Help copying Kaypro discs sought - CP/M

This is a discussion on Help copying Kaypro discs sought - CP/M ; I am looking for help from somebody who is able to copy 3 Kaypro single sided discs (191K as I recall). I've become interested again in Fancy Font, a text formatter that sends its output to Epson dot matrix printers ...

  1. Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    I am looking for help from somebody who is able to copy 3 Kaypro
    single sided discs (191K as I recall). I've become interested again in
    Fancy Font, a text formatter that sends its output to Epson dot matrix
    printers with graphic capabilities. The author, Bob Fenchel, was kind
    enough to send me these discs when I asked him for them. He would like
    them returned to him when I'm done with them.

    I own an Epson dot matrix printer but will be using an Epson emulator
    (DOSPrinter) to print on my more modern inkjet (and possibly laser)
    printers.

    What I am looking for is 3 .zip files, one w/ the files on the first
    disc, one w/ the files on the second disc and the last w/ the files on
    the last disc.

    Why I didn't back up my original copies to 3 1/2" floppies is beyond
    me.

    Elliam Associates is out of business in case you didn't know. They
    used to distribute CP/M software and provided disc conversion
    services.

    Lee

  2. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    Lee wrote:
    > I am looking for help from somebody who is able to copy 3 Kaypro
    > single sided discs (191K as I recall). I've become interested again in
    > Fancy Font, a text formatter that sends its output to Epson dot matrix
    > printers with graphic capabilities. The author, Bob Fenchel, was kind
    > enough to send me these discs when I asked him for them. He would like
    > them returned to him when I'm done with them.
    >
    > I own an Epson dot matrix printer but will be using an Epson emulator
    > (DOSPrinter) to print on my more modern inkjet (and possibly laser)
    > printers.
    >
    > What I am looking for is 3 .zip files, one w/ the files on the first
    > disc, one w/ the files on the second disc and the last w/ the files on
    > the last disc.
    >
    > Why I didn't back up my original copies to 3 1/2" floppies is beyond
    > me.
    >
    > Elliam Associates is out of business in case you didn't know. They
    > used to distribute CP/M software and provided disc conversion
    > services.
    >
    > Lee

    Why aren't you helping yourself with such programs like 22DISK ( see at
    http://www.gaby.de/downl.htm ) or David Dunfield's ImageDisk ( see at
    http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/ ) ?
    Also, UniForm or SuperCopy are PC Tools which are helpful too, but you
    have to use an older AT or PC/XT.

    Regards
    Peter

  3. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    On Mar 24, 12:10 pm, Peter Dassow wrote:
    > Lee wrote:
    > > I am looking for help from somebody who is able to copy 3 Kaypro
    > > single sided discs (191K as I recall). I've become interested again in
    > > Fancy Font, a text formatter that sends its output to Epson dot matrix
    > > printers with graphic capabilities. The author, Bob Fenchel, was kind
    > > enough to send me these discs when I asked him for them. He would like
    > > them returned to him when I'm done with them.

    > > I own an Epson dot matrix printer but will be using an Epson emulator
    > > (DOSPrinter) to print on my more modern inkjet (and possibly laser)
    > > printers.

    > > What I am looking for is 3 .zip files, one w/ the files on the first
    > > disc, one w/ the files on the second disc and the last w/ the files on
    > > the last disc.

    > > Why I didn't back up my original copies to 3 1/2" floppies is beyond
    > > me.

    > > Elliam Associates is out of business in case you didn't know. They
    > > used to distribute CP/M software and provided disc conversion
    > > services.

    > > Lee

    > Why aren't you helping yourself with such programs like 22DISK ( see athttp://www.gaby.de/downl.htm) or David Dunfield's ImageDisk ( see athttp://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/) ?
    > Also, UniForm or SuperCopy are PC Tools which are helpful too, but you
    > have to use an older AT or PC/XT.
    >
    > Regards
    > Peter

    Because I don't have a 5 1/4" drive. I could buy one, and may yet. But
    then I'd have to buy a new computer that has a more modern OS and USB
    port which I expect will be required to hook the drive and the
    computer together. I own 22DISK. I've been close to buying a new
    computer for several years (mine's 10 years old) but have not done so
    yet.

    Thanks for the suggestion Peter.

    Lee

    I suppose I could buy a 5 1/4" drive and stick it in a real bay and
    cable it but I've heard there are USB cabled drives and would prefer
    this approach.

