SCP 86-Dos files available - CP/M

This is a discussion on SCP 86-Dos files available - CP/M ; Hello! I've finally had some free time, so I've tracked down some of the 86Dos files I have around and placed them on the web. http://www.datapackrat.com/86dos contains ASM.COM HEX2BIN.COM DEBUG.COM MON.ASM from 86Dos. If anyone can give me a disk ...

  1. SCP 86-Dos files available

    Hello!

    I've finally had some free time, so I've tracked down some of the 86Dos
    files
    I have around and placed them on the web.

    http://www.datapackrat.com/86dos

    contains
    ASM.COM
    HEX2BIN.COM
    DEBUG.COM
    MON.ASM
    from 86Dos.

    If anyone can give me a disk image for 86Dos, I'll see if I can get it
    running on modern hardware.

    Bill

  2. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    On May 14, 7:33*pm, "datapackrat" wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I've finally had some free time, so I've tracked down some of the 86Dos
    > files
    > I have around and placed them on the web.
    >
    > http://www.datapackrat.com/86dos
    >
    > contains
    > * *ASM.COM
    > * *HEX2BIN.COM
    > * *DEBUG.COM
    > * *MON.ASM
    > from 86Dos.
    >
    > If anyone can give me a disk image for 86Dos, I'll see if I can get it
    > running on modern hardware.
    >
    > Bill

    Thanks Bill, the .COM programs actually run under Windows XP, how
    about that for backward compatibility.

    I assmbled the Monitor with your SCP assembler, and have it somewhat
    working in the latest version of SIMH/AltairZ80:

    ?>P 8086 Monitor 1.5
    >DFF800

    FF800 FC 33 C0 8E D0 8E D8 8E-C0 BF 9C 01 B9 0E 00 F3 |3@.P.X.@?..
    9..s
    FF810 AB 80 0E B7 01 02 B1 04-B0 40 BF AC 01 F3 AB C6 +..7..1.0@?,.s
    +F
    FF820 06 A5 01 0C BC 9C 01 B0-17 E6 F5 B0 F3 E6 F4 B8 .%..<..
    0.fu0sft8
    FF830 84 05 E7 F4 BE 33 07 BA-F0 00 2E AC 8A C8 E3
    05 ..gt>3...,.Hc.
    FF840 2E AC EE E2 FB 42 80 FA-F8 75 EF E8 19 00 BE
    F5 .,nb{B.zxuoh..>u
    FF850 07 B8 23 E8 E7 F4 B0 0D-E6 F5 2E AD E6 F4 8A C4 .8#hgt0.fu.-
    ft.D
    FF860 E6 F4 E8 02 00 EB F3 E8-98 00 E8 95 00 3C 0D 74
    fth..ksh..h..<.t
    FF870 01 C3 BF 18 01 C6 05 0D-E4 FF A8 01 74 03 E9 F5 .C?..F..d.
    (.t.iu

    The configuration for SIMH is as follows:

    ; SIMH/AltairZ80 Configuration File for SCP 8086MON v1.5
    set cpu 8086

    ; load SCP Monitor
    load mon.com 0
    load mon.com ff800

    ; Set serial port for SCP
    set sio port=f6/0/0/0/0/F/0/T
    set sio port=f7/0/2/0/1/F/0/F

    ; Start monitor, press enter to get '>' prompt.
    go ffff0

    -Howard

  3. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    datapackrat wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I've finally had some free time, so I've tracked down some of the 86Dos files
    > I have around and placed them on the web.
    >
    > http://www.datapackrat.com/86dos
    >
    > contains
    > ASM.COM
    > HEX2BIN.COM
    > DEBUG.COM
    > MON.ASM
    > from 86Dos.
    >
    > If anyone can give me a disk image for 86Dos, I'll see if I can get it
    > running on modern hardware.

