Personality/Decoder Board - CP/M

This is a discussion on Personality/Decoder Board - CP/M ; Hi All, I would like to get a copy of the schematic for the Peronality/Decoder board that works with the turborom. It looks like there are two different versions of this board and if possible I would like copies of ...

  1. Personality/Decoder Board

    Hi All,

    I would like to get a copy of the schematic for the Peronality/Decoder
    board that works with the turborom. It looks like there are two
    different versions of this board and if possible I would like copies of
    both. Not trying to be greedy but would like to evaluate each of them.
    If there is any interest, and the material isn't copyrighted anymore, I
    can do a board layout of each and make the gerber files available to
    all that want them. I've been doing schematic CAD for about 20 years
    and PCB layout for about 10 so It won't be very difficult for me to
    clone these boards.

    Thanks
    Don

  2. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    On 27 Jan 2006 11:36:20 -0800, "Don" wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I would like to get a copy of the schematic for the Peronality/Decoder
    >board that works with the turborom. It looks like there are two
    >different versions of this board and if possible I would like copies of
    >both. Not trying to be greedy but would like to evaluate each of them.
    >If there is any interest, and the material isn't copyrighted anymore, I
    >can do a board layout of each and make the gerber files available to
    >all that want them. I've been doing schematic CAD for about 20 years
    >and PCB layout for about 10 so It won't be very difficult for me to
    >clone these boards.

    Don,

    Anyone get back to you on this. I have ugly scans of the schematic
    and a few pages about it.

    Allison

  3. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    Allison,

    No, not a word yet. Ugly scans are better than no scans. :-) I'll take
    what ever I can get.

    Thanks
    Don

  4. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    On 28 Jan 2006 19:34:26 -0800, "Don" wrote:

    >Allison,
    >
    >No, not a word yet. Ugly scans are better than no scans. :-) I'll take
    >what ever I can get.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Don

    is micronut a good address?

    Allison

  5. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    Yep. :-) I use that address when it gets broadcast over the net. I go
    to the main AT&T mail server to access it which allows me to scan for
    spam before it gets downloaded to my system. I'll give you a better
    email address from there.

    Thanks
    Don

  6. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    Hello Don/Allison
    I am also interested in the Personality/decoder Board.
    Please let me know if I can a copy of it.

    Thanks
    Jos

    "Don" schreef in bericht
    news:1138545310.053600.287060@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Yep. :-) I use that address when it gets broadcast over the net. I go
    > to the main AT&T mail server to access it which allows me to scan for
    > spam before it gets downloaded to my system. I'll give you a better
    > email address from there.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Don

  7. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    I'll leave it to Don to send a copy or if he cares to arrange for
    a site it can be posted to assuming copyright issues are resolved.

    Allison

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:51:30 +0100, "j.e. van der geest"
    wrote:

    >Hello Don/Allison
    >I am also interested in the Personality/decoder Board.
    >Please let me know if I can a copy of it.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Jos
    >
    >"Don" schreef in bericht
    >news:1138545310.053600.287060@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >> Yep. :-) I use that address when it gets broadcast over the net. I go
    >> to the main AT&T mail server to access it which allows me to scan for
    >> spam before it gets downloaded to my system. I'll give you a better
    >> email address from there.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Don

  8. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    wrote:

    >Hello Don/Allison
    >I am also interested in the Personality/decoder Board.
    >Please let me know if I can a copy of it.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Jos
    >
    >"Don" schreef in bericht
    >news:1138545310.053600.287060@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >> Yep. :-) I use that address when it gets broadcast over the net. I go
    >> to the main AT&T mail server to access it which allows me to scan for
    >> spam before it gets downloaded to my system. I'll give you a better
    >> email address from there.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Don

    I also am interested in the scan and would appreciate if some would
    forward along to me.

    address is bjlyons1 at hot mail dot com

    Thanks.

    Brian

  9. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    I'm assuming that we're talking about Appendix E in the TurboROM
    User's Manual. I've got "0816D1 Rev. B" in front of me.

    Allison, is this what you have, or do you have your own notes?