  4. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 07:36:45 -0700 (PDT), Lee
    wrote:

    >I am looking for help from somebody who is able to copy 3 Kaypro
    >single sided discs (191K as I recall).

    There's a couple Kaypros sitting in my family room - you're welcome
    to use them if you get through the area. I'm 'sposed to clean them up
    and list 'em on eBay ... yeah, like that'll ever happen!

    Bill

  5. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    On Mar 24, 4:54 pm, Bill wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 07:36:45 -0700 (PDT), Lee
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I am looking for help from somebody who is able to copy 3 Kaypro
    > >single sided discs (191K as I recall).

    > There's a couple Kaypros sitting in my family room - you're welcome
    > to use them if you get through the area. I'm 'sposed to clean them up
    > and list 'em on eBay ... yeah, like that'll ever happen!
    >
    > Bill

    Thanks, but even a Kaypro in MY living room wouldn't help. Unless it
    had an internet connection :-) .

    I need someone w/ a PC w/ a 5 1/4" drive, 22DISK and a 3 1/2" drive.
    Then I could be sent the 3 1/2" "stiffies." Or, someone w/ a PC w/ a 5
    1/4" inch drive, 22DISK and an internet connection. Then the .zips
    could emailed.

    This thread could get REAL interesting. How many replies will it take
    to produce what I need? :-)

    Lee

  6. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    Lee wrote:

    > I suppose I could buy a 5 1/4" drive and stick it in a real bay and
    > cable it but I've heard there are USB cabled drives and would prefer
    > this approach.

    If you find a USB cabled 5-1/4" drive, could you let us know where
    you found it? There are a lot of people on this list looking for one.

  7. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    "Lee" wrote in message

    > I am looking for help from somebody who is able to copy 3 Kaypro
    > single sided discs (191K as I recall). I've become interested again in
    > Fancy Font, a text formatter that sends its output to Epson dot matrix
    > printers with graphic capabilities. The author, Bob Fenchel, was kind
    > enough to send me these discs when I asked him for them. He would like
    > them returned to him when I'm done with them.
    >
    > I own an Epson dot matrix printer but will be using an Epson emulator
    > (DOSPrinter) to print on my more modern inkjet (and possibly laser)
    > printers.

    If you can't find any other way, I'd be willing to create the ZIP files for you,
    gratis (free even!) I'd need the disks, of course. What I do is to put them in
    my Commodore 128D (which can read many CP/M formats including Kaypro)
    drive then copy the files via serial port to the PC and ZIP them from there. I
    can put them on 3.5" floppies or all three on a CD if you'd prefer.

    Tom Lake

  8. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    Lee schrieb:
    > I am looking for help from somebody who is able to copy 3 Kaypro
    > single sided discs (191K as I recall). I've become interested again in
    > Fancy Font, a text formatter that sends its output to Epson dot matrix

    maybe this will help?

    http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/text/Ffont.zip

  9. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    On Mar 25, 12:09 pm, fritz chwolka wrote:
    > Lee schrieb:
    >
    > > I am looking for help from somebody who is able to copy 3 Kaypro
    > > single sided discs (191K as I recall). I've become interested again in
    > > Fancy Font, a text formatter that sends its output to Epson dot matrix

    > maybe this will help?
    >
    > http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/text/Ffont.zip

    Sure does! Thanks. Now I can send the floppies back to the author!

    However ...

    I find that Fancy Font has no capability to send its output to
    anything but a real printer. As I really want to print on a modern
    inkjet instead of a real Epson 9pin printer what I need is some way of
    redirecting what's sent to a printer to a file. I would then export
    the file from the MYZ80 emulator environment to the DOS environment.
    Then I could use DOSPrinter (an Epson emulator) to print the file.

    I seem to remember a CP/M program that captured SCREEN output and put
    it in a file. Seems to me changing such a program to capture PRINTER
    output and put it in a file would do the trick. Of course I can't
    remember the name of the program that did this, let alone find its
    source code.

    Thanks so much everybody so far for offering to copy the discs.
    Several people sent me private messages offering to do it. I will get
    back to them to say it's in retroarchive.org. It seems even the author
    of the software is not aware of this.

    If anyone can find the source to the program that captures SCREEN
    output and sends it to a file, I'll see if I can figure out how to
    change it to capture PRINTER output to a file. It's probably a one
    byte change.

    If this program can't be located, anybody know how to go about writing
    such a program? Seems like an incredibly useful thing.