    I am working on getting a disk Image. I need a COMPATICARD or equivalent
    to be able to get an 8" drive working on a PC.
    So Far I can see the drive but it won't come ready with the FDC's I have.
    I have a setup with CON-DOS XM 6.2 on a HD on a 286 PC M/B. I can write
    to the 8" but not correctly using Con-Dos.
    Doesn't seem to care about READY. I strapped some LED's across pin 34 of
    the 5.25 side of my Adapter and pins 8,12,22 on the 50 Pin side. LED's
    for 34 and 22 start out "ON" but go out when the disk is accessed either
    by DOS or CON-DOS. So there must be something else needed for the DOS to
    get the drive to come ready???
    If I can get the DOS to access the 8" then I can use DEBUG to transfer
    the Image to a 5.25 360k floppy and work from there.
    Bob in Wisconsin
    USE
    trebor72@execpc.com

  4. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    datapackrat wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I've finally had some free time, so I've tracked down some of the 86Dos
    > files
    > I have around and placed them on the web.
    >
    > http://www.datapackrat.com/86dos
    >
    > contains
    > ASM.COM
    > HEX2BIN.COM
    > DEBUG.COM
    > MON.ASM
    > from 86Dos.
    >
    > If anyone can give me a disk image for 86Dos, I'll see if I can get it
    > running on modern hardware.

    I Was able to get Mon.asm but doing a C/P to wordpad
    But how do I download the others to my PC HD

  5. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    On May 15, 5:10*am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    > datapackrat wrote:
    > > Hello!

    > > I've finally had some free time, so I've tracked down some of the 86Dos
    > > files
    > > I have around and placed them on the web.

    > >http://www.datapackrat.com/86dos

    > > contains
    > > * *ASM.COM
    > > * *HEX2BIN.COM
    > > * *DEBUG.COM
    > > * *MON.ASM
    > > from 86Dos.

    > > If anyone can give me a disk image for 86Dos, I'll see if I can get it
    > > running on modern hardware.

    > I Was able to get Mon.asm but doing a C/P to wordpad
    > But how do I download the others to my PC HD

    in Internet explorer, right click on the filename and "save target as"

  6. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    Howard Harte wrote:
    > On May 15, 5:10 am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    >
    >> datapackrat wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello!
    >>>
    >>> I've finally had some free time, so I've tracked down some of the 86Dos
    >>> files
    >>> I have around and placed them on the web.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.datapackrat.com/86dos
    >>>
    >>> contains
    >>> ASM.COM
    >>> HEX2BIN.COM
    >>> DEBUG.COM
    >>> MON.ASM
    >>> from 86Dos.
    >>>
    >>> If anyone can give me a disk image for 86Dos, I'll see if I can get it
    >>> running on modern hardware.
    >>>

    >> I Was able to get Mon.asm but doing a C/P to wordpad
    >> But how do I download the others to my PC HD
    >>

    > in Internet explorer, right click on the filename and "save target as"

    Thanks;
    GOT EM
    I was using Firefox and it didn't give me that option
    Bob

  7. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    86-DOS essentially IS MS-DOS. Presumably if you can find a copy of
    MS-DOS 1.0, you would be almost there with very little work.

    datapackrat wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I've finally had some free time, so I've tracked down some of the 86Dos
    > files
    > I have around and placed them on the web.
    >
    > http://www.datapackrat.com/86dos
    >
    > contains
    > ASM.COM
    > HEX2BIN.COM
    > DEBUG.COM
    > MON.ASM
    > from 86Dos.
    >
    > If anyone can give me a disk image for 86Dos, I'll see if I can get it
    > running on modern hardware.
    >
    > Bill

  8. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    (someone wrote)

    Robert J. Stevens wrote:

    > I was using Firefox and it didn't give me that option

    It seems to be "save link as" in Firefox, but it does
    the same thing.

    The other choice, "copy link location," copies the link to
    the clipboard, such that you can paste it somewhere.
    One place is to a command window with a wget command.

    -- glen

  9. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    On May 15, 11:09*am, Barry Watzman wrote:
    > 86-DOS essentially IS MS-DOS. *Presumably if you can find a copy of
    > MS-DOS 1.0, you would be almost there with very little work.
    >
    > datapackrat wrote:
    > > Hello!

