Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot - CP/M

This is a discussion on Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot - CP/M ; Hello, I recently came across a Ferguson Big Board with just the board itself. I attached a 5.25" drive in place of an 8" and have an ASCII keyboard and monitor attached. Using Dave Dunfield's image and software I've been ...

  1. Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    Hello,

    I recently came across a Ferguson Big Board with just the board itself. I
    attached a 5.25" drive in place of an 8" and have an ASCII keyboard and
    monitor attached. Using Dave Dunfield's image and software I've been able to
    get CP/M to start to boot. The 2.2 message comes up, the screen clears, then
    I get the clock. Next I get an error message bios select error drive not
    ready. Anybody know what is going on?

    Thanks for any help,

    Vince

    --
    What is the Micro-KIM?
    http://www.brielcomputers.com

  2. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    On Sun, 4 May 2008 09:31:34 -0400, "Vince Briel"
    wrote:

    > I've been able to get CP/M to start to boot.
    > The 2.2 message comes up, the screen clears, then I get the clock.

    First hint of 'trouble'.....What Clock?

    Bill

  3. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    False alarm, I got it with a different image file

    Vince

    --
    replica 1 the apple 1 clone

    "Vince Briel" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently came across a Ferguson Big Board with just the board itself. I
    > attached a 5.25" drive in place of an 8" and have an ASCII keyboard and
    > monitor attached. Using Dave Dunfield's image and software I've been able
    > to get CP/M to start to boot. The 2.2 message comes up, the screen clears,
    > then I get the clock. Next I get an error message bios select error drive
    > not ready. Anybody know what is going on?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Vince
    >
    > --
    > What is the Micro-KIM?
    > http://www.brielcomputers.com

  4. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    The disk image that I made into an actual disk loaded some sort of
    timer/clock then I got the error. A different image was bootable.

    Vince
    --

    "Bill" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 4 May 2008 09:31:34 -0400, "Vince Briel"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I've been able to get CP/M to start to boot.
    >> The 2.2 message comes up, the screen clears, then I get the clock.

    > First hint of 'trouble'.....What Clock?
    >
    > Bill

  5. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    Ok, now that I have my Ferguson running I'm looking for BASIC. Is there a
    imd file of basic for 8" SSSD out there?

    Vince

    --
    What is the Micro-KIM?
    http://www.brielcomputers.com

    "Vince Briel" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently came across a Ferguson Big Board with just the board itself. I
    > attached a 5.25" drive in place of an 8" and have an ASCII keyboard and
    > monitor attached. Using Dave Dunfield's image and software I've been able
    > to get CP/M to start to boot. The 2.2 message comes up, the screen clears,
    > then I get the clock. Next I get an error message bios select error drive
    > not ready. Anybody know what is going on?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Vince
    >
    > --
    > What is the Micro-KIM?
    > http://www.brielcomputers.com

  6. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    Hello, Vince!

    > Ok, now that I have my Ferguson running I'm looking for BASIC. Is there a
    > imd file of basic for 8" SSSD out there?

    I know you from the "AltairPC". I think that you are an electronics
    engineer. If you have been reading this comp.os.cpm Newsgroup, you
    know that I am a programmer, and quite knowledgeable about BASIC. What
    kind of BASIC are you looking after? (What do you want to do with it?)
    My favorite 8-bit BASIC is, unfortunately, not available on the
    Internet (Mallard BASIC), while slowly dying. It is me who found and
    uploaded the last version of MBASIC, 5.29.

    (http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/lang/lang.htm, at the bottom)

    If you are an electronics engineer and like to play with subroutines
    accessing directly the hardware, I could have some work for you...
    (What about porting "Altair BASIC"?) Too bad you are not living near
    Boston, since I need to read an old listing there.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr Emmanuel Roche, France

  7. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    > I know you from the "AltairPC". I think that you are an electronics
    > engineer. If you have been reading this comp.os.cpm Newsgroup, you
    > know that I am a programmer, and quite knowledgeable about BASIC. What
    > kind of BASIC are you looking after? (What do you want to do with it?)
    > My favorite 8-bit BASIC is, unfortunately, not available on the
    > Internet (Mallard BASIC), while slowly dying. It is me who found and
    > uploaded the last version of MBASIC, 5.29.

    Sorry, I should have been more clear, I was looking for MBASIC. That is me,
    the AltairPC is still a work in progress although Howard Harte has the
    ZAltair!

