootstrap and finish things up.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bill Sudbrink

+ Reply to Thread