Collections of OLD stuffs - CP/M

This is a discussion on Collections of OLD stuffs - CP/M ; Maybe this is old news.... Anybody know anything about this: http://cd.textfiles.com/ I noticed some CP/M 80 in the list Looks like maybe 3-4 CDs .. or more? Bill...

  1. Collections of OLD stuffs

    Maybe this is old news....

    Anybody know anything about this: http://cd.textfiles.com/

    I noticed some CP/M 80 in the list

    Looks like maybe 3-4 CDs .. or more?

    Bill

  2. Re: Collections of OLD stuffs

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:09:30 -0500, Bill
    wrote:

    >Maybe this is old news....
    >
    >Anybody know anything about this: http://cd.textfiles.com/
    >
    >I noticed some CP/M 80 in the list
    >
    >Looks like maybe 3-4 CDs .. or more?

    Maybe I shouldn't have said anything.....

    At the bottom of the list it says something about 211 GIGABYTES!

    I hope people don't start trying to grab whole CD's and
    cause these folks to shut the site down.....

    Bill

  3. Re: Collections of OLD stuffs

    Bill wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:09:30 -0500, Bill
    > wrote:

    >>Maybe this is old news....
    >>
    >>Anybody know anything about this: http://cd.textfiles.com/
    >>
    >>I noticed some CP/M 80 in the list
    >>
    >>Looks like maybe 3-4 CDs .. or more?

    > Maybe I shouldn't have said anything.....

    > At the bottom of the list it says something about 211 GIGABYTES!

    > I hope people don't start trying to grab whole CD's and
    > cause these folks to shut the site down.....

    They're missing the Walnut Creek CPM CD. I just now offered this and
    some old BBS archives.

    --
    David Griffith

  4. Re: Collections of OLD stuffs

    Hallo Bill,

    > At the bottom of the list it says something about 211 GIGABYTES!

    I only see nine numbers, so I guess it is 211 MEGAbytes

    Groetjes, Ruud

  5. Re: Collections of OLD stuffs

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:25:06 GMT, dgriffi@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave
    Griffith) wrote:

    >They're missing the Walnut Creek CPM CD. I just now offered this and
    >some old BBS archives.

    I don't think so ... seems to me there's an older, two disc set, then
    there's a newer single disc...try looking under Simtel....

    Bill

  6. Re: Collections of OLD stuffs

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 03:16:38 -0700 (PDT), Ruud
    wrote:

    >Hallo Bill,
    >

    >> At the bottom of the list it says something about 211 GIGABYTES!

    >I only see nine numbers, so I guess it is 211 MEGAbytes

    Well yeah but couldn't you fit that onto ONE cd three times over?

    Bill

  7. Re: Collections of OLD stuffs

    On Apr 10, 11:15*am, Bill wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 03:16:38 -0700 (PDT), Ruud
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hallo Bill,

    > >> At the bottom of the list it says something about 211 GIGABYTES!

    > >I only see nine numbers, so I guess it is 211 MEGAbytes

    > Well yeah but couldn't you fit that onto ONE cd three times over?
    >
    > Bill

    If the CP/M software was on CD originallt, how did you get it over to
    your machine back then? Serial cable? Did anyone ever have a CD drive
    running on a CP/M system?

    Bill H

  8. Re: Collections of OLD stuffs

    On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:19:02 -0700 (PDT), Bill H
    wrote:

    >On Apr 10, 11:15*am, Bill wrote:
    >> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 03:16:38 -0700 (PDT), Ruud
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hallo Bill,

    >> >I only see nine numbers, so I guess it is 211 MEGAbytes

    >> Well yeah but couldn't you fit that onto ONE cd three times over?
    >>
    >> Bill

    >If the CP/M software was on CD originallt, how did you get it over to
    >your machine back then? Serial cable? Did anyone ever have a CD drive
    >running on a CP/M system?
    >
    >Bill H

    Well, yes and no.

