Re: WANTED: Volunteer to Scan Old Programs - CP/M

This is a discussion on Re: WANTED: Volunteer to Scan Old Programs - CP/M ; *Bill* wrote on Sun, 08-03-23 23:25: >Among the PAY services, I like Forte, Just about every internet access provider includes Usenet access in the package. And even thoses with a limited access to groups will usually carry comp.os.*. So if ...

  1. Re: WANTED: Volunteer to Scan Old Programs

    *Bill* wrote on Sun, 08-03-23 23:25:
    >Among the PAY services, I like Forte,

    Just about every internet access provider includes Usenet access in the
    package. And even thoses with a limited access to groups will usually
    carry comp.os.*.
    So if you have access at all, I see not need to pay any extra.

  2. Re: WANTED: Volunteer to Scan Old Programs

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 03:20:00 +0100, Axel_Berger@b.maus.de (Axel
    Berger) wrote:

    >*Bill* wrote on Sun, 08-03-23 23:25:
    >>Among the PAY services, I like Forte,

    >Just about every internet access provider includes Usenet access in the
    >package. And even thoses with a limited access to groups will usually
    >carry comp.os.*.
    >So if you have access at all, I see not need to pay any extra.

    I know that, Axel.

    Those ISPs negotiate for (usually) minimal retention and are willing
    to accept a higher percentage of 'incompletes'.

    Forte's comp.os.cpm goes back to around 2003

    Does that tell you anything?

    And, even if 'something happens', and messages get lost, they
    generally get a complete re-build back on line again.

    There are something like 65,000 newsgroups these days.
    I've heard estimates the traffic is now over 3 terabytes a day.

    Bill

  3. Re: WANTED: Volunteer to Scan Old Programs

    *Bill* wrote on Mon, 08-03-24 21:49:
    >I know that, Axel.

    But does Emmanuel?

    >Forte's comp.os.cpm goes back to around 2003

    Well, to be honest, the MAUS I go through retains a few days at most. I
    use it to read and participate, like Emmanuel does his café mostly, and
    if I really want to search in the archives I go through Google.

    It's good to know the archives are there, but I don't really need them
    with my particular ISP.

    --
    Tschö wa
    Axel

  4. Re: WANTED: Volunteer to Scan Old Programs

    Group: comp.os.cpm Date: Mon, Mar 24, 2008, 3:20am (CDT+6) From:
    Axel_Berger@b.maus.de (Axel*Berger)

    script:

    >>Among the PAY services, I like Forte,

    >Just about every internet access
    >provider includes Usenet access
    >in the package. And even thoses
    >with a limited access to groups
    >will usually carry comp.os.*.
    >
    >So if you have access at all, I see
    >not need to pay any extra.

    I use the (free) aioe.org

    salaam,
    dowcom

    To e-mail me, add the character zero to "dowcom". i.e.:
    dowcom(zero)(at)webtv(dot)net.

    --
    http://community.webtv.net/dowcom/DOWCOMSAMSTRADGUIDE

    MSWindows is television,… Linux is radar.

+ Reply to Thread