Groups for CP/M on Apple systems started - CP/M

This is a discussion on Groups for CP/M on Apple systems started - CP/M ; Hi, y'all! This afternoon I decided to start an Apple CP/M group. I started with Yahoo! groups because I've had some experience running a Yahoo! group. So the Yahoo! group "Apple CPM" now exists. But the automated system at Yahoo! ...

  1. Groups for CP/M on Apple systems started

    Hi, y'all!

    This afternoon I decided to start an Apple CP/M group. I started
    with Yahoo! groups because I've had some experience running a Yahoo!
    group. So the Yahoo! group "Apple CPM" now exists. But the automated
    system at Yahoo! objected to the use of "CP/M" because "the use of
    'CP' is not allowed". So I went to Google groups. They did allow the
    use of "Apple CP/M" so there is now an "Apple CP/M" Google group.

    However, Google groups apparently doesn't allow for a directory
    structure in its file area. Yahoo! Groups does. I was planning on
    having a directory for Macintosh and Apple II and subdirectories for
    software for the various Apple II CPU cards within the Apple II
    directory.

    I'm not happy that Yahoo! doesn't allow "CP/M" to appear in the
    group's name. But I apparently can't build the directory structure I
    was hoping for in the Google group. So, I'm undecided about which
    group to spend my time on. Gentle reader, your input would be
    appreciated.

    Access to either group is restricted, primarily to foil spammers.

    Willi

  2. Re: Groups for CP/M on Apple systems started

    A2Pro wrote:

    > Hi, y'all!
    >
    > This afternoon I decided to start an Apple CP/M group. I started
    > with Yahoo! groups because I've had some experience running a Yahoo!
    > group. So the Yahoo! group "Apple CPM" now exists. But the automated
    > system at Yahoo! objected to the use of "CP/M" because "the use of
    > 'CP' is not allowed". So I went to Google groups. They did allow the
    > use of "Apple CP/M" so there is now an "Apple CP/M" Google group.
    >
    > However, Google groups apparently doesn't allow for a directory
    > structure in its file area. Yahoo! Groups does. I was planning on
    > having a directory for Macintosh and Apple II and subdirectories for
    > software for the various Apple II CPU cards within the Apple II
    > directory.
    >
    > I'm not happy that Yahoo! doesn't allow "CP/M" to appear in the
    > group's name. But I apparently can't build the directory structure I
    > was hoping for in the Google group. So, I'm undecided about which
    > group to spend my time on. Gentle reader, your input would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Access to either group is restricted, primarily to foil spammers.
    >
    > Willi

    I remember using Apple CP/M on an Apple 2 clone back in the early '80s. It
    had 2 126K 5 1/4 inch floppies and 48 K of ram. I used to use dbaseII,
    Wordstar, and CalcStar on it. Liked it way better than Apple II software,
    and the screen had an 80 character display, compared to 40 for Apple.

    I think I still have copies of some of that early stuff on floppy...

    Bob
    --
    bob@rsmits.ca (Robert Smits, Ladysmith BC)

    "I'm not one of those who think Bill Gates is the devil. I simply suspect
    that if Microsoft ever met up with the devil, it wouldn't need an
    interpreter." - Nicholas Petreley

  3. Re: Groups for CP/M on Apple systems started

    Robert Smits wrote:
    > A2Pro wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, y'all!
    >>
    >> This afternoon I decided to start an Apple CP/M group. I started
    >> with Yahoo! groups because I've had some experience running a Yahoo!
    >> group. So the Yahoo! group "Apple CPM" now exists. But the automated
    >> system at Yahoo! objected to the use of "CP/M" because "the use of
    >> 'CP' is not allowed". So I went to Google groups. They did allow the
    >> use of "Apple CP/M" so there is now an "Apple CP/M" Google group.
    >>
    >> However, Google groups apparently doesn't allow for a directory
    >> structure in its file area. Yahoo! Groups does. I was planning on
    >> having a directory for Macintosh and Apple II and subdirectories for
    >> software for the various Apple II CPU cards within the Apple II
    >> directory.
    >>
    >> I'm not happy that Yahoo! doesn't allow "CP/M" to appear in the
    >> group's name. But I apparently can't build the directory structure I
    >> was hoping for in the Google group. So, I'm undecided about which
    >> group to spend my time on. Gentle reader, your input would be
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> Access to either group is restricted, primarily to foil spammers.
    >>
    >> Willi