    > > I've finally had some free time, so I've tracked down some of the 86Dos
    > > files
    > > I have around and placed them on the web.

    > >http://www.datapackrat.com/86dos

    > > contains
    > > * *ASM.COM
    > > * *HEX2BIN.COM
    > > * *DEBUG.COM
    > > * *MON.ASM
    > > from 86Dos.

    > > If anyone can give me a disk image for 86Dos, I'll see if I can get it
    > > running on modern hardware.

    > > Bill

    On MS-DOS 1.0 vs 86-DOS, I guess it depends on the goal. For me, I'd
    like to get 86-DOS running on simulated hardware, with the eventual
    goal of being able to run it on a real systemlike a CompuPro. MS-DOS
    could be made to run on SIMH as well, by simulating PC hardware, and
    could even be made to run on a CompuPro by rewriting Io.SYS, but 86-
    DOS bridges the gap.

  10. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
    > (someone wrote)
    >>> in Internet explorer, right click on the filename and "save target as"

    > Robert J. Stevens wrote:
    >
    >> I was using Firefox and it didn't give me that option

    > It seems to be "save link as" in Firefox, but it does the same thing.
    > The other choice, "copy link location," copies the link to the
    > clipboard, such that you can paste it somewhere.
    > One place is to a command window with a wget command.

    I got the Mon.Asm Assembled using the ASM.Com and ran Hex2Bin; but how
    do I get it to run
    On what Machine will it run
    Also can that code be put on an EPROM.
    I might be able to get it over to my NEC APC and try MS-DOS 2.0
    I can put it on a 5.25 then copy to a 8" SSSD CP/M format floppy then
    MS-DOS 2.0 on the NEC will copy from the CP/M floppy to the Dos Floppy
    using RDCPM.
    Too Bad there isn't a reverse program that will copy a File from the NEC
    DOS back to a SSSD CP/M 8" floppy.
    Is there anyone who might be able to reverse engineer RDCPM if I can get
    it back to CP/M
    I should be able to de-assemble using DEBUG. I'm a Newbie there put
    Practice makes Perfect.
    I have an image copy on the NEC of the 8" SSSD SCP 86-DOS V1.0
    I used DEBUG to read in the 8" and saved to a file. its about 132000 bytes.
    I put it on a DOS formatted SSSD 8" but at this point can't read it
    anywhere else except on the NEC.
    If I get my COMPATICARD PC Running then I should be able to read 8" SSSD
    Floppies
    TIA
    Bob

  11. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    On May 16, 3:53*am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    > glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
    > > (someone wrote)

    > > Robert J. Stevens wrote:

    > >> I was using Firefox and it didn't give me that option

    > > It seems to be "save link as" in Firefox, but it does the same thing.
    > > The other choice, "copy link location," copies the link to the
    > > clipboard, such that you can paste it somewhere.
    > > One place is to a command window with a wget command.

    > I got the Mon.Asm Assembled using the ASM.Com and ran Hex2Bin; but how
    > do I get it to run
    > On what Machine will it run
    > Also can that code be put on an EPROM.
    > I might be able to get it over to my NEC APC and try MS-DOS 2.0
    > I can put it on a 5.25 then copy to a 8" SSSD CP/M format floppy then
    > MS-DOS 2.0 on the NEC will copy from the CP/M floppy to the Dos Floppy
    > using RDCPM.
    > Too Bad there isn't a reverse program that will copy a File from the NEC
    > DOS back to a SSSD CP/M 8" floppy.
    > Is there anyone who might be able to reverse engineer RDCPM if I can get
    > it back to CP/M
    > I should be able to de-assemble using DEBUG. I'm a Newbie there put
    > Practice makes Perfect.
    > I have an image copy on the NEC of the 8" SSSD SCP 86-DOS V1.0
    > I used DEBUG to read in the 8" and saved to a file. its about 132000 bytes..
    > I put it on a DOS formatted SSSD 8" but at this point can't read it
    > anywhere else except on the NEC.
    > If I get my COMPATICARD PC Running then I should be able to read 8" SSSD
    > Floppies
    > TIA
    > Bob

    Hello Bob,

    The monitor is 2k, so you can burn it into a 2716 or larger EPROM. The
    reset vector for the 8086 is at FFFF0h, and that is the entry point
    into the monitor, so if you are using a 2716, you would set the ROM
    base address to FF800h.

