AltairZ80 simulator updated - CP/M

This is a discussion on AltairZ80 simulator updated - CP/M ; The AltairZ80 simulator has been updated and is available for download at http://www.schorn.ch/cpm/intro.html New: - Optional 8086 CPU - Memory mapped I/O - Various new devices (courtesy of Howard M. Harte) - New operating systems to play with (courtesy of ...

  1. AltairZ80 simulator updated

    The AltairZ80 simulator has been updated and is available for download
    at http://www.schorn.ch/cpm/intro.html

    New:
    - Optional 8086 CPU
    - Memory mapped I/O
    - Various new devices (courtesy of Howard M. Harte)
    - New operating systems to play with (courtesy of Howard M. Harte)
    * CP/M 86 (for CompuPro with VEDIT, DR C V1.11, DR Pascal MT+, CBASIC)
    * IMDOS
    * MDOS
    * Northstar DOS 5.0
    * Northstar DOS 2.1.1
    * Vector Graphic CP/M (56k and 46k version)
    * OASIS
    - Updated documentation
    - Minor bug fixes

    Features of the simulator:
    - Pre-built versions for PC, Macintosh (OS X and OS 9.x), LINUX (i386)
    and Zaurus (ARM LINUX)
    - Full ANSI C source code and documentation available for download
    - Choice of processor (8080 CPU, Z80 CPU, 8086 CPU)
    - Optional banked memory (16 banks with 64 Kbytes)
    - MMU with flexible ROM and memory mapped I/O support
    - Optional hard drive support for additional storage capacity with
    choice of disk geometry
    - Various devices for Northstar, CompuPro and Vector Graphic
    - Optional networking support via TCP/IP
    - Support for up to 4 consoles
    - Timer and keyboard generated interrupts
    - Memory access and instruction breakpoints
    - VT100 emulation via Telnet
    - Ability to set the clock speed for "real-time" simulation (useful for
    games)
    - Based on SIMH 3.7-3

    Ready to run disk images include:
    - Original Altair software such as the famous 4K Basic
    - CP/M 1.4 (for the historically inclined, with sources)
    - CP/M 2.2 (including all sources for CCP, BDOS and BIOS)
    - CP/NET 1.2 and CPNOS 1.2 (including all customized sources)
    - Personal CP/M (including source for CCP, BDOS and BIOS)
    - CP/M 3 (including sources for BIOS)
    - MP/M II (supporting banked memory and up to 4 consoles via Telnet)
    - DOS+, NovaDOS, P2DOS, SuperDOS, Z80DOS, ZSDOS
    - NZ-COM (Z-System based on CP/M 2.2, sources, PDF user manual)
    - Z3PLUS (Z-System based on CP/M 3, sources, PDF user manual)
    - CP/M 86 (CP/M for 8086 with BIOS sources)
    - IMDOS (56K IMDOS V2.05)
    - MDOS (Micropolis MDOS V3.0)
    - NDOS (Northstar DOS 5.0 and 2.1.1)
    - OASIS (OASIS multi-user version 5.5A for Vector Graphic)

    Ready to run disk images of CP/M application software:
    - Programming languages: Ada, Algol, APL, various Basic implementations,
    BDS C, COBOL, Forth, FORTRAN, Lisp, Modula 2, Mumps, muSIMP,
    Pascal, UCSD Pascal II.0, PL/I, PLM, SPL, MINOL, VTL-2
    - Basic collection includes MTBASIC, S-BASIC and TARBELL BASIC
    - Office applications: dBASE, Wordstar, VEDIT, Multiplan, SuperCalc
    - Games: Adventure (Colossal Cave), Catchum, Worm, Ladder, Rogue,
    Wanderer
    - Development: M80, L80, CREF80, DDTZ,
    transfer between host file system and simulated file system
    with wild card support

    Download at http://www.schorn.ch/cpm/intro.html

    --
    Peter Schorn
    peter.schorn at acm.org
    http://www.schorn.ch

  2. Re: AltairZ80 simulator updated

    Hello Peter,

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:25:11 +0200, Peter Schorn wrote:

    >The AltairZ80 simulator has been updated and is available for download
    >at http://www.schorn.ch/cpm/intro.html

    Thanks for your Info.

    I have andLinux and Udo's Z80PACK run on this Linux.