    Lee

  10. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    Lee wrote:
    : I find that Fancy Font has no capability to send its output to
    : anything but a real printer. As I really want to print on a modern
    : inkjet instead of a real Epson 9pin printer what I need is some way of
    : redirecting what's sent to a printer to a file. I would then export
    : the file from the MYZ80 emulator environment to the DOS environment.
    : Then I could use DOSPrinter (an Epson emulator) to print the file.

    Under CP/M 3, you can use the PUT command to do this, either for the
    duration of the next program:

    PUT PRINTER FILE output.txt
    yourcommand

    or until told otherwise:

    PUT PRINTER FILE output.txt [SYSTEM]
    command
    anothercommand
    morestuff
    PUT PRINTER PRINTER

    --
    John Elliott

    Thinks: This is what a nice clean life leads to. Hmm, why did I ever lead one?
    -- Bluebottle, in the Goon Show

  11. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    Hello Lee,

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:40:41 -0700 (PDT), Lee wrote:

    >If anyone can find the source to the program that captures SCREEN
    >output and sends it to a file, I'll see if I can figure out how to
    >change it to capture PRINTER output to a file. It's probably a one
    >byte change.

    Perhaps helps you the following URL.

    http://z80cpu.eu/mirrors/oak.oakland.edu/cpm/epson/

    http://ftp.gaby.de/pub/cpm/znode51/germany/misc_lz/

    http://ftp.gaby.de/pub/cpm/znode51/g...lz/roff161.com

    http://ftp.gaby.de/pub/cpm/znode51/g...c_lz/roff4.dok

    ROFF4, V1.50 Text Formatter

    http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdro...OLS100/VOL126/

    Executable formatter program

    http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdro...L126/ROFF4.COM

    http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdro...L126/ROFF4.DOC

    ROFF 4 V1.60 Text Formatter

    http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdro...OLS100/VOL174/

    ROFF4 Update

    http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdro...OLS100/VOL195/

    http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/cdro...5/ROFF4161.LBR

    And Small-C Small-Tools FNT (Font) and FMT (Format) Book by
    Mark&Technik Nr. Disk 1 MP 101 /09028769 and Disk 2 MP 101 /09028755

    Rolf

  12. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    Lee wrote:
    > On Mar 25, 12:09 pm, fritz chwolka wrote:
    >> Lee schrieb:
    >>
    >>> I am looking for help from somebody who is able to copy 3 Kaypro
    >>> single sided discs (191K as I recall). I've become interested again in
    >>> Fancy Font, a text formatter that sends its output to Epson dot matrix

    >> maybe this will help?
    >>
    >> http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/text/Ffont.zip

    > Sure does! Thanks. Now I can send the floppies back to the author!
    >
    > However ...
    >
    > I find that Fancy Font has no capability to send its output to
    > anything but a real printer. As I really want to print on a modern
    > inkjet instead of a real Epson 9pin printer what I need is some way of
    > redirecting what's sent to a printer to a file. I would then export
    > the file from the MYZ80 emulator environment to the DOS environment.
    > Then I could use DOSPrinter (an Epson emulator) to print the file.
    >
    > I seem to remember a CP/M program that captured SCREEN output and put
    > it in a file. Seems to me changing such a program to capture PRINTER
    > output and put it in a file would do the trick. Of course I can't
    > remember the name of the program that did this, let alone find its
    > source code.
    >
    > Thanks so much everybody so far for offering to copy the discs.
    > Several people sent me private messages offering to do it. I will get
    > back to them to say it's in retroarchive.org. It seems even the author
    > of the software is not aware of this.
    >
    > If anyone can find the source to the program that captures SCREEN
    > output and sends it to a file, I'll see if I can figure out how to
    > change it to capture PRINTER output to a file. It's probably a one
    > byte change.
    >
    > If this program can't be located, anybody know how to go about writing
    > such a program? Seems like an incredibly useful thing.
    >
    > Lee

    Hi Lee,

    I think that you use MYZ80 to play with old CP/M programs.
    So use a DOS utility called PRNDSK to do the trick. Before
    entering MYZ80 you have to call this DOS program and redirect
    each output to LPT1 to a file. After leaving MYZ80 you have
    to close this file via PRNDSK and then you can send it (even
    via a network) to a printer.

    Hope this helps,

    Uwe.

  13. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    On Mar 26, 6:30 am, Uwe Nass wrote:
    > Lee wrote:

    > >> maybe this will help?