    It should work with any 8086 CPU board provided that the board, but if
    it's a dual CPU board like the CompuPro, then it would have to be
    configured to start with the 8086 active.

    The monitor expects a SCP300E support board for the I/O, but it really
    only uses the UART at F6-F7h, and it checks a "sense switch" at FFh to
    determine whether to enter the monitor or jump directly to the disk
    bootstrap.

    If there is no I/O port at FFh, then the CPU will most likely read FFh
    from the floating data bus and jump to the disk bootstrap.

    Probably the easiest thing to do is modify the monitor for your own
    UART, and skip the sense switch check.

  12. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    On May 16, 8:41*am, Howard Harte wrote:
    > On May 16, 3:53*am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    >

    > > glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
    > > > (someone wrote)

    > > > It seems to be "save link as" in Firefox, but it does the same thing.
    > > > The other choice, "copy link location," copies the link to the
    > > > clipboard, such that you can paste it somewhere.
    > > > One place is to a command window with a wget command.

    > > I got the Mon.Asm Assembled using the ASM.Com and ran Hex2Bin; but how
    > > do I get it to run
    > > On what Machine will it run
    > > Also can that code be put on an EPROM.
    > > I might be able to get it over to my NEC APC and try MS-DOS 2.0
    > > I can put it on a 5.25 then copy to a 8" SSSD CP/M format floppy then
    > > MS-DOS 2.0 on the NEC will copy from the CP/M floppy to the Dos Floppy
    > > using RDCPM.
    > > Too Bad there isn't a reverse program that will copy a File from the NEC
    > > DOS back to a SSSD CP/M 8" floppy.
    > > Is there anyone who might be able to reverse engineer RDCPM if I can get
    > > it back to CP/M
    > > I should be able to de-assemble using DEBUG. I'm a Newbie there put
    > > Practice makes Perfect.
    > > I have an image copy on the NEC of the 8" SSSD SCP 86-DOS V1.0
    > > I used DEBUG to read in the 8" and saved to a file. its about 132000 bytes.
    > > I put it on a DOS formatted SSSD 8" but at this point can't read it
    > > anywhere else except on the NEC.
    > > If I get my COMPATICARD PC Running then I should be able to read 8" SSSD
    > > Floppies
    > > TIA
    > > Bob

    > Hello Bob,
    >
    > The monitor is 2k, so you can burn it into a 2716 or larger EPROM. The
    > reset vector for the 8086 is at FFFF0h, and that is the entry point
    > into the monitor, so if you are using a 2716, you would set the ROM
    > base address to FF800h.
    >
    > It should work with any 8086 CPU board provided that the board, but if
    > it's a dual CPU board like the CompuPro, then it would have to be
    > configured to start with the 8086 active.
    >
    > The monitor expects a SCP300E support board for the I/O, but it really
    > only uses the UART at F6-F7h, and it checks a "sense switch" at FFh to
    > determine whether to enter the monitor or jump directly to the disk
    > bootstrap.
    >
    > If there is no I/O port at FFh, then the CPU will most likely read FFh
    > from the floating data bus and jump to the disk bootstrap.
    >
    > Probably the easiest thing to do is modify the monitor for your own
    > UART, and skip the sense switch check.

    sIMH/AltairZ80 is running the SCP 8086 monitor fine now. There was a
    bug in the 8086 simulation with the segment override prefix
    instructions with interrupts enabled, that I fixed. I also added a
    Cromemco 4/16/64FDC to the simulator, complete with the RDOS monitor.
    It can run Cromemco CDOS and CP/M from simulated 8" or 5" floppies, so
    I belieeve SIMH is ready to boot 86DOS when we recover the disk image.

