CP/M 86 as a web server? - CP/M

This is a discussion on CP/M 86 as a web server? - CP/M ; I was looking at this small MSDOS based webserver: http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/programs.html and was wondering if it would be possible (if you got the source code) to create a cp/m 86 version and run a web server under cp/m 86? Bill H...

  1. CP/M 86 as a web server?

    I was looking at this small MSDOS based webserver:
    http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/programs.html and was wondering if
    it would be possible (if you got the source code) to create a cp/m 86
    version and run a web server under cp/m 86?

    Bill H

  2. Re: CP/M 86 as a web server?

    On Wed, 7 May 2008 14:52:54 -0700 (PDT), Bill H
    wrote:

    >I was looking at this small MSDOS based webserver:
    >http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/programs.html and was wondering if
    >it would be possible (if you got the source code) to create a cp/m 86
    >version and run a web server under cp/m 86?
    >
    >Bill H

    Web server is fairly easy... whats missing is the networking stack to
    get the web page out.

    However there are plenty of sources for IP stacks out there so it's
    a doable project.

    Allison

  3. Re: CP/M 86 as a web server?

    On May 7, 6:36*pm, no.s...@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 May 2008 14:52:54 -0700 (PDT), Bill H
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I was looking at this small MSDOS based webserver:
    > >http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/programs.htmland was wondering if
    > >it would be possible (if you got the source code) to create a cp/m 86
    > >version and run a web server under cp/m 86?

    > >Bill H

    > Web server is fairly easy... whats missing is the networking stack to
    > get the web page out.
    >
    > However there are plenty of sources for *IP stacks out there so it's
    > a doable project.
    >
    > Allison

    Am I wrong in assuming you could take Dos source and make it work
    under CP/M 86? Even including IRQ's?

    Bill H

  4. Re: CP/M 86 as a web server?

    On Wed, 7 May 2008 15:58:52 -0700 (PDT), Bill H
    wrote:

    >On May 7, 6:36*pm, no.s...@no.uce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >> On Wed, 7 May 2008 14:52:54 -0700 (PDT), Bill H
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I was looking at this small MSDOS based webserver:
    >> >http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/programs.htmland was wondering if
    >> >it would be possible (if you got the source code) to create a cp/m 86
    >> >version and run a web server under cp/m 86?

    >> >Bill H

    >> Web server is fairly easy... whats missing is the networking stack to
    >> get the web page out.
    >>
    >> However there are plenty of sources for *IP stacks out there so it's
    >> a doable project.
    >>
    >> Allison

    >Am I wrong in assuming you could take Dos source and make it work
    >under CP/M 86? Even including IRQ's?
    >
    >Bill H

    I think you'd have a resonable shot at it with that approach. Never
    tried to but there are IP stacks out there for free and thats the
    real critical part to do it. Then creating a socket address 80 to
    listen to for requests and all are possible. There are plenty of
    really small micros serving simple pages so it's certainly
    doable.

    There is nothing about CP/M86 (or CP/M80) to prevent it.

    A while back there was a discussion of web browser under CP/M 80
    and thats tough for anything but text due to limited graphic support.
    However... CP/M80 running UIP or one of the other lightweight stacks
    could serve out web pages and that is not near as tough as a web
    browser. There is even code to support that or enough peices to make
    it easier. That might be a project I'd participate in.

    Allison

+ Reply to Thread