HalBower's Web Page Change - CP/M

This is a discussion on HalBower's Web Page Change - CP/M ; Due to various realignments in the US telecommunications industry, I dropped my relationship with AT&T and gave up my E-Mail address of HalBower@worldnet.att.net and the associated Web Page at home.att.net/~halbower/ which hosted my 8-bit stuff, Linux stuff and Korean music ...

  1. HalBower's Web Page Change

    Due to various realignments in the US telecommunications industry, I dropped my relationship with AT&T and gave up my E-Mail address of HalBower@worldnet.att.net and the associated Web Page at home.att.net/~halbower/ which hosted my 8-bit stuff, Linux stuff and Korean music notes. I did copy all the files.

    For anyone who has linked to my ZSDOS, BPBIOS, UZI, Z-System Libraries etc, the new address is:

    http://mysite.verizon.net/hal.bower/

    Sorry for not providing prior notice, but it's been a little hectic here and re-doing my networks for FIOS and wireless from my linux systems as well as rebuilding some boxes to use less power in order to compensate for the power that Verizon now drains is taking quite a bite from the copius amounts of free time here ;-)

    Hal

  2. Re: HalBower's Web Page Change

    Hello Hal,

    Am Thu, 01 May 2008 18:50:07 +0000 schrieb Hal:

    > For anyone who has linked to my ZSDOS, BPBIOS, UZI, Z-System Libraries
    > etc, the new address is:
    >
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/hal.bower/

    Thanks for your Info.

    Rolf

  3. Re: HalBower's Web Page Change

    Hal wrote:

    > Due to various realignments in the US telecommunications industry,
    > I dropped my relationship with AT&T and gave up my E-Mail address
    > of HalBower@worldnet.att.net and the associated Web Page at
    > home.att.net/~halbower/ which hosted my 8-bit stuff, Linux stuff
    > and Korean music notes. I did copy all the files.
    >
    > For anyone who has linked to my ZSDOS, BPBIOS, UZI, Z-System
    > Libraries etc, the new address is:
    >
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/hal.bower/
    >
    > Sorry for not providing prior notice, but it's been a little
    > hectic here and re-doing my networks for FIOS and wireless from my
    > linux systems as well as rebuilding some boxes to use less power
    > in order to compensate for the power that Verizon now drains is
    > taking quite a bite from the copius amounts of free time here ;-)

    This may be too late, but ATT has a system that lets you keep your
    web-page, all the storage, etc. and abandon the direct access. You
    can access it all over the web. The cost is 5.95 per month, or was
    - I think they just raised it to 7.95. That lets you preserve
    your email address, page address, etc.

    In addition, I had to fix your post. You were using thoroughly
    excessive line lengths. Please limit them to 72 chars, 67 is
    better.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  4. Re: HalBower's Web Page Change

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 21:41:46 -0400, CBFalconer
    wrote:

    >This may be too late, but ATT has a system that lets you keep your
    >web-page, all the storage, etc. and abandon the direct access. You
    >can access it all over the web. The cost is 5.95 per month, or was
    >- I think they just raised it to 7.95. That lets you preserve
    >your email address, page address, etc.

    Yeah, it's called Web Hosting. It's been around for quite a while.

    My present host, physically located in Houston, sells 500 gigabytes
    of space, 5,000 gigabytes per month traffic, for about $71 a YEAR.

    Actually, last time I shopped around, that's about the 'best' package
    price/features and is available from a number of hosting companies.

    You can of course pay more if you want 'help' with things.

    Besides web site, gives you independant email addresses of
    your choice - registration of a domain name is now down to
    under ten bucks a year. You can even host more than one
    domain name on the same 'plan'.

    One of these days I may fire up 'BrewAuction' for (what else)
    breweriana - we aren't going to keep collecting forever. I've
    kept the same email address (SunSouthWest) for around 12
    years now....and yeah, I'm on every junk mail list there ever
    was - up to 5,000 spams a day. Thanks to several levels of
    filtering, however, only 3 or five get through, most days. And
    that's without having to resort to a 'White List' which is pretty
    much unbeatable, but forces you to use 'disposable' addresses
    so 'unknowns' can still reach you.

    Plain text, legitimate soure URLs, nothing tricky, reaches me.

    Bill

  5. Re: HalBower's Web Page Change

    On May 2, 8:23*am, Bill wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 21:41:46 -0400, CBFalconer
    > wrote:
    >
    > >This may be too late, but ATT has a system that lets you keep your
    > >web-page, all the storage, etc. and abandon the direct access. *You
    > >can access it all over the web. *The cost is 5.95 per month, or was
    > >- I think they just raised it to *7.95. *That lets you preserve
    > >your email address, page address, etc.