  13. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    On May 26, 9:22*am, Howard Harte wrote:
    > On May 16, 8:41*am, Howard Harte wrote:

    > > > I got the Mon.Asm Assembled using the ASM.Com and ran Hex2Bin; but how
    > > > do I get it to run
    > > > On what Machine will it run
    > > > Also can that code be put on an EPROM.
    > > > I might be able to get it over to my NEC APC and try MS-DOS 2.0
    > > > I can put it on a 5.25 then copy to a 8" SSSD CP/M format floppy then
    > > > MS-DOS 2.0 on the NEC will copy from the CP/M floppy to the Dos Floppy
    > > > using RDCPM.
    > > > Too Bad there isn't a reverse program that will copy a File from the NEC
    > > > DOS back to a SSSD CP/M 8" floppy.
    > > > Is there anyone who might be able to reverse engineer RDCPM if I can get
    > > > it back to CP/M
    > > > I should be able to de-assemble using DEBUG. I'm a Newbie there put
    > > > Practice makes Perfect.
    > > > I have an image copy on the NEC of the 8" SSSD SCP 86-DOS V1.0
    > > > I used DEBUG to read in the 8" and saved to a file. its about 132000 bytes.
    > > > I put it on a DOS formatted SSSD 8" but at this point can't read it
    > > > anywhere else except on the NEC.
    > > > If I get my COMPATICARD PC Running then I should be able to read 8" SSSD
    > > > Floppies
    > > > TIA
    > > > Bob

    > > Hello Bob,

    > > The monitor is 2k, so you can burn it into a 2716 or larger EPROM. The
    > > reset vector for the 8086 is at FFFF0h, and that is the entry point
    > > into the monitor, so if you are using a 2716, you would set the ROM
    > > base address to FF800h.

    > > It should work with any 8086 CPU board provided that the board, but if
    > > it's a dual CPU board like the CompuPro, then it would have to be
    > > configured to start with the 8086 active.

    > > The monitor expects a SCP300E support board for the I/O, but it really
    > > only uses the UART at F6-F7h, and it checks a "sense switch" at FFh to
    > > determine whether to enter the monitor or jump directly to the disk
    > > bootstrap.

    > > If there is no I/O port at FFh, then the CPU will most likely read FFh
    > > from the floating data bus and jump to the disk bootstrap.

    > > Probably the easiest thing to do is modify the monitor for your own
    > > UART, and skip the sense switch check.

    > sIMH/AltairZ80 is running the SCP 8086 monitor fine now. *There was a
    > bug in the 8086 simulation with the segment override prefix
    > instructions with interrupts enabled, that I fixed. *I also added a
    > Cromemco 4/16/64FDC to the simulator, complete with the RDOS monitor.
    > It can run Cromemco CDOS and CP/M from simulated 8" or 5" floppies, so
    > I belieeve SIMH is ready to boot 86DOS when we recover the disk image.

    some 86-DOS manuals are scanned in PDF format on:

    Www.patersontech.com

    Very interesting reading.

  14. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    > >*I also added a
    > > Cromemco 4/16/64FDC to the simulator, complete with the RDOS monitor.
    > > It can run Cromemco CDOS and CP/M from simulated 8" or 5" floppies, so
    > > I belieeve SIMH is ready to boot 86DOS when we recover the disk image.

    > some 86-DOS manuals are scanned in PDF format on:
    >
    > Www.patersontech.com
    >
    > Very interesting reading.- Hide quoted text -

    The SCP 86-DOS Disk image and simulator are available on http://www.86dos.org.
    Thanks to Robert J. Stevens for providing the disk.

  15. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    On Jun 6, 10:00*am, Howard Harte wrote:
    > > >*I also added a
    > > > Cromemco 4/16/64FDC to the simulator, complete with the RDOS monitor.
    > > > It can run Cromemco CDOS and CP/M from simulated 8" or 5" floppies, so
    > > > I belieeve SIMH is ready to boot 86DOS when we recover the disk image.

    > > some 86-DOS manuals are scanned in PDF format on:

    > > Www.patersontech.com

    > > Very interesting reading.- Hide quoted text -

    > The SCP 86-DOS Disk image and simulator are available onhttp://www.86dos.org.
    > Thanks to Robert J. Stevens for providing the disk.