    There was an article in the later issues of The Computer Journal
    on how to construct the functional equivalent of this board.

    Also, concerning accessing MSDOS floppies, Plu*Perfect Systems
    had a utility that shipped with MultiCopy called DosDisk that
    was memory-resident and largely transparent to CP/M (or ZSDOS in
    my case). It even allowed access to subdirectories. No idea
    about the copyright status of that.
    --
    Jeff Wieland

  10. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:22:29 +0000 (UTC), Jeff Wieland
    wrote:

    >I'm assuming that we're talking about Appendix E in the TurboROM
    >User's Manual. I've got "0816D1 Rev. B" in front of me.
    >
    >Allison, is this what you have, or do you have your own notes?

    I have 0816D1 rev A and the docs are marginal. Its appendix D in that
    version.

    >There was an article in the later issues of The Computer Journal
    >on how to construct the functional equivalent of this board.

    I don't have it, that would likely help others.

    The board itself and the few parts on it are trivial. The problems
    are the Kaypros run the gamut in mods and configurations and this
    (D1revA) manual is near useless. I was able to puzzel it out eight
    years ago but without pulling it from under a big pile (redesigning
    room) I cant verify anything.

    >Also, concerning accessing MSDOS floppies, Plu*Perfect Systems
    >had a utility that shipped with MultiCopy called DosDisk that
    >was memory-resident and largely transparent to CP/M (or ZSDOS in
    >my case). It even allowed access to subdirectories. No idea
    >about the copyright status of that.

    Mine had Uniform and MFdisk.

    Allison

  11. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    Jeff Wieland wrote:

    > Also, concerning accessing MSDOS floppies, Plu*Perfect Systems
    > had a utility that shipped with MultiCopy called DosDisk that
    > was memory-resident and largely transparent to CP/M (or ZSDOS in
    > my case). It even allowed access to subdirectories. No idea
    > about the copyright status of that.

    AFAIK, Bridger Mitchell hold the copyright on DosDisk. I haven't heard
    from nor talked with him in, ugh, 20 years?? (Damn, where does the time go?)

    It might be worth trying to get in touch with him about the older stuff.

    Hal, have you heard from Bridger at all?

    Steve

  12. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 17:52:58 -0500
    "Steven N. Hirsch" wrote:

    > Jeff Wieland wrote:
    >
    > > Also, concerning accessing MSDOS floppies, Plu*Perfect Systems
    > > had a utility that shipped with MultiCopy called DosDisk that
    > > was memory-resident and largely transparent to CP/M (or ZSDOS in
    > > my case). It even allowed access to subdirectories. No idea
    > > about the copyright status of that.

    > AFAIK, Bridger Mitchell hold the copyright on DosDisk.

    > Hal, have you heard from Bridger at all?

    Yes. Thanks to Jay Sage, I got in touch with him back in 2001. He no
    longer had any 8-bit stuff left, and waxed very nostalgic on the fun we
    had in the community. He gave me permission to fix a Y2K bug in the
    date stamping and to then release DosDisk. His permission also covered
    some work to allow it to handle disk formats other than the DOS 360 kB.
    (Another project still in the mill, not finished). I use DosDisk to get
    stuff up to my Web Page from the 8-bitters.

    Now to locate where I put that work in progress...

  13. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    Would it be possible to get a copy of Multicopy and Dosdisk? My copy of
    uniform seems to have trouble reading MSDOS disks. It worked fine
    before I installed the TurboROM but now seems to be broke. :-)

    Thanks
    Don

  14. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    Would it be possible to get a copy of Multicopy and Dosdisk? My copy of
    uniform seems to have trouble reading MSDOS disks. It worked fine
    before I installed the TurboROM but now seems to be broke. :-)

    Thanks
    Don

  15. Re: Personality/Decoder Board

    Hi All,

    I have a cleaned up schematic and PCB layout done for the
    Personality/Decoder Board. It was done using ExpressPCB's software. If
    anybody wants a copy let me know. You will need ExpressPCB's software
    (it's free) to open the schematic and/or PCB files. I also have the
    files as a pdf file for viewing.

    Don

+ Reply to Thread