    > (http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/lang/lang.htm, at the bottom)

    That was what I needed, thank you. Now I have MBASIC on 8" SSSD drive using
    22disk.

    > If you are an electronics engineer and like to play with subroutines
    > accessing directly the hardware, I could have some work for you...
    > (What about porting "Altair BASIC"?) Too bad you are not living near
    > Boston, since I need to read an old listing there.

    Is there a proper disassembled copy of Altair BASIC out there? I haven't
    seen it.

    Vince

  8. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    Hello, Vince!

    > Is there a proper disassembled copy of Altair BASIC out there? I haven't
    > seen it.

    It is (among other things) on my Hard Disk. There are at least 4
    (maybe 5) versions of Altair BASIC. So far, I disassembled only 2.
    That's why I need someone in Boston, to finish my work (see my "MITS
    8800 Question" message of the 11 April 2008).

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

  9. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    On Mon, 5 May 2008 07:23:02 -0400, "Vince Briel"
    wrote:

    >> I know you from the "AltairPC". I think that you are an electronics
    >> engineer. If you have been reading this comp.os.cpm Newsgroup, you
    >> know that I am a programmer, and quite knowledgeable about BASIC. What
    >> kind of BASIC are you looking after? (What do you want to do with it?)
    >> My favorite 8-bit BASIC is, unfortunately, not available on the
    >> Internet (Mallard BASIC), while slowly dying. It is me who found and
    >> uploaded the last version of MBASIC, 5.29.

    >Sorry, I should have been more clear, I was looking for MBASIC. That is me,
    >the AltairPC is still a work in progress although Howard Harte has the
    >ZAltair!
    >>
    >> (http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/lang/lang.htm, at the bottom)

    >That was what I needed, thank you. Now I have MBASIC on 8" SSSD drive using
    >22disk.
    >>
    >> If you are an electronics engineer and like to play with subroutines
    >> accessing directly the hardware, I could have some work for you...
    >> (What about porting "Altair BASIC"?) Too bad you are not living near
    >> Boston, since I need to read an old listing there.

    Boston, think 20mi west inland.

    >Is there a proper disassembled copy of Altair BASIC out there? I haven't
    >seen it.

    Neither have I.

    Allison

    >Vince

  10. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    > >> (...) Too bad you are not living near
    > >> Boston, since I need to read an old listing there.

    > Boston, think 20mi west inland.

    Unfortunately, in about 10 years of reading this comp.os.cpm
    Newsgroup, I have never seen you helping someone else... All you do
    (over and over again) is saying: "30 years ago, I did this...".

    > >Is there a proper disassembled copy of Altair BASIC out there? I haven't
    > >seen it.

    > Neither have I.

    http://www.interact-sw.co.uk/altair/index2.html

    (Mine use MAC and SID.) (You may remember that I spoke about
    generating BIN files (loading at 0000H) with MAC?) (This is how I re-
    created the source code of MINOL and VTL-2 for the MITS 8800.)

    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr Emmanuel Roche, France

  11. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    On Tue, 6 May 2008 09:57:46 -0700 (PDT), "Mr Emmanuel Roche, France"
    wrote:

    >> Boston, think 20mi west inland.

    >Unfortunately, in about 10 years of reading this comp.os.cpm
    >Newsgroup, I have never seen you helping someone else... All you do
    >(over and over again) is saying: "30 years ago, I did this...".

    Your jabbering again. There is nothing historic in that. I am 20mi
    west of Boston and MBASIC and BASCOM (executables) are
    available on the net.

    It's up to him to make a request, not you.

    >> >Is there a proper disassembled copy of Altair BASIC out there? I haven't
    >> >seen it.

    >> Neither have I.

    >http://www.interact-sw.co.uk/altair/index2.html

    Well it's once Altair BASIC and alwmost a working version
    as 3.2 was quite buggy. What about the mroe deisreable and
    scarcer 8k MITS BASIC?

    Allison

    >(Mine use MAC and SID.) (You may remember that I spoke about
    >generating BIN files (loading at 0000H) with MAC?) (This is how I re-
    >created the source code of MINOL and VTL-2 for the MITS 8800.)
    >
    >Yours Sincerely,
    >Mr Emmanuel Roche, France

  12. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    On May 6, 12:57*pm, "Mr Emmanuel Roche, France"
    wrote:
    [snip]
    > Unfortunately, in about 10 years of reading this comp.os.cpm
    > Newsgroup, I have never seen you helping someone else... All you do
    > (over and over again) is saying: "30 years ago, I did this...".