    Thanks Howard and Robert!

    Interesting indeed... life before int21h was call 5.... ah, but we
    knew that.

    A:edlin init.asm

    EDLIN version 1.00
    End of input file
    *1,20l

    53:
    54: SYSTEM: EQU 5
    55: SELDRV: EQU 14
    56: SIDNUM: EQU TRKNUM+1
    57: SECNUM: EQU SIDNUM+1
    58:
    59: ORG 100H
    60: PUT 100H
    *61,90l
    61:
    62: MOV BX,PATTERN
    63: MOV DX,PATTAB
    64: CALL MAKE ;Pattern for index mark and
    one sector
    65: MOV CL,SECCNT-1 ;Repeat once for each
    remaining sector
    66: MAKSEC:
    67: MOV DX,SECPAT
    68: CALL MAKE
    69: DEC CL
    70: JNZ MAKSEC
    71: CALL MAKE
    72: ;Put in sequential sector numbers
    73: MOV AL,1 ;Start with sector number 1
    74: MOV CL,AL ;Add one to each succeeding
    sector number
    75: MOV BX,PATTERN+SECNUM
    76: CALL PUTSEC
    77: MOV CL,9
    78: MOV DX,HEADER
    79: CALL SYSTEM
    80: EACH:

  16. Re: SCP 86-Dos files available

    On Jun 6, 10:13*am, s_dubrov...@yahoo.com wrote:

    > > > some 86-DOS manuals are scanned in PDF format on:

    > > > Www.patersontech.com

    > > > Very interesting reading.- Hide quoted text -

    > > The SCP 86-DOS Disk image and simulator are available onhttp://www.86dos..org.
    > > Thanks to Robert J. Stevens for providing the disk.

    > Thanks Howard and Robert!
    >
    > Interesting indeed... life before int21h was call 5.... ah, but we
    > knew that.
    >
    > A:edlin init.asm
    >
    > EDLIN *version 1.00
    > End of input file
    > *1,20l

    > * * 53:
    > * * 54: SYSTEM: EQU * * 5
    > * * 55: SELDRV: EQU * * 14
    > * * 56: SIDNUM: EQU * * TRKNUM+1
    > * * 57: SECNUM: EQU * * SIDNUM+1
    > * * 58:
    > * * 59: * * * * ORG * * 100H
    > * * 60: * * * * PUT * * 100H
    > *61,90l
    > * * 61:
    > * * 62: * * * * MOV * * BX,PATTERN
    > * * 63: * * * * MOV * * DX,PATTAB
    > * * 64: * * * * CALL * *MAKE * * * * * *;Pattern for index mark and
    > one sector
    > * * 65: * * * * MOV * * CL,SECCNT-1 * * ;Repeat once for each
    > remaining sector
    > * * 66: MAKSEC:
    > * * 67: * * * * MOV * * DX,SECPAT
    > * * 68: * * * * CALL * *MAKE
    > * * 69: * * * * DEC * * CL
    > * * 70: * * * * JNZ * * MAKSEC
    > * * 71: * * * * CALL * *MAKE
    > * * 72: ;Put in sequential sector numbers
    > * * 73: * * * * MOV * * AL,1 * * * * * *;Startwith sector number 1
    > * * 74: * * * * MOV * * CL,AL * * * * * ;Add oneto each succeeding
    > sector number
    > * * 75: * * * * MOV * * BX,PATTERN+SECNUM
    > * * 76: * * * * CALL * *PUTSEC
    > * * 77: * * * * MOV * * CL,9
    > * * 78: * * * * MOV * * DX,HEADER
    > * * 79: * * * * CALL * *SYSTEM
    > * * 80: EACH:

    I have extracted all of the 86-DOS files using SIMH and put them into
    a ZIP file on www.86dos.org

    Now it should be possible to retarget 86-DOS to other hardware by re-
    writing DOSIO.ASM.

    Anyone have other versions of 86-DOS or manuals they'd be willing to
    copy or scan?

+ Reply to Thread