Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive - CP/M

This is a discussion on Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive - CP/M ; Hi, y'all! I've come across some documentation for installing CP/M on an Apple ProFile hard drive connected to an Apple II containing a Z-80 card. The documentation mentions a ProDOS system file named "SOFTCARD.SYSTEM" on a separate disk formatted as ...

  1. Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    Hi, y'all!

    I've come across some documentation for installing CP/M on an
    Apple ProFile hard drive connected to an Apple II containing a Z-80
    card. The documentation mentions a ProDOS system file named
    "SOFTCARD.SYSTEM" on a separate disk formatted as a ProDOS disk.
    Anyone know anything about this file or the disk it came on?

    Willi

  2. Re: Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    On Mar 21, 5:32 pm, A2Pro wrote:
    > Hi, y'all!
    >
    > I've come across some documentation for installing CP/M on an
    > Apple ProFile hard drive connected to an Apple II containing a Z-80
    > card. The documentation mentions a ProDOS system file named
    > "SOFTCARD.SYSTEM" on a separate disk formatted as a ProDOS disk.
    > Anyone know anything about this file or the disk it came on?
    >
    > Willi

    Willi,

    Check this website, it looks like they have software there that you
    can download for it.

    http://www.apple2info.net/hardware/s...d/softcard.htm

    Dean

  3. Re: Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    Hi!

    On Mar 21, 5:36 pm, Dean wrote:
    > Check this website, it looks like they have software there that you
    > can download for it.
    > http://www.apple2info.net/hardware/s...d/softcard.htm

    I've been to that site in the past and did not see anything other
    than the CP/M format disks you need to boot into CP/M on an Apple II
    equipped with a SoftCard or a clone thereof. The disk I'm looking for
    is a ProDOS disk containing a file named "SOFTCARD.SYSTEM". I'll
    recheck the site to see if I managed to overlook what I'm seeking.

    Willi

  4. Re: Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    A2Pro wrote:
    > Hi, y'all!
    >
    > I've come across some documentation for installing CP/M on an
    > Apple ProFile hard drive connected to an Apple II containing a Z-80
    > card.

    Willi, _which_ CP/M card? Microsoft had at least three different models that
    I know of. All were quite different hardware-wise.

    If you are patient, I still intend to get my universal driver for
    Applicard/Starcard out under GPL. It lets you carve a CP/M volume out of any
    ProDos volume on _any_ device - ProFile included.

    Steve

  5. Re: Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    Hi!

    On Mar 21, 7:10 pm, Steven wrote:
    > Willi, _which_ CP/M card? Microsoft had at least three different models that
    > I know of. All were quite different hardware-wise.

    I have the first SoftCard from M/$ and the SoftCard IIe. I seem
    to remember reading about a non-IIe Premium SoftCard but have never
    seen one on eBay. The documentation I found was at the front of a
    manual for the SoftCard IIe. Both sets of documentation are in a
    three ring binder but the pages on installing CP/M on a ProFile read
    as if they are NOT for the IIe version of the SoftCard. I'm assuming
    that the "SOFTCARD.SYSTEM" will work with ANY CP/M card. Even if it
    doesn't, I would LOVE to analyze the system file.

    > If you are patient, I still intend to get my universal driver for
    > Applicard/Starcard out under GPL. It lets you carve a CP/M volume out of any
    > ProDos volume on _any_ device - ProFile included.

    What if I'm NOT patient?

    By the way, the documentation I have for installing CP/M on a
    ProFile instructs one to use the ProFile Partition Manager to set up a
    Pascal volume on the ProFile and to name that volume "CP/M". Sounds
    as if "SOFTCARD.SYSTEM" is some kind of driver to let CP/M use the
    Pascal volume as its own. Apparently, it works somewhat like your
    driver, Steven.

    Willi

  6. Re: Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    A2Pro wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > On Mar 21, 7:10 pm, Steven wrote:
    >> Willi, _which_ CP/M card? Microsoft had at least three different models that
    >> I know of. All were quite different hardware-wise.

    > I have the first SoftCard from M/$ and the SoftCard IIe. I seem
    > to remember reading about a non-IIe Premium SoftCard but have never
    > seen one on eBay. The documentation I found was at the front of a
    > manual for the SoftCard IIe. Both sets of documentation are in a
    > three ring binder but the pages on installing CP/M on a ProFile read
    > as if they are NOT for the IIe version of the SoftCard. I'm assuming
    > that the "SOFTCARD.SYSTEM" will work with ANY CP/M card. Even if it
    > doesn't, I would LOVE to analyze the system file.
    >
    >> If you are patient, I still intend to get my universal driver for
    >> Applicard/Starcard out under GPL. It lets you carve a CP/M volume out of any
    >> ProDos volume on _any_ device - ProFile included.

    > What if I'm NOT patient?

