Need a HEX Editor that can access a Floppy on a Track/Byte to ByteBasis - CP/M

This is a discussion on Need a HEX Editor that can access a Floppy on a Track/Byte to ByteBasis - CP/M ; "Robert J. Stevens" wrote: >I Need a HEX Editor that can access a Floppy on a Track/Btyte to Byte Basis. >I have a SSSD 8" Floppy that has a messed up Directory. It has "C0" >where it should have "00". ...

  1. Re: Need a HEX Editor that can access a Floppy on a Track/Byte to Byte Basis

    "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:

    >I Need a HEX Editor that can access a Floppy on a Track/Btyte to Byte Basis.
    >I have a SSSD 8" Floppy that has a messed up Directory. It has "C0"
    >where it should have "00".
    >I can access the floppy with DU and if I do a "M" Map it displays the
    >files.
    >Also SDIR from CCP/M-86 sees the files. But I can't access with PIP.
    >Any Suggestions

    Use ImageDisk.

    Read the disk into a .IMD file with IMD
    View/edit image with: IMDV filename /W
    Write the .IMD file back to floppy with IMD

    Dave

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield

  2. Need a HEX Editor that can access a Floppy on a Track/Byte to ByteBasis

    I Need a HEX Editor that can access a Floppy on a Track/Btyte to Byte Basis.
    I have a SSSD 8" Floppy that has a messed up Directory. It has "C0"
    where it should have "00".
    I can access the floppy with DU and if I do a "M" Map it displays the
    files.
    Also SDIR from CCP/M-86 sees the files. But I can't access with PIP.
    Any Suggestions
    Bob in Wisconsin
    USE
    trebor 72@execpc.com

  3. Re: Need a HEX Editor that can access a Floppy on a Track/Byte to Byte Basis

    "Robert J. Stevens" writes:

    >I Need a HEX Editor that can access a Floppy on a Track/Btyte to Byte Basis.

    Why?

    >I have a SSSD 8" Floppy that has a messed up Directory. It has "C0"
    >where it should have "00".
    >I can access the floppy with DU and if I do a "M" Map it displays the
    >files.

    As far as I remember, DU was able to do changes on the sektor
    which it held in memory? You had to remeber to "w"rite it back...

    "C0" instead of "00":

    In which Place? Just before the filename?
    Wasn't that the indicator for "public" or such?

    Yours, Holger

  4. Re: Need a HEX Editor that can access a Floppy on a Track/Byte toByte Basis

    On Apr 30, 7:12*am, "Robert J. Stevens" wrote:
    > I Need a HEX Editor that can access a Floppy on a Track/Btyte to Byte Basis.
    > I have a SSSD 8" Floppy that has a messed up Directory. It has "C0"
    > where it should have "00".
    > I can access the floppy with DU and if I do a "M" Map it displays the
    > files.
    > Also SDIR from CCP/M-86 sees the files. But I can't access with PIP.
    > Any Suggestions
    > Bob in Wisconsin
    > USE
    > trebor 7...@execpc.com

    This isn't for SCP 86-Dos is it? I'd be leary of changing the byte if
    it were. C0h could be the directory allocation byte, for instance.
    The reason I say that is because it seems to me that Paterson moved
    the cp/m disk map out of the directory into the diskette using the fat
    table, and also moved the DPB from the cp/m bios onto the diskette as
    well. I get that impression from a read of the docs at:

    http://www.patersontech.com/Dos/Manuals.aspx

    One of the manuals has a monitor listing, and controller code you
    probably also want to look at.

    I'm just guessing at your situation, but the byte C0h rings an alert
    bell to me, as C000h is a typical disk allocation word value.

    good luck,

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread