Altos 5-15 schematic needed - CP/M

This is a discussion on Altos 5-15 schematic needed - CP/M ; Hi, my Altos 5-15 does not boot from or read any floppy. My guess is the floppy was replaced and not properly configured. Is there anyone with a schematic for an Altos 5-15 or 580 (uses the same motherboard) ? ...

  1. Altos 5-15 schematic needed

    Hi,
    my Altos 5-15 does not boot from or read any floppy.
    My guess is the floppy was replaced and not properly configured.
    Is there anyone with a schematic for an Altos 5-15 or 580 (uses the same
    motherboard) ?
    I am looking especially for the jumper definitions.

    regards
    Roman

  2. Re: Altos 5-15 schematic needed

    "Roman Sigmund" wrote in news:yscSj.1$oc5.33
    @nntpserver.swip.net:

    > Hi,
    > my Altos 5-15 does not boot from or read any floppy.
    > My guess is the floppy was replaced and not properly configured.
    > Is there anyone with a schematic for an Altos 5-15 or 580 (uses the same
    > motherboard) ?
    > I am looking especially for the jumper definitions.
    >
    > regards
    > Roman

    Arrrgh!

    Time, time, time.

    Roman, if you can wait until Tuesday/Wednesday, I will finish up.
    I borrowed Erik Klein's (fromt vintage-computer.com) Altos 5-15 manual
    (thanks Erik!) to scan in, and just haven't finished. I am going out of
    town for 4 days beginning Friday AM, but I am returning Sunday, or possibly
    Monday. I can complete scanning and converting it at that time, including
    the schematics. Don't remember if there were drawings on the floppy drive
    jumpers themselves, though it doesn't seem familiar.

    Also, make sure the FDD that's in there now is a DS/QD drive, or you won't
    be able to read Altos disks. Another trick, is to get a Teac FD55GFR-7193
    on fleaBay, and there is a simple jumper you install to lock it to 300rpm,
    QD, and it functions as a DS/QD because it's a 96tpi drive.

    Soon as I get it, Al Kossow, and Dave Dunfield will both receive a copy if
    they want it, and Howard Harte, by nature of mirroring bitsavers, will also
    receive it, unless he wants a copy faster.

    I've been trying to get it completed for 2-3 months now, but work, work
    travel, and now travel for family, keeps getting intermixed in!

    Tony
    sharkonwheels -a t- g|\/|ail.com

  3. Re: Altos 5-15 schematic needed

    Tony wrote in

    > Roman, if you can wait until Tuesday/Wednesday, I will finish up.
    > I borrowed Erik Klein's (fromt vintage-computer.com) Altos 5-15 manual
    > (thanks Erik!) to scan in, and just haven't finished. I am going out
    > of town for 4 days beginning Friday AM, but I am returning Sunday, or
    > possibly Monday. I can complete scanning and converting it at that
    > time, including the schematics. Don't remember if there were drawings
    > on the floppy drive jumpers themselves, though it doesn't seem
    > familiar.

    OK - so it's been more than a few days - thing is, it is DONE!

    Thanks to Erik Klein for loan of the original "MP/M II Operating System
    Manual for Altos 580-10 and Series 5"

    It has been sent to Al Kossow, and should be available on bitsavers as when
    it gets through his queue.

    It is a PDF file, about 29MB in size, with all schematics. I am trying to
    find out where I can scan the original schematics and keep them full-size
    (11x14).

    Do places like Kinko's scan and drop on your USB FlahKey?

    Tony
    sharkonwheels -at- g|\/|ail.com

  4. Re: Altos 5-15 schematic needed

    Tony wrote:
    (snip)

    > Do places like Kinko's scan and drop on your USB FlahKey?

    I think os (or maybe CD-R) but it is fairly expensive.

    If you want to make copies at Kinkos (not so expensive)
    and mail them to me I will scan them. You could also
    reduce them at Kinkos to a size that fits your scanner.

    -- glen

+ Reply to Thread