    [snip]

    > Yours Sincerely,
    > Mr Emmanuel Roche, France

    You can't be serious! Allison has helped me and many others. Many
    times.

    We may disagree occasionally but I always respect her opinion.

    She is a invaluable mentor to many of us in the vintage computer and
    is a respected authority on CP/M and electronics of all sort.

    That sort of personal attack has no place here. Please stop.

    Thank you.

    Andrew Lynch

  13. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    > You can't be serious! Allison has helped me and many others. Many
    > times.
    >
    > We may disagree occasionally but I always respect her opinion.
    >
    > She is a invaluable mentor to many of us in the vintage computer and
    > is a respected authority on CP/M and electronics of all sort.
    >
    > That sort of personal attack has no place here. Please stop.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Andrew Lynch

    Ditto that!!! I have benefited from discussions with, and advice
    from, Allison, and even lurking on excellent and informative threads
    with others. An attack like yours, Mr. Roche, is unwarranted. Please
    go away.

    Roger

  14. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    Hi,
    i have a lot of stuffs for bigboard.
    i could send them. i tried to send to your email address but the email come
    me back.
    may you tell me your correct email address?
    Enrico - Pisa - Italy

    "Vince Briel" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently came across a Ferguson Big Board with just the board itself. I
    > attached a 5.25" drive in place of an 8" and have an ASCII keyboard and
    > monitor attached. Using Dave Dunfield's image and software I've been able
    > to get CP/M to start to boot. The 2.2 message comes up, the screen clears,
    > then I get the clock. Next I get an error message bios select error drive
    > not ready. Anybody know what is going on?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Vince
    >
    > --
    > What is the Micro-KIM?
    > http://www.brielcomputers.com

  15. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    Sorry, I muck the address up for spam reasons. try vbriel AT oh.rr.com
    where AT=@ or vbriel AT yahoo.com

    Cheers,

    Vince

    --

    "Enrico Lazzerini" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > i have a lot of stuffs for bigboard.
    > i could send them. i tried to send to your email address but the email
    > come me back.
    > may you tell me your correct email address?
    > Enrico - Pisa - Italy
    >
    > "Vince Briel" ha scritto nel
    > messaggio news:481dbabd$0$12956$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I recently came across a Ferguson Big Board with just the board itself. I
    >> attached a 5.25" drive in place of an 8" and have an ASCII keyboard and
    >> monitor attached. Using Dave Dunfield's image and software I've been able
    >> to get CP/M to start to boot. The 2.2 message comes up, the screen
    >> clears, then I get the clock. Next I get an error message bios select
    >> error drive not ready. Anybody know what is going on?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help,
    >>
    >> Vince
    >>
    >> --
    >> What is the Micro-KIM?
    >> http://www.brielcomputers.com

  16. Re: Getting a Ferguson Big Board to boot

    On May 6, 8:57 am, "Mr Emmanuel Roche, France"
    wrote:

    > > Boston, think 20mi west inland.

    > Unfortunately, in about 10 years of reading this comp.os.cpm
    > Newsgroup, I have never seen you helping someone else... All you do
    > (over and over again) is saying: "30 years ago, I did this...".
    >
    > > >Is there a proper disassembled copy of Altair BASIC out there? I haven't
    > > >seen it.

    > > Neither have I.

    > http://www.interact-sw.co.uk/altair/index2.html
    >
    > (Mine use MAC and SID.) (You may remember that I spoke about
    > generating BIN files (loading at 0000H) with MAC?) (This is how I re-
    > created the source code of MINOL and VTL-2 for the MITS 8800.)
    >
    > Yours Sincerely,
    > Mr Emmanuel Roche, France

    I think there is something wrong with your VTL-2 BIN file. It has 11
    more bytes than it is supposed to. I don't remember, but I'm pretty
    sure I burnt it to 5 EPROMs and it didn't work. Did you patch it?

    Before I had the time to look at your file, Frank e-mailed me a 1024
    byte binary file. (he is still interested in it and requests a
    license)

    I burnt a good copy to 4 EPROMs and it worked fine.

+ Reply to Thread