    Check your mail

  7. Re: Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    Hi, y'all!

    On Mar 22, 8:39 am, Steven wrote:
    > Check your mail

    I did, thank you!!! Now, about that other thing you mentioned
    last year...

    I found an advertising card/mailer in the back of the SoftCard IIe
    manual. The tri-fold card is titled "MICROSOFT PRODUCT LINE" on the
    front. Inside, the second and third pages list 21 Micro$oft products.
    Item 13 is:
    MicroSoft SoftCard System
    Configures the CP/M-80
    operating system and prog-
    rams written for it to run on
    the Apple II.
    Item 14 is:
    MicroSoft SoftCard Plus System
    Provides the CP/M-80
    operating system and
    increased video display
    capability in one integrated
    system.
    For Apple II.
    Item 15 is:
    MicroSoft SoftCard Premium System
    Combines full CP/M-80
    capability, expanded memory
    and increased video display
    in one integrated system.
    For Apple II.
    Item 16 is:
    MicroSoft Premium SoftCard IIe Package
    Offers the CP/M-80
    operating system, 80 column video
    capability and 64K memory
    on a single circuit card.
    For Apple IIe.

    So, there were FOUR SoftCards for the Apple II line.

    Willi

  8. Re: Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    A2Pro wrote:
    > Hi, y'all!
    >
    > On Mar 22, 8:39 am, Steven wrote:
    >> Check your mail

    > I did, thank you!!! Now, about that other thing you mentioned
    > last year...

    ??? Did you not receive a mailed attachment from me? If that wasn't it, you
    better remind me privately.

    > I found an advertising card/mailer in the back of the SoftCard IIe
    > manual. The tri-fold card is titled "MICROSOFT PRODUCT LINE" on the
    > front. Inside, the second and third pages list 21 Micro$oft products.
    > Item 13 is:
    > MicroSoft SoftCard System
    > Configures the CP/M-80
    > operating system and prog-
    > rams written for it to run on
    > the Apple II.

    The original SoftCard.

    > Item 14 is:
    > MicroSoft SoftCard Plus System
    > Provides the CP/M-80
    > operating system and
    > increased video display
    > capability in one integrated
    > system.
    > For Apple II.

    I _think_ this is just an original SoftCard packaged with an 80-column board.

    > Item 15 is:
    > MicroSoft SoftCard Premium System
    > Combines full CP/M-80
    > capability, expanded memory
    > and increased video display
    > in one integrated system.
    > For Apple II.

    Also based on original SoftCard hardware, but something else is bundled also.

    > Item 16 is:
    > MicroSoft Premium SoftCard IIe Package
    > Offers the CP/M-80
    > operating system, 80 column video
    > capability and 64K memory
    > on a single circuit card.
    > For Apple IIe.

    This is completely different hardware that goes in the Aux slot of a IIe

    What this list misses completely is the last such offering, the SoftCard II.
    It was designed for use in Slot 1-7 of a II, IIe and IIg. Probably came out
    after the manual you're looking at.

    I've been wrong before, but I really think there were only (3) distinct
    hardware versions.

    Steve

  9. Re: Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    Steven Hirsch wrote:
    > A2Pro wrote:
    >> Hi, y'all!
    >>
    >> On Mar 22, 8:39 am, Steven wrote:
    >>> Check your mail

    >> I did, thank you!!! Now, about that other thing you mentioned
    >> last year...

    > ??? Did you not receive a mailed attachment from me? If that wasn't
    > it, you better remind me privately.
    >
    >> I found an advertising card/mailer in the back of the SoftCard IIe
    >> manual. The tri-fold card is titled "MICROSOFT PRODUCT LINE" on the
    >> front. Inside, the second and third pages list 21 Micro$oft products.
    >> Item 13 is:
    >> MicroSoft SoftCard System
    >> Configures the CP/M-80
    >> operating system and prog-
    >> rams written for it to run on
    >> the Apple II.

    > The original SoftCard.
    >
    >> Item 14 is:
    >> MicroSoft SoftCard Plus System
    >> Provides the CP/M-80
    >> operating system and
    >> increased video display
    >> capability in one integrated
    >> system.
    >> For Apple II.

    > I _think_ this is just an original SoftCard packaged with an 80-column
    > board.

    + the Videx 80 column card

    >> Item 15 is:
    >> MicroSoft SoftCard Premium System
    >> Combines full CP/M-80
    >> capability, expanded memory
    >> and increased video display
    >> in one integrated system.
    >> For Apple II.

    > Also based on original SoftCard hardware, but something else is bundled
    > also.

    + the Microsoft 16K Ramcard

    >> Item 16 is:
    >> MicroSoft Premium SoftCard IIe Package
    >> Offers the CP/M-80
    >> operating system, 80 column video
    >> capability and 64K memory
    >> on a single circuit card.
    >> For Apple IIe.