    > I remember using Apple CP/M on an Apple 2 clone back in the early '80s. It
    > had 2 126K 5 1/4 inch floppies and 48 K of ram. I used to use dbaseII,
    > Wordstar, and CalcStar on it. Liked it way better than Apple II software,
    > and the screen had an 80 character display, compared to 40 for Apple.
    >
    > I think I still have copies of some of that early stuff on floppy...
    >
    > Bob
    > --
    > bob@rsmits.ca (Robert Smits, Ladysmith BC)
    >
    > "I'm not one of those who think Bill Gates is the devil. I simply suspect
    > that if Microsoft ever met up with the devil, it wouldn't need an
    > interpreter." - Nicholas Petreley

    Interesting Fact:

    In 1981, half of all the CP/M software running in the *World* was on
    Apple ][ with Z80 cards!

  4. Re: Groups for CP/M on Apple systems started

    On 2008-07-02 08:10:14 -0500, jon said:

    > Robert Smits wrote:
    >> A2Pro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, y'all!
    >>>
    >>> This afternoon I decided to start an Apple CP/M group. I started
    >>> with Yahoo! groups because I've had some experience running a Yahoo!
    >>> group. So the Yahoo! group "Apple CPM" now exists. But the automated
    >>> system at Yahoo! objected to the use of "CP/M" because "the use of
    >>> 'CP' is not allowed". So I went to Google groups. They did allow the
    >>> use of "Apple CP/M" so there is now an "Apple CP/M" Google group.
    >>>
    >>> However, Google groups apparently doesn't allow for a directory
    >>> structure in its file area. Yahoo! Groups does. I was planning on
    >>> having a directory for Macintosh and Apple II and subdirectories for
    >>> software for the various Apple II CPU cards within the Apple II
    >>> directory.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not happy that Yahoo! doesn't allow "CP/M" to appear in the
    >>> group's name. But I apparently can't build the directory structure I
    >>> was hoping for in the Google group. So, I'm undecided about which
    >>> group to spend my time on. Gentle reader, your input would be
    >>> appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Access to either group is restricted, primarily to foil spammers.
    >>>
    >>> Willi

    >> I remember using Apple CP/M on an Apple 2 clone back in the early '80s. It
    >> had 2 126K 5 1/4 inch floppies and 48 K of ram. I used to use dbaseII,
    >> Wordstar, and CalcStar on it. Liked it way better than Apple II software,
    >> and the screen had an 80 character display, compared to 40 for Apple.
    >>
    >> I think I still have copies of some of that early stuff on floppy...
    >>
    >> Bob
    >> --
    >> bob@rsmits.ca (Robert Smits, Ladysmith BC)
    >>
    >> "I'm not one of those who think Bill Gates is the devil. I simply suspect
    >> that if Microsoft ever met up with the devil, it wouldn't need an
    >> interpreter." - Nicholas Petreley
    >>

    > Interesting Fact:
    >
    > In 1981, half of all the CP/M software running in the *World* was on
    > Apple ][ with Z80 cards!

    I had a blast with my ][c when it was still new and georgous (still
    have it). Had an Applied Engineering Z Card, with an added 512? K of
    ram - it was huge, for the times. The AE cp/m was either pure 2.2, or
    quite close to it. Lotsa fun.

    I have the OSX port of Yaze-ag ready in UB; all ag has to do is test
    it on PPC. It works fine on 10.4 and 10.5 Intel.

    An Apple CP/M group would really be fun.

+ Reply to Thread