    Starting with Vidlink in 1982 to control a video disk player with a
    Commodore 64 Kildall said they sold a few thousand of those.

    But as he descibed it, the biggest problem was lack of material,
    although they used scenes from Flashdance and he thought at
    least the bucket of water one was memorable.

    He moved on to putting together an interactive Grolier Encyclopedia
    on laser disc, and later in 1983 he claimed the CD ROM version was
    the first CD application to be published.

    At the time, even the PC was no match for the requirements of
    mastering/writing CDs, so he bought a used Vax 11/750 from
    Atari's firesale, set it up in his garage, and used that.

    CD ROM pretty much came at the very end of CP/M, and at
    the beginning of DR DOS, which could support them.

    But since there was a lot of CP/M software floating around, and
    in those days, the CD ROM people quickly ran out of anything useful
    to put on them, every bit of software got loaded on, sometimes
    ignoring anything so mundane as Copyrights.

    Bill

  9. Re: Collections of OLD stuffs

    Bill wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:25:06 GMT, dgriffi@cs.csbuak.edu (Dave
    > Griffith) wrote:

    >>They're missing the Walnut Creek CPM CD. I just now offered this and
    >>some old BBS archives.

    > I don't think so ... seems to me there's an older, two disc set, then
    > there's a newer single disc...try looking under Simtel....

    I looked and didn't see anything that looked CP/M related.
    Which ones are the Walnut Creek CPM CD's?

    -- glen

  10. Re: Collections of OLD stuffs

    Bill H wrote:

    > If the CP/M software was on CD originallt, how did you get it over to
    > your machine back then? Serial cable? Did anyone ever have a CD drive
    > running on a CP/M system?

    Back in the day? Hmm.. Well, nowadays there are people using CD drives
    on P112s

    --
    David Griffith

  11. Re: Collections of OLD stuffs

    wrote:

    >On Apr 10, 11:15*am, Bill wrote:
    >> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 03:16:38 -0700 (PDT), Ruud
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hallo Bill,

    >> >I only see nine numbers, so I guess it is 211 MEGAbytes

    >> Well yeah but couldn't you fit that onto ONE cd three times over?
    >>
    >> Bill

    >If the CP/M software was on CD originallt, how did you get it over to
    >your machine back then? Serial cable? Did anyone ever have a CD drive
    >running on a CP/M system?
    >
    >Bill H

    transfered from PC... Thats how I did it with my copy of the WC
    Cdrom... and before that simtel and Market via modem.

    Allison

  12. Re: Collections of OLD stuffs

    On Apr 9, 9:18 pm, Bill wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 20:09:30 -0500, Bill
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Maybe this is old news....

    > >Anybody know anything about this:http://cd.textfiles.com/

    > >I noticed some CP/M 80 in the list

    > >Looks like maybe 3-4 CDs .. or more?

    > Maybe I shouldn't have said anything.....
    >
    > At the bottom of the list it says something about 211 GIGABYTES!
    >
    > I hope people don't start trying to grab whole CD's and
    > cause these folks to shut the site down.....
    >
    > Bill

    I don't think its a worry ... looks to me like they have some kind of
    download speed limit in place, so a person downloading an individual
    80's era zip is going to find it a lot more rewarding experience than
    an individual trying to download whole CD's at one time.

  13. Re: Collections of OLD stuffs

    > >Anybody know anything about this: http://cd.textfiles.com/
    > >
    > >I noticed some CP/M 80 in the list
    > >
    > >Looks like maybe 3-4 CDs .. or more?

    > Maybe I shouldn't have said anything.....

    > At the bottom of the list it says something about 211 GIGABYTES!

    > I hope people don't start trying to grab whole CD's and
    > cause these folks to shut the site down.....

    The stuff is there to be downloaded; Jason is unlikely to shut down
    the site, though if you get too rude about downloading, ip restrictions
    have been known to appear.

    His "BBS Documentary" is probably fairly close to on-topic for this
    newsgroup, btw.

    De

+ Reply to Thread