    > This is completely different hardware that goes in the Aux slot of a IIe

    I have one but it assumes an unenhanced IIe. With an enhanced IIe, the
    MouseText characters show up instead of the intended characters. Anyone
    have one that works with an enhanced IIe?

    > What this list misses completely is the last such offering, the
    > SoftCard II. It was designed for use in Slot 1-7 of a II, IIe and IIg.
    > Probably came out after the manual you're looking at.
    >
    > I've been wrong before, but I really think there were only (3) distinct
    > hardware versions.
    >
    > Steve

    On my Apple III, I was able to make a CP/M partition (just a big
    continuous file) on the Profile using tools that came with the SoftCard
    III. Getting something to work with ProDOS shouldn't have been a big leap.

    Dave...

  10. Re: Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    In David Schmenk wrote:

    > On my Apple III, I was able to make a CP/M partition (just a big
    > continuous file) on the Profile using tools that came with the
    > SoftCard III. Getting something to work with ProDOS shouldn't have
    > been a big leap.
    >
    > Dave...

    ALS's 'The CP/M CARD' supported running from a disk image on a ProDOS
    disk. It was originally intended for running from the ProFile hard drive,
    but booted this way it continues to use the ProDOS drivers, so it will
    work with any ProDOS drive. It even uses the ProDOS real-time clock
    driver.

    http://roger.geek.nz/apple2/cpm.html

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz

  11. Re: Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In David Schmenk wrote:
    >
    >> On my Apple III, I was able to make a CP/M partition (just a big
    >> continuous file) on the Profile using tools that came with the
    >> SoftCard III. Getting something to work with ProDOS shouldn't have
    >> been a big leap.
    >>
    >> Dave...

    > ALS's 'The CP/M CARD' supported running from a disk image on a ProDOS
    > disk. It was originally intended for running from the ProFile hard drive,
    > but booted this way it continues to use the ProDOS drivers, so it will
    > work with any ProDOS drive. It even uses the ProDOS real-time clock
    > driver.

    Yup. I did the same thing for the short-lived CardZ180. Kept ProDOS resident
    on the 6502 side and loaded the 6502 BIOS as a SYS application. Gave us built
    -in file transfer between the two O/S along with, as you mention, the clock
    and pretty much anything else recognized by ProDOS.

    Steve

  12. Re: Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    David Schmenk wrote:

    >>> Item 16 is:
    >>> MicroSoft Premium SoftCard IIe Package
    >>> Offers the CP/M-80
    >>> operating system, 80 column video
    >>> capability and 64K memory
    >>> on a single circuit card.
    >>> For Apple IIe.

    >> This is completely different hardware that goes in the Aux slot of a IIe

    > I have one but it assumes an unenhanced IIe. With an enhanced IIe, the
    > MouseText characters show up instead of the intended characters. Anyone
    > have one that works with an enhanced IIe?

    Somewhere I have a version of SoftCard IIe CP/M that was patched to avoid this
    issue. Murray Arnow (sometimes columnist for CALL Apple) disassembled the
    entire SoftCard IIe operating system and many of the utilities. If I can ever
    find it, I'll try to make this available.

  13. Re: Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    Steven Hirsch wrote:

    >>> This is completely different hardware that goes in the Aux slot of a IIe

    >> I have one but it assumes an unenhanced IIe. With an enhanced IIe,
    >> the MouseText characters show up instead of the intended characters.
    >> Anyone have one that works with an enhanced IIe?

    > Somewhere I have a version of SoftCard IIe CP/M that was patched to
    > avoid this issue. Murray Arnow (sometimes columnist for CALL Apple)
    > disassembled the entire SoftCard IIe operating system and many of the
    > utilities. If I can ever find it, I'll try to make this available.

    I once tried to write a quick program to send the control characters to
    turn off MouseText, but they came right back :-( If you ever come
    across the patch, I'd appreciate it,

    Dave...

  14. Re: Installing CP/M on a ProFile drive

    David Schmenk wrote:
    > Steven Hirsch wrote:

    >>> I have one but it assumes an unenhanced IIe. With an enhanced IIe,
    >>> the MouseText characters show up instead of the intended characters.
    >>> Anyone have one that works with an enhanced IIe?

    >> Somewhere I have a version of SoftCard IIe CP/M that was patched to
    >> avoid this issue. Murray Arnow (sometimes columnist for CALL Apple)
    >> disassembled the entire SoftCard IIe operating system and many of the
    >> utilities. If I can ever find it, I'll try to make this available.
    >>

    > I once tried to write a quick program to send the control characters to
    > turn off MouseText, but they came right back :-( If you ever come
    > across the patch, I'd appreciate it,

    Did they come back only after Ctrl-C? If so, there was a problem with the
    original SoftCard IIe CP/M resetting I/O after a relog. They fixed this in a
    later revision.

+ Reply to Thread