    > >>http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/text/Ffont.zip

    > > Sure does! Thanks. Now I can send the floppies back to the author!

    > > However ...

    > > I find that Fancy Font has no capability to send its output to
    > > anything but a real printer. As I really want to print on a modern
    > > inkjet instead of a real Epson 9pin printer what I need is some way of
    > > redirecting what's sent to a printer to a file. I would then export
    > > the file from the MYZ80 emulator environment to the DOS environment.
    > > Then I could use DOSPrinter (an Epson emulator) to print the file.

    > > I seem to remember a CP/M program that captured SCREEN output and put
    > > it in a file. Seems to me changing such a program to capture PRINTER
    > > output and put it in a file would do the trick. Of course I can't
    > > remember the name of the program that did this, let alone find its
    > > source code.

    > > Thanks so much everybody so far for offering to copy the discs.
    > > Several people sent me private messages offering to do it. I will get
    > > back to them to say it's in retroarchive.org. It seems even the author
    > > of the software is not aware of this.

    > > If anyone can find the source to the program that captures SCREEN
    > > output and sends it to a file, I'll see if I can figure out how to
    > > change it to capture PRINTER output to a file. It's probably a one
    > > byte change.

    > > If this program can't be located, anybody know how to go about writing
    > > such a program? Seems like an incredibly useful thing.

    > > Lee

    > Hi Lee,
    >
    > I think that you use MYZ80 to play with old CP/M programs.
    > So use a DOS utility called PRNDSK to do the trick. Before
    > entering MYZ80 you have to call this DOS program and redirect
    > each output to LPT1 to a file. After leaving MYZ80 you have
    > to close this file via PRNDSK and then you can send it (even
    > via a network) to a printer.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Uwe.

    Thanks John and Uwe for your suggestions. I've tried both approaches
    and had success w/ PRNDSK. I do get a captured output file with the CP/
    M 3.0 PUT utility but when I export the file and send it to the
    printer using DOSPrinter I get "garbage." Not sure what's going on.
    Sending PRNDSK's captured output to the printer w/ DOSPrinter works.

    I've wrapped Fancy Font author Bob Fenchel's Kaypro discs and enclosed
    a note that I generated w/ Fancy Font thanking him and will put it in
    the mail today.

    Lee

  14. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    Lee wrote:
    : Thanks John and Uwe for your suggestions. I've tried both approaches
    : and had success w/ PRNDSK. I do get a captured output file with the CP/
    : M 3.0 PUT utility but when I export the file and send it to the
    : printer using DOSPrinter I get "garbage." Not sure what's going on.
    : Sending PRNDSK's captured output to the printer w/ DOSPrinter works.

    Ah. It looks like you may need to add [RAW] or [NO FILTER] to the PUT
    command to make it capture control characters. Or it may not work even then;
    the documentation isn't particularly clear on this point and the source code
    doesn't seem to agree with the documentation anyway. You're probably better
    off sticking with PRNDSK.

    --
    John Elliott

    Thinks: This is what a nice clean life leads to. Hmm, why did I ever lead one?
    -- Bluebottle, in the Goon Show

  15. Re: Help copying Kaypro discs sought

    On Mar 26, 4:01 pm, John Elliott wrote:
    > Lee wrote:
    >
    > : Thanks John and Uwe for your suggestions. I've tried both approaches
    > : and had success w/ PRNDSK. I do get a captured output file with the CP/
    > : M 3.0 PUT utility but when I export the file and send it to the
    > : printer using DOSPrinter I get "garbage." Not sure what's going on.
    > : Sending PRNDSK's captured output to the printer w/ DOSPrinter works.
    >
    > Ah. It looks like you may need to add [RAW] or [NO FILTER] to the PUT
    > command to make it capture control characters. Or it may not work even then;
    > the documentation isn't particularly clear on this point and the source code
    > doesn't seem to agree with the documentation anyway. You're probably better
    > off sticking with PRNDSK.
    >
    > --
    > John Elliott
    >
    > Thinks: This is what a nice clean life leads to. Hmm, why did I ever lead one?
    > -- Bluebottle, in the Goon Show

    Interesting. I added [RAW] and, amazingly, the first two lines printed
    out perfectly but then the "garbage" followed. I tried adding [NO
    FILTER] and even both options but no improvement. Like E. Roche would
    say, docs, source, a build script and, better yet, an agreement
    between all three, would be nice. I've embellished his take a bit,
    but ...

    Thanks,

    Lee

+ Reply to Thread