Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least a SSSD8" drive - CP/M

This is a discussion on Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least a SSSD8" drive - CP/M ; Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least a SSSD 8" drive attached that could try to read my 8" SSSD SCP 86-dos and convert to a 5.25 so a disk Image could be made ???? Bob ...

  1. Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least a SSSD8" drive

    Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least a SSSD 8"
    drive attached that could try to read my 8" SSSD SCP 86-dos and convert
    to a 5.25 so a disk Image could be made ????
    Bob in Wisconsin

  2. Re: Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least aSSSD 8" drive

    On May 6, 8:58 am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    > Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least a SSSD 8"
    > drive attached that could try to read my 8" SSSD SCP 86-dos and convert
    > to a 5.25 so a disk Image could be made ????
    > Bob in Wisconsin

    http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

    Dave Dunfield provides the software tool CPT. One connects a CP/M
    system to an MS-DOS system via serial port; and the CPT tools then
    IMAGE A DISK ON THE CP/M system and send it TO the MS-DOS system. He
    also has IMAGEDISK, an MS-DOS tool to read disks on MS-DOS systems and
    create a disk image. Read the page and documents and software there
    for details.

    He also has an archive of disk images. He also describes how to hook 8-
    inch floppy drives to Intel/Windows systems, and even how to test
    their floppy controllers to see if they support single density!

    Dave has done a lot of work and has done most of the "heavy lifting"
    about obtaining and archiving diskettes as images.

    Herb Johnson
    retrotechnology.com

  3. Re: Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least aSSSD 8" drive

    Herb Johnson wrote:
    > On May 6, 8:58 am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    >
    >> Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least a SSSD 8"
    >> drive attached that could try to read my 8" SSSD SCP 86-dos and convert
    >> to a 5.25 so a disk Image could be made ????
    >> Bob in Wisconsin
    >> http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm
    >>
    >> Dave Dunfield provides the software tool CPT. One connects a CP/M
    >> system to an MS-DOS system via serial port; and the CPT tools then
    >> IMAGE A DISK ON THE CP/M system and send it TO the MS-DOS system. He
    >> also has IMAGEDISK, an MS-DOS tool to read disks on MS-DOS systems and
    >> create a disk image. Read the page and documents and software there
    >> for details.He also has an archive of disk images. He also describes how to hook 8-
    >> inch floppy drives to Intel/Windows systems, and even how to test
    >> their floppy controllers to see if they support single density!
    >> Dave has done a lot of work and has done most of the "heavy lifting"
    >> about obtaining and archiving diskettes as images.

    Herb;
    Thanks for the Heads up. I do have an Adapter for connecting 5.25 to 8"
    had it workingf awhile back I am going to try to get it setup again. I
    found I can capture the Disk using DEBUG from My MS-DOS 2.0 on my NEC
    APC. but can't get it to a 5.25
    So I'll try using one of my PC's and the adapter
    Bob

  4. Re: Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least a SSSD 8" drive

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 07:58:33 -0500, "Robert J. Stevens"
    wrote:

    >Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least a SSSD 8"
    >drive attached that could try to read my 8" SSSD SCP 86-dos and convert
    >to a 5.25 so a disk Image could be made ????
    >Bob in Wisconsin

    I think I've heard of Seattle DOS-86 versions 0.1, 0.3, and 1.0

    Does that cover everything (pre-PC DOS) they released?

    Are images available for download of any/all somewhere?

    I'd like to try booting a Gazelle board set; need a bootable disk.

    Bill

  5. Re: Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least a SSSD 8" drive

    wrote:

    >Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least a SSSD 8"
    >drive attached that could try to read my 8" SSSD SCP 86-dos and convert
    >to a 5.25 so a disk Image could be made ????

    This question has been bothering me since I first read it.
    It assumes something that should be totally irrelevant - a Catweasel
    I've been reading disks for maybe thirty years without one.

    I've got to deal with Quickbooks, and the need to ''upgrade''
    the operating system our book keeper is using to (ugh spit spit)
    Windows XP . After three days of trial and error whacking
    great chunks out of it with XPlite, and searching high and low
    for SOME way to replace Quickbooks/Intuit(stupid bastards)
    altogether....I ran across THIS:

    Damn! I wish I had said that!

    Is there any way we could make it a requirement to read
    prior to posting questions here?

    Bill

  6. Re: Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least aSSSD 8" drive

    Bill wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 May 2008 07:58:33 -0500, "Robert J. Stevens"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Is there anyone out there running a CatWeasel with at least a SSSD 8"
    >> drive attached that could try to read my 8" SSSD SCP 86-dos and convert
    >> to a 5.25 so a disk Image could be made ????
    >> Bob in Wisconsin
    >> I think I've heard of Seattle DOS-86 versions 0.1, 0.3, and 1.0
    >> Does that cover everything (pre-PC DOS) they released?
    >> Are images available for download of any/all somewhere?
    >> I'd like to try booting a Gazelle board set; need a bootable disk.

    Bill;
    I have some SSSD 8" Floppies
    One is marked SCP 86-DOS Ver 1.0. There is code on Track Zero.
    The other two are a two Disk Set marked SCP MS-Dos Ver 2.0
    There is also code on track Zero.
    I got the MS-Dos v 2.02 working on my NEC APC by copying all the Files
    over to a NEC Bootable MS-DOS Floppy.
    The SCP DOS has a Command.Com dated 3-15-1983 while the MS-Dos for the
    NEC has its Commmand.com dated 2-08-1983.
    Some of the files are dated the same and some are different ranging from
    late 1982 to early 1983.
    The SCP MS DOS v2.0 looks like its setup to install to a Hard Drive.
    I am working right now to get a 8" Floppy working on a PC. Almost there
    have several Machines set up with DOS 6.22 and Con-Dos XM 6.2. I am able
    to see the Floppies when Con Dos is running but Dos 6.22 says the floppy
    is not ready. Once I get that solved I have be able to try to Install
    the V.20 to a HD
    I was able to look at them with DUTIL and DUF05 on my CompuPro 816.
    I also made some copies that seem to be OK.
    You might want to give them a Try.
    I also know a GUY out in Washington that has a GAZELLE
    Bob in Wisconsin

+ Reply to Thread