    Rolf

  3. Re: AltairZ80 simulator updated

    Peter Schorn wrote:

    > The AltairZ80 simulator has been updated and is available for download
    > at http://www.schorn.ch/cpm/intro.html

    Many thanks )

    Byee
    Guido

  4. Re: AltairZ80 simulator updated

    Hello Peter,

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:25:11 +0200, Peter Schorn wrote:

    >The AltairZ80 simulator has been updated and is available for download
    >at http://www.schorn.ch/cpm/intro.html

    many thanks for your Linux-Version of the AltairZ80 simulator.
    The Linux-Version run with andLinux.

    Many thanks Udo Munk for your Linux-Version of the Z80Pack.
    The Linux-Version run with andLinux.

    Rolf

  5. Re: AltairZ80 simulator updated

    Hello CP/M Fans,

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:25:11 +0200, Peter Schorn wrote:

    >The AltairZ80 simulator has been updated and is available for download
    >at http://www.schorn.ch/cpm/intro.html

    Peter's AltairZ80 simulator run with andLinux.

    http://www.hd64180-z80180.de/html/altairz80.html

    Rolf

  6. Re: AltairZ80 simulator updated

    On Apr 13, 1:06*pm, Rolf Harrmann
    wrote:
    > Hello CP/M Fans,
    >
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:25:11 +0200, Peter Schorn *wrote:
    > >The AltairZ80 simulator has been updated and is available for download
    > >athttp://www.schorn.ch/cpm/intro.html

    > Peter's *AltairZ80 simulator run with andLinux.
    >
    > http://www.hd64180-z80180.de/html/altairz80.html
    >
    > Rolf

    The CompuPro disk1a simulation uses disk images in Dave Dunfield's
    ImageDisk (IMD) format. Generic disk image read/write operations are
    handled by the sim_imd.c source file. This means that disk images
    manipulated with the simulator could be written back to floppy media
    using Dave's IMD tools and used on a real system.

    The disk1a simulation is comprised of a generic I8272 simulation with
    a small wrapper to implement the CompuPro-specific functionality.
    Other i8272/765-based controllers could be added relatively easily.

  7. Re: AltairZ80 simulator updated

    Hello Peter,

    Am Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:25:11 +0200 schrieb Peter Schorn:

    > The AltairZ80 simulator has been updated and is available for download
    > at http://www.schorn.ch/cpm/intro.html

    Your AltairZ80 simulator run on my openSUSE 10.3 and Kubuntu 8.04.

    Rolf

  8. Re: AltairZ80 simulator updated

    The simulator is great. I've had earlier versions running and have just
    updated it.

    However, in spite of looking at dozens of websites that make reference to
    both the simulator and to P112 and IMD disk image formats, I have not
    found a simple explanation of the manner in which one constructs such a
    disk image from a Linux environment.

    Or, alternatively, a way to get binaries, such as .LBR files or .COM
    files, into the simulator from the outside. Obviously, they won't go
    through the PTR: interface unless converted into Intel HEX somehow.

    A pointer to a suitable tutorial or FAQ would be much appreciated.

    --Gary Phillips, Marengo, IL

  9. Re: AltairZ80 simulator updated

    On Jun 4, 8:43*am, Gary Phillips wrote:
    > The simulator is great. I've had earlier versions running and have just
    > updated it.
    >
    > However, in spite of looking at dozens of websites that make reference to
    > both the simulator and to P112 and IMD disk image formats, I have not
    > found a simple explanation of the manner in which one constructs such a
    > disk image from a Linux environment.
    >
    > Or, alternatively, a way to get binaries, such as .LBR files or .COM
    > files, into the simulator from the outside. Obviously, they won't go
    > through the PTR: interface unless converted into Intel HEX somehow.
    >
    > A pointer to a suitable tutorial or FAQ would be much appreciated.
    >
    > --Gary Phillips, Marengo, IL

    Many Thanks to Howard Harte for his many contributions to the SIMH
    simulator.

    He added support for the Vector Graphic machines and the OSes from the
    disk images we recovered.

    He also added support to SIMH for the N8VEM SBC homebrew computer I
    designed.

    Howard is a scholar and a gentleman and deserves credit for his many
    contributions.

    THANK YOU!

    Andrew Lynch

  10. Re: AltairZ80 simulator updated

    >However, in spite of looking at dozens of websites that make reference to
    >both the simulator and to P112 and IMD disk image formats, I have not
    >found a simple explanation of the manner in which one constructs such a
    >disk image from a Linux environment.

    I can't speak for P112, however the defails of the ImageDisk IMD format
    are provided in the package (even if you can't run the program, you should
    be able to read the .TXT documentation).