    For dynamic dns redirection services, for free or modest costs:

    http://www.dyndns.com/about

    > Yeah, it's called Web Hosting. It's been around for quite a while.
    >
    > My present host, physically located in Houston, sells 500 gigabytes
    > of space, 5,000 gigabytes per month traffic, for about $71 a YEAR.

    If your needs are more modest at 250mb, 100gb trafic, these forlks are
    free:

    http://www.000webhost.com/

    I use them for this 'testing' site: http://project-fbin.890m.com

    Steve

    > Actually, last time I shopped around, that's about the 'best' package
    > price/features and is available from a number of hosting companies.
    >
    > You can of course pay more if you want 'help' with things.
    >
    > Besides web site, gives you independant email addresses of
    > your choice - registration of a domain name is now down to
    > under ten bucks a year. You can even host more than one
    > domain name on the same 'plan'.
    >
    > One of these days I may fire up 'BrewAuction' for (what else)
    > breweriana - we aren't going to keep collecting forever. I've
    > kept the same email address (SunSouthWest) for around 12
    > years now....and yeah, I'm on every junk mail list there ever
    > was - up to 5,000 spams a day. Thanks to several levels of
    > filtering, however, only 3 or five get through, most days. And
    > that's without having to resort to a 'White List' which is pretty
    > much unbeatable, but forces you to use 'disposable' addresses
    > so 'unknowns' can still reach you.
    >
    > Plain text, legitimate soure URLs, nothing tricky, reaches me.
    >
    > Bill

  6. Re: HalBower's Web Page Change

    On Fri, 2 May 2008 09:32:08 -0700 (PDT), s_dubrovich@yahoo.com wrote:

    >If your needs are more modest at 250mb, 100gb trafic, these forlks are
    >free:
    >
    >http://www.000webhost.com/

    I'm not saying whether the folks behind your URL are good or
    bad, but people just might want to know who it REALLY is:

    http://www.softlayer.com/servers_ser.html

    I'm in the same situation - I actually use a couple guys DBA who
    just happen to be located in Wichita and Kansas City. But the
    rack equipment is owned and operated by a behind-the-scenes
    company that (I just looked) appears to be owned by JTT (that's
    sort of the ATT of Japan?) out of Houston by way of Colorado?

    And, like my situation, there are probably others ALSO offering
    hosting off those same servers.....

    Oh well ...Houston, Dallas, what's a few miles apart anyway?

    Bill

  7. Re: HalBower's Web Page Change

    CBFalconer wrote:
    [...]
    > This may be too late, but ATT has a system that lets you keep your
    > web-page, all the storage, etc. and abandon the direct access. You
    > can access it all over the web. The cost is 5.95 per month, or was
    > - I think they just raised it to 7.95. That lets you preserve
    > your email address, page address, etc.

    For simple things it's also worth taking a look at Google Pages:

    http://pages.google.com
    http://pages.google.com/-/about.html

    100MB, no adverts, all the bandwidth you can eat (although they reserve
    the right to limit bandwidth in emergencies), and could hardly be easier
    to use --- there's a point-and-click web page editor that actually works
    (or you can upload raw HTML).

    Limitations include no subdirectories and no bulk upload (although there
    are some hacks to work around that last).

    --
    ┌─── dg*cowlark.com ───── http://www.cowlark.com ─────
    │ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my

  8. Re: HalBower's Web Page Change

    On May 2, 11:53*am, Bill wrote:
    > On Fri, 2 May 2008 09:32:08 -0700 (PDT), s_dubrov...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >If your needs are more modest at 250mb, 100gb trafic, these forlks are
    > >free:

    > >http://www.000webhost.com/

    > I'm not saying whether the folks behind your URL are good or
    > bad, but people just might want to know who it REALLY is:
    >
    > *http://www.softlayer.com/servers_ser.html

    That's for pointing that out, btw, how did you determine it? But, I
    know nothing of who softlayer really is either.

    > I'm in the same situation - I actually use a couple guys DBA who
    > just happen to be located in Wichita and Kansas City. But the
    > rack equipment is owned and operated by a behind-the-scenes
    > company that (I just looked) appears to be owned by JTT (that's
    > sort of the ATT of Japan?) out of Houston by way of Colorado?

    JTT or NTT? NTT is nippon telephone and telegraph, who seem to have
    their US trunk based in Colo. My XP system happens to 'phone home' to
    them and Redmond on boot. Well, at least to a block of addresses of
    theirs, same block as whois btw. They're not on the same trunk as my
    isp, either.

    > And, like my situation, there are probably others ALSO offering
    > hosting off those same servers.....
    >
    > Oh well ...Houston, Dallas, what's a few miles apart anyway?

    Well, you imply a concern about the 'man in the middle', but what can
    one do? -have concern about a 'man in black in the middle'? do
    nothing, or opt out.

    Steve

    > Bill

+ Reply to Thread