    I have placed the IMD format specification into the public domain, so you
    are free to create and use .IMD files any way you see fit. I have also released
    the source code to ImageDisk as well as it's utilities which manipulate .IMD
    files, and support and encourage anyone who wishes to develop similar
    tools for other platforms.

    In the meantime - my ImageDisk programs runs under plain and simple
    DOS - assuming you have no DOS partition at all, you could still run it with
    something like:

    - Create a DOS boot floppy (MsDOS, PcDOS, Win9x, FreeDos etc.),
    set it up with a nice big RAMdisk, and copy on ImageDisk and any
    other useful tools you might want (ZIP etc.)

    - Boot the disk, switch to the RAMdisk and copy ImageDisk and the
    utilities (You can setup an Autoexec.bat to do this when you boot).

    - Use ImageDisk to read your CP/M floppies into .IMD files on the
    RAM disk.

    - Put in a blank DOS formatted floppy and copy the .IMD files to it
    You can fit several typical CP/M images on a 1.44n HD floppy,
    more if you use ZIP.

    - Reboot to linux, mount the DOS floppy containing the .IMD images
    and copy them to your linix partition.

    >Or, alternatively, a way to get binaries, such as .LBR files or .COM
    >files, into the simulator from the outside. Obviously, they won't go
    >through the PTR: interface unless converted into Intel HEX somehow.

    Exactly the same way as one would import foregin files into a real
    CP/M system - I posted a note about this yesterday, however I see
    from other followups that SIMH may have some "extras" you didn't
    have available on a real CP/M system which might save you a
    few steps.

    Regards,

    --
    dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield

  11. Re: AltairZ80 simulator updated

    On Jun 5, 5:03 am, Dave.Dunfi...@use.techsupport.link.on.my.website
    (Dave Dunfield) wrote:
    > >However, in spite of looking at dozens of websites that make reference to
    > >both the simulator and to P112 and IMD disk image formats, I have not
    > >found a simple explanation of the manner in which one constructs such a
    > >disk image from a Linux environment.

    > I can't speak for P112, however the defails of the ImageDisk IMD format
    > are provided in the package (even if you can't run the program, you should
    > be able to read the .TXT documentation).
    >
    > I have placed the IMD format specification into the public domain, so you
    > are free to create and use .IMD files any way you see fit. I have also released
    > the source code to ImageDisk as well as it's utilities which manipulate .IMD
    > files, and support and encourage anyone who wishes to develop similar
    > tools for other platforms.
    >
    > In the meantime - my ImageDisk programs runs under plain and simple
    > DOS - assuming you have no DOS partition at all, you could still run it with
    > something like:
    >
    > - Create a DOS boot floppy (MsDOS, PcDOS, Win9x, FreeDos etc.),
    > set it up with a nice big RAMdisk, and copy on ImageDisk and any
    > other useful tools you might want (ZIP etc.)
    >
    > - Boot the disk, switch to the RAMdisk and copy ImageDisk and the
    > utilities (You can setup an Autoexec.bat to do this when you boot).
    >
    > - Use ImageDisk to read your CP/M floppies into .IMD files on the
    > RAM disk.
    >
    > - Put in a blank DOS formatted floppy and copy the .IMD files to it
    > You can fit several typical CP/M images on a 1.44n HD floppy,
    > more if you use ZIP.
    >
    > - Reboot to linux, mount the DOS floppy containing the .IMD images
    > and copy them to your linix partition.
    >
    > >Or, alternatively, a way to get binaries, such as .LBR files or .COM
    > >files, into the simulator from the outside. Obviously, they won't go
    > >through the PTR: interface unless converted into Intel HEX somehow.

    > Exactly the same way as one would import foregin files into a real
    > CP/M system - I posted a note about this yesterday, however I see
    > from other followups that SIMH may have some "extras" you didn't
    > have available on a real CP/M system which might save you a
    > few steps.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > dave06a@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
    > dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield
    > com Some stuff I have for sale: www.dunfield.com/sale

    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't run MSDOS or Windows here at all
    but I suppose I might be able to find a DOS emulator as well. It just
    seems like a pretty contorted approach, and I feel as if I'm just
    missing a point in the simulator capabilities. Obviously this is
    something everyone has to be able to do.

    I've used CP/M a fair amount years ago, but always had real disk
    drives so getting the initial programs into the machine to set up a
    desired environment was just a straightforward matter of obtaining a
    suitable floppy already loaded with some programs to bootstrap the
    process. Now It's a major hunt and scratch to find those old public
    domain programs at all, let alone the ones that were commercial
    products.

    --Gary

+